Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sculpture Progress
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Pages: 1, 2
LoLo
Some people showed some interest of me doing a photo log of the progress of my sculpture. Currently it's not very exciting to look at but I think as it gets farther in you will see how cool it is to see a roll of wire become what I'm going to make it. I only worked on it for about 3 or 4 hours today, but I have to stop now and clean the house before my mom gets home. Also I don't like working on this stuff while my mom is home, so for today the progress is done. Here's the link, sorry about the popups, but I don't have enough room on my non popup pages to add all of this until its complete. I'll update on this thread as I do more.

Sculpture Progress

and for those who would like to see a finished piece similar to what I'm currently working on:

My Webpage look under the my art sculpture section and the last 3 are the same type of sculpture.
Sun Tsu
Lookin good so far, Lo.
Pikasyuu
That kicks, Lo. Keep us posted, yeah? Now I can actually understand how you people go through that process.
LoLo
Thanks guys like I said it's not much to look at right now, but it will get there. I just hope it doesn't bore you guys.
leopold
I dunno if you Americans ever had anythin like this, but fer those Brits old enough to remember...

Anyone remember Tony Hart?? (Vision On, Hartbeat etc... ya must remember Morph at least!!)

I usta watch him with awe an wonder as he'd create summat from nowt... I guess bein totally uncreative or artistic, I usta find it fascinatin to watch people take a bunch of stuff an turn it into summat!

This is kinda like that for me. Lo, yer me hero, babe smile.gif
LoLo
You're sweet Leo. Well we have like painting shows on tv, and this one show my mom watches called trash to treasure where people turn stuff like irons into clocks and such. It is fun to watch for me too, to see stuff transform. Like I said though some people might get bored with it, but I think when I get the end result the first steps will look kind of cool. lol
leopold
I guess as a creative person like yerself, lo, it's fun to watch cos ya can get ideas an stuff. Fer me, I just find it fascinatin that people can visualise stuff from a roll of chicken wire an a bit of gloopy paper...

I dunno about anyone else, but I love this!
LoLo
Leo I am glad that you like this and that you are fascinated by it. I personally am fascinated by it as well and this is my first attempt to ever document something, so it makes it worth it if at least one person likes it.

Just a side note.....it's not chicken wire it's aviary wire, which is similar to chicken wire only with smaller circles. When it comes to a piece like this having the smaller circles may mean more bending to keep it together, but it makes it have more for the skin to grab onto when I cover the skeleton. I don't and didn't expect anyone to know that though, I just think it's kind of cool to know. Then again that's probably just me. lol
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (leopold @ Jun 4 2003, 08:53 PM)
Anyone remember Tony Hart?? (Vision On, Hartbeat etc... ya must remember Morph at least!!)

/me goes misty-eyed with nostalgia, and begins to hum the Gallery theme...

I must agree with leo - it's pretty captivating stuff. I'm not an arty type either - especially not sculpture - so it's great to watch someone who knows their shit putting something together.

However, I must point out that, if leo had had his Paying Attention hat on, he would have noticed that the bundle containing the 'chicken wire' said Aviary Netting on it.

But then, what is an aviary if not a posh chicken coop? wink.gif
leopold
They say yer never too old to learn summat new!!

I never knew there was a difference... heck, I'd never even heard of aviary wire before now! Mind, it figures that most birds are smaller than yer average chicken an could prolly squeeze through the holes in chicken wire... An it makes sense aviary wire would be better too, now I think about it...

If I were creative like you, I'd document summat on this scale for me own benefit, so I could look back on the whole process... it wouldn't bother me at all if noboby else cared! Okay, I lie... it'd bother me a little laugh.gif
leopold
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Jun 4 2003, 10:13 PM)
However, I must point out that, if leo had had his Paying Attention hat on, he would have noticed that the bundle containing the 'chicken wire' said Aviary Netting on it.

Oh yeah! So it does!! Silly me... rolleyes.gif
cheese is funny
work hard lo, i wanna see something great come out of this biggrin.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ Jun 4 2003, 03:22 PM)
work hard lo, i wanna see something great come out of this biggrin.gif

It will lol, and I will.........it just takes time. All that work today and all I got was the base with a little shape to it. It takes a lot of work just to bend and flatten out all the seams where things connect, and where pieces like the bottom are added on.
LoLo
I'm bumping for the sheer joy of bumping this thread. lol
cheese is funny
hows the sculpture coming lo?
LoLo
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ Jun 4 2003, 06:57 PM)
hows the sculpture coming lo?

That's it until tomorrow. I don't like to work on things when my moms around and I had to stop early to do some housework. Only thing I did on it since I last took the picture was cut off some more excess from the shaping and close the gaps caused by said cutting.
TigerLily013
Keep it up on kicking ass Lo! smile.gif

We did something like that last semester, we made a life size faerie using chicken wire, a broken chair, plaster and paint of course.

well off to bed, night night.
LoLo
Yeah its similar to how they make floats too. It's fun and I like doing it cause you often don't see art pieces made out of wire and the size that I make them, that are so light and easy to move around.

Thanks Tigerlily.....and have a good rest.
elf
Cool! You sculpt out of... weird stuff, not clay! you're original... cool biggrin.gif
LoLo
I do use clay on occasions, but this is cheaper, and i like the look better, plus I don't have to locate a kiln to fire my piece in. lol
LoLo
Day two has been added. My hands couldn't take anymore poking or the pain of clenching to hold the plyers to bend the wire so I'm done for today.

Tomorrow there should be a head. Oh and I found out that the lady wants to turn it into a fountain so I have to buy a tube to run up through the bottom into one of the hands, so water can be pumped off the plate that she's holding when it's done.

Enjoy.
Sun Tsu
Lookin to be shaping well already. smile.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (Sun Tsu @ Jun 5 2003, 12:35 PM)
Lookin to be shaping well already. smile.gif

Thanks sun.....this is just the basic shape so far, once I get the head, arms and plate added, then I get to start working on attaching the details like the folds in the skirt and the braid down the back......oh what fun. I'm still trying to decide as to whether or not add a face. I kind of like the faceless work, and well those details are so small that its really hard to build them up into a wire frame. Guess we'll see.
The Tortured Soul
great sculptures LoLo...

your Rox orz My Sox orz wink.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (The Tortured Soul @ Jun 5 2003, 01:26 PM)
great sculptures LoLo...

your Rox orz My Sox orz wink.gif

thanks
cheese is funny
looks like its coming along well, i cant wait for the finished product lo biggrin.gif
elf
ooh! i can't wait until it's done! *bounces*
reaper
thats cool Lolo,it looks good and I am sure it will amazing when its done biggrin.gif . I can not wait to see what it looks like when it is all finished. I have never tried to make a sculpture before but I respect the time and effort you are putting into it. Keep up the good work smile.gif
TigerLily013
excellent progress there Lo!

You're definitely goin' faster than our group back in art class omg we sucked lol but oours looked one of the most coolest.
LoLo
you guys are all nice, considering its not much to look at yet. lol
reaper
still smile.gif and thanks,you are really nice to
LoLo
Day 3 was added, but not much was done. When I was attaching the head my blood sugar decided to crash and I couldn't hold my hand still. I'm gonna go lay down for a bit.
reaper
awww. I hope your alright.It taking shape nicely. Do you have diabeatis, my aunt has that and my grandma did before she past on. I hope you feel better Lolo
elf
Oi...I like it... I can't wait until it's done! biggrin.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (reaper @ Jun 6 2003, 08:27 PM)
awww. I hope your alright.It taking shape nicely. Do you have diabeatis, my aunt has that and my grandma did before she past on. I hope you feel better Lolo

hypoglycemia its like the opposite of diabetes
TigerLily013
Well lets hope you get better anyway *hugs* wub.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (TigerLily013 @ Jun 6 2003, 09:28 PM)
Well lets hope you get better anyway *hugs* wub.gif

thanks i am.....i ate a lot and rested for a bit and it got better.
reaper
Yayish, I am wicked glad you are better smile.gif
LoLo
I just wanted to let you all know that this thread will probably not be updated again until next week. I was taking a couple of days off to let my hands heal, and then I got a call yesterday during Leo's and Jaq's wedding from a potential employer. I have an interview with them on Friday, so I think it would be best if I kept my hands and arms scratch free, and I'm getting to the part that scratches more now. Thank you all for your interest in this and I will update you when I get back to work on the sculpture.
Eileen Aries
It looks great Lolo.
Good luck on your interview, I hope yopu get the job.

*sends luck vibes Lolo's way*
SuperKathoid
Hope you get that job too! laugh.gif But I wanna see you keep working on that sculpture babe... I gotta see how the whole thing turns out...

smile.gif
LoLo
I'm going to begin my work on it again in the morning after I finally mow the lawn. lol I had to give my mom 2 free weeks of mowings to make up for me putting it off as much as I did. lol
SuperKathoid
Lolo, what ever happened to the sculpture?? Im interested to know how/if it worked out... laugh.gif Let us know...
LoLo
Still haven't worked on it....I'm bad....I just lost my muse.
SuperKathoid
awww... you should get back to it, BECAUSE I SAID SO!!! laugh.gif
LoLo
I bent some wires today. Doesn't look much different. Just pieces are on more tightly. I can't find my digi cam so I decided to stop because I didn't want to get to far without being able to document it. That and I have the attention span of a goldfish today.
SuperKathoid
dont stay too long as a goldfish, Lo... ill eat you. because youre the snack, that smiles back UNTIL YOU BITE THEIR HEADS OFF!!!

god, that commercial is horrible mad.gif
LoLo
After months of no muse, my muse hit me. I only got arms on though so it's not as exciting as I was hoping for today. I just got my hand caught in one of the sleeves and tore it up. Can't do much with a hand that hurts. laugh.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Hi, Lolo. Don't know you very well but wanted to offer my encouragement.

I work with chicken wire on a regular basis - hurts like hell!! But can really reward!!

All the best - please keep us posted.

LOL XX
MoonlightSavingsTime
Yay, Lo! It's so nice to hear you took up this project again. I was looking forward to seeing more progress on this sculpture for a long time, but I can understand how it's hard to force inspiration. I'm glad your muse came back! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.