Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Phsycic Mediums?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
SteelWingedCherub
I Thought alot about this after watching a long series of programs that were on last night about the world of phsycics including the ten top ways to contact the dead I was just wondering wether this phenomenom is as un excepted as most people seem to think it is. Many meduims have had alot of success recently due to such series as sream team ect...ect.... but is it a scam? Many people will no doubt say that it is a load of crap but I like to keep an open mind

Phsycic mediums are they real or fake?
gerbilfromhell
fake. money making scam. all you need is some good sources (to find out about the deceased, events in his/her life that, if you could randomly tell them from his/her point of view, would make you seem genuinly able to communicate with the dead), a lot of money (for the sources/t.v. show) and a good speaking ability and you can look like you can communicate with the dead. of course there's also the possibility that the info sources are the ppl they do the 'communications' for (i.e. it's all a huge conspiracy, they ask the ppl before the show, it's all rehearsed, etc. etc.)
SteelWingedCherub
So you believe that its all rehearsed And of course nobody does that better than Derek Acorahwell !!!
gerbilfromhell
no, i never said i believe it's rehearsed. i'm saying that it's fake and that COULD be one of the methods that they obtain the info about the deceased
SteelWingedCherub
My mistake sorry
gerbilfromhell
saright, all is forgiven smile.gif
so what're your views on this subject?
SteelWingedCherub
As I said I like to keep an open mind but I have to say that sometimes it all seems to good to be true!. I must admit that I do tend to agree with most of your views on the matter as they are all feasable and seem realistic iv allways had an interest in the supernatural and I`d like to think that there is a way to communicate with dead relatives ect ect but the more and more I think about it and watch programs with the big fake that is Derek Acorahwell the more im drawn away from the idea. Many of these mediums do seem to make very general assumptions about the deaceased whilst they are supposedly communicating with them it makes me angry that people are being exploited in that way but my mind is still open to the subject
Sir Psycho Sexy
I do think that even if it is possible, it is clearly exploited to take money...then again my friend swears blind that humans are psychic... i'm not sure what to think, though i get a lot of deja'vu, i swear i dream the future >.<
leopold
My missus can do that psychic thing... she once did my tarot cards, gulped, then told me summat big was gonna happen in my life, I'd need to make a decision, and that that decision would put an end to a situation that was botherin me fer some time.

About 6 weeks later, I was at a family party when summat happened to make me really, really angry. I decided at that point that me family weren't worth such aggravation, so I left the party, never to talk to any of 'em again. And this has been the situation ever since.

The problem? My bloody mother not lettin go of the fact she didn't like my missus, an decidin that bein a complete bitch in a room full of her family would be a good move...
LoLo
I personally belive in psychic things and contacting the dead. However people who do it for money I think are most likely full of crap. Psychic things are hard to explain and even harder to prove and many people do exploit that fact. I voted that I don't know but I do keep an open mind about it. Basically if you go to someone and you want to believe you will believe, so some people do need that.

I read tarot cards, runes, and know a little about palm reading. I also love astrology. When I read the cards or runes I do it for a basis as a guide to what may happen but don't hold it as the truth of what is going to happen. It helps in my opinion to guide the way and avoid certain situations if one chooses too.

Contacting the dead I think can happen. I don't think that the dead can point in the direction of the future though.

I guess this topic is more about contacting the dead though.
leopold
Yes, it is... sorry, I appear to have got confused.

No, dead people can't show the future, they act more as guides than soothsayers. Or at least that's what the missus tells me. She also tells me that ya can't really summon them, they come ta you.
VVes
I don't subscribe to many ideas of the supernatural, and this one in particular when exploited even in the media "Crossing over" makes it really hard to take seriously at times. I suppose there are means out there to finger the ethereal realm and seek out the deceased, but the particulars of a persons past can be researched , so again it may be that you can contact them, but half the things I've seen makes me doubt it at times. huh.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (leopold @ Aug 24 2003, 01:52 PM)
Yes, it is... sorry, I appear to have got confused.

No, dead people can't show the future, they act more as guides than soothsayers. Or at least that's what the missus tells me. She also tells me that ya can't really summon them, they come ta you.

I agree they come to you.

You can try quija boards but you never know whos pushing the thing. It could be someone you're playing with or it could be a mischevious spirit (if you believe in that). I remember when my sis used to play on one, she talked to jesus all the time. rolleyes.gif
gerbilfromhell
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Aug 24 2003, 09:17 PM)
I do think that even if it is possible, it is clearly exploited to take money...then again my friend swears blind that humans are psychic... i'm not sure what to think, though i get a lot of deja'vu, i swear i dream the future >.<

yeah, i get deja'vu a lot too. but i don't actually believe in that either. two reasons for that
1) while you're having deja'vu, you never actually see anything beyond the present, all you think is that you've somehow experienced this moment before
2) this seems somehow easily explained by science. i mean, there're lots of unexplainable things, but i expect this's caused by your mind somehow (not sure how, obviously)

and now for a slightly random tangent: some peopel at my camp decided to use a quija board, just for the fun of it. then one of them began believing that it was true and would lock herself in someone's room and when they tried to come in, she'd yell 'GO AWAY! YOU'RE DISTURBING THE SPIRITS!' laugh.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (LoLo @ Aug 24 2003, 01:40 PM)
I personally belive in psychic things and contacting the dead. However people who do it for money I think are most likely full of crap.

Those are pretty much my thoughts on this. I believe there could be such things as psychics and such..although I have seen no proof, I like to keep an open mind. I can't say one way or the other whether they exist or not. But I think that if they do exist, their...powers I guess you would call them...aren't governable. Meaning they can't control them, they just happen whenever they want to. Maybe that's just one of my weird ideas though..lol.

It is a fact that psychic shows are rigged. In ones such as "Crossing Over," the scheme goes like this: before the show, they serve punch and cookies or something of the sort, and people mingle. Someone who works for the show picks a couple of people to talk to and asks them who they're trying to contact. The person spills forth a bunch of information about what they're hoping to hear, and the person who works for the show passes this info on to the "psychic," who picks the person and tells them all of this "amazing" stuff that is fed to them through an earpiece. Generally the person working for the show sits in the audience and whispers it to the "psychic." People around them are so wrapped up that they don't even notice.

Sometimes you'll see shows where a psychic will describe certain aspects of a person they have never met. They'll talk about things like the way their home is laid out, their likes/dislikes, etc. In shows like this, tickets are usually reserved ahead of time. When the person reserving the tickets pays for them, they have to give their name, address, and phone number. A person from the show actually goes to their house and looks around (they get inside by pretending to be a stranded motorist and asking to use the phone). They notice things like a collection of bells or postcards from all over the world hung on the wall, and then make the logical inferrences about them. They take in the tiny details, because that is what will convince the person that the psychic is genuine.

Those doing it for money are all just exploiting peoples' desires to contact their deceased loved ones. However, if it does give the people who seek this out a feeling of peace that they haven't been able to find elsewhere, I can't really argue with that...unless they are constantly going to this person and throwing their money away. But if going once gives them a sense of closure, then who am I to tell them they can't have that?
DarkenedSilence
I do believe in genuine waays and people who can connect to another side of reality. Call iut what you will. Then there are those that take advantage of that. Whether it be genuine or not doesn't make any relevance to me, it's the fact that they exploit it that gets me. I highly doubt that the mass media "psychics" are indeed genuine. Just great cons. MY uncle used to tell someone the most believable stories because he knew how to read reactions, taught me a bit of how it works. It's just a matter of reading te person, gauging their reactions, if they start falling fast for the story you can take it anywhere and they'll beleive it. Not because it's true, but they want it to be true. Their wiling to bend their beliefs or even form a whole new image in their head just so they can connect with it. It's amazing what the mind wil do to feel good. It's why I went into the psych program at college.
reaper
Its hard to know who to believe when people are otu there to profit off the people who actually believe. It makes it harder for the people who want to belieb really believe in the super natural. I would like to think it is possible to contact dead spirits. My mother would never let me near oyiji (dont know if i spelt that right) board because she never liked them. I guess I can understand why.

I always figured that guy on tv was a hoax. What Candice said makes sense,thanks for clearing that up.
WeeJ
I often think its a rip off to scam people who have suffered loss.

Sorry, I sound a bit cynical there.
nordelen
im really unsure about this subject. i know people who have been to pyschics, ad they've said that some of them have been right on the money (with very little personnal info given to them), while others were pure charlettans.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (leopold @ Aug 24 2003, 09:52 PM)
She also tells me that ya can't really summon them, they come ta you.

Well they come to me often enough and I'm not mad or certifiable therefore I believe in it 100%. I've had too many incidents in my life relating to it to say it's coincidence. FAR too many. I personally think that the dead can be contacted but usually at their request (i.e. they contact you). I think it's quite rude to disturb someones rest so it's always best to wait for them to contact you and be polite (like you would to a living person)

Tarot, runes, etc. aren't about contacting the dead. They are divinatory tools to help unscramble what's in the subconcious. You already know the answer deep within and the divinatory tool helps understand it. IMHO anyway smile.gif

Ouija boards can be used to contact the dead but they are EXTREMELY dangerous if misused and I really can't stress that enough! If you aren't experienced and don't know what you are doing with them leave well alone. I don't touch them. They aren't just used to contact benign dead spirits of ancestors. Be careful people ph34r.gif
Pab
Phsycic Mediums?, Is It possible to contact the dead

No. It isn't. It is necessarily a rip off. The people who do it know it is a rip off. Total balony, the whole thing, all of it. Psychics, predictions, 'the stars', all of it. Dangerous balony.

That doesn't mean that good cannot come of it, too. It's ok to be supersticious if it makes ya feel more comfortable. It is also amazing what can be achieved by educated guesses.

If you think that sounds cynical, you are probably right. You should read my thaughts right now. Now THAT is cynical...

A question was asked. That is my answer.
Rain
Is it possible for phychic mediums to contact the dead? Of course. I have known this to be true for my entire life, and it was only a few years ago that I realized some people doubted it. This confused me at first. How could someone just NOT believe in phychic abilities? I figure the best way to explain phychics to someone who doesn't really believe is to tell them about a phychic friend of mine.

I met my friend for the first time while shopping at Fred Meyer. My mom was looking for a watch, and my soon-to-be-friend was working in the jewelry section. They started talking to each other, and after about half an hour, my friend suddenly asked my mom, "Is your mother gone?"

My mom had made absolutely no mention whatsoever of her mother, who died about 15 years ago. She told my friend that yes, her mother was gone, and my friend suddenly looked very excited and said, "She's here!"

Her eyes kind of clouded over, like she was looking at something very far away, and she proceeded to describe my grandmother in great detail; what she looked like, where she was, her body type, her accent, the broom she used to sweep her kitchen with, and even the door that my dad had installed for her. Everything, every tiny little detail was 100% correct.

Now tell me, how could a woman we had met less than half an hour ago at a jewelry counter possibly be faking it? The truth is, she wasn't. Genuine phychics DO exist. And many of them CAN contact the dead. But so many fake phychics make these claims that oftentimes the real phychics are ignored or dicredited. Unfortunately, many people cannot tell the difference between the real ones and the fake ones, and so they assume that it's all a lie, that everyone's faking it. I feel very sorry for these people, and hope that they eventually realize that not everyone is in it for the money.
gerbilfromhell
QUOTE (nordelen @ Aug 26 2003, 12:23 PM)
im really unsure about this subject. i know people who have been to pyschics, ad they've said that some of them have been right on the money (with very little personnal info given to them), while others were pure charlettans.

my only comment on this is: did those people schedule their appointments or just walk in? if their appointments were scheduled, then the 'psychics' COULD have reasearched the deceased person in question. also, if people want to believe that the psychic is true, subconsiously, they might, when the psychic talks about a specific thing that is slightly wrong, either not remember the part that's wrong or think 'yeah, i'm pretty sure that's true. yeah it has to be'. also, for those contacting deceased who died a long time ago, then you not only entirely forget some things about the person, but mis-remember others. on the other hand, these psychics could be the real thing
Monkey the Rabid Red Rabbit
I believe that many mediums really can contact the dead. There's a boy who I talk to in homeroom who once went to a medium who channeled his dead grandfather. Of course, some people are just out and out liars.
Cough. John Edward.
pink_pixie10705
QUOTE (SteelWingedCherub @ Aug 24 2003, 10:26 AM)
I Thought alot about this after watching a long series of programs that were on last night about the world of phsycics including the ten top ways to contact the dead I was just wondering wether this phenomenom is as un excepted as most people seem to think it is. Many meduims have had alot of success recently due to such series as sream team ect...ect.... but is it a scam? Many people will no doubt say that it is a load of crap but I like to keep an open mind

Phsycic mediums are they real or fake?

my personal opinion would be that they are real....but i am sure there are people out there scamming poelpe for their money....me on the onther hand i am a medium but i do not advertise myself....i just merely talk to family and friends...so i guess it all deoends on who you are researching. I live in america, but i read an article on how a Britsh unniversity did a study in phsycic mediums and how when they put the mediums in a room with a person they had never met, their powers happened to disappear....if that happens ofcourse they're fakes...real phsycics don't usually advertise them selves. there are few who do, but much more who dont (like sylvia brown)..........sorry rhis is so long, but i wanted to give my opinion. =P
Mata
Hi Pink Pixie, welcome to my forums. I see you've worked out how to use the search function! This is a real blast-from-the-past thread... Is there a reason that you found this thread on my forums? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but it's interesting that for your first post you would chose to reanimate a forgotten thread about a subject which you appear not to have very strong views on.

Another quick note to PP: your post isn't long, but the over use of '...' and lack of capitalisation do make it harder to read than it should be. Please try and use these in future, thanks!

On topic...

Mediums are interesting. I think that it is very possible that they believe that they are talking to the dead, but whether they are or not is another question. Cold-reading, where a person apparently knows the unknowable about a complete stranger, is possible if you become extremely sensitive and talented at reading body language. Derren Brown is an excellent example of this.

That said, I don't discount the possibility that there are people who can pick up some form of resonance for things that have happened in a place. The world is a complex and varied place, and to say that we understand it all would be arrogant.
Clatterpop
Although I find it difficult to believe in ghosts and the paranormal in the traditional sense, the world is indeed a complex place and things often happen that are very difficult to explain.

When I was twelve my grandmother passed away. I never got on with most my family as my parents went through a messy divorce, and I was sent to live with nan. She was the only family that I ever trusted and truly loved. Her death tore my world apart. About six months later, whilst sitting on a bus, I heard my nans voice quite clearly telling me everything was ok and that she loved me. I'm pretty sure that at the time I knew that what I'd heard was nothing more than an auditory hallucination, but even so, it shook me up.

When I think back to it, I can't help but feel that in a way, that maybe the ghost of my nan was talking to me. It probably was just in my head, but maybe that's in part what ghosts are, and it's just a case of how we perceive the experience.

When all's said and done I'm glad I heard her voice that day, and when I think back to it , it still comforts me.
Mata
Aww, that's a lovely story!

I had a dream a few years ago that my grandfather presented me with a picture. He died when I was three months old but he was the one from whom I have inherited most of my arty-ness. The picture had a poem written beneath it:

As far as I can see it
The world has many changes
Were I a younger man
I would be with you on the long road.

I know that it couldn't have been him, but the possibility of it having been is still a comforting thought.
Pixelgoth
At the end of the day my Mum has just passed away and I'd like to think that when I go and see a medium they will be able to tell me she's OK. I don't think it's a pile of poo and I have had psychic experiences myself. If there's another way to explain it fine but it helps me to grieve to think that I can contact her when I want.
PsychWardMike
After not reading most of the responses, here's my two cents - I think that there are planes of existence higher than our own. I think that a lucky few can tap this and I think that some substances enhance it. However, I do not think that people on TV claimign that they can speak with the dead are real. I doubt firstly that there is anything so blunt as actual speech going on between the two but more importantly, I doubt that the dead always want to communicate.

Anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to see the future, though - it seems that if they exist on a different plane of being, then they might exist on different time planes as well.
PsychWardMike
Can a mod or some sort of superhero correct the spelling of "psychic"?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.