Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Religion
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Phyllis
okay, this has probably been asked before, but heh i'm trying to get some intelligent conversation going. tongue.gif

do you practice a religion? if so, what one? if you don't practice a religion, why not? do ya not believe in a higher being(s), or just feel that organized religion isn't for you? if you were raised as a devout *insert faith here* and no longer practice that faith, what caused you to stop?

myself i don't feel that organized religion is right for me. i'd rather be alone with my thoughts, and not told when to pray and not be preached to. i'd also rather determine my own morals rather than have them outlined for me in a book (especially one that i don't agree with on many important points, such as the bible). i've never been to church a day in my life as neither of my parents are religious either, and i don't believe that because i was never baptized, i'm going to hell. moreover, i don't believe there even is a hell. i can bring myself to believe in some sort of afterlife, but i can't see what anyone could do that would be so bad they would be beyond forgiveness.

anway, that's my opinion..what's everyone else's? smile.gif
craziness
i dont believe in god or religion, organized religion is evil. hell is just a weird lie, and so is heaven. i believe that when you die, you are just dead and gone. there is nothing to prove to me that religion should exist, so i think its a bullshit scheme to make money.
Phyllis
really? interesting. i think you're the first person i've actually spoken to who is an atheist, crazi. wow, that tells ya somethin bout where i live, huh? lol

i have always thought that the threat of hell was just a way to control people. i don't think i'm gonna burn eternally cause i had..ermm..."relations" with my husband before marriage. anything that is called a sin is just a law made by men posing as divine words, to me.

but for some reason i do believe in some sort of heaven and some higher being...i don't know why, i really have no evidence to back that up (nor does anyone..i hate it when people try to give me "evidence" out of the bible). it's just what i've always felt... *shrug*
Debaser
i think that organised religion has many faults in it, strictly speaking faith-wise. there's lots that can't be explained, and there's lots of other stuff that's up with it...

at the moment, secular humanism (from that quiz, i know, don't yell at me for following the quiz) seems to make the most sense to me. there is no belief in a god/deity, no belief in an afterlife, yet a strong emphasis on helping society and others. if you ask me, it's pretty solid.
LoLo
I was born and raised a mormon. They tried to sacraficially drown me when I was eight, or what they like to call baptizing. lol. Basically when you are eight you are of age and can be baptized and then an elder man dunks you in a big bathtub surrounded by mirrors for people to see, and says a prayer while holding you under water where nothing can float above the water including hair or you have to start over, until the prayer is finished. My dad baptized me and well he's a moron and the sensation I was supposed to feel of my sins being washed away was more a stinging pain in my lungs from lack of air. How many sins can and 8 year old have anyways? I said the F word when a tetherball hit me in the face but that was bout it.

I stopped going to church when I was 9. Mostly because I didn't like wearing dresses and there I had to, and I didn't like they way they treated my mom when she decided to divorce my dad. You know women arent supposed to have brains or guts in that religion most of the time. As I grew older I found that I totally disagreed with the beliefs and refused to go back no matter how many people the sicked on me to get me back. I seriously think the mormon church should join in the hunt for bin laden cause if they can find me in a trailor in TN living with two guys, and having nothing under my name and only being supplied with the information from my father who didnt know exactly where i moved too just that it was TN, then they can find bin laden.

As for what I believe in now.......not really organized at all. I would say after all the religions I've studied, which is quite a bit, I just like to be informed when debating people about religion and have made this my past time, I think I relate most to Wicca, although not totally. I practice LoLoism, which basically is, believe what you want to believe and don't push it on me or anyone else.
gerbilfromhell
i'll make this short but too the point (sry in advance if neone made a post that should be responded to and i'm cutting them off)
i believe in a 'greater being' not a 'creator' and definitelly not an 'almighty', i believe it (how can a greater being have a gender?) either manipulated the Big Bang or was created by it. i do not believe in an afterlife, as that was created simply to scare the masses into accepting various religions cause 'without them you would have one of the various bad afterlives. i don't believe that god controls our lives cause THAT was created simply to give ppl somethin to blame their lives on. i believe that when we die, our 'essense'/'being' spreads out into all the rest of life, which changes the world (although insignificantly), however the 'being' that was you dies with your body. those're my basic beliefs
Phyllis
wow...no one so far that actually goes to church.

interesting beliefs, gerbil...i agree w/ several of em -- especially the part about a higher being with no gender...i've never understood that either. i also don't believe that god controls our lives either...i like to think that i'm in control of my own fate. smile.gif

I practice LoLoism, which basically is, believe what you want to believe and don't push it on me or anyone else.

ha, in that case, i'm a LoLoist as well. i hate it when people try to force me to believe what they do. i don't understand that, anyway. why must others "save" people who believe differently? my sister's friend was baptized at a friend's house when she was about 4..then they sent her home to tell her family that she had been "saved"....ooo i would have been sooo furious had that been my daughter.

how do the rest of you guys react when someone tries to convince you that their faith is the only way to go? i generally get in a huge, pointless debate with them (pointless because i know from the start that neither of us will change the other's mind..lol)
LoLo
I don't know why they try to save you. I've had so many people try to save me and I think I'm going to do what Cheese has suggested and talk them out of their beliefs lol. Sad thing is I know more about others religions than they sometimes. lol
elf
I'm Christian (just, generally) and I was baptized... when I was... 10 or 9, I think. I usually pray, but I don't go to church, cuz the weird thing is that my parents don't believe in God... Grr...
youralligatoratemydonut
I'm a Bokononist. Bokononism, for those of you who don't know, is a religion based on lies. Bokonon (the holy figure and author of the books of Bokonon) himself claims that Bokononism is "A pack of foma! Lies!".
I believe in a higher being, but not a "holy one", just a higher one.
My mother and grandparents on her side, are trying to brainwash me into becoming a mindless Christian-freak, but are so far without success.
LoLoism sounds pretty great, maybe I'll convert sometime...
poppa.moo
Before I start, apologies if I offend anyone.

I don't believe in any religion, cos they're ain't no proof in any of it. People seem to believe in anything they read in the newspapers these days, and we all know that over half of it is utter bullsh*t, and the same goes for religion. Take God, Jesus, Adam & Eve, The Bible for example. There is more proof that a god doesn't exist than does. Why would a superior being put us through all this hurt & pain? In which case i would most likely believe that a superior being such as 'Satan' has split personalities. Jesus, Adam & Eve all tie in with the bible. Which could have somebody's idea of a joke. It may not be, don't get me wrong. But there is no proof of any of it.

I more inclined to believe in the theory of evolution. But, Hell, i just get on with my life and let everyone else get on with theirs. Simple as. I am just one person, i believe in nothing, but that doesn't make a sh*t of difference.

But that's only my opinion.
Phyllis
QUOTE (poppa.moo @ Jun 16 2003, 12:47 AM)
the bible. Which could have somebody's idea of a joke. It may not be, don't get me wrong. But there is no proof of any of it.

i personally have always disliked the bible. and christianity, for that matter (not christians, themselves, mind you, don't get me wrong).

it just strikes me as odd that a religion that began as pretty much a cult has become so huge. and that a religion that has borrowed so much from other religions just to get them to convert to christianity has so many followers that are completely convinced that every word they hear at church is true. it's obvious they just made it up to suit themselves.

and i dunno call me crazy, but the whole virgin mary thing has always just struck me as a girl who could really stick to her story. wink.gif

the logic just simply doesn't add up to me.

oh and
Why would a superior being put us through all this hurt & pain?

to that i stick to my earlier comment of believing that said superior being has no real control over our lives. we cause the hurt and pain and like to blame it on something else, anything else. but for some odd reason, i do still believe in some sort of "higher power"...don't ask me why on that one, lol...i have no evidence and even less of a clue as to why. but heh at least i admit that i'm clueless, cause we all are really. some people i've known would insist that their religious text is scientific proof, however.. =/
poppa.moo
To quote one of my favourite films:
"Do you really think Joseph would have stayed married to Mary if he wasn't getting any?"
laugh.gif I'll agree candice.

Give me undeniable proof, and i shall believe.
Phyllis
one of my favorite films is stigmata (if anyone hasn't seen it, you should have, particularly if you're catholic--i don't say this to be mean, but i think it's good to question your beliefs, because then you can truly say "this is absolutely what i believe"..no use hiding in a shell). anyway, in the film it discusses some scrolls that basically contradicted a whole bunch of stuff in the bible..said you needn't worship indoors or congregate w/ a bunch of other ppl. i believe the quote was something like "look for me not in buildings of wood and stone. break some wood, and you will find me, lift a stone, and i am there."

anyway, the scrolls were in aramaeic (sp??) which is the language that jesus supposedly spoke (as for the whole jesus thing, that's always struck me as odd...one quote i liked from the mists of avalon said something like "no man, no matter how blessed, could wipe away all the sins of mankind")..but it has been renounced by the catholic church as heresy. nice way to deal with somethin that ya don't like, eh, just ignore it! lol. anyway, tis a very interesting movie, if you are interested in what different people believe, that is.
poppa.moo
Stigmata is one of my favourites too, because it challenges beliefs, and makes you think about the whole religion thang. It also shows how corrupt the church is. (Please note how i am not mention catholics here, it is ALL churches!)
nordelen
now, let me get my thoughts staight on this one.....(i may use the incorrect words for things at times, but please bare with me.)
i believe that this life is not the end of things for the simple reason that the energy that was our memories, love, respect and hatred have to go somewhere. i dont believe that it can be used up or destroyed. (i have not put alot of thought into this, as you can see.)

i believe that faith in a god can be a good thing in that we all need some form of comfort to get us through the week.

congregations can be bad or good, depending on the leader.

when a religious congregation is based on love and respect great things can happen.

i also believe that blind faith can be a bad thing as it can breed hatred and resentment between different cultures. blind faith, to me , also makes it look like the religion does'nt know what its talking about, making stuff up as it goes along, and expects you to believe it without questioning it. (case in point: piss-poor wine and a waffer is someone's body and blood. i dont know about you, but the thought of canabalism makes me wanna puke!)

so far i have not found any religion that suits me, or any "life philosophy" for that matter. i was brought up in a catholic community and have not read/studied any other religions, as i believe that they all end up the same in the end: brimming with good intentions, but falling short of the mark every time (the mark being when it can stand up to scrutany without starting in on "you godless hethen! you will burn in hell! ).
poppa.moo
Threre are too many religions trying to herd us into their way of thinking like sheep. In one way or another we are forced into beliefs, whether it be through the media or by individuals who believe so strongly in something they feel the need to stand in the middle of a public place spouting out what someone else has told them to say. It's too much. I hate to be pressured, and think that people should be able to make their own minds up, in their own time, as long as they keep bugging me, i will not believe in anything. Not even in life, after all, could this be only a dream? Yes? No? How do you know?

Which brings me back to my 'proof' point.

I Thank-You, and Good Night.
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (LoLo @ Jun 16 2003, 03:07 AM)
I was born and raised a mormon. [...snip...] You know women arent supposed to have brains or guts in that religion most of the time.

Exactly LoLo, I quickly got that impression even with my short experience with Mormonism (via my significant other, as you know). For everyone who doesn't know, my boyfriend was Mormon when I first met him. I went to church with him once, out of curiosity (the information-gathering curiosity, rather than the "I'm-lost-and-looking-to-convert" kind of curiosity). I was not very pleased with what I saw. It was very disappointing to witness all the blatant sex segregation in that church. I mean, it's one thing to read about how certain religions have different expectations of the sexes, but it's a completely different experience to actually attend a church that advocates those priorities. They had separate bible instruction for men and for wimmin, and it appeared that wimmin aren't allowed to be leaders in the church at all. If anything, I saw the wimmin practicing the traditional caretaker/supporter role, watching the kids and whatnot while their husbands led the church ceremony, etc. Bleh. It just sickened me. And I get the feeling that that's the least of the sex segregation/sexism that takes place in the Mormon church. Gee, "let's not encourage our wimmin to actually have aspirations and amount to anything...."

Another LoLo quote:
I seriously think the mormon church should join in the hunt for bin laden cause if they can find me in a trailor in TN living with two guys, and having nothing under my name and only being supplied with the information from my father who didnt know exactly where i moved too just that it was TN, then they can find bin laden.

How true! After my boyfriend left the Mormon church and moved from California to Minnesota and back to California, those Mormons seemed to have a remarkably easy time tracking him down each time, even when he didn't notify any churchy people about the move. Even to this day, he conceals his face or hides behind a tree whenever we see Mormons-on-bikes coming towards us. It's like they have a "Missing" or "Wanted" database in the Mormon church, complete with pictures and detailed descriptions of the "missing" members. Creepy.
poppa.moo
QUOTE (elf @ Jun 16 2003, 03:54 AM)
I'm Christian (just, generally) and I was baptized...

In which case I am a christian too, and my beliefs are about as strong as my christianity. ie none existant!
nordelen
QUOTE (candice @ Jun 16 2003, 08:55 AM)
i personally have always disliked the bible. and christianity, for that matter (not christians, themselves, mind you, don't get me wrong).

i think that th bible has some good moral stories in it, but anyone who believes that it is all "the word of god" needs to have their head checked, in my humble opinion.
and something i forgot to add in my last rant: inspiration is a good thing.
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (gerbilfromhell @ Jun 16 2003, 03:19 AM)
i believe in a 'greater being' not a 'creator' and definitelly not an 'almighty', i believe it (how can a greater being have a gender?) either manipulated the Big Bang or was created by it.

Good point, gerbil. I have always been confused by the concept of a monotheistic god or higher being having a gender. How can god be "male" if god does not have a physical, tangible form? I guess god has omniscient genitals too.

Seriously though, any god that identifies exclusively with one sex/gender should not possibly be able to even conceive of a second gender. Nor should that god even find any need for another gender (in terms of creation). Okay, to explain my point, let's say god possesses a gender known as "queg." In one possible scenario, the queg god may decide to create a mortal being who is also queg. These queg people are self-reliant and self-sustaining in the sense that they do not require the companionship or assistance of other queg people in order to survive. They exist and survive independently. In the second possible scenario (and the one that more closely resembles our reality), the queg god decides to split queggy personality in half, or in thirds, or quarters, and so on, and queg god builds creation based on these split quegs, who in their split versions are known as either yort, huji, or vink. Due to their split, and therefore incomplete, quegness, these yorts, hujis, and vinks, instead of existing independently, must depend on the cooperation of *each other* for survival.

All right, this is on the verge of morphing into a ridiculous-sounding creation story, so I'll just cut myself short before this gets any further, and hope that my point has nonetheless been made.
MoonlightSavingsTime
I should pause to actually explain my beliefs before I continue responding to everyone else's thoughts.

Thesis statement: If I had to sum up my beliefs with a label, I'd be considered a "god-free agnostic pagan."

What that basically means is that, overall, I consider myself agnostic, though I lean more towards the possibility that there is no god/higher being. I don't think it's within our means to know for certain though. As for the pagan bit, I've read some about nature-based religions and have liked what I read. Plus I love nature, and I'm an environmentalist, and I think that one important thing we've forgotten as a society is how to reverence/appreciate/nurture the earth that gave birth to us and that continues to sustain us throughout our lives. The way we treat the environment in an industrialized society affects the entire world's population, so I think it's important to realize our impact and to take responsibility for it. Of course, this isn't so much about religious/spiritual beliefs as it is about the values and ideas that I've gleaned from reading about pagan religions (and from pondering and informing myself of these issues).

I feel that any spirituality I do have comes from nature itself, and from a realisation of how interconnected everything is in nature.

I was raised as a Christian, in the Lutheran denomination. Baptized as a baby. Had my first communion when I was about 10 years old. Took confirmation "classes" and was confirmed when I was 14. I hated every bit of the process at the time, but I'm simultaneously grateful for the experience and the knowledge I gained about the religion, especially from the confirmation classes which required a lot of studying and analysing of the bible.

When I was too young to really understand why I was going to church, I still hated going, only because it meant I had to wake up earlier than I preferred to on Sunday mornings. Plus it meant going to Sunday school, and since I always disliked going to regular school as is, I dreaded Sundays all the more because it took away from my weekend. Stupid reasons I know, but as I grew older, I started questioning the whole process and the belief system. I was probably 12 when I first formulated my first true doubts about christianity and theistic religion as a whole. I wasn't able to synthesize my beliefs beyond the fact that I knew I didn't believe in the religion in which I was raised and that I didn't believe that there was a god at all. It wasn't until the year I was confirmed that I was able to process and explain my beliefs more articulately. Unfortunately, it wasn't yet articulate enough to allow me to avoid being confirmed in my church, which I had wanted to avoid at all costs. I let myself be pressured into it by my mother. I never went to church after that, unless I really had to for baptisms and such.

I'm talking too much, so I'll just sum up real quickly. I first considered myself an atheist and held such a contempt for religion and god that I refused to believe in the mere possibility of a higher power, even though I simultaneously felt that agnosticism was more logical than atheism. I was stubborn about it for several years before I started seeing myself as somewhat agnostic. Then I started reading about pagan religions, and yadda yadda here I am.

I have so much more I could say about this topic, but I think I've hogged this thread enough so I'll shut up for now. I will say, though, that I'm highly enjoying reading everyone's posts on here so far, and I literally mean every last one of you that has posted so far, and that will post in future. The topic of religion and spirituality just really intrigues me and I enjoy hearing what others have to say about it.
poppa.moo
I have to agree MST. Religion intrigues me, and particuarlaly why people follow what they do so strongly. This is a really interesting read, and very insightful about y'all!
LindyLouWho
First off I wanna say "yay" for those who have been in this discusion so far. I have seen alot of acceptance and support for others, if the rest of the world could be so open minded..::sigh:: but alas it is not so let me add my theorys to the pot. I beleive in something greater than ourselves. Whether this is an omnipotent being or a higher conciousness I do not know. However I do know that engery cannot be destroyed ((thats physics for those who are completely without faith)) and if we 'our souls' are nothing else we are energy, electricity if you will. I beleive that once we die we return to the source of life, perhaps to go through the crazy whirlwind of life once again.

As for organized religion I have found none that truely speak to me on enough levels for me to commit to them. I have, as some of you have, researched different religions and ideas and found good points in all. Christianity to me is more so a corruption of a set of beliefs and a morphing of a story to support a few peoples ideas. The bible that is followed today is the king james version I think and that leads me to wonder how one can base their lives on a "version". I have recently attended services at a Baptist church and was appaled to hear the preacher inform his flock that those of other denominations are not heard by God. blink.gif I was so disgusted I had to leave the church and wait outside for the rest of the family. Lucky for me there was a great open field nearby wich I went to. I then prayed for the misguided souls in the building behind me. Just because I am not sure of a form I still think that prayer has effect. Even if it is only through force of will. If you consider how far we have come since the dawn of this age how can we doubt the power of our thoughts and desires.

I have heard alot of great ideas being metioned that have a good deal to do with the Kevin Smith film "Dogma". ... I love that movie .. many of the ideas it expresses seem very right on the money. As for the movie Stigmata.. another super movie... the text mentioned is the gosple of St. Thomas and is available but kinda hard to find. I have yet to procure a copy... but honestly would not trust a copy to be completely true to the original. I think that many can find their faith in a building, be it a temple or a church or what ever. For me personally however I beleive that one is closest to the source of life when surounded by the rest of the creation.

I think that all religion has truths ... and that if there is a "God" then the differences in our religions are explained by the way the message was interpreted. Christianity evolved mostly from the Jewish faith and yet many Christians profess that the beleifs of the sacred text of that faith are wrong... I find this laughable really... you thought they were good enough to copy but now they are false???? umm no. If one was to base their following of a religion on what other humans have beleived in the past I think the clearest choice would be Paganism, or possibly Budhism. Both developed independantly before religion became something to kill people over >.<

Oh boy I have rambled enough but I will definately be back to this thread to post again. thanks for your attention and indulgence.
wub.gif I think you all are really wonderfull people.
nordelen
QUOTE (LindyLouWho @ Jun 16 2003, 12:03 PM)
However I do know that engery cannot be destroyed ((thats physics for those who are completely without faith)) and if we 'our souls' are nothing else we are energy, electricity if you will. I beleive that once we die we return to the source of life, perhaps to go through the crazy whirlwind of life once again.

yay! someone else who beleives this. i have had this same kind of thought since i was about fourteen, and it still holds relevence eight years on, while all other "christian" ideals have been proven wrong time and time again!
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (LindyLouWho @ Jun 16 2003, 12:03 PM)
The bible that is followed today is the king james version I think and that leads me to wonder how one can base their lives on a "version".

Very true, LindyLouWho. It bothers me that so many people can place all of their faith in a book that is guided not only by the worldview of a select few (male) writers, but also by the personal biases of a translator(s) from centuries before our time.
porcelainwarrior
i like how MST explained himself, sounds a lot like what i belive ... though i definitely lean more to the pagan side - i keep a small altar in my room but dont pray in speecific to anything/anyone - ive been labelled eclectic wicca because of a lot of my beliefs but i dont think i am ...

i was raised christian (church of scotland) christened at a few weeks old which i totally disagree with. i dont mind so much that i had a church upbringing but i dont believe the decision to be christened into the faith should be made for you - i have only ever taken communion once (from the common cup) and have chosen not to do so again as i feel it is disrespectful to both the church and myself although i know my grandparents find it embarrassing when i pass it over

im interested in a lot of other religions and often visit mosques, temples, chapels, the kingdom halls etc with my friends of other faiths- ive been flamed for this approach in the past but i dont care, i dont believe in a specific god and can find spirit wherever i am - individual religions are just different wrappings for the same thing in my opinion

i dnt know what i think happens when we die though so ... i shall wander off now
LindyLouWho
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Jun 16 2003, 02:28 PM)
individual religions are just different wrappings for the same thing in my opinion

Thats a really good way of saying something I was totally long winded and rambling about! I think the deity or what ever it is, presents itself to different cultures in a way they could understand and then of course we get it all mixed up cuz hey we are human and therefor falable.
Tarantio
im a roman catholic. we dont get much choice in our religion coz (conveniently) we are raised in it from birth. what with it being a relatively common religion, most of u will know how sucky it is. but, despite my anger at "the church" and my non-attendance of mass, im still a religious kinda guy. i believe in something, mostly just the sheer fact of belief in the first place. its more of an emotional prop for me than an intellectual argument. i long ago decided that the bible is nonsense and my religion is fatally flawed.

another quote, methinks: "It was Christianity which first painted the devil on the worlds wall; it was Christianity which first brought sin into the world. Belief in the cure it offered has now been shaken to its deepest roots; but belief in the sickness which it taught and propagated continues to exist." - Nietzche
hinsley
i dont think im off any religion. i beleive in everyone having equal rights and im totally for all sexualitys and all walks of life.

im against any discrimination.

i think when we de, we die. so we might as well have fun while we are here and do what we like!!!
Queenie
i've been baptized, had my first holy communion an confirmation an i'm roman catholic - but recently my beliefs seem to hav changed, i'm questionin whether there really is a God an if so even tho evil in the world is because of Adam an Eve's 'fall', y is there so much. especialy for some peps more than others.
as for proofs of God, there is the Ontological an cosmological arguments that are meant to prove God's existance. yet there are also arguments to prove that God doesnt exist.
(sorry if im rambling, i study theology so this is quite an important topic for me even tho at the moment im havin my doubts)
i still believe there is somethin out there, as somethin must hav created what there is now and if God is omniscient and omnipotent (may hav spelt that wrong) well that could b one idea for the beginin of the world. u neva know he could hav cause the big bang!? if thats even believable. science is quite doubtful to.
Religion generally is a bit i dunno sus, there are so many that its kinda hard to think of which one to believe, they all hav such strong beliefs that contradict in so many ways.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Queenie @ Jun 16 2003, 01:18 PM)
i'm questionin whether there really is a God an if so even tho evil in the world is because of Adam an Eve's 'fall', y is there so much.

that's one of the main things i've always disliked about the bible...the whole idea of evil and sin entering into the world through eve. why did it have to be through a woman? =/ it doesn't speak very highly of men either, when you think about it. it rather implies that adam was a man of very little brain, if he could be so easily tempted by eve into eating the stupid apple.
craziness
ok firstly, i think its a bit obvious that the bible is some crazy store some dude made up one day because he was bored. either that or he was either insane, or maybe he was trying to make money or something. i dont understand this: we read greek myths in school. people say "who would ever believe this stuff?!!!" but dude, look at what you are believing!!!!!!!!!!! i think religion is a load of crap. i do think its interesting to learn about, and i dont care if people believe in it, i just dont personally.
Righteous
I know I'm in the minority here, but I really don't care.

These are my spiritual beliefs:
I believe there is a force within the universe trancends, time, space and dimension (It sounds ludacris, but Einstein said it's possible). I believe that this force has a conciousness and this conciousness created the universe in ways we cannot imagine abd that this conciousness placed part of itself into a human body to tell the world of a love and reward greater that all of human thought. This man, Jesus Christ, led a ministry by teaching, healing and loving and accepting all. He was executed, died and was buried. He rose again three days later, lived on the Earth for fourty days and ascended. I believe that when we die, our souls go back into the holiness that breathed us into this world and that one day, we will be ressurected and judged. I believe in a master plan and view the bible as more of a historical text than a devine inspiration, though at the same time, it is in a sense a living document in that it can be veryinspiring mentally, emotionally and spiritually. I believe that Christ is the way, the truth and the life and that he came to bring us into a rewarding, intimate, personal relationship with God.

These are my personal beliefs:
I need no purification rituals or confessions to feel accepted by God. I believe that he loves me regardless of my moral stance. Through meditation and study, I came to find my own view on God and refused to have them dictated to me. I'm one man who is a part of god. I am a part of the Church Universal at my discresion. My allegence, first and foremost, is to a God greater than a building with paintings, statues and stained glass. I do believe, however, that it is important to gather with fellow believers, however it is up to the person to decide his beliefs. The church cannot force its beliefs or standards upon anyone. The church can only do so much for the souls of others. Ultimately, I am the one who chooses what I do and do not do.

These are my beliefs and I will stand y them. I take this time now to tell you I am a devout Christian and plan on going into ministry (If I told you this earlier, I have a feeling you'd be less open minded when you read it).
LindyLouWho
I feel a tad insulted that you would judge us so harshly in the face of such obvious acceptance and openmindedness. as to your beleifs they are yous and you are entitled to them, and honestly there isnt anything that seem so totally out there about your statements on your veiws.
Righteous
My apologies. I'm just used to being persecuted by both Christians and non-Christians for my beliefs. I will tell you this though: When I have a ministry, I would like it to be open to all kinds of people: Traditional Christians, nontraditional Christians, alternatives, people with tatoos, homosexuals, everybody and anybody. Yep. I'm getting that warm fuzzy feeling already.
Feyliya
I am very highly devoutly Wiccan. My family's all Catholic, so I'm an "in the broom closet" Witch. For the most part, anyway. Frankly, I don't give a flying flip about what religion a person follows, so long as they are decent people. I just can't see God/Goddess/Giant Blow-Up Sheep in the Sky turning people away from Heaven/Nirvanah/The Summerlands/Etc....just because they follow one religion and not another, especially if they've been good people.
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (candice @ Jun 16 2003, 02:55 PM)
that's one of the main things i've always disliked about the bible...the whole idea of evil and sin entering into the world through eve. why did it have to be through a woman? =/ it doesn't speak very highly of men either, when you think about it. it rather implies that adam was a man of very little brain, if he could be so easily tempted by eve into eating the stupid apple.

I'm in full agreement here, candice. It seems to be a common thread throughout mythological/theological history though, because I'm also reminded of the Greek myth of Pandora's box -- in which, you guessed it, a womyn is at fault for releasing all the evil into the world. Damn those wimmin and their feminine weakness for curiosity!
jicama
I'm in full agreement here, candice. It seems to be a common thread throughout mythological/theological history though, because I'm also reminded of the Greek myth of Pandora's box -- in which, you guessed it, a womyn is at fault for releasing all the evil into the world. Damn those wimmin and their feminine weakness for curiosity!

actually, an older version of the story says that pandora was merely a messenger. it was her husband epithemius (who's name means "afterthought", the brother of promethius) who opened the box. ah, the things you learn when you take a class or two on ancient myths!

as for my own thoughts, i'm an atheist. i don't really have anything against any religions, i just don't believe in them. i really like the idea of karma though, and i kinda believe in reincarnation... but those are atheistic beliefs, so there! ....ya...

i'm just sick and tired of dealing with people who think that if you don't believe in god, that you are an evil-puppy-kicking-satan-worshipper-who's-life-is-very-unfullfilling! or people who think that you must really be a christian at heart, but you just don't understand or something.

if i were to pick a religion, it'd probably be ancient geek! with gods/goddesses like those, you don't get problematic questions like "if god is perfect, why do bad things happen to good people?" 'cause the gods ain't perfect! they're also more entertaining than a soap opera. plus, you get to shop around for the best diety to bribe (i mean "give offerings" to tongue.gif ) for each occation! on a scale of one to awesome, that's super great!
rickypaul
This same stuff is happening with me as i hate racism still people think bad about me.
So now to clear the misconception I am working in the field of Anti-Racism by making people aware of it.
If racial attack happens with somebody he will contact the experts as soon as possible and should try to ignore this.
Mata
Woohoo! You don't get much more of a necro-post than that on these forums. Over six years between posts!

Also:
"if i were to pick a religion, it'd probably be ancient geek!"
I suspect Jicama was in good company with that typo biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.