Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK Mata Meet
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
leopold
Okay, so we kinda set a date of September 6th... but where do we go?

I personally think Winchester (our spiritual home) or Brum (cos it's somewhere in the middle). I put Manc up there too cos I know it was first mentioned, but I dun think it's fair cos I'm prolly in the best position to travel out of everyone...

So, let's pick a venue an do this!

Oh, an I'll be takin along me digital camera so I can get loads o piccies of everyone! biggrin.gif
cheese is funny
can i vote? biggrin.gif
leopold
Erm... only if yer plannin on bein in the UK that weekend... Otherwise there's no point, you'll only muss up the result.

Oh yeah, vote but also post. I'm not gonna count votes if no post is made. Otherwise everyone's gonna get dragged to the wrong place...
WeeJ
Birmingham would be a LOT easier being as most trains go directly to New Street Station (for thos of us who don't drive) So I voted B'ham.

And now I'm off to bed. Night my lovelies
Sir Psycho Sexy
I'm not fussed so i nulled my vote, i can go pretty much anywhere, though somewhere central to all of us might be good
Oni Usagi
Yes, i may be a little off topic.
Okay way off topic.
But it's been like months since I've seen SPS.
So
Hi biggrin.gif .
WeeJ
/me chants

Birmingham! Birmingham! Birmingham!
Mr Fuzzy
Well, I put Winchester being as I live there, but depending on who is likely to want to come from where Birmingham is pretty simple to get to from just about anywhere.
WeeJ
So who else voted Winchester???
Mata
Well, I've voted Winchester because, well... I live here and that means it's _really_ easy to get to for me.

Birmingham and Manchester are also pretty easy, Birmingham would be the second choice really since it's closer.

I can travel by train without too much trouble and if Brum is easiest for everyone else then that's fine by me too.

I will say this though: Winchester is really pretty and a lovely place to visit, I'm not so sure if you can say the same about Brum (although it does have a very grand square and a superb city gallery).
Mr Fuzzy
Also Winchester is compact and therefore simple to find misplaced forum bods in...
WeeJ
But probably hard to find in the first place unsure.gif
Mr Fuzzy
Not really - its on one of the main train lines, and virtually all of the trains going through stop here.
Pixelgoth
Personally Manchester was best for me but if I had to choose then I'd say Birmingham as a second choice. I can't make it to Winchester from Sheffield that weekend I'm afraid sad.gif

Sam
x
Mata
Does anyone know Brum well enough to organise us all once we get there?
WeeJ
Drarok and I know our way around pretty well. I know a great pub/bar that's quiet and yet groovy enough for us all to hang out (minors don't drink of course) called Scruffy Murphys and there's also lots of shops if the group want to split and go shopping and then arrange to meet later.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 10 2003, 01:10 PM)
Drarok and I know our way around pretty well. I know a great pub/bar that's quiet and yet groovy enough for us all to hang out (minors don't drink of course) called Scruffy Murphys and there's also lots of shops if the group want to split and go shopping and then arrange to meet later.

Well I know Brum very well as I lived there for 4 years (3 of which were while I was at Uni). I love the place and WeeJ is right the shopping is excellent and so is Scruffy's (I remember it now!!). I have got people I can stay with so Birmingham is cool by me.

Sam
x
WeeJ
Sam and I could be your tour guides!!!! laugh.gif

Anyway, Its pretty easy to find your way around Birmingham and to be simple...we could meet at new street as there's lots of cafe's where we can all wait for each other. We'de need some sort of sign to indicate to people that 'this is the Matazone' group.

Birmingham also probably means not as many people will have to find over night accomodation
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 10 2003, 01:29 PM)
Sam and I could be your tour guides!!!! laugh.gif

We'de need some sort of sign to indicate to people that 'this is the Matazone' group.

We could all wear pink carnations and carry a couple of the Birmingham Mail!! biggrin.gif

Sam
x
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Jul 10 2003, 01:46 PM)
We could all wear pink carnations and carry a couple of the Birmingham Mail!! biggrin.gif

Sam
x

Sorry that was meant to say 'copy' and not 'couple'! You can tell I've only got one thing on my mind!! wink.gif

Sam
x
WeeJ
::BUMP::

More people should come!
Mingtea
Birmingham, it's the center of every transport system ever.
kidvicious2punk
um...im not going but manchester looks really pretty...

hey guys..can we just screw california and go there?
we'll swim the other way around wink.gif

grrr....i want to go to mexico... dry.gif
SilverStormDragon
*cough Norwich cough* Yeah, no one can get there, but it's easy for me! lol
Is that a Sat or Sun? Cause that would be marvellous. There's no chance of me going, but still! *stupid bloody exams and coursework and school*
WeeJ
6th September is on a Saturday
SilverStormDragon
Of course, once a place has been decided and I happen to be shopping there on the 6th, then the meeting place needs to be somewhere everyone can get to. Easily.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Oni Usagi @ Jul 10 2003, 05:46 AM)
Yes, i may be a little off topic.
Okay way off topic.
But it's been like months since I've seen SPS.
So
Hi biggrin.gif .

havn't seen you in a while either so, hi, clearly move in different circles (still nice to be remembered biggrin.gif)

aaand back on topic...are we definatly getting some sort of B&B we could like take one over tongue.gif
CovertYawn
Bah, none of those places are easy for me to get to sad.gif
Mr Fuzzy
That's because you live in a fridge isn't it?

Admit it! You are a Petit Filous! laugh.gif
Industrial Kybosh
I voted Manchester like the big evil bastard that i am, but Brum gets my close-second vote.

Seems to me that Brum is the way forward. Let it be so!
CovertYawn
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jul 10 2003, 11:44 PM)

Admit it! You are a Petit Filous! laugh.gif

No! No its not true! not I tell you! And I'm in no way a crunch corner either!
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (CovertYawn @ Jul 11 2003, 12:24 AM)
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jul 10 2003, 11:44 PM)

Admit it! You are a Petit Filous!  laugh.gif

No! No its not true! not I tell you! And I'm in no way a crunch corner either!

/me get out ludacrisly large spoon

you look more like a fruit corner to me biggrin.gif
Mata
Right, being as I seem to be the decisive person around here, I do now proclaim that the first Mata Meet will be in *drum roll*

Winchester!

Only kidding, it'll be in Birmingham.

Anyone with a bit of time on their hands fancy doing some research into B&Bs?
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 11 2003, 11:08 AM)
Anyone with a bit of time on their hands fancy doing some research into B&Bs?

Don't have much spare time I'm afraid and I'm not sure what the laws are regarding BBQ's in parks but you can get those disposable ones from B&Q and places like that. We used one the other day in a park in Sheffield and it was rather good (if you like burnt food that is!) laugh.gif

Personally I think we can't guarantee good whether in September (or any time for that fact) and therefore we should go to California......only joking but it would be nice.

BBQ is a good idea but not necessarily a practical one in Brum. Perhaps just a drinking sess would be best?

What do people think?

Sam
x

P.S.

I know we are meeting in Brum but just out of curiousity where abouts IS Winchester anyhoo? smile.gif
WeeJ
I think we're probably going to be meeting somewhere easily accessable and then moving on to a drinkery...

Does anyone have any objections at arranging for everyone to meet in the Italien cafe in Birmingham's New Street Station??? Its so glaringly obvious that no one will miss it.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 11 2003, 01:53 PM)
I think we're probably going to be meeting somewhere easily accessable and then moving on to a drinkery...

Does anyone have any objections at arranging for everyone to meet in the Italien cafe in Birmingham's New Street Station??? Its so glaringly obvious that no one will miss it.

Er where is it again? Is it upstairs in the shopping centre or on the concourse bit? It's been a while since I've been to New Street. Incidentally it's where I met my boyfriend for the first time wub.gif

Sam
x
WeeJ
As you get off whatever train...you have no choice but to go upstairs where there is only one exit. the italien cafe is right opposite that exit. You'de have to have literally no eyes in your head to miss it ohmy.gif
LoLo
I was making this suggestion to Leo for your guy's meet.

Basically what it consists of is, if you don't have a Matazone shirt, well you'll need to buy one. Think of it. You're all trying to meet up in a busy public place, what's the best way to find eachother? All wear a matazone shirt, because we all know what they look like, and because it's in support of this site. Oh and if you do own one, buy another one, so your's can be brand new for your meet.

I wish I could go, but alas I don't think I could make the swim. lol
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (LoLo @ Jul 11 2003, 03:26 PM)
I was making this suggestion to Leo for your guy's meet.

Basically what it consists of is, if you don't have a Matazone shirt, well you'll need to buy one. Think of it. You're all trying to meet up in a busy public place, what's the best way to find eachother? All wear a matazone shirt, because we all know what they look like, and because it's in support of this site. Oh and if you do own one, buy another one, so your's can be brand new for your meet.

I wish I could go, but alas I don't think I could make the swim. lol

Well quite frankly I'm disappointed! You know we'd all swim to you if we the meet was there.....er.... wink.gif

Good idea though. I have a t-shirt but I am thinking of purchasing another, possibly, maybe, if my finances will allow it....er...maybe not sad.gif Still I only got it a few weeks ago so it's still all new 'looking' so I guess that'll have to do! smile.gif

Sam
x
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 11 2003, 02:55 PM)
As you get off whatever train...you have no choice but to go upstairs where there is only one exit. the italien cafe is right opposite that exit. You'de have to have literally no eyes in your head to miss it ohmy.gif

*bump* Oww! *bump* Hey! Who put that cafe there?!?

Sorry.....couldn't resist that one wink.gif

Sam
x
Mata
BBQ is a good idea but not necessarily a practical one in Brum.

It's just as well I was asking if anyone had any time to find numbers of B&Bs then, not about regulations to do with BBQs!

There will most likely be a few people (including myself) who want to stay in Birmingham so could someone have a search around and find the city council's information website? They normally have listings of B&Bs in there.
WeeJ
I'll phone the Birmingham Council and ask them to send some information...failing that, the interweb shall provide laugh.gif

(luckily for me, Brum is only a 20 min train ride from Tamworth biggrin.gif )
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Jul 11 2003, 04:21 PM)
It's just as well I was asking if anyone had any time to find numbers of B&Bs then, not about regulations to do with BBQs!

Soorrreeeeeeeeeyy biggrin.gif My bad!

Just goes to show that I don't actually pay any attention to authority figures!! biggrin.gif

Must also be that I had two BBQ's last weekend and I've overdosed on them.

B&B's....er.....try Smoothound. Not sure what their web address is though. They usually have some cheap places. I'm hoping to stay with an old work mate if I can get hold of him or I'll be looking for B&B's too. Perhaps we should all stay in the same place or area?

Sam
x
WeeJ
Ok...I can't phone it now as I'm still at work and it will be closed when I get home...so if someone (British peep obviously. expensive from America laugh.gif ) could phone this number and get some info sent to them then we'll be sorted...

Birmingham Tourist Information: 0870 5992244
Industrial Kybosh
Bah. I want a BBQ now...

The idea of meeting in an Italian caff that is easy to find, however, is a worthy second-best. Hoorah for all things Italian-and-easily-locatable!

Also hoorah for the idea of wearing Matazone T-shirts - verrily twas an Idea I was going to suggest meself. No way we'd miss each other then...

So... it's practically all sorted then... date, location...

Would now be a good time to let forth a mighty W00T!?
WeeJ
Now we just need a Definate list of who's coming...

So...

Me and Drarok...
Industrial Kybosh
I'll be there if I can - a lot can change in a couple of months, but I'm sure I'll be able to sneak away for at least an afternoon...
gary
Pixiegoth I'm from sheffield I can give you a lift to where ever its gunna be, however I have no idea where winchester is
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (gary @ Jul 11 2003, 04:49 PM)
Pixiegoth I'm from sheffield I can give you a lift to where ever its gunna be, however I have no idea where winchester is

Thanks Gary but it's...er...in Birmingham now! smile.gif Also I'm coming along with my bloke so he can drive (or indeed so can I!) We will probably be staying in Northfield if I can get hold of my old work mate otherwise perhaps people would like to check this out;

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/birmingh.html

Am I good or am I good! laugh.gif

Sam
x
gary
cool smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.