Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Signature Sizes
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
MistressAlti
Look, people, the sigs are obnoxiously big. The pictures plus the paragraphs of text? Yeah. Too much. Seriously. Especially since there seems to be so many one-line posts. The threads are all signature and no content.

This is way out of hand.

So since I can't force you all into quality posting, I'm starting a sig-shortening campaign.

Mata said once... or maybe I've paraphrased... I don't care...

Post Size > Avatar Size > Signature Size

Either start sig-slicing, or I'll start doing it for you.

Have a lovely day.
reaper
I think people would gladly do what you ask Missy and I would like to help anyway I can. I understand what you mean about sigs being to long. I was reminded of this by Mata but I am sure people would be willing to shorten there sigs. I hope my sig is not to big and if it is just let me know.
MistressAlti
Here we go.

Test to determine whether your sig is too big.

1. Press the button on your keyboard that says "Print Screen". It should be near the right hand corner of the board.

2. Open Paint.

3. Press "Paste" in the "Edit" Menu.

4. Cut out everything but your sig in the picture.

5. Save the picture.

6. See how many pixels tall your picture is. If it's over 100, then it's too big.

Any questions?
CommieBastard
Here's a quicker way. Right-click on your picture. Click "Properties". Look at "Dimensions". It takes the form: a x b. B is the number of pixels high.

Edit: Oh wait...whole sig...sorry. Me trying to be a smartarse again.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Aug 21 2003, 06:20 PM)
Here's a quicker way. Right-click on your picture. Click "Properties". Look at "Dimensions". It takes the form: a x b. B is the number of pixels high.

Edit: Oh wait...whole sig...sorry. Me trying to be a smartarse again.

S'okay. That sort of thing would work if all you had was a picture. But in most cases, that's not true, therefore giving the reason for the above-stated method.
Weary Traveler
can I still keep just the sig image? just the image its self is 150 x 400 pixels.. I don't mind getting rid of the text but can I keep the image?
MistressAlti
Honestly? 150 pixels is too big for ANYTHING on this forum.

Pictures are easily resized. If you need help doing so, ask.
Weary Traveler
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Aug 21 2003, 07:27 PM)
Honestly? 150 pixels is too big for ANYTHING on this forum.

Pictures are easily resized. If you need help doing so, ask.

I know how to do it I just don't really want too.. *sighs* but if you insist then I'll go resize it....
gerbilfromhell
jus comin in ta offer a suggestion on sig length tesin:

there is a space alloted for sigs that gets bigger if yer sig/post is too long. if you've got a 1-3 line post and the space gets bigger shorten your sig

now on to some easy sig shortening tips (got me outa many a sig-slicing campaign smile.gif)

1.) make the size small. size 0 is what i use, and it's small while still bein perfectly readable. -1 is reasonable, -2 is pretty hard to read, -3 ya need to get yer face right up to yer screen ta read it, -4 ya need like 20-20 vision or really good glasses, -5 thru -7 don't even bother if ya want yer sig ta be read.
2.) don't put spaces between lines or even sections of yer sig
3.) use smaller words, or use e-speak (ex.: you=u whatever= w/e etc. etc.)
4.) get rid of all of it, put it on yer website/profile, and post a link ta that in yer sig

hope that helps biggrin.gif
Rattgirl
.....I keep editing text down more and more but I'm afraid it's still too big...is it?
Weary Traveler
QUOTE (Goddess of Wheee @ Aug 21 2003, 08:30 PM)
.....I keep editing text down more and more but I'm afraid it's still too big...is it?

yeah.... my sig is exactly 100 pixels... use that for a comarision
Sarah the Spider
I got rid of a lot of text, but I really like my Lloyd tag...and since it took a while to make for some reason, is my sig alright? *crosses fingers*

I'll slice my tag though if it is still too much... sad.gif
Rattgirl
There.....hopefully this is good? if not well....doggonit it's close enough right?
Edward_lover1200
is mine too Big ?
gerbilfromhell
technically it's SLIGHTLY too big, but honestly i wouldn't worry about it
kidvicious2punk
what about mine?
gerbilfromhell
tis fine, notice that there's space between your sig and the end of the box
Feyliya
Methinks mine should be ok.
MistressAlti
Gerbs, your signature is currently at 150 pixels.

Kidvish, you're at 110.

Reaper, 130.

Sarah, 180.

Once again, I state that 100+ pixels is probably too much for a signature.

Take steps accordingly.
cheese is funny
am i the only one that thinks that the sig sizes are fine the way they are? i mean seriously, who is complaining about them being too big? if everyone enjoys what they have created/found that would make a good sig, why mess with it? i seriously doubt its bugging anyone all that much....
Phyllis
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ Aug 21 2003, 08:44 PM)
am i the only one that thinks that the sig sizes are fine the way they are? i mean seriously, who is complaining about them being too big? if everyone enjoys what they have created/found that would make a good sig, why mess with it? i seriously doubt its bugging anyone all that much....

I will definitely say that it bugs me.

When a page of posts is mostly signatures, that gets a little irritating to scroll through. I think that setting a limit at 100 px is more than enough, personally. Mine is something like 45, I think.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ Aug 21 2003, 10:44 PM)
i seriously doubt its bugging anyone all that much....

Actually, it is. It bothers me. And it bothers other people. I'd be willing to bet that it bugs Mata a bit too.
chester
is my sig tag too big?im sorry if it is, if it bugs anyone all that much id love for anyone to resize it. i really dont mind. ill do anything to help smile.gif . everyone seemed kinda angry today about spamming and sig sizes, so ill try to make eveyone happy again. id really like to resize my tag if anyone can help me with it id be very happy! i dont know how to do it myself, so plese... anyone? check my profile for my email if you dont already have it. it doesnt really annoy me that much, but i understand it takes up space and that bugs other people. im not taking sides, so ill just try to please both sides of this.... dont hurt me....

dont worry, be happy!
kelly j.
Phyllis
Your image is exactly 100 pixels tall, chester. I'd say don't worry about it. You have a line of text after it, so maybe re-size it to a smaller font? *shrug* Or, even better, just have the text put onto the image. I'll do it for you, if you want.
chester
QUOTE (candice @ Aug 22 2003, 05:25 AM)
Your image is exactly 100 pixels tall, chester. I'd say don't worry about it. You have a line of text after it, so maybe re-size it to a smaller font? *shrug* Or, even better, just have the text put onto the image. I'll do it for you, if you want.

sure! thatd be great. i would prefer for the image to be a little smaller, though. i mean, seeing as though its already stretched upward.... tongue.gif
Phyllis
I'll PM you with a link to the new image, chester.

If anyone else needs help re-sizing images, feel free to PM me. It only takes me a couple of seconds, so it's no problem at all. I can also put any other text ya have in your sig onto the image if ya like, to save space (wow, I feel like I'm advertising here or something...well, anything to get smaller sigs on people, I suppose happy.gif )
Weary Traveler
I can also resize if anyone wants... ot make new sigs if any wants... just get me a picture and PM me...
Skiz
As someone whos already had a signiture cut (but it was so lovely and big and blue.......) can someone give the retarded Kimmii a hand? I can't resize tags and can't work out how to change the typo in it. Please help me, my technological skills are limited. If you help me Ill be your friend for ever and ever and ever.

Ill stop grovelling now........
CommieBastard
I'm no 1337 Photoshop wizard or anything, but I'll give it a shot, unless someone more competent wants a go.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Aug 21 2003, 11:57 PM)
Look, people, the sigs are obnoxiously big. The pictures plus the paragraphs of text? Yeah. Too much. Seriously.

Paging Mr VVes, paging Mr VVes, there's a call at the front desk for you...
Mata
100 pixels tall is a good guide for pic sizes, try not to make them too wide either otherwise it can mean that people who view the pages on lower res have to keep scrolling across to see the end of lines (no-one on this thread at time of posting this has this as a problem).

I can handle a line or two of text after this as long as it's small type.

I've chopped lots of people's sigs down since I started this forum and people do seem to be getting better. I used to be doing about fifteen a week but I've been really busy for the last couple of weeks so I've not been around enough to do this.

One good tip if you have lots of lines of text is to put '//' between the bits of info. See Gerbil's sig (that I'm about to go and edit!) for a demonstration.

HUGE sigs do annoy me because it hampers the flow of a coversation, 150 pixels is a maximum with 100-120 (or less, including any text) being a preferred size.
Pixelgoth
So how do I find out how big my sig is on an iMac then? It's all well and good you lot assuming we all use PC's but we don't tongue.gif Well I don't! tongue.gif

Is my sig too big?

Sam
x
Skiz
mines exactly 100 so see if it more or less the same
gerbilfromhell
QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 22 2003, 11:44 AM)
100 pixels tall is a good guide for pic sizes, try not to make them too wide either otherwise it can mean that people who view the pages on lower res have to keep scrolling across to see the end of lines (no-one on this thread at time of posting this has this as a problem).

I can handle a line or two of text after this as long as it's small type.

I've chopped lots of people's sigs down since I started this forum and people do seem to be getting better. I used to be doing about fifteen a week but I've been really busy for the last couple of weeks so I've not been around enough to do this.

One good tip if you have lots of lines of text is to put '//' between the bits of info. See Gerbil's sig (that I'm about to go and edit!) for a demonstration.

HUGE sigs do annoy me because it hampers the flow of a coversation, 150 pixels is a maximum with 100-120 (or less, including any text) being a preferred size.

oooooo nice idea mata! thanx biggrin.gif yay, now my sig's normal sized smile.gif
Mata
No prob Gerb, just make sure you don't find yourself desperately needing to add more lines to it now I've compacted it down for you!

Pixie, your sig looks to be around right to me smile.gif
SteelWingedCherub
Somebody Slaughtered my sig a few days ago but im not sure how to change it. Its a circle with words and if you make it smaller the words will become un-readable is there anyway to get round this or not ?
CommieBastard
Cherub: make a new one. If re-sizing isn't an option, then I don't see an alternative really.
SteelWingedCherub
Okay then ill find another
Mata
A note to mods:

When altering a person's sig please don't actually remove content.

If it is text resize it.

If it is pictures make them links.

If
it
is
too
many
lines
turn them into '//'.

While I don't like big sigs I also don't want to delete sigs because they are expressions of people's individuality. I personally always leave a note saying that I have done it so people know who to ask if they want advice on resizing.
Rattgirl
There's been an ever-growing trend to putting sigs on a website and then just having your Mataforum sig be nothing more than a link to your web-hosted sig. Seems to be working pretty well.....that's always an option for those who have problems getting their forum sig to a manageable size..?
kidvicious2punk
i think mine is okay
Rattgirl
looks ok but I'm not the judge...*grin*
espresso_bean
Well, I do agree with Missy...but I REALLY don't want to change my sig. It's my personality in writing...

Is mine too big? Probably. I will change the font size.
Mata
Or I could just do it for you smile.gif Yeah, it was about twice the size it needed to be. It is perhaps a little on the large size still but that's beacuse the font you're using, Courier, doesn't like smaller size settings. If you really want to compact it down then change the font to the standard. I'll leave that choice up to you!
espresso_bean
Thank you for doing my grunt-work for me. With work and life in general I rarely even find time to come here. My sig looks so much better now.
elf
I think that total my sig is like, 110 pixels <<; If it really is too big, a mod can chop it. I already lowered the font size and resized my sig *but that was a while ago*
porcelainwarrior
i think mine is ok heightwise but if anyone could tell me how i save stuff from photoshop without that bedamned grey mounting thing behind it i would be eternally grateful cause i can work it out...
Juiceisgood
Just realized my sig was way over the limit. I've cut it down but I'm loath to actually change the font size. Is it alright the way it is?
Mata
Thoose three lines look fine to me.
leopold
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Aug 25 2003, 10:14 AM)
i think mine is ok heightwise but if anyone could tell me how i save stuff from photoshop without that bedamned grey mounting thing behind it i would be eternally grateful cause i can work it out...

Oh... an there was me thinkin ya did that on purpose!

I'm sure there's plenty nice peeps here who'd fix it for ya. I'll have a go meself if ya like, I'm startin to get the hang of PSP a bit now...

Edit: Although obviously that'd mean you sendin it to me. I can't get the hang of Photoshop at all sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.