Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Serious Mental Illness
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
LindyLouWho
Hey I was just thinking this could be an interesting topic. I will start us off by sharing mine:
1. Agoraphobia- fear of open places ie: outside
2. Social Phobia- .. rather self explanitory I think
3. Clinical Depression- yay for medication
4. Anxiety- pretty much that I worry alot

I take Paxil and Welbutrin and they help lots but I still have things I need to do to help myself..

So who else wants to share ^.^
poppa.moo
Arachnophobia & Clinical Depression are mine. Don't take anything anymore cos i can't stand tablets. I can deal with it, honest! tongue.gif
LindyLouWho
what about the tablets bothers you??
hinsley
depression, nah thats it. got told i am skits but i dont think i am.

i dont take anything cause i dont see the point, its all placebos anyway. its all fake!

oh im paronoid aswell abot loads of things but i dont think that counts.
craziness
i dont personally, but my family has a history of bipolar people. my dad and one of my brothers are. they both were at the same time last year.........omg that was f--king hell on earth. my mom has aniexty and other things. my half brothers and i all are basicly normal.
poppa.moo
QUOTE (LindyLouWho @ Jun 17 2003, 08:06 PM)
what about the tablets bothers you??

They make me worse. Must be my metabolsim or summat. Dunno. I've tried many different ones, and they didn't work, so I had a few days 'tour' round the local mental hospital. I'm ok know, nowhere near is bad as I was, but it's always gonna be there unfortunately. biggrin.gif
Mr Fuzzy
I feel the urge here to be a bit cynical about the medical profession as it stands currently. We seem to have come to a point where itt all seems to be 'better living through chemicals' and that strikes me as a very sad thing. While there are many chemical disorders that drugs are a good treatment for there seems to have been a loss of emphasis on simply talking things through with friends. While we are told that a trip to the doctor will cure all I think that a good chat about what is on your mind with your mates is the first step. If that doesn't help then go to the doctor, but your friends know you, and generally want you to be happy. Chemicals are not always the best choice.
LindyLouWho
seem that these days people are using therapy and meds. not to mention that talking to friends is good but a counciler is able to read people and their emotions better. ummmm I am taking meds but I am also trying to work on the underlying cause of my discomfort in public situations.
Mr Fuzzy
Oh, I agree that people with training have their (very important) uses. I just worry that we're being conditioned to seek medical help before talking to people who care on a personal level.
LindyLouWho
perhaps because those who are close to you an perhaps emotionaly involved have there own issues and such
The Tortured Soul
i've been depressed, not clnical tho sad.gif so no pills, but fuck i could have dun with them!!!

i dunno wtf is wrong wit me coz i won't let ne1 examine me!!!
Righteous
I have bipolar disorder, seasonal effective disorder, social anxiety and a pretty bad Oedipus complex. Despite all these, I am able to lead a happy, healthy life with treatment and counciling. What I don't like is how the meds I take for bipolar disorder hinder my creativity. I'm thinking of one day going an entire year unmedicated for the sake of creativity. I would need someone to take care of me, though, and the last person I knew who could do that told me that we couldn't get married because I was too controlling and reminded her too much of her dad. Jeez. No wonder she bangs so many girls. Anyway, that's my messed up head. My family has a lovely history of mental illness. My mom suffered from clinical depression, my great uncle, second cousin and late great grandfather have bipolar disorder and I believe there's a schitzophrenic in my family.
poppa.moo
I can only believe in what happened to me, and that is that only you can bring yourself out of a disorder such as depression, etc. I was seeing a therapist for quite some time, and he kept going over the same things that were in my life, yet nothing helped, my family and friends helped a bit, but the only person who could help me, was me. I had to get things right in my head, and I had to sort my emotions out, and re-prioritise and re-organise my life. It took quite a while, but as I have said, I'm better than I was, thank god!
LindyLouWho
I'm glad it worked out for you Pop..... and Righteous ... are you sure you mean Oedipus Complex... I thought that didn't happen anymore
Pikasyuu
Here's my grand list :

bi-polar disorder
ADHD ( you have ADD if you LOOK at someone wrong )
schizotypal personality disorder
borderline personality disorder
dependancy personality disorder
anti-social personality disorder
clinical depression
manic depression ( wtf. I'm pretty sure they contradict eachother. stupid psychiatrists. )
histrionic personality disorder

I've taken a slew of chemicals for them since the grand age of four years, but at the moment, I'm not on anything. Besides the mood swing issues, I feel pretty ok. DPD is an issue, though.
LindyLouWho
what is histronic personality disorder?
Pikasyuu
"People with histrionic personality disorder are constant attention seekers. They need to be the center of attention all the time, often interrupting others in order to dominate the conversation. They use grandiose language to discribe everyday events and seek constant praise. They may dress provacatively or exaggerate illnesses in order to gain attention. They also tend to exaggerate friendships and relationships, believing that everyone loves them. They are often manipulative."

Your basic somatoform disorder. Think hypochondria with a wider spectrum.
jicama
well, i'm a little obsessive compulsive, but nothing serious. unfortunately, i can't be certain that i'll stay ok- paranoid schitzophrenia runs in my family and it usually doesn't show up 'til you're between 14 and 35 years... i'm 21... sad.gif is ironic to be paranoid about getting paranoid schitzophrenia? laugh.gif
LindyLouWho
dern I think it is.. yeah I have obsesive compulsive personality... I like ta count shit
Feyliya
The only one in my family with a problem is my dad. He's Schitzophrenic. So I might have inhereted it. Lucky lucky me!!

Now me, I had six distinct personalities when I was younger. I never went to psychiatrists or anything because my family thought I just had really really well developed imaginary friends. Who lived inside me. Who talked to them. Yeah, perfectly normal. I figured out I had multipal personalities years after we'd all merged back together. Or at least I think we merged back together. Anyway.... So I've got lots of neat memories of switching between personalities to play games like CandyLand and stuff. It never got lonely, that's for sure!

Nowadays I'm just depressed. But it's getting better. In fact, I think it might totally go away when I get to college. Get away from my family problems.
nordelen
so far i have'nt been diagnosed with anything, mainly because i have never had a mental check up. i'm not worried about doctors or shrinks; i'm more worried about being locked up for being insane lol!
LindyLouWho
hmm I think multi personalitys could be cool, if they were all nice
leopold
QUOTE (LindyLouWho @ Jun 18 2003, 01:11 AM)
and Righteous ... are you sure you mean Oedipus Complex... I thought that didn't happen anymore

It can, I guess. Unless mothers stop existin altogether... Either that or me friend lied...

I have arachnophobia an claustrophobia, both caused by a mother who felt teachin me to behave was done by lockin me in the cupboard under the stairs. No light, all those spiders, enclosed space... it still scares me now an the last time it happened to me was 24 years ago...

Another one I got from that an from school is the desire not to be alone. Well, alone isn't the right word... I guess I mean isolated. The thought of bein somewhere an nobody knowin or carin about my situation worries me.

I once saw a "Tales of the Unexpected" - it was some woman tryin to escape from prison. She hit on the idea of bribin the undertaker chappy to let her climb into the next coffin, an he'd dig her out. Plan goes off really well till she lights a match an discovers the undertaker is in the box with her. I can feel the hairs on my neck stickin out as I'm typin this, so ya can prolly imagine what went through me mind when I watched it... it's the only thing I've ever seen on TV that gave me nightmares, cos it preyed on every one of me darkest phobias...

No, I don't take anythin, an I've never seen a shrink. I guess it's way too late now anyways...
Sun Tsu
I have slight Hydrophobia......
Jonman
I've been Soberphobic for years. I take lager for it. Works a treat.
elf
Clinical Depression and Histrionic... >D I take no meds for it...
Feyliya
Oh, we were all nice people. We just all lived in the same body and couldn't function without each other. And the more we learned to function together, the more we grew together, until we were one person again.
WeeJ
I think all people have there problems and they can't necessaraly be diagnosed.

As far as I can tell, its not always the problems in every day life that lead to mental issues,
its how people deal with their problems.
But I'm more than likely talking outta my arse.
Feyliya
I shattered into multiples because of the abuse. I couldn't take it alone, so I became different people.
leopold
I dunno weej - I mean, I deal wi my issues pretty well on the whole... I bundle meself into lifts even though they could stop dead an I'd have a massive panic attack. Mind, that could be cos I'm a lazy devil wink.gif laugh.gif
Jaq
I had counselling by a really crappy therapist for depression when I was younger. She thought I was suicidal. Meh. I'm not depressed anymore. Also I self-mutilate.
Debaser
self-mutilation is f--king terrible. don't ask, because i've f--king been, and still go there. i have a minor form of OCD, a fear of crowds, and to some extent, a messiah complex...but don't go there...
Jaq
QUOTE (Debaser @ Jun 19 2003, 02:06 AM)
self-mutilation is f--king terrible. don't ask, because i've f--king been, and still go there. i have a minor form of OCD, a fear of crowds, and to some extent, a messiah complex...but don't go there...

self-mutilation keeps me sane. It calms me down when I can't stop my thoughts from racing. Although a coping mechanism where you hurt yourself isn't exactly what I'd call being sane...
LindyLouWho
Wow quite a range we have here, um I just want to thank yall for speakin up and sharing your stories ect with everyone.
Edward_lover1200
I might not spell this right but I have the all to well known arachnaphobia...and a phobia if needles and of going up side down...Don't ask I know I'm a freak but I don't know what they are called I just know I have them...*shudders* spiders evil.
WeeJ
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jun 19 2003, 02:39 AM)
QUOTE (Debaser @ Jun 19 2003, 02:06 AM)

self-mutilation keeps me sane. It calms me down when I can't stop my thoughts from racing. Although a coping mechanism where you hurt yourself isn't exactly what I'd call being sane...

This is not something I'd wish on anybody.

Sorry Jaq sad.gif
nordelen
oh, well if we're including arachnaphobia(sp: sider fear) i have that. and an irrational fear of being "shown up",or made to look stupid because of things i say. i also have an irrational fear of nicely breasted/bottomed women, because i cant NOT stare and get disstracted..... rolleyes.gif
Industrial Kybosh
Heh...

I come down from a depressive episode of my own to find this thread here, and this at the Wildhearts website (should be dated May 30th - "Greetings From Hospital")... It's not evey day you find out that you're surrounded by people who suffer in the same way as you, and that your life-long musical hero has many of the same problems too...

I've never been diagnosed as having any kind of disorder, but I know it's there. I know enough clinical depressives to know I number amongst them, but I've never seen the point of talking to anyone about it other than a fellow depressive. I don't want drugs, I don't need my mental state labelling - I just want a bit of understanding and patience from time to time...
MistressAlti
/me sighs

I've been avoiding this thread for the simple reason that I hate admitting to my mental problems, but I noticed InKy had posted in here, and... well... I read everything he writes in the forum, practically. And now that I'm in here, what the hell. Apparently I'm not exactly alone in this department.

I'm depressed. I've been aware of this for going on eight years now. I was the fourth grader who got caught with suicide notes in her desk. Not joking, but I sometimes desperately wish I was...

I have moments - a lot of them, really - and it's almost been labeled as a personality fault by now... There have been times where it's taken over my life entirely, just me, a desire to die, lost in wave after wave of self-hatred and self-pity and the thought that it's all hopeless anyway.

Do I need help? Maybe. Do I really want it? Not especially. I've been to a few psychiatrists. They were less than helpful, at best. Medication isn't an option. It crosses a line that I refuse to let be crossed - namely, for my sanity to become dependent on outside chemicals. It would change the way my mind works, and considering my mind is the most precious thing to me... it'd just be a no. I can't. And I won't. Not unless my quality of life drops to an intolerable level.
Skiz
I am scared of doctors but I think Im ill. I either am bouncing of the walls and cant keep still or Im in a corner crying my eyes out and hitting myself in the stomach for no apparent reason. If I do surveys about mental health they always say Im at risk of self harming or suicide and am probably suffering from manic depression. I honestly dont knwo if this is true or if Im a hypochondriac but if I get diagnosed with mental illness I get thrown off my uni course, so Ill think Ill just keep going for the time being.
MAtt
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jun 19 2003, 11:10 AM)
/me sighs

I've been avoiding this thread for the simple reason that I hate admitting to my mental problems, but I noticed InKy had posted in here, and... well... I read everything he writes in the forum, practically. And now that I'm in here, what the hell. Apparently I'm not exactly alone in this department.

I'm depressed. I've been aware of this for going on eight years now. I was the fourth grader who got caught with suicide notes in her desk. Not joking, but I sometimes desperately wish I was...

I have moments - a lot of them, really - and it's almost been labeled as a personality fault by now... There have been times where it's taken over my life entirely, just me, a desire to die, lost in wave after wave of self-hatred and self-pity and the thought that it's all hopeless anyway.

Do I need help? Maybe. Do I really want it? Not especially. I've been to a few psychiatrists. They were less than helpful, at best. Medication isn't an option. It crosses a line that I refuse to let be crossed - namely, for my sanity to become dependent on outside chemicals. It would change the way my mind works, and considering my mind is the most precious thing to me... it'd just be a no. I can't. And I won't. Not unless my quality of life drops to an intolerable level.

first off Missy try and get some help cuz you should not have to feel depressed. Neither should anyone else. I, luckily, have no illness. I was evaluated for adhd by my 3rd grade teacher and i was bordering so i guess i am borderline adhd. I just wish i oculd give everyone a hug so that they would feel better about themselves and feel better in general. by good friend told me she was depressed and had tried to commit sucide in the past. I told her to get some help cuz that is the way to become better. none of this "i don't need it crap" you need help and if you are commited to help yourself you can become better. I guess this jsut touched on a nerve but i just wish that....even the noobs i don' know.... could just be happy. i am not going to proof this and i am not going to take back what i said... get help and feel better there, please do cuz even if i don't know you i still care. this goes for everyone
talking to faeries
I don't really have any serious problems..I get depressed sometimes like everyone does once in a while, but I try to get over it. I'm afraid of situations that I can't handle (but aren't most people)

I'm really sorry for anyone whos suffering, I've known a few people who are seriously depressed and it's not nice at all....I feel for you all
Edward_lover1200
I suffer from really bad depression.
ravein
if you have problems balancing things, I would suggest St. Johns Wart. It is a herb that helps with chemical imbalance/ mild depression. You can get it at any health food store. It really does work, I refuse to take chemical medication for mental disorders.. just due to the fact that it makes everything okay.. my hair is on fire.. it is okay... my dog died.. it is okay... it is natural to have ups and downs.. it is the EXTREME ups and downs that are the problem.. I'm zero to beotch in 2 seconds... then beotch to happy in 2 seconds... when I feel a dark week coming on I just start taking those.. you can even get a patch now. Just a idea smile.gif
Mr Fuzzy
Good call there. I'd forgotten about the stuff, but now you've brought it up, I have seen people have some success with it.
craziness
QUOTE (Skiz @ Jun 19 2003, 02:14 PM)
I am scared of doctors but I think Im ill. I either am bouncing of the walls and cant keep still or Im in a corner crying my eyes out and hitting myself in the stomach for no apparent reason. If I do surveys about mental health they always say Im at risk of self harming or suicide and am probably suffering from manic depression. I honestly dont knwo if this is true or if Im a hypochondriac but if I get diagnosed with mental illness I get thrown off my uni course, so Ill think Ill just keep going for the time being.

i dont want to diagnose you because i dont know you that well at all, and i have read about 3 of your posts, but from that one alone i think you might be biploar.
hinsley
hey shouldnt this be in Issues?
Pikasyuu
Phobias, huh? The only 'un I have is pyrophobia. It was really, really bad when I was younger, but now it's just turned into an OCD thing where I check outlets and any other electronical device around several times through the night. =P I've come a long way, yay!
LindyLouWho
wow yall make my problems seem pretty tame, I just want to make a coment about the meds, they arent designed to make everything ok.... or to make you high or to mess with your head. they are supposed to balance out any chemical problems in your head. The meds I take sure dont make everything ok, I still get sad and mad and pissy and everything else, it helps me be less sad though and not cry everyday, and it lets me go outside sometimes as opposed to getting out maybe 30 times in a year. so in my case at least yay for paxil ^.^

as to the placement of this in daily life I felt that was appropriate because if you have these kinds of problems they are very much something you face and deal with everyday... well thats it yeah.. thanks much to all who have shared and given good wishes
wolfbane
I'm with MissyA on the not wanting to really do anything like take meds because it would alter the way that I think, and I don't want that. My mind is the most important thing I have, and without it I don't know what I'd do. Therefore it stands to reason that I'm not going to do anything to jeopardise it. I'm also with Jaq on the SI (self injury) thing - I've been doing it for years, and yes it keeps me sane. I don't know where I'd be now without it.

As for what I have, well I SI, am clinically depressed - have been depressed since as long as I can remember (felt suicidal from about the age of 12), have borderline personality disorder and am possibly bi-polar. I have minor paranoid tendencies and what could be termed a self-loathing disorder. All in all a fun bunch of stuff, though I do not want to be put on meds because of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.