Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Uk Matameet V2.0
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Debaser
QUOTE (Mingtea @ Nov 19 2003, 06:08 PM)
I had no hand in any of that.

Liar.
WeeJ
I had to go home before that part of the night 'rolled around' Damn trains dry.gif
Drarok and I will be kipping in a hotel over night at the next meet though. I shall be supping the magic falling over water this time.

When's Mata's birthday? He mentioned having a bit of a shindig...Should prolly check that out.

EDIT - 7th Feb. Bloody hell. Who's going to do all the fiddly organising things this time? Mata I presume being as its his hometown?
CommieBastard
I wonder how many Pizza Huts there are in Winchester?
FurryMammal
i wanna go this time.

problem is.... wheres winchester? it wont be so bad if its on a main train line
CommieBastard
QUOTE (FurryMammal @ Nov 19 2003, 10:32 PM)

Apparently it's surprisingly well-connected.
FurryMammal
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Nov 19 2003, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (FurryMammal @ Nov 19 2003, 10:32 PM)

Apparently it's surprisingly well-connected.

in a crime syndicate way or a transportation way?

either would suit me
Mata
In a train-line way.

It's on direct lines from Waterloo, Birmingham, Edinburgh... Loads of places. It used to be the capital of England ages ago, so there were loads of connections put in place then that later became trade routes and then eventually train lines. Hurrah!

There is only one Pizza Hut in Winchester smile.gif I might get us booked into an independant place though if they'll have all of us. It'd be nice to not be supporting a huge chain, but huge chains can be convenient for loads of people!

My birthday is on the 4th, I'm probably thinking mid-Feb would be a suitable date.

Essentially there's not a lot of organising to be done, I'll book a restaurant, we'll have lunch, if anyone's interested I can give people a quick tour of Winchester (there's not really any such thing as a 'long' tour of a place the size of Winchester). Those who want to can wander the old places/shops the rest of us can head off to the pub for the next... Six of seven hours biggrin.gif
Mr Fuzzy
There is such a thing as a long tour here... You just need to tour the pubs. That'll take a while, yet involve suprisingly little walking/staggering/crawling/writhing*.

* Delete as level of blood alcohol dictates.
WeeJ
What's available in the way of bed and breakfast's/hotels?
Rattgirl
So, if you can only get to Winchester by train, car, or other wheeled transport, where's the nearest major airport that could be flown into by a commercial jet?
Spacehappy
http://www.cityofwinchester.co.uk/

Thought this would help. wink.gif
Mingtea
Winchester sounds cool, we have mates there.
Polocrunch
Mata, where on the map is Winchester? North of London? South of London? West of London? England revolves around London you see.
And just how long ago was Winchester the capital of England? We're talking millennia, right?
Cath Sparrow
Well I'll probably be driving down and depending on stuff I might be able to offer a ride to people. biggrin.gif
Mr Fuzzy
Due to Winchester being a popular place for foreign tourists we have many B&B's and hotels.

Our nearest international airport is Southapton airport (actually closer to Eastleigh but never mind) which is a 10-15 minute train journey away.

It is easily found on the map. Look at the big crack in the middle bottom of the island. That is Southampton water, and Winchester is about 12 miles up from there.
WeeJ
Don't suppose we could arrange an actual date could we?...or is it too early unsure.gif

Are we doing a weekend thing or a one day extravaganze like last time?
leopold
Wheee, ya may find that Southampton airport isn't as well connected to much of the US as some others. Yer best bet would be London Heathrow, it's the nearest major international airport an is prolly the best served UK airport from the US.

Winchester was about 90 minutes on the train from Heathrow when it was run by British Rail, but in the lovely privatised industry it is now it'll be more like two an a half hours. Or possibly not at all...
Pixelgoth
Just wanted to point out that the middle of February is smack bang on Valentine's Day so can we not do it that weekend as I have plans smile.gif

I say we choose the weekend before so it's nearer the board's birthday? What about Saturday 7th February????? wink.gif

I will also need details of local B&B's, hotels, etc. but I'll worry about that when we've agreed a date!

InKy if you're out there in the ether and you want lifts again then let me know although I guess you'll be coming from Stoke now? rolleyes.gif
monkey_called_narth
pssssssst... i cant go if its on the 7th
WeeJ
Taking a quick shufty at the calandar...I reckon Saturday 21st of February would be a funky date. Its not much good arranging it for a Friday night as a load of us work/go to school so we won't be able to get to Winchester until very late at night...and no one wants that sad.gif

so...that sounds like a groovy date for everyone?
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
Umm.. I couldnt be able to make a saturday cozofs I have a saturday job sad.gif
But I dont know if I should go anyway because of I'm all little and young and shy??? unsure.gif

*edit* maybe I could get a day off?
WeeJ
QUOTE (crazymat @ Nov 24 2003, 07:44 PM)
Umm.. I couldnt be able to make a saturday cozofs I have a saturday job sad.gif
But I dont know if I should go anyway because of I'm all little and young and shy??? unsure.gif

*edit* maybe I could get a day off?

That'd probably be best being as most people work/school during the week.

Throw a sickie wink.gif Gwon! We won't tell wink.gif
Mr Fuzzy
I'm made of string, old, and shy on top. Go on... It'll be fun!
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
hehe.. except I dont actually know the phone number of where I work.. so I'll have to think up something in advance. Maybe a family thing or something..then I could offer to work on sunday instead! (cant be missing out on the money now can I)

Yes... *plots non-evil plan slightly confusedly*
MeirdBen
QUOTE (crazymat @ Nov 25 2003, 05:38 PM)
I'll have to think up something in advance. Maybe a family thing or something..

Thats what i was planning.. but i need to get a t-shirt first because otherwise i'll be the only weirdo there who doesnt have one...
Pixelgoth
Hey all smile.gif If the date hasn't been decided yet can I please request the 7th Feb over the 21st smile.gif

I got an offer of free first class train travel to Winchester but the voucher runs out on 15th February so the 21st is too late.

It just makes it easier for me but if most people can't make that date then I guess I'll have to find another way of getting there cheaply although it won't be free sad.gif
Mata
That's as good a reason as I need.

7th Feb it is, and that can be my birthday bash too. Hurrah!
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 8 2003, 05:04 PM)

I'll bring the hats.
Jonman
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Dec 8 2003, 10:16 AM)
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 8 2003, 05:04 PM)

I'll bring the hats.

Screw the hats.

BRING PIE!!!!
hinsley
someone pm me the date and time and place when everyones decided. ty
Cath Sparrow
YAY! By Jove I think we have. I'm coming to the definate conclusion that we might indeed have a date! I was easy I have no arrangements for Feb not even for the 14th so I should be able to make it there for the 7th. biggrin.gif
leopold
QUOTE (Jonman @ Dec 8 2003, 05:45 PM)
Screw the hats.

BRING PIE!!!!

Yeah... I'd like her ta come along as well.

Or did ya mean pie as in the pastry thing filled with meat or fruit??
Pixelgoth
Turned out nice again! wink.gif

Right so 7th February in Winchester it is then. Apparently I can get a train straight there from Sheffield.

Nice one.

As a famous cigar smoking bloke used to say "I love it when a plan comes together!"

laugh.gif

P.S.

We need hats AND pie (of both sorts)!
monkey_called_narth
well i hope you guys have fun since i wont be there (i wont be in the uk untill the 18th of febuary) but enjoy yourselves without me.
WeeJ
7th it is then.

And no getting lost looking for Pizza Hut's this time

unsure.gif
Pixelgoth
Yeah *looks at WeeJ and rolls eyes* perhaps someone else better take care of the lunch arrangements biggrin.gif
WeeJ
We got there in the end didn't we!!?! dry.gif

I think we may need the phone numbers for any local hotels now we have a date booked smile.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Dec 9 2003, 10:54 AM)
We got there in the end didn't we!!?! dry.gif

I think we may need the phone numbers for any local hotels now we have a date booked smile.gif

Yes well enough said about that the better. I mean did we really need a guided tour of the town centre and two Pizza Huts?!? tongue.gif

laugh.gif

Only messing with ya babe! wink.gif

Yep, hotels might be a good idea!
WeeJ
Or maybe we could all kip on Mata's floor laugh.gif
I'm sure he'd be chuffed to bits to find us all on his doorstep Saturday night laugh.gif

Would anyone be up for traveling up Friday night if it realy is a direct train? I'm thinking an early pub sesh for those who could make/afford it wink.gif
porcelainwarrior
erm...i REALLY REALLY wanna come to this one...cause ill be 17 and surely my mum cant still be smoting me with her mightiness then? right? so...where in hell is winchester exactly?
leopold
Somewhere down south, Porce. And I don't mean Berwick either!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Dec 9 2003, 01:04 PM)
Would anyone be up for traveling up Friday night if it realy is a direct train? I'm thinking an early pub sesh for those who could make/afford it wink.gif

Won't be able to make it down for Friday night. I don't finish work before 5pm and Ed also has to get over to mine and it's all a logistical nightmare to get the time off work and the extra cost of an additional night in a hotel sad.gif Quite happy to get an early train down to Winchester on Saturday but I have no idea how long it'll take. It could conceivably go all around the houses and take over 6 hours sad.gif

As for kipping on Mata's floor, I'm all for that wink.gif Could be cosy WeeJ! Hee laugh.gif
Polocrunch
Yay! 7th of February is fine. How much do trains and hotels and alcohol cost?

Mata, can we crash at your house, or will I have to spend accursed "money" again?
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Dec 9 2003, 07:32 PM)
Mata, can we crash at your house, or will I have to spend accursed "money" again?

I seem to remember Mata mentioning he lived in a bedsit, so I doubt that's a possibility somehow.

Would anyone be up for traveling up Friday night if it realy is a direct train? I'm thinking an early pub sesh for those who could make/afford it

Count me in. It's about an hour away from London anyway, no problems here.
Polocrunch
Yep, I'll probably be coming with Commie, so I'll be there too.
WeeJ
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Dec 9 2003, 02:56 PM)
As for kipping on Mata's floor, I'm all for that wink.gif Could be cosy WeeJ! Hee laugh.gif

Its a date Sam wink.gif

Any idea's what time on Saturday we should meet? 1pm again?
Cath Sparrow
I was thinking of going on the fri as I get tend to get fri afternoons off & if I drive down I've no idea when I'd get there on the sat. So will probably come on the fri. biggrin.gif
WeeJ
I may book the Friday off with Mat (if I can pursaude him) and make a long weekend of it.
porcelainwarrior
QUOTE (leopold @ Dec 9 2003, 02:27 PM)
Somewhere down south, Porce. And I don't mean Berwick either!

*grumble* i hate berwick anyways...

so its about an hour from london (i think i read some place)? meh...ok...cool...
WeeJ
Blimey. An hour away from London? That's going to be one long train ride for me and Mat ohmy.gif wink.gif

click

looking at this map, would it be easier to go by car than train? (I'm just by B'ham)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.