Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skippy Kangaroo: How To Do Something Similar
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Theremin
Basically I want to make a flash like Skippy the Goth Kangaroo. Import images and do simple animation with it. But when I edit the image in Photoshop and import I get the white background with it. I've tried deleting the background layer and saving as both Jpg and the photoshop's file type, but no luck. So how do I go about using real pictures edited out into Flash movies? Masks?
leopold
As someone who's a bit green when it comes ta this stuff, I save the file as a GIF and set the transparency layer to the background colour. Always works fer me, even though the GIF format buggers up the colours a smidgeon.
Mata
Yep, Leo's going in the right direction here.

When you 'save for web' in P'shop you can choose different file types. Because of the way .jpg compression works it has no ability for transparent sections so anything that looks see-through gets filled in with white.

Select as your saving file type either .gif or .png.

.gif files are smaller and you can adjust the size easily by using more or less colours but (and this is important in P'shop) it has no way of saving alpha values, ie. if a pixel is only semi-transparent but not fully it will seem like that pixel has a white background behind it, which can leave you with ugly looking white dots around the image. So... If you save as a .gif file open the .gif image and with a 1x1 pixel rubber tool at 100% pressure go around the outside of the image and erase these dots.

.png files are great but they are larger in size, therefore they take longer to load once you've got your animation made. Flash does have some very good compression techniques for images though so I will tend to go for PNG-24 when I'm only going to be using a few images in an animation (I used them for everything in the Kitten Ace of Spades animation) because they are very high quality. The .png format saves alpha values in a way that Flash can use, so you can have semi-transparent sections of pictures that will remain semi-transparent when you import them into Flash.

One thing to bear in mind when using anything to do with mid-range alpha values (ie. things that you can partially see-through) is that it takes a lot of processor power to keep a high frame rate. If you have a complicated semi-see-through image it can very quickly mean that you animation becomes very jerky.

If you try to save and it still doesn't work then tick the 'preserve transparency' box in the 'save for web' box.

Another thing that you may notice with both .png and .gif files is that when they are in front of darker backgrounds you tend to get a paler rectangle the size of the image around the bits of the pic that you wanted people to see. This can be improved significantly with Flash. What you do is you make the image a new graphic and then in Flash put a layer above it. Set the layer property to 'Mask' (right-click>Mask) then unlock both layers and in the mask layer paint over the bits you want to be visible. Now when you use this graphic you won't have the pale filled rectangle. Occasionally you will still be able to see the edges of the rectangle still but it's a lot less noticeable and I haven't worked out a way around that yet!

'Hope this helps!

Mata
Theremin
Holy crap the PNG file thing worked! My friend used PNG for his/our website and I always thought that it was a waste of file size cause it did nothing. Now I know. Thanks a whole hell of a lot.
Mata
No problem. .GIF files are good too because they are quite small in size but like I say, they can only do things that are totally clear rather than semi-opaque.

'Glad to be of help. Post the URL on here when you get something online!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.