Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ask Jonman Again
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 4 2004, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE (Alanity @ Jan 1 2004, 02:30 PM)
I was sent in your direction by commie because I was silly and didn't ask you first.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/01/01...d.ap/index.html
I just want to try and understand something, how can "the tides, weather and changes in the Earth's core" cause the earths speed to stay the same? I'd assume it would be to do with the sun, other planets, or something else from out therr.

*dons boffin head*

It's all crazy physics beans I'm sure. I couldn't explain it even if I knew what the answer was, so instead, I'll just make up some mildly amusing claptrap like usual.

Did I just say that out loud? Ooops.

Aaaaaaanyway, haven't you seen the superman film where he flies around the world really fast and turns back time? It's kind of like that, except with tides, the spinningicity of the earth's core (which affects it's electromagnetic field, which in turn will affect (in an iddy-biddy way), it's motion through space, as space has a charge), but the major factor is whether it rained in Belgium. If it did, it meant that a butterfly in China flapped it's wings a short while ago, which is pretty much a sure sign that there's going to be all sorts of crazy stuff happening. They used to have a specially trained butterfly in China that wouldn't flap it's wings, ever, but it must've escaped.

Incidentally, a butterfuly landed on me over the New Year. What was suprising was that I was in Canada and it was bloody freezing. What was less suprising was that I was in a butterfly conservatory. None of them were flying with a Chinese accent though. I checked.

/me gets Newtonian on your arses...

Actually, that works on much the same principle as a gyroscope. As you tilt the base the gyroscope tries to remain as it is. The sheer amount of force in the weather, and movement of the core is trying to continue as it was before, (give or take entropy) and the interfaces with the planet as a whole drag the rest along.

[/INDECIPHERABLY_EXPLAINED_PHYSICS]
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 4 2004, 09:11 PM)
*opens meerkat cage*

No! Not my face!

Actually... Probably wouldn't make much difference.

Not my nads!
Tarantio
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jan 4 2004, 09:11 PM)

Actually, that works on much the same principle as a gyroscope. As you tilt the base the gyroscope tries to remain as it is. The sheer amount of force in the weather, and movement of the core is trying to continue as it was before, (give or take entropy) and the interfaces with the planet as a whole drag the rest along.

wouldnt it just be easier to say that the earth has a heck of a lot of momentum, being a heavy-assed planet and all, making it kinda difficult for a group of things that make up a tiny proportion of its mass to change its movements in any significant way.

[DECIPHERABLY_EXPLAINED_PHYSICS]

tongue.gif boo. yah.
Jonman
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jan 4 2004, 02:33 PM)
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jan 4 2004, 09:11 PM)

wouldnt it just be easier to say that the earth has a heck of a lot of momentum, being a heavy-assed planet and all, making it kinda difficult for a group of things that make up a tiny proportion of its mass to change its movements in any significant way.

[DECIPHERABLY_EXPLAINED_PHYSICS]

tongue.gif boo. yah.

Maybe I've thoroughly missed the point, but I was under the impression that the core of the planet made up a considerable portion of it's mass.

Anyway, like I said, it's all to do with butterflies.
Mr Fuzzy
Ah, but that considerable portion is fluid, and once in a particular motion wishes to remain that way.
Tarantio
yars... and i was meaning the sea and continental plates and such trying to alter the motion of the core. Which aparrently was not what u guys were on about. My valid point falls flat on its arse thanks once more to that insidious villain, false context.

ya.
Mr Fuzzy
Oh, I see where you are going alright. I was going along the same lines as you, but from a different angle.
leopold
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jan 4 2004, 10:09 PM)
yars... and i was meaning the sea and continental plates and such trying to alter the motion of the core. Which aparrently was not what u guys were on about. My valid point falls flat on its arse thanks once more to that insidious villain, false context.

ya.

Damn false context... got me into many a scrape in the past, has that. I reckon people should be more clear about what they're sayin. Like perhaps write it in words of one or fewer syllables, in big red letters. With pictures.
Tarantio
Was that the sarcastic angle perchance? I get that mixed up with a lot of others quite often. That and 342 degrees. its a weird angle.

This is, of course, spam, so I may as well put a point to it.

Dear Jonman,

What should one do when one's own flesh and blood mother becomes so revolting to one that one considers disengaging himself from her family just to get some bloody peace in one's life. And who the hell calls their child one?
leopold
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jan 4 2004, 10:20 PM)
Dear Jonman,

What should one do when one's own flesh and blood mother becomes so revolting to one that one considers disengaging himself from her family just to get some bloody peace in one's life. And who the hell calls their child one?

Speakin as one who knows... jus walk away. Saves a lot of hassle. I did that an got me weekends back. YAY! biggrin.gif

They never called me "one", though, so I can't answer that 'un.
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (leopold @ Jan 4 2004, 10:21 PM)
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jan 4 2004, 10:20 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Speakin as one who knows... jus walk away. Saves a lot of hassle. I did that an got me weekends back. YAY! biggrin.gif

They never called me "one", though, so I can't answer that 'un.

Try sitting in front of the TV with her for an hour or two with a couple of drinks. It's only recently that I discovered that, outside a parent/child relationship, parents can on rare occasions be normal people.

Since I tried that my mother swaps books with me, and my father finally believes that I know what to do with electrics/electronics.

Edit: I weren't meaning you Leo. You've had time to see what's what with your family and to have seen what can or can't be done.
leopold
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jan 4 2004, 10:27 PM)
Edit: I weren't meaning you Leo. You've had time to see what's what with your family and to have seen what can or can't be done.

*phew*

Thank crap fer that! I did wonder if I'd missed summat in the parent/child relationship thingummy. Mind, that said I have made contact with them recently due to changes in me personal circumstances...
Mr Fuzzy
Meh, (this'll make you fear the world), the worst thing is somebody with a very similar personality, but warped to a completely different style. My mother had it with her (disowned - we don't even know where she lives these days) sister, and I have it with the youngest of my sisters. It seems to be a warped reflection which shows up everything that is wrong with you in a different context.

Nasty.
Pab
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 4 2004, 10:11 PM)
... No, it just causes me to dispatch the international invisible ninja meerkats on a death-dealing mission of doom against the evil perpetrators of such an act.

*opens meerkat cage*

Dear Jonman,

You must have seen that documentary on meerkats that everybody else has seen, that involves them letting the camera-man take care of the young'uns whilst the adults forray and such, and more particularly involves the slow but sure demise of the whole bunch of'em, just as we were all getting really emotionally attached to them, as well ....

If a documentary is THE TRUTH, and David Attenborough is THE DUDE, or one of them, then surely the meerkat population must by now have died down to a risibly pathetic amount of poor, retched, starving dying-to-meet-a-cameraman meerkats ...

Question is: Where do you get yours from? Were they raised by camera-men, and is that them scratching at my door right now?

yours,

Can't-get-over-those-poor-dead-meerkats
Mr Fuzzy
See? He's evil. He trains meerkat suicide infiltration squads. Then, once they finish the mission he waits for nothing other than news of their deaths. Eeeeeeeevil I tells ya!
MistressAlti
Dear Jonman, Tara, Fuzzy and Pab:

You people crack me up.

Sincerely,

Missy
Mata
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jan 4 2004, 09:56 PM)
Ah, but that considerable portion is fluid, and once in a particular motion wishes to remain that way.

Ah, but if you had a _really big_ whisk, then you could hold the world to ransom... *dreams*
Mr Fuzzy
Have you been looking at my secret blueprints again?
the lil' pie fairy
dear jonman,

why are they called blueprints? i mean, yeah, they're bluey, but why didn't they make them green, or pink? blink.gif

and because you missed it, can i send pie to america from england??

oh, and do they have dooley's where you are?

yours, a pie xx
Jonman
QUOTE (Pab @ Jan 4 2004, 04:09 PM)

If a documentary is THE TRUTH, and David Attenborough is THE DUDE, or one of them, then surely the meerkat population must by now have died down to a risibly pathetic amount of poor, retched, starving dying-to-meet-a-cameraman meerkats ...

Question is: Where do you get yours from? Were they raised by camera-men, and is that them scratching at my door right now?

yours,

Can't-get-over-those-poor-dead-meerkats

I nicked me meerkats out of the zoo when I was in Perth a couple of months ago. I was tempted to steal the mating turtles too, but I didn't want to ruin the mood. I'll tell you something, it's amazing how quickly pedestrians get out of your way when you've got 15 meerkats fighting in your hip pocket.

I trained them meself, using a combination of hypnosis, mediatation and acupunture (the brand of trainers, not the needle-stuff).
Sir Psycho Sexy
Dear Jonman, what is the best colour light sabre? is there a good combination that looks super badass (the colour opptions are blue, green, purple, orange, yellow and red)

SPS

psst, happy birthday
Jonman
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Jan 4 2004, 03:20 PM)

One should most definitely build a spaceship from tin foil and old cereal boxes, invented hypermagic diamond engines, and fly to the planet Zog where sweets grow on trees and the rivers run brown with chocolate milk.

I tried it once when I was 6, admittedly without much success. My spaceship didn't half look ninja, but I must've screwed up the design of the engines.
Pab
Dear Jon, man ...

It has just occured to me that you may be the person able to blag your way through the answer to this question that has been bugging me increasingly for years .....

The word 'awry': how is it to be pronounced? ... i've read it a million times, but I son't think I've ever actually heard it.

So what? .... ore--ree? .... a-rhye? spit it out, man, jon ...
leopold
QUOTE (Pab @ Jan 5 2004, 02:56 PM)
The word 'awry': how is it to be pronounced? ... i've read it a million times, but I son't think I've ever actually heard it.

Now, I had thought about bein a complete git an tellin ya the wrong way to pronounce this word. But after all that Flash stuff ya did for me, I think that'd be dead mean of me.

It's pronounced "a-rye", with a short "a" (like in "apple")

Meself, I prefer to pronounce it "buggered up". It's essentially the same thing, but people are more likely to understand it.
Jonman
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Jan 5 2004, 02:40 AM)
dear jonman,

why are they called blueprints? i mean, yeah, they're bluey, but why didn't they make them green, or pink? blink.gif

and because you missed it, can i send pie to america from england??

oh, and do they have dooley's where you are?

yours, a pie xx

Oddly enough, they're called blueprints because the photographic method used to produce them back in the olden days used a cyanide dye that resulted in the prints coming out as white lines on a blue background. This technique was known as cyanotype. Had the technique used neon in some fashion, instead of cyanide, I dare say that we'd have pinkprints instead. How marvellously camp that would be, hm?

Of course, it's all just legacy naming these days, as with CAD/CAM processes, half the time, blueprints never even make it onto paper in the first place.

Thought I'd answered the pie issue, but there you go. Here goes again - you probably _could_ send pie to americaland, but the US Department of Agriculture probably wouldn't allow it (if they found out...) - they're notoriously paranoid. The best bet would be to find a pie supplier local to the desitnation in the states, and order one that way. Probably a damn site easier too.

here's some tips for intercontinental pie dispatch:

: wrap extremely well, not only to protect leakage (i.e. in a Ziploc bag), but also to minimise squashage (i.e. in firm cardboard with those cool polystyrene ball thingies).
: ensure airtight packaging, to preserve freshness, and prevent customs doggies from sniffing your piey goodness.
: send via as fast a method as possible - Fedex do an next-day delivery, but it's not cheap.
Jonman
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jan 5 2004, 07:44 AM)
Dear Jonman, what is the best colour light sabre? is there a good combination that looks super badass (the colour opptions are blue, green, purple, orange, yellow and red)

SPS

psst, happy birthday

Stripey. Colours are irrelevant - patterns is where it's at. Plaid's another good choice. Avoid tartan. No-one likes a Scottish Jedi.
Jonman
QUOTE (leopold @ Jan 5 2004, 08:04 AM)
QUOTE (Pab @ Jan 5 2004, 02:56 PM)

Now, I had thought about bein a complete git an tellin ya the wrong way to pronounce this word. But after all that Flash stuff ya did for me, I think that'd be dead mean of me.

It's pronounced "a-rye", with a short "a" (like in "apple")

Meself, I prefer to pronounce it "buggered up". It's essentially the same thing, but people are more likely to understand it.

*points at Leo*

What he said.
the lil' pie fairy
dear onjanmay

have you ever been out for a walk really late at night when you couldn't sleep and walked along the roads instead of paths as there are no cars, only to find the irresistible temptation of running around roundabouts a few times??

and what would you do if you did?

yours, a small temporary insomniac xx
Jonman
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Jan 7 2004, 08:00 AM)
dear onjanmay

have you ever been out for a walk really late at night when you couldn't sleep and walked along the roads instead of paths as there are no cars, only to find the irresistible temptation of running around roundabouts a few times??

and what would you do if you did?

yours, a small temporary insomniac xx

Nah, I'm far too lazy. On the odd occasion that sleep eludes me, I normally wander the apartment and play some videogames. That usually does the job.

Should I find myself out wandering and spotted a roundabout, I'd be far more likely to plot myself down in the middle of. Better yet would be to do some fire juggling, as Mata and I did circa 1993, at the Crawley juggling convention. A handful of offbeat jugglers, a bunch of flammable equipment and an unhealthy supply of paraffin led to a whole lot of fun, and a helluva lot of folks tooting their horns as they went around the roundabout...

Ahhh, great days....
Jaq
Dearest Jonman:

What should I do?

yours, Jaq
Jonman
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jan 7 2004, 09:37 AM)
Dearest Jonman:

What should I do?

yours, Jaq

Take over the world. That should keep you busy. You're probably best off starting with Luxumbourg.
acidteardrop
Dear Jonman,

I have a problem. How do i releive myself of it?

Your's Truly,
um.
porcelainwarrior
dear jonman,

i left wearing two sock-glove-legwarmer things on my arms and now i only have one? where is the other? did it unravel or did the bad-fashion fairy steal it?

yours, chilly armed mcgee
MistressAlti
Dear Jonman:

What are your thoughts on kittens?

Sincerely,
The Girl Who Uses Kittens In The War Against Spam
Jonman
QUOTE (acidteardrop @ Jan 7 2004, 03:24 PM)
Dear Jonman,

I have a problem. How do i releive myself of it?

Your's Truly,
um.

Well, being that you've given me no details whatsoever, I'll reply is similarly generic terms....

You need to figure out the thingy that's screwing up your whojamaflip. Isolate said thingy both metaphysically and metaphorically, and disect it's interrelationship with the problem node. Once the full nature of that interrelationship is known, you can design antiproblemular protocols which will negate the mechanism of the interrelationship, hence severing the link between problem and acidteardrop. Once you've done that, your whojamaflip will be like new again.
Jonman
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Jan 7 2004, 03:27 PM)
dear jonman,

i left wearing two sock-glove-legwarmer things on my arms and now i only have one? where is the other? did it unravel or did the bad-fashion fairy steal it?

yours, chilly armed mcgee

Were they socks? Were they legwarmers? Or were they gloves? Perhaps it wasn't the fashion fairies (although by the sounds of it, it perhaps should've been), but just existential uncertainty of the nature of it's existence that caused one of the sowarvers (as we'll call them) to simply confuse itself out of existence.

I recommend sticking to more psychologically secure clothing in future.
Jonman
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jan 7 2004, 03:52 PM)
Dear Jonman:

What are your thoughts on kittens?

Sincerely,
The Girl Who Uses Kittens In The War Against Spam

Kittens are either kewt ickle balls of fwuff, or evil geniuses (genii??). The jury is still out.
porcelainwarrior
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 8 2004, 02:18 PM)
Were they socks? Were they legwarmers? Or were they gloves? Perhaps it wasn't the fashion fairies (although by the sounds of it, it perhaps should've been), but just existential uncertainty of the nature of it's existence that caused one of the sowarvers (as we'll call them) to simply confuse itself out of existence.

I recommend sticking to more psychologically secure clothing in future.

they were technically legwarmers but the box they came in said wrist-bands even though it also had shoe sizes theyd fit and i cut holes in them to put my thumbs in...i think you were right and have since invested in some "proper" gloves that keep my whole hand warm tongue.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Jan 8 2004, 08:07 AM)
they were technically legwarmers but the box they came in said wrist-bands even though it also had shoe sizes theyd fit and i cut holes in them to put my thumbs in...i think you were right and have since invested in some "proper" gloves that keep my whole hand warm tongue.gif

while we're on the subject - I got some gloves over new year to keep Kat's little fingers warm, but they weren't just gloves, they were converti-govittens. Fingerless gloves that had a mitten attachement which velco'd onto the back of the hand out of the way for dextrous operations (i.e. smoking), and was hinged to flip over so you could tuck your naked fingertips into the mittentip to keep them toasy.

I was well impressed, me.
the lil' pie fairy
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 8 2004, 03:38 PM)
while we're on the subject - I got some gloves over new year to keep Kat's little fingers warm, but they weren't just gloves, they were converti-govittens. Fingerless gloves that had a mitten attachement which velco'd onto the back of the hand out of the way for dextrous operations (i.e. smoking), and was hinged to flip over so you could tuck your naked fingertips into the mittentip to keep them toasy.

dear jonman.......*gawps*

those, i want them. in pink. where on earth did you get them from??

pie xx
Jonman
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Jan 8 2004, 09:17 AM)

pie xx

A tourist tat shop in the blistering cold of Niagara, just across the street from Ripley's Believe It or Not! They were ninja Thinsulate ones and everything. Only available in black there, mind....
acidteardrop
Dear Jonman,

Do I qualify as a lay-dee? Leo appreciates Lay-dees, and I think I'm in need of some appreciation, but I don't know if I am a lay-dee or not. can you help me?

yours,
confused

P.S. great feedback on the last question, i think I'll try taht someday laugh.gif
Ocean!
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 8 2004, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Jan 8 2004, 09:17 AM)

pie xx

A tourist tat shop in the blistering cold of Niagara, just across the street from Ripley's Believe It or Not! They were ninja Thinsulate ones and everything. Only available in black there, mind....

Those are everywhere here in Canada.. They don't keep your hands warm, mind you, I freeze while snowborading...
cheese is funny
dear man of jon.

im worrying about something far away in the month of july. the WC meet. yes indeedy. i dont know what to wear the first day... should i wear blue or black pants with a cannable sex kitty shirt?

yours,

a small boy who cannot dress himself without someone else's help.
porcelainwarrior
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Jan 8 2004, 04:17 PM)

pie xx

i cant remember where you live but theyre everywhere here too...chain stores like internationale and claires accesories have them smile.gif
the lil' pie fairy
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Jan 9 2004, 10:37 AM)
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Jan 8 2004, 04:17 PM)

pie xx

i cant remember where you live but theyre everywhere here too...chain stores like internationale and claires accesories have them smile.gif

in claires?? i live here as well...have to go look now smile.gif
leopold
They have 'em in Gap as well, we got some fer the kids. They're really good.

But they dun use the removable mitteny bit to smoke. Or at least I hope they don't unsure.gif

Oh, an they do do 'em in pink.
Jonman
QUOTE (acidteardrop @ Jan 8 2004, 03:46 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Do I qualify as a lay-dee? Leo appreciates Lay-dees, and I think I'm in need of some appreciation, but I don't know if I am a lay-dee or not. can you help me?

yours,
confused

P.S. great feedback on the last question, i think I'll try taht someday laugh.gif

It's extremely difficult to subjectively quantify lay-dee-nicity over a web forum, so I've compiled this helpful short checklist that you can use to self-evaluate your laydeenessicity.

1: Do you have a cracking pair of boobs? (hairy man boobs do not count).
2: Do you find it necessary to wee sitting down in order to avoid bad-aim mishaps?
3: Is it socially acceptable in mainstream society for you to wear a bikini to the beach?
4: In your opinion, if someone offers you chocolate, is the morally correct thing to do to accept it and stuff as much of it down your neck as you can, even if it makes you ill?

If you answered at least 3 of the 4 above questions as YES, then you are without a doubt, a lay-dee. Keep a close eye on that Leo fellow.

If all of the answers are 1 or less of the answers are YES, then you are a chap - wear a kilt with no keks underneath, and you'll attract laydees like flies to honey. You can then take them to a private place and contrast and compare the anatomical and psychological differences. P.S. a steady supply of chocolate in one's sporran may be helpful.

If you answered YES to 2 of the above questions, then you're on the way to being a laydee, and either a few more years are needed to get there, or wait until the hormone treatment and surgeries are complete.
Jonman
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ Jan 8 2004, 11:08 PM)
dear man of jon.

im worrying about something far away in the month of july. the WC meet. yes indeedy. i dont know what to wear the first day... should i wear blue or black pants with a cannable sex kitty shirt?

yours,

a small boy who cannot dress himself without someone else's help.

Simple. In cases of bipolar confusion such as this, simply bring the poles together! Merge the options into one and there's no longer a mind-squigglingly difficult choice to be made!

Take one pair blue pants and one pair black pants. Chop each pair in half right up the middle, so you're left with 4 seperate leg coverings. Either ( a ) learn how to sew neatly, or (my preferred option) ( b ) get someone else who can sew to help e.g. mother, tailor etc, and sew the left leg of the blue pants to the right leg of the black pants.

Hey-presto! Problem solved, and you've got a unique pair of customised pants to boot!

P.S. Even after living here for 18 months, it still makes my chuckle when you ker-azy Americans call trousers pants....*guffaw*
the lil' pie fairy
QUOTE (leopold @ Jan 9 2004, 02:02 PM)
They have 'em in Gap as well, we got some fer the kids. They're really good.

But they dun use the removable mitteny bit to smoke. Or at least I hope they don't unsure.gif

Oh, an they do do 'em in pink.

oooooooo *jumps up and down*
i need to go shopping!! does anyone want to come with me?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.