Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ask Jonman Again
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
Jonman
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Nov 29 2004, 04:28 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Where's Emmy and why isn't she answering any attempt I make at communication?

Sincerely,
p@

She's in my basement, and she's not coming out until she's finished pairing all of my socks.
Jonman
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Nov 29 2004, 06:44 PM)
Dear G-Man (DAM YOU!),

How about that weather we're having? Damn cold ain't it? Onto the question. You, with your Leicester accent and all, have to try and say:

"I ran up the grass as fast as I could."

I tried it, it's hard to not get the accent in.

It's easy for me, because I'm a posh shandy-drinking limp-wristed southern ponce.
Jonman
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Dec 1 2004, 04:53 PM)
Dear Man of Jon,

In all your planey (and hopefully other flying-thingy) type glory, can you shed some light onto why, on a fixed-pitch micro remote-control helicopter that worked perfectly (with the exception of extreme glitching due a break in the receiver aerial) before the receiver was changed to a functional one, should now experience issues such as no yaw, the gyro not gyrating, and the extremes in the cyclic channels causing the servos to glitch manically and also the throttle to increase or decrease?

Yours, conf00zed n00b

I actually used to work on Apache's (the helicopters, not the native american people) you know. Unfortunately, I'm not all that hot on remote controlled whojamaflips.

However, sounds to me as if you've still got glitchy transmissions. You've got all kinds of weirdness happening in what sounds like every control channel. My suspicion is therefore that it's a common mode problem, and seeing as you've already done some maintenance on the receiver, my guess is that there's still some wrinkles that need ironing out. Mind you, the lack of yaw control might point to a problem in the tail rotor servo. Give that a look over as well.

I can imagine it's difficult to fly with random throttles and cyclic and no yaw control.
Jonman
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 1 2004, 07:53 PM)
Dear Jonman, continuing from my last question, once you have determined that the guy you like does in fact have a girlfriend, and you still *like* him, what should you do? Would developing an obsession with Johnny Depp be of any help, do you think? Or should one hover like a vulture just in case him and his girlfriend will break up?

Now, I feel the last one is in rather bad taste, but I'm not sure how I could continue to develop my obsession with Johnny Depp, as it's fairly entrenched already.

Well, what you do about it is down to your own personal code of morality. From the way you talk, it sounds like your moral code wouldn't allow you to swoop in and steal this chap out from under his chick's nose. Which basically means you're buggered. Developing an obsession with Johnny Depp might help, but might also be counterproductive. You're better off finding some other chap with a nice smile and buns of steel, and indulging yourself with him.

Were you to lower your moral standards, there'd be all sorts of underhand cheap tricks you could use to sway your paramour from his current squeeze, but we wouldn't want that, now, would we?

As for meeting his girlfriend, the easist and lowerest stress option would indeed be to keep schtum. Remember, if you go into one while he's there, it'll probably reflect badly on you. And ettiquette? Two options: either stay aloof from her, or totally attach yourself to her, stalk her, dress like her, and steal her parents.
kisah
Dear Jonman,

Where can I find snuggle bum's live journal?

Thanks,
Mrs. Jonman
the lil' pie fairy
Dear Mrs Jonman,

Where can I find the picture in your av? It's so cute!

Pie x
Snugglebum the Destroyer

I dunno - but when you find it, let me know. biggrin.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (kisah @ Dec 2 2004, 01:43 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Thanks,
Mrs. Jonman

Have a look down the back of the sofa. And in the cupboard where we put all the random stuff that doesn't have a home anywhere else.
Jonman
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 2 2004, 01:57 PM)
Dear Mrs Jonman,

Where can I find the picture in your av? It's so cute!

Pie x

*puts on high voice with bizarre americanese accent*

You can't - it's a picture of my foot.

*removes fake boobs.*
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Dear Jonman,

*removes fake boobs.*

*gasp*

You told us it was all natural.

You're a liar, aren't you? tongue.gif

Love

Me
Feyliya
Dear Jonman and Mrs. Jonman,

When did you meet and where was your first date? And how did it go? Any funny first-date stories to tell?

Just curious,
Feyliya and Laramon
Jonman
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Dec 2 2004, 10:51 PM)
Dear Jonman,

*removes fake boobs.*

*gasp*

You told us it was all natural.

You're a liar, aren't you? tongue.gif

Love

Me

Look, mine are real. But the wife's much better endowed than me in the jiggly fun chest puppy department, so if I'm pretending to be her, I need to augment my bust.

Liar indeed.
Jonman
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Dec 3 2004, 03:19 AM)

When did you meet and where was your first date?  And how did it go?  Any funny first-date stories to tell?

Just curious,
Feyliya and Laramon

Apologies if any of you have heard this before:

We met thanks to an online personals advert, believe it or not. I had just arrived in Seattle, didn't know anyone, and had been single for the previous 18 months after a messy break-up. I was ready to get back in the saddle, and meet some cool people, so I stuck an ad online with a personals and dating service. It was a few weeks before we actually met as I was away on business for a while.

Interestingly enough, in between me first looking at the wife's ad, and us actually meeting, she'd decided that she fancied dating a British guy, seeing as she'd never done it before, so she'd changed her tagline to 'Brit boys get a free visit to the Bristol Cities', which was clever, as yank blokes wouldn't have realised that she was offerring her lovely lovely boobs to any anglo-saxon chap. I didn't actually see this at the time, but, as it turned out, it wouldn't have made any difference.

We eventually met up for dinner in a funky little restaurant. Had a slightly bizarre and awkward night, and ended up in a pool hall a couple of blocks away. Neither of us was that sure about the other one, there wasn't an instant buzz of physical attraction, and I was utterly oblivious to Kat's blatent flirting.

However, we managed to overcome that. Next time we met, I had 5 buddies from England visiting me in Seattle for a snowboarding holiday. I invited Kat to come out to the pub with us. This was a smart move on my part. If she could keep up (mentally rather than alcoholically) with the pub banter, then she'd be OK, plus it gave me the chance to get feedback from my buddies. She was somewhat nonplussed, as we'd only had the one date, and it seemed like a big step to bring some chick you'd just met out with 5 of your oldest friends. Still, it went well. Us lads were all absolutely trolleyed by the end of the night, and Kat had wisely stayed sober as she was driving home. She dealt admirably with my drunk idiotic mate The Wretch, who asked her several hundred times (no exaggeration) "Fancy a shag?"

So that went well. A few dates later, we met for brunch on a Saturday, and ended up spending the entire day together, monkeying around in Seattle. Had a mock argument on the top of a hill while trying to fly Kat's kite - her blaming me for the wind, and me blaming her for being crap at flying kites. At the top of our voices. People were stopping and staring. I think this was the definitive point that we both knew that we were onto something. Went to a funky little bar for some dinner, and the rest is history. Having spent the whole day together, neither of us had been bored or wanted to be somewhere else at any point.

Within a month, she'd moved in - I bought her her own chest of drawers, half as a romantic gesture to demonstrate that she belonged in my apartment, and half becuase I was pissed off with the piles of her clothes on the floor. 8 months later, I proposed, and a month after that, we were man and wife.
Usurper MrTeapot
*sniff*

Dear Mr Jonman

To keep up the theme, I am interested in what happens at an almost demigod's, such as yourself, Wedding. We're there any interesting stories of interest you could tell us. Perhaps at a stag night if you had one?

~ Mr Possibility.
Pixelgoth
Mr J,

When is it acceptable to start putting up Xmas/Yule decorations (not counting department stores, shops, etc.)?

When should we start sending our Xmas/Yule cards to people?

As with showing up at a party, I don't want to be the first one! biggrin.gif

Yours

Pixie
x
Jonman
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Dec 3 2004, 01:22 PM)
*sniff*

Dear Mr Jonman

To keep up the theme, I am interested in what happens at an almost demigod's, such as yourself, Wedding. We're there any interesting stories of interest you could tell us. Perhaps at a stag night if you had one?

~ Mr Possibility.

Gee, here we go.

It took 6 days from us setting a wedding date to actually getting married. We sent the invites by email. I wore trainers. The bridesmaid was called Rod, and wore a bondage harness. The priestess was a friend of ours. We wrote our vows ourselves, and the first time we heard the other one's vows was when we were making them. I cried like a girl. There were naked women trying to catch the bouquet. One of them did. She then got striped with one of the flowers by her boyfriend/dominant (and now fiancee). That's what happens when you hold your wedding at the same venue on the same day as a monthly naked pool party for kinky people (most of whom were friends of aquaintances).

All of this is verifiable by photographs, which I'm not going to share with you lot.

Short of getting married in freefall, we couldn't have done it much better.
Jonman
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Dec 3 2004, 02:07 PM)
Mr J,

When is it acceptable to start putting up Xmas/Yule decorations (not counting department stores, shops, etc.)?

When should we start sending our Xmas/Yule cards to people?

As with showing up at a party, I don't want to be the first one! biggrin.gif

Yours

Pixie
x

Acceptable? 1st December, and they come down on 5th Jan.

Chrismas cards should be sent on the 9th Dec.

It's simple - just arrive late then....nothing fun ever happens at the start of a party anyway.
Feyliya
::sniffles:: Such a beautiful story! ::bawls::

QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 3 2004, 06:29 AM)
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Dec 3 2004, 01:22 PM)
*sniff*

Dear Mr Jonman

~ Mr Possibility.

Gee, here we go.

It took 6 days from us setting a wedding date to actually getting married. We sent the invites by email. I wore trainers. The bridesmaid was called Rod, and wore a bondage harness. The priestess was a friend of ours. We wrote our vows ourselves, and the first time we heard the other one's vows was when we were making them. I cried like a girl. There were naked women trying to catch the bouquet. One of them did. She then got striped with one of the flowers by her boyfriend/dominant (and now fiancee). That's what happens when you hold your wedding at the same venue on the same day as a monthly naked pool party for kinky people (most of whom were friends of aquaintances).

All of this is verifiable by photographs, which I'm not going to share with you lot.

Short of getting married in freefall, we couldn't have done it much better.

Wow.... blink.gif Now THAT'S a wedding! tongue.gif Were there any family members in attendence? And how do your more straight-laced relatives feel about the wedding photos?

Stuck With Catholic Relatives,
Feyliya
Artemisia
I need help. Despite having seen very little anime in my life, I have found myself suddenly addicted to fanfic of 2 particular animes, which shall remain nameless. Specifically, the yaoi is keeping me up at night and preventing me writing the papers that are due next week. But even worse is that now I want to write some myself. And worse than that, I don't think Tigersong would approve of me using certain..RL incidents..as subjects of yaoi fic. ph34r.gif But the urge to do it is overwhelming! Please, I need some advice! Help me say no!
(btw I have been told I'm not a bad writer....)

Yours in tru boi luv-ness,

Rabid Fangirl
Oni Usagi
QUOTE (Artemisia @ Dec 4 2004, 09:29 PM)
I need help.  Despite having seen very little anime in my life, I have found myself suddenly addicted to fanfic of 2 particular animes, which shall remain nameless. Specifically, the yaoi is keeping me up at night and preventing me writing the papers that are due next week. But even worse is that now I want to write some myself. And worse than that, I don't think Tigersong would approve of me using certain..RL incidents..as subjects of yaoi fic.    ph34r.gif  But the urge to do it is overwhelming! Please, I need some advice! Help me say no!

Rabid Fangirl

Too bad November is over. You could have used that as an excuse to write a whole novel of it. biggrin.gif
Artemisia
I know, I have thought of that too. November is such a bad month for me, but I promised myself I would do something like Nanowrimo some other month, and am considering this as an over-the-holidays-project...hey, don't encourage me!!!
Ashbless
Dear Jonman,

Why are the opening moves in a possible relationship so difficult and filled with uncertainty? Why can't some clever soul come up with a 'match the chemical coated stick' and you're good to go?

Sincerely,
Me with possible luck.
Jonman
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Dec 4 2004, 12:44 AM)
::sniffles::  Such a beautiful story!  ::bawls::

Wow.... blink.gif Now THAT'S a wedding! tongue.gif Were there any family members in attendence?  And how do your more straight-laced relatives feel about the wedding photos?

Feyliya

There was no family at the wedding - just friends. Which obviously made that part of it easier.

There are two sets of wedding photos, one of which is edited for content. Needless to say.
Jonman
QUOTE (Artemisia @ Dec 5 2004, 01:29 AM)
I need help.  Despite having seen very little anime in my life, I have found myself suddenly addicted to fanfic of 2 particular animes, which shall remain nameless. Specifically, the yaoi is keeping me up at night and preventing me writing the papers that are due next week. But even worse is that now I want to write some myself. And worse than that, I don't think Tigersong would approve of me using certain..RL incidents..as subjects of yaoi fic.    ph34r.gif  But the urge to do it is overwhelming! Please, I need some advice! Help me say no!

Rabid Fangirl

*shouts through megaphone*

PUT THE PEN DOWN, AND STEP AWAY FROM THE PAPER...

*ahem*

Hmm, let's see - write trashy fan fiction (no offense), or get your papers done? I can see an obvious solution to this one. Can you? No, no, I didn't mean flying round the world backwards to stop time like in Superman 2 (or was it 1?). How about actually doing the stuff you've got to get done before doing the stuff that doesn't have to get done?
Jonman
QUOTE (Ashbless @ Dec 6 2004, 05:05 AM)
Dear Jonman,

Why are the opening moves in a possible relationship so difficult and filled with uncertainty?  Why can't some clever soul come up with a 'match the chemical coated stick' and you're good to go?

Sincerely,
Me with possible luck.

Call me bonkers, but it's that uncertainty that makes it fun.

How boring would it be if you bumbled through life and on your 18th birthday, you're married off to some dude (or dudette) that's been genetically matched to be your perfect spouse. BORRR-RRING!

Personal interactions, both good and bad provide some of the most introspective and therefore, 'character-building' moments of our lives, where we learn the most about ourselves and other people too. It's all good, really.
Feyliya
QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 6 2004, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Dec 4 2004, 12:44 AM)
::sniffles::  Such a beautiful story!  ::bawls::

Wow.... blink.gif Now THAT'S a wedding! tongue.gif Were there any family members in attendence?  And how do your more straight-laced relatives feel about the wedding photos?

Feyliya

There was no family at the wedding - just friends. Which obviously made that part of it easier.

There are two sets of wedding photos, one of which is edited for content. Needless to say.

I thought as much. There's always the few relatives that feel no remorse in ruining a beautiful experience for everyone else, just because it doesn't quite fit to their standards.

And now for something completely different!

Yankees, Mets, or Giants?

Hopes she hasn't pried too much,
Feyliya the Cubs fan
Jonman
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Dec 6 2004, 09:44 AM)

Feyliya the Cubs fan[/color]

Yankees, Mets or Giants?

Let me turn this around. Which is your favourite Beligian badminton team? SchwatzFellun, Buss, or Spangelfitzen? Why, you may ask, am I asking you about foreign teams that play a game the you care not a whit for? How could you possibly make an informed decision, and more to the point, why would you want to?

Precisely.

Although I'm quite impressed with the moving roof on the Mariners stadium. Good bit of engineering that.
Aria
QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 6 2004, 09:34 AM)

How boring would it be if you bumbled through life and on your 18th birthday, you're married off to some dude (or dudette) that's been genetically matched to be your perfect spouse. BORRR-RRING!

Personal interactions, both good and bad provide some of the most introspective and therefore, 'character-building' moments of our lives, where we learn the most about ourselves and other people too. It's all good, really.

Speaking of relationships, how does one go about getting them started? Is going up to a person and saying "You're hot, lets shag" an acceptable way? tongue.gif

I'm confused on ettiquette. I think Jonman should be the next Miss Manners. biggrin.gif
Feyliya
QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 6 2004, 04:19 AM)
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Dec 6 2004, 09:44 AM)

Feyliya the Cubs fan[/color]

Yankees, Mets or Giants?

Let me turn this around. Which is your favourite Beligian badminton team? SchwatzFellun, Buss, or Spangelfitzen? Why, you may ask, am I asking you about foreign teams that play a game the you care not a whit for? How could you possibly make an informed decision, and more to the point, why would you want to?

Precisely.

Although I'm quite impressed with the moving roof on the Mariners stadium. Good bit of engineering that.

Okay then, what do you think the chances of the US making it to the World Cup again are? And who do you favor for the cup this year? I favor Brazil. People who invented a full-body wax HAVE to be d@mned tough. Besides, they're currently ranked first.

And for Belgian badminton, I favor Spanglfitzen. Just because the name is awesome. cool.gif I mean, do you really need a better reason to like a sports team?
Jonman
QUOTE (Aria @ Dec 6 2004, 08:51 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 6 2004, 09:34 AM)

Speaking of relationships, how does one go about getting them started? Is going up to a person and saying "You're hot, lets shag" an acceptable way? tongue.gif

I'm confused on ettiquette. I think Jonman should be the next Miss Manners. biggrin.gif

I did spend an appreciable part of my childhood walking up and down with a book on my head. Wasn't in a finishing school or anything - it was just cheaper to get big books out of the library than to buy an umbrella.

As for starting relationships, your method is one of the more direct, but they're all equally acceptable in a broad way. Obviously, certain people will probably only respond to some of them - a prudish type probably wouldn't respond well to your method, for instance.

At it's most elementary, the process is as follows:

1: find someone you're attracted to
2: establish whether they're attracted to you, and if so....
3: make out

It's pretty simple really. It the specifics of each one that get complicated - how do I meet people? How do I know if they like me? How do I make the move?

I recommend jumping the bones of anyone you're attracted to. Sure, you'll get a reputation as a bit of a slut, but no-one's perfect, right?
Jonman
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Dec 6 2004, 11:48 PM)
Okay then, what do you think the chances of the US making it to the World Cup again are?  And who do you favor for the cup this year?  I favor Brazil.  People who invented a full-body wax HAVE to be d@mned tough.  Besides, they're currently ranked first.

And for Belgian badminton, I favor Spanglfitzen.  Just because the name is awesome. cool.gif I mean, do you really need a better reason to like a sports team?

Chances of the US getting to the world cup? I dunno. Most of Britain is still reeling from being knocked out of the qualifiers in 94 by some dude on the US team who looked like the lead singer from the Spin Doctors scoring a goal despite looking like he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Realisitically, though, it's not looking promising for them. With football (proper football, not that nonsense with the pads and teams of about a billion players) in the US predominantly played by pre-pubescent girls, and with virtually no professional game, you've got to wonder whether there's enough public interest to generate decent proffessional-level players. Let's draw a parallel - what's the chances of Britain making it into the World Series? Pretty much nil, right?

So my guess is that the chances aren't looking too good.
the lil' pie fairy
Dear Jonman,

Which religion/ideology would your fictional country - if you were trying to conquer the world with it - have?
I'm verging between Communism and Paganism. If you could choose any system/religion, this is.

Yours, future world leader sixth form congregation x
Feyliya
Chances of the US getting to the world cup? I dunno. Most of Britain is still reeling from being knocked out of the qualifiers in 94 by some dude on the US team who looked like the lead singer from the Spin Doctors scoring a goal despite looking like he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

Realisitically, though, it's not looking promising for them. With football (proper football, not that nonsense with the pads and teams of about a billion players) in the US predominantly played by pre-pubescent girls, and with virtually no professional game, you've got to wonder whether there's enough public interest to generate decent proffessional-level players. Let's draw a parallel - what's the chances of Britain making it into the World Series? Pretty much nil, right?

So my guess is that the chances aren't looking too good.

You know, there's so little interest in baseball in America these days that if the folkes on your side of the pond were to form a team and train up a little, you probably could get into the World Series. Good for you guys, sad for the overall state of my favorite game. sad.gif

On a completely different note, what do you think of telemarketing? Is it as rampant over there as it is over here? (It's REALLY bad over here if your number gets out and you're not on a no-call list.) Do you think there's a lesser degree of evil between business to business calling, telephone polling, and the regular kind of cold calling?
Jonman
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 8 2004, 12:52 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Which religion/ideology would your fictional country - if you were trying to conquer the world with it - have?
I'm verging between Communism and Paganism. If you could choose any system/religion, this is.

Yours, future world leader sixth form congregation x

Religion? None. Complete freedom of religion among the populace. However, complete (and I mean complete) seperation of church and state. Religion has led morality around by the nose for too long for my liking, especially in a latter-day, 'reality-based' society. Whether someone else believes that we divinely popped into existance, morphed from monkeys or were placed on this planet by a race of super intelligent space lizards has no bearing whatsoever on government and regulation of a country.

State run schools would have no acts of organised religion. No more prayers in assembly. It's tantamount to state-sponsorship of a specific religion. The private sector would be more than welcome to set up denomination-specific schools to cater for parents that prefer them. That said, the teaching of Religious Studies would continue. Learning and worship are vastly different.

That's my main beef.

Ideologically, it would be a left-of-centre semi-socialist fully democratic republic with a proportional-representative government. Simple, really.

That's my ideal utopian society, of course. If I was wanting to conquer the world, I'd be a mad dictator who invents his own religion (it worked for Henry VIII), criminalises all others, and rules with an iron fist.
Twitching
QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 8 2004, 08:23 AM)
Religion? None. Complete freedom of religion among the populace. However, complete (and I mean complete) seperation of church and state. Religion has led morality around by the nose for too long for my liking, especially in a latter-day, 'reality-based' society. Whether someone else believes that we divinely popped into existance, morphed from monkeys or were placed on this planet by a race of super intelligent space lizards has no bearing whatsoever on government and regulation of a country.

I actually did a paper on Why Government Policies Should be Based on Rights, Not Morals. It was lovely. (If anyone feels like reading the entire two pages of it, PM me or summat.) Haven't gotten it back yet, so I don't know what the teacher thinks of it yet, but we'll see.
Jonman
QUOTE (Twitching @ Dec 9 2004, 12:36 PM)
I actually did a paper on Why Government Policies Should be Based on Rights, Not Morals.  It was lovely.  (If anyone feels like reading the entire two pages of it, PM me or summat.)  Haven't gotten it back yet, so I don't know what the teacher thinks of it yet, but we'll see.

Link please....
Twitching
Linkity Link Link

(Why Government Should Base Its Policies on Rights, Not Morals)

This was a bit difficult, as I don't have my own webpage type thing, but I've got a friend who has, so I suckered him into it, cause he's cool like that.

My essay I say! You borrow it and don't give me credit and I hunt you down and fill your nasal cavities with concrete. laugh.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (Twitching @ Dec 9 2004, 09:57 PM)
Linkity Link Link

(Why Government Should Base Its Policies on Rights, Not Morals)

This was a bit difficult, as I don't have my own webpage type thing, but I've got a friend who has, so I suckered him into it, cause he's cool like that.

My essay I say!  You borrow it and don't give me credit and I hunt you down and fill your nasal cavities with concrete.  laugh.gif

'Moral crusaders need not turn in their swords of righteousness...'

I want a sword of righteousness. That shoots flames of retribution and bolts of truth out of the end. And gives me a +4 modifier to attack, as well.

</geek>
the lil' pie fairy
Dear Jonman,

I have no life currently, which is why I keep asking you things. All the time. Anyway, for today: do you play on Kings of Chaos?

Yours in lack of turns left, Pie x
Feyliya
Dear Jonman,

Is it normal for me to be feeling warm and fuzzy feelings of love for a game? It's not even out yet. Should I seek therapy, go on Oprah, or something else as drastic as that? In case you need a point of refrence, Guild Wars is the game I'm obsessing about.

Seeking affirmation of the last shreds of her sanity,
Feyliya
Jonman
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 10 2004, 01:40 PM)
Dear Jonman,

I have no life currently, which is why I keep asking you things. All the time. Anyway, for today: do you play on Kings of Chaos?

Yours in lack of turns left, Pie x

No life eh? Not often I get messages from the undead, but it happens from time to time. A zombie with a thorn in it's paw, a wraith with an insatiable hankering for peanut butter, a lich who can't stop licking, or a haemophobic vampire. Even evil incarnate can have personal issues.

And now that I'm done waffling, no, I don't play Kings of Chaos. Should I?
Jonman
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Dec 11 2004, 09:20 AM)
Dear Jonman,

Is it normal for me to be feeling warm and fuzzy feelings of love for a game?  It's not even out yet.  Should I seek therapy, go on Oprah, or something else as drastic as that?  In case you need a point of refrence, Guild Wars is the game I'm obsessing about.

Seeking affirmation of the last shreds of her sanity,
Feyliya

It's not only normal, it's actually a gamer's desired state of mind. A gaming nirvana if you will, achievable only when the twin moons of design and execution come into a rare conjunction.

See, in an ideal world, every game would make you feel like this. Mario's every jump should make your calves twitch, the Covenant Elite that just jumped out at you should make your blood curdle and you should be walking into an optician's, pointing at the worn Half Life box in your hand and saying "I want ones like that please".

The tragedy is that not every game makes you feel this way. It's quite a regular occurrance for me to have dreams based around the game that I'm playing. For the last few months, I've had Disgaea dreams, which have been odd to say the least (whizzing around 3D isometric blocky landscapes looking for that elusive combo), and I've had Tetris dreams almost as long as I can remember.

So, in answer, it's not normal enough for you to feel this way. Carry on.
Feyliya
QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 13 2004, 01:30 AM)
It's not only normal, it's actually a gamer's desired state of mind. A gaming nirvana if you will, achievable only when the twin moons of design and execution come into a rare conjunction.

See, in an ideal world, every game would make you feel like this. Mario's every jump should make your calves twitch, the Covenant Elite that just jumped out at you should make your blood curdle and you should be walking into an optician's, pointing at the worn Half Life box in your hand and saying "I want ones like that please".

The tragedy is that not every game makes you feel this way. It's quite a regular occurrance for me to have dreams based around the game that I'm playing. For the last few months, I've had Disgaea dreams, which have been odd to say the least (whizzing around 3D isometric blocky landscapes looking for that elusive combo), and I've had Tetris dreams almost as long as I can remember.

So, in answer, it's not normal enough for you to feel this way. Carry on.

Good! I've been really worried that it's unrealistic of me to pin such high hopes on an MMO by a previously unknown company. I mean, there's so many sucky MMORPGs out there...

Gaming dreams I know are okay. I get them all the time when I fall in wub.gif with a new game. For example, both Larry and I are having Eve Online dreams right now. But what do you think about having dreams about books? I'll go out, fall in love with a new series, devour as many consecutive installments as I can, then anxiously await the release/delivery of the next to the point of restless dreams at night and near-hallucinations during the day. I've even been known to write...FANFICTION!!! Dun dun DUN!!!! ::is deeply ashamed:: So....fairly normal? Or do I need to do the ultimate sacrafice and get a life?

(And by the way, Mario's every jump DOES make my calves twitch. My muscles get every bit as into the game I'm playing as my mind does!)

Waiting anxiously to the point of dreaming of your reply,
Feyliya, one of your most frequent undead annoyances
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Dear Jonman,

Due to timetable alterations I either have to take a different route to Doncaster or get a train half an hour earlier.

So, should I go via Derby or should I stick with the route I have come to love as my Tuesday morning routine and get the 6:08 to Skegness and change at Grantham?

I really am torn and it hurts... which is sad because I hate the fact that I have to take a 2 hour train/bus ride starting so early in the morning.

My return route has not changed, thankfully, so no dilemma there.

Directionally challenged.
Jonman
QUOTE (snoo @ Dec 13 2004, 10:12 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Due to timetable alterations I either have to take a different route to Doncaster or get a train half an hour earlier.

So, should I go via Derby or should I stick with the route I have come to love as my Tuesday morning routine and get the 6:08 to Skegness and change at Grantham?

I really am torn and it hurts... which is sad because I hate the fact that I have to take a 2 hour train/bus ride starting so early in the morning.

My return route has not changed, thankfully, so no dilemma there.

Directionally challenged.

Trains are like, soooo 2003.

Forget the train, buy yourself a Moller skycar, and fly to work!

Mmm, skycar....
Usurper MrTeapot
Dear Jonman,

Today I am in the mood for a pizza, my college is on two sites and the quality and cost of pizza varies at each site. The lower site, situated almost a mile away, has the best pizza known to man whereas the one less than 100 metres from where I siteth right now is greasy and unhealthy. Do I walk to the Pizza o' Goodness or get my Greasey Monkey?

Yours Mr aTeapotta.
Jonman
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Dec 14 2004, 10:43 AM)
Dear Jonman,

Today I am in the mood for a pizza, my college is on two sites and the quality and cost of pizza varies at each site. The lower site, situated almost a mile away, has the best pizza known to man whereas the one less than 100 metres from where I siteth right now is greasy and unhealthy. Do I walk to the Pizza o' Goodness or get my Greasey Monkey?

Yours Mr aTeapotta.

Pizza's like sex, innit. Great pizza can be mindblowing, but when you really want pizza, getting it for a fiver from any greasy, dodgy place starts to seem like a really good idea.

Remember though, you'll regret it in the morning.
the lil' pie fairy
Dear Jon,

Yes, you should. Then I'd have someone to ask about it, as you'd obviously be better than me.
While I'm at it, which game is better to buy as a present for my dad. A Rogue Spear game or a Medal of Honour game?

In dilemma of gaming, Pie
Jonman
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 14 2004, 03:49 PM)
Dear Jon,

Yes, you should. Then I'd have someone to ask about it, as you'd obviously be better than me.

Right then. I will. You just see if I don't.

QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 14 2004, 03:49 PM)
While I'm at it, which game is better to buy as a present for my dad. A Rogue Spear game or a Medal of Honour game?

I guess it rather depends. I've not played either, but I'll tell you what I know. I think it depends on what kind of gamer your dad is. If he's a faily mainstream blow-stuff-up type of gamer, probably the Medal Of Honour game. If he's a bit more of a cerebral nerdy thinking gamer (into PC real-time-strategy?), then probably Rogue Spear.
kisah
Dear Jonman,

I have been requested to make mince pies for Christmas at my in-laws. Despite my sister-in-law's suggestion to purchase mincemeat in a jar, I (as a pastry chef) have scoured the internet for any slight variation from the plain traditional pies. The one I have settled on has a citrusy refreshing undertone and orange shortcrust pastry. It sounds good to me but then I've never had a mince pie before. What if they don't like it? What if I ruin Christmas? What if my in-laws disown us? It doesn't help matters that I make a shoddy cup of tea as well.

Yours Truly,
Mrs America
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.