Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK Mata Meet
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Mata
Shopping on a Saturday in a just opened shopping complex. It sounds rather hellish...
WeeJ
Well, yes...but think of all the lovely stuff that none of us can afford wink.gif

I'm still wondering where we're going to be able to go for lunch without booking. I think we should phone up somewhere on the 5th and book a table or else we're going to all have to sit seperatly when we eat.

Addition - just found this link pizza hut in New Street

anyone against pizza hut for lunch?
Mata
I always have space for pizza. Even after I've just eaten pizza. I can normally squeeze in kebabs too.
WeeJ
No, I don't do kebabs. there's something very disconcerting about meat that spins round and round.

So...should I phone up Pizza hut and enquire?
Mata
I don't think they let people book but by all means give it a try.

You should never trust kebab meat, you never know what the elephant stood in.
WeeJ
Mata, thats all kinds of grim ... laugh.gif

If I can't book at Pizza Hut shall we just wait and see what's available when we get to Brum?
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Aug 23 2003, 10:13 PM)
Well, this afternoon I had a brief taster of how great the Meet is going to be...

It transpired that our dear friend Pixiegoth was round my neck of the woods visiting her fella, and with an alarming swiftness of thought I decided that it would be a spiffy idea for us to meet for a quick bevvy at one of the many fine hostelries in Warringtonia.

And so we did - myself (bedecked in a Snaffy T-shirt), her (with an equally fabulous LGG top), her fella, and a charming friend of theirs.

Let me tell you - WeeJ is a lucky woman to have landed herself such a fabulous e-wife. A natural wit, a brilliant conversationalist, and so far removed from the Ugly Tree as to find herself in the bracket market Actually Rather Gorgeous.

I cannae wait for the meet, ladies and gents...

*blushes furiously*

Ah well you must have either had beer goggles or met my evil, but extremely gorgeous, sister!! laugh.gif You're not so bad yourself! Perhaps we should set up a Mutual Appreciation Society! laugh.gif

Thanks InKy! I have to say that I enjoyed myself muchly! Especially because I kept beating you at pool (even if it was because you kept potting the black!). 'Porters' rocks and I will no doubt be going back there. It'll be a shame when you move away sad.gif

Let's hope the Brum meet is half as much fun and we'll be larfffin'! wink.gif

I think Pizza Hut is a sterling choice and, if we can't get in, we'll just find a pub with some grub or another cafe of choice. There is always McDonalds? unsure.gif

Sam
x
WeeJ
Greasy spoon!

i know you come from sheffield Sam, but is your accent from Sheffield too?
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 26 2003, 01:43 PM)
Greasy spoon!

i know you come from sheffield Sam, but is your accent from Sheffield too?

Er nope, it's an Essex accent. Well it's sort of an Essex accent. I moved away from Essex almost 10 years ago but I've still got the Southern twang. I've got a kinda generic accent now that seems to adopt itself to wherever I am. Sometimes I a little bit northern, sometimes Brummy (you'll witness this in a couple of weeks and no doubt laugh at me!) and sometimes a little bit Eeeeeeesseeeeexxx wink.gif
WeeJ
Omg...Sam told me I have a 'brummy twang' ohmy.gif

InKy sounded kinda Brummy...he had a really funny laugh smile.gif tongue.gif

So...who eventually won at pool?
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 26 2003, 01:48 PM)

Me I think as InKy kept potting the black tongue.gif It actually turned into a running joke he did it that often! laugh.gif
WeeJ
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Aug 26 2003, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 26 2003, 01:48 PM)

Me I think as InKy kept potting the black tongue.gif It actually turned into a running joke he did it that often! laugh.gif

Oh...he shall be mocked tongue.gif I probably do better than him considering I never pot anything laugh.gif laugh.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 26 2003, 01:52 PM)
Oh...he shall be mocked tongue.gif I probably do better than him considering I never pot anything laugh.gif laugh.gif

Oh yes he will!

It was just comedy biggrin.gif He was potting everything and then for some reason the black just fell in! I hadn't even had a go!! smile.gif I gave him a run for his money with the other game though and he did beat me once. I think, however, the final score was 2 to me and 1 to InKy. I may be wrong unsure.gif

Sam
x
leopold
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 26 2003, 09:13 AM)
Anyone left who still needs to book a hotel? /me giggles at Leo
Its less than two weeks away now ohmy.gif

EEEK!!!!

I'd best get me skates on then! But I'm so crap I dun really wanna stop in a hotel where nobody else is stoppin, so if anyone can point me at somewhere I'll get summat booked.

As far as I know, commie is stoppin in the Quality Hotel on Hagley Road, an pixie is stoppin in Tamworth... yes?
WeeJ
QUOTE (leopold @ Aug 26 2003, 05:41 PM)
an pixie is stoppin in Tamworth... yes?

Nope. She's booked a hotel in Brum with Ed. Not sure where though.
Mingtea
btw i have a t-shirt that says "Mingtea" even bigger now.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
WeeJ
and I know he'll wear it for a fact ohmy.gif
leopold
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Aug 17 2003, 09:39 PM)
The Quality Hotel is on Hagley Road. I have no idea where that is, in relation to either train stations or where we're meeting. Anyone know where I can get a street map of Birmingham?

Reet then commie, old bean... I've requested a room at the same hotel as you, so if I can get in, at least ya won't get lost on yer own laugh.gif

I checked out Streetmap.co.uk and I've got a pretty good map here. Open this and I'll point ya in the right direction!

Dead centre of the map is New Street station. There's a road marked in purple, just up an to the left of it, which runs down an left past Ladywood, an comes to a roundabout marked "Fiveways". That road is Broad Street. If ya keep followin it to the left, that's Hagley Road (A456) If memory serves, the hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk up there.

If anyone's interested in how I know this, it's a boring story so I'm not tellin! laugh.gif
WeeJ
Forgot to phone Pizza Hut. I'll do it tonight.

(Someone remind me!)
WeeJ
The pinned thread about people's details has got kinda confusing with people cancelling unsure.gif
So far....the following people are going for definate:

Leopold!
Mata
WeeJ
Drarok (my bf...aka Mat)
Sps
Mingtea
InKy
Pixiegoth
Ed (Pixiegoth's other half)
Queenie
Mr Fuzzy
Debaser (who's currently swanning about in Turkey)
Commie and finally
Over Friendly Kitten.

I'm sure there were more than that at one point unsure.gif
porcelainwarrior
i think the most was 15 then me and wolfbane dropped out.

you missed mata off the list though...
WeeJ
So I did. Thanks Porce smile.gif
WeeJ
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Aug 27 2003, 11:58 AM)
i think the most was 15 then me and wolfbane dropped out.

And Poppa.moo
Pixelgoth
Just to let you all know, if people are staying at The Hagley Court Hotel or indeed any other hotel on the Hagley Road do let me know either by PM or posting here. That way we can share taxis or information about bus routes in and out of the city.

It is highly likely that Ed and me will drop off the car at the hotel and then get a bus into town to meet you lot at New Street. I can't remember what number buses run along Hagley Road but most if not all will be going into town if you get on the right side of the road biggrin.gif I know my way around Birmingham so we shouldn't get lost *crosses fingers, touches wood, etc* smile.gif

REALLY looking forward to it all now smile.gif

By the way people, when are we sorting out who gets mobile numbers??? unsure.gif
WeeJ
I think people have just swapped with everyone else so far. I have yours, Debaser's, Inky's and Leo's and I also gave mine to Commie and Mata. I think everyone should have a contact with someone in the group who knows their way around Brum in case they get lost.

Is there actually anyone else other than me and sam who knows their way around Brum?
Mingtea
Hi
WeeJ
QUOTE (Mingtea @ Aug 27 2003, 01:44 PM)
Hi

Oh...I forgot you and Queenie will be with us. Oops wink.gif
Mata
I think Mr Fuzzy will be bringing along his ladyfriend Ciara (also referred to as Griblet).
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 27 2003, 04:16 PM)
I think Mr Fuzzy will be bringing along his ladyfriend Ciara (also referred to as Griblet).

Basically unless you're names down you're not coming in......er......hang on.....sorry biggrin.gif What I mean is that you need to fill on the confirmation thread and then we will be expecting you unless you tell one or more of us otherwise. Is that OK with everyone else?

Perhaps someone should take a list of attendees and then we won't leave the cafe without missing people?
WeeJ
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Aug 27 2003, 04:33 PM)
Perhaps someone should take a list of attendees and then we won't leave the cafe without missing people?

Already done that.

The pinned thread about people's details has got kinda confusing with people cancelling
So far....the following people are going for definate:

Leopold!
Mata
WeeJ
Drarok (my bf...aka Mat)
Sps
Mingtea
InKy
Pixiegoth
Ed (Pixiegoth's other half)
Queenie
Mr Fuzzy
Debaser (who's currently swanning about in Turkey)
Commie and finally
Over Friendly Kitten.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 27 2003, 04:44 PM)

Already done that.

I meant someone should take a list to Brum smile.gif Kinda like a register and we can do a roll call and you can shout "Here Miss" or "Here Sir" laugh.gif
WeeJ
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Aug 27 2003, 04:49 PM)
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 27 2003, 04:44 PM)

Already done that.

I meant someone should take a list to Brum smile.gif Kinda like a register and we can do a roll call and you can shout "Here Miss" or "Here Sir" laugh.gif

aah. That would make sense.
leopold
Oi! Any danger o puttin me on that list there, weej?? Honestly, I've booked me tickets an me hotel room at the Quality Hotel (on Hagley Road, pixie!) has been confirmed... an people have me number as well...

*snif*

Nice to see how remembered I am... sad.gif

Oh yeah... I've swapped numbers wi weej, inky an mata... if anyone else wants/needs it, jus PM me...
WeeJ
QUOTE (leopold @ Aug 28 2003, 07:13 AM)
Oi!  Any danger o puttin me on that list there, weej??  Honestly, I've booked me tickets an me hotel room at the Quality Hotel (on Hagley Road, pixie!) has been confirmed...  an people have me number as well...

*snif*

Nice to see how remembered I am...  sad.gif

BUGGER!!!!

Sorry Leo. I hadn't forgotten you. I'd just mislaid your name.

unsure.gif

Oh...and Overfriendly kitten...i'm gonne PM/email you to check your still coming and to make sure you get hold of someone's mobile number so no ones lost.
Mata
Wooo!

A week and a half!

*bounce bounce bounce*
WeeJ
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's a tad over excited laugh.gif
Pixelgoth
I'm positively wetting myself I'm that excited biggrin.gif

Confirmed my hotel today and the guy was less than helpful sad.gif He basically said that the rate I had was ludicrous (or a word to that effect) and that there must have been a glitch. What I want to know now is that if I have a confirmation email that says I have a room booked for 39.50 is he legally obliged to charge me that or can he thwap another 50 on top if he feels like it dry.gif

I've been looking at other hotels and I'm thinking I might just cancel and go elsewhere in Brum? unsure.gif
WeeJ
Just phoned wetherspoons on Corporation Street. They don't take bookings on a Staurday as its their busiest day. I think we may have a problem finding somewhere to eat unsure.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 28 2003, 12:41 PM)
Just phoned wetherspoons on Corporation Street. They don't take bookings on a Staurday as its their busiest day. I think we may have a problem finding somewhere to eat unsure.gif

Don't be daft tongue.gif We won't have a problem at all. Birmingham.....Saturday.....lunch time.......er......

If we go to a pub for lunch then they won't take bookings but I'm sure we'll be able to get somewhere. It's not like they won't cater for a rush.

Don't worry babe! You won't starve biggrin.gif
WeeJ
Good news. Just phoned the Pizza hut but New Street Station and they take large bookings such as oursleves. I haven't booked anything yet as I need to get details of what time to book and exactly how many people will be there and if we can sort out one big set menu or something (that may work out cheaper for us all)
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Aug 28 2003, 12:47 PM)
Good news. Just phoned the Pizza hut but New Street Station and they take large bookings such as oursleves. I haven't booked anything yet as I need to get details of what time to book and exactly how many people will be there and if we can sort out one big set menu or something (that may work out cheaper for us all)

I say book it for 2pm, for the largest number we have had confirmed so far (14?) and that way if people can't make it we'll just have spare chairs. If more than the actual number turn up then I'm sure something can be sorted smile.gif

As far as menus go, unless they want us to book in advance I say let's not. You never want what you've actually ordered two weeks beforehand when you sit down to eat it sad.gif
WeeJ
Gonna book the table as soon as I get the say so from Mata. I think we're booking the table for about 2.15 in case of any late trains/stragglers although any that are very late can always meet us at the restaurant (its right next to the station.)
Pixelgoth
All sounds A OK to me biggrin.gif I'll be there with bells on wink.gif
WeeJ
All done. Its booked in my name for 14 people and they want me to phone if anyone else is coming.

I'm done for the day.
Debaser
ok, i have now stopped swanning around in turkey, so...

i need to get my arse back to birmingham new street at about 7pm (damn parents/train timetables etc.), so...if that's not too hard to arrange...or someone just kick me in the right direction, that'd do...
WeeJ
QUOTE (Debaser @ Aug 29 2003, 11:15 AM)
ok, i have now stopped swanning around in turkey, so...

i need to get my arse back to birmingham new street at about 7pm (damn parents/train timetables etc.), so...if that's not too hard to arrange...or someone just kick me in the right direction, that'd do...

No problem. We'll probably be heading back about the same time being as we can't stay out late clubbing because of the crappy trains to Tamworth dry.gif

Hang on!?!? BUSSES!! There's a bus that goes between Tamworth and B'ham! Better check that out biggrin.gif
CommieBastard
Meaning the Tamworth crew will be able to party with us? W00t!
WeeJ
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Aug 29 2003, 11:44 AM)
Meaning the Tamworth crew will be able to party with us? W00t!

That being two of us. Me and my boyfriend, Mat.
Mingtea was gonna stop at mine in Tamworth but we were worried about Queenie going on the train on her own at night so he's traveling back with her.

Addition - Commie had a look for me. The trains run later than the busses sad.gif
Pixelgoth
Arse biscuits sad.gif

We'll just have to get drunk in Birmingham before 7pm then! tongue.gif
Industrial Kybosh
I was under the impression that that was the plan anyway... wink.gif

I may have to jet off about that time too. But maybe not. I'll just have to see on the day. I'll still be there for a good few hours, though, so plenty of time to drink booze and regain some pool-based self-respect.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.