Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Obsessive/compulsive/weird Habits
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Ashbless
In college I had the habit of rubbing my earlobes. I'd continue 'till they bled, leave them alone for a few days and then wind up rubbing off the new skin again.

I also used to bite my nails. I managed to reduce that down to just biting my pinkie nails. The last couple months I've noticed that I leave them alone now. Strange that - it isn't like my stress level has gone down any. dry.gif

I have to have my feet covered when I sleep. Of course that could be learned as the cat would lick or bite exposed toes when he was bored. I also feel most comfortable sleeping with the bedroom door open a bit. It only really has to be ajar - it doesn't need to let light in. I've had that habit since I was very little. Mom told me I was afraid of a ghost ??? *shrugs*

Currently I pull on my eyebrows. Haven't ever pulled 'em right out although I did hear of a girl who did.

Really all I can think of at the moment. smile.gif
dancing hamster guy
i cant stop playing my dancing hamsters - they are hillarious
helicopter pilot
patterns. things have to be in patterns. like the order in which i eat candy, or the way things are lined up.
and counting things, especially on long car trips. things like road signs get counted until someone distracts me. sometimes that will even happen when i am walking. i will count cars an signs and people, and make them into patterns. the patterns get horribly complicated after a while. thats why i ususally listen to music while walking; it makes it stop.
talking to faeries
I tend to count things, mostly how many paces when I walk somewhere. That's the main thing that I do. But I also have this weird thing with money. I absolutely hate using say a £10 note when I can count out all my change and use that instead, much to the annoyance of my boyfriend because I usually take ages when I do that. I remember once, I actually paid the pizza delivery guy about £12 with some pound coins, 50p's some 20p's and a bunch of 5p's...that's how sad I am.

However, today I took a huge chance when I ventured to the shop..I had in my pocket £2.20 in change and also a £10 note. I picked up a bottle of water and a diet coke and then without checking the prices I also got a cup of hot chocolate (they weren't all for me..I'm not that greedy), what can I say..I live on the wild side biggrin.gif So I got to the till and waited for the price to come up and luckily for me it came to....£2.16 YAY! So the tenner is still safely tucked away in my pocket. Oh God, I'm so sad laugh.gif
froggle-rock
No your not. I like to get rid of all my change too. -but I think that's because I have a very small purse. Or did, as I just lost it!
artist.unknown
I always need to carry LOTS of change with me. And all in certain amounts; eg, a dollar in quarters, fifty cents in dimes, twenty five in nickels and, er, around twenty in pennies. Then, when I'm waiting to pay for something, I count my change. Over, and over, and over. Yes. It's very bad.

I could go on for quite some time as I have OCD, but the funniest I guess is my fixation on time. I obsessively check the minutes. And if the number counts up or down, z.B. 3:45 or 5:43, or if it repeats, z.B. 3:33, I stop what I'm doing and wait until the minute's up. I just stare at my watch and don't move. Well, except to breathe. So...yeah.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
When talking to someone if I'm calling them a nickname I have to stop and think about it before I actually say it.

I also have conversations in my head which never get anywhere but between my ears.

I can't not check that I locked the door, I'll get over the road and have to come back and check again...I actually ram my shoulder into the door just to check that it's closed properly sometimes mellow.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
This is just off of my head but I'll probably add some more.

- Everyone does it. That new books smell...mmm.
- I wait exactly 2 minutes into a song before I decide if I like it or not. Or if its a long song (doom metal for example) I start halfway through and listen to exactly 2 minutes of it.

QUOTE (Debaser @ Sep 17 2003, 11:17 PM)
i am EXTREMELY anal about my mp3 collection...everything has to be named in the same format ("tracknumber - song.mp3"), in the right artist/album folder, and have every first letter capitalised in the ID tag...otherwise i get really REALLY pissed off...

- I do this too. I get very annoyed when I find I've not capitalised a song and go into a mood.
- I constantly play with a chain while walking.
- When I am in a show I like to sit in a cafe or somewhere busy and study people for charicteristics that I can use. But I now wherever I am (especially going home from somewhere) I look at people and watch them. If I find someone particlierly interesting I'd divert my route to watch them.
- Not really compulsive habit but I always have a lit candle at my desk, mmm fire.
- I memorise events in my dreams. When I was 7 I had a seris of dreams about world war 3 (fought medieval style, lances and stuff) and I remember waking up after the final battle and declaring to myself peace was achieved at 10:10pm on Thursday 8th of November 1994.
- I like to memorise anything useless. There was a car which I walked by on my way to primary school in yr 5, made a story about it crashing into the school playground and I told the number plate to the police (A309KKA). Don't know why I memorise such useless things.
PsychWardMike
I can only wake up at certain times. I can wake up at any number divisible by five (basically any time ending, of course, in 5 or 0.) I can also wake up at 11:11. And 3:33.

*shrug* I guess that's a little OCD.
gothictheysay
*snickersnicker* He thinks he has a little OCD now does he? artist and I should bonk you over the head again.

I used to watch my feet and *obsessively* not step on cracks in the sidewalk. I also used to make sure each square had a certain number of steps to it - one day it was two, another three. If I'm writing on lined paper, and any portion of a letter that's not supposed to dip out of the line does, I have to erase it and re-write it (this is weird considering the state of my handwriting). All my schoolbooks have to be stacked so the biggest is on the bottom and the smallest on top. When I ponytail my hair is had to be exactly centered, not too left or right.

I used to be much worse years ago... blink.gif
Usurper MrTeapot
Anotherone is that I always prefer to be on the right of someone.
artist.unknown
). All my schoolbooks have to be stacked so the biggest is on the bottom and the smallest on top.

I'm such a squirrelly little freak about that. Everything has to be piled. Everything. I go around my room making little piles of notebooks and crap, and they have to go a certain way, like large to small. My bookcase is arranged by genre and the colour of the spine. I won't go in stores where things are piled incorrectly because I want to start rearranging stuff and it makes my head hurt. --;;

I also go around fixing people's tags. I hate it when tags stick out of clothes. I am, unfortunately, widely disliked for this. Heh.

I won't touch metal. I have to wrap my hands in my sleeves before I'll hold it.

I can also wake up at 11:11. And 3:33.

Mike, if when naming a compulsive habit you happen to notice I have it as well, it's a pretty good guess it's OCD. *bonk* hee
Forever Unknown
I say a lot of things in my head phonetically. It started as fun but ended up as habit. Ribena, duvet, grand prix, etc. I have some problems saying words anyway, when nervous, so that frame of mind isn't helpful. But is often amusing.

When eating a meal, I always save the best 'till last, and the last bite has to be a mixture of the loveliest things.

I once knew someone who had to turn a light on and off 10 times before leaving a room. Now that's OCD.
gothictheysay
I also go around fixing people's tags. I hate it when tags stick out of clothes. I am, unfortunately, widely disliked for this. Heh.

Ooh! Me! Me! *raises hand* Most people just go "There's a tag there", but if I know them well enough, I do it for them...I have not gotten a shortage of weird looks.
I once knew someone who had to turn a light on and off 10 times before leaving a room. Now that's OCD.

That was me a few years ago...except it had to be one of the magic numbers 2, 4, 8, 16, and on bad days 32...
dancing hamster guy
Whenever I hear someone walking down the stairs I hide behind the door and scare them when they come through. I find it hilarious - my family don't!
exceptional1709
When I'm in the car I always count the cars parked down both sides of the street and unless there is exactly the same number along both sides it drives me insane!
Well, um, more insane than I already am, of course.
laenan kite
i like to light matches/candles and just sit watching them burn.
it calms me down.if anyone calls me a pyro ill burn their house down! dry.gif
lygophilia
QUOTE (snoo @ Sep 26 2004, 12:21 PM)
I also have conversations in my head which never get anywhere but between my ears.
Doesn't everybody do that? unsure.gif

--And I may have said this way earlier in the thread, but I don't feel like checking. I've done the whole eyebow-pulling thing. I think it's supposed to have to do with stress. And I actually pulled them out if I could. I figured if I can pull them out, they shouldn't be there. Well, it made sense at the time... wink.gif Yes, there was a time when I had no eyebrows whatsoever. It looks very alien-like. I drew them on everyday, and pretty darn good, might I add. happy.gif (Of course it took a while, being the perfectionist I am. And I mean a while. I think 45 minutes sometimes.) I was able to give them more of an arch; mine are pretty straight, not all pretty-looking. dry.gif They make a big difference in the way you look.

--Also, I'm an organization freak. Not a clean freak; at the moment my room is a mess (kinda got messy when I had too much to do, AKA hell...AKA school, and just threw everything somewhere, mainly on my bed. Thank god I have a queen-sized one. happy.gif). Even as a kid, when my room was constantly a mess (having spaces for your feet to go when walking when it got really bad. happy.gif), it was organized to me; I knew exactly where something was.
--I organize my backpack pretty regularly, putting papers in their correct folders, trying to not have any outside on its own, unless I'm going to use them soon. I always keep it all in a certain order. Hobby stuff (my folders of: poetry, drawings, my own papers, and magazines) go in the back. Next come my folders, which stay in the order of my classes, followed by my spiral notebooks, also in order of classes. I'd have each sit by the folder of the same class, but then it would be big folder, smaller notebook, big folder, etc. Small stuff goes in front, like my planner. ... I'm sure you just wanted to know what my obsessiveness was, right? Not how I organize my stuff? blush.gif

--For me, everything has to be equal and fair right down to stupid stuff. If I hurt my hand a little, I purposely hurt the other (just a bit) to make it equal, otherwise I'm off balance. If I use something (I can't think of an example) a lot, then I have to start using the other one. Like which cd I listen to, although that isn't one of mine so much; I have so many, it's definitely not equal. But you get the idea.

--I do count things often, including amount of steps, money, etc.

That's all I can think of right now.
arachnidoc17
OCD is always made fun of when it's not an insider joke. Bobby Neurotic is a particularly hilarious Hertzfelt comic on OCD.

Anyways, I have a particular habit of folding my earlobe.
laenan kite
what is ocd?
Righteous
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 21 2003, 11:07 PM)
I flick my cigs every 5 secs when smoking.

I'm worse. I do the same thing, even if it's not lit. It annoys the Hell out of my friends.

OCD is obsessive-compulsive disorder. Technically it's a biological brain disorder where a person has reocurring and unwanted thoughts and/or a need to persom repetative and rigid actions. For example, my little cousin has OCD and constantly washes his hands.

Used informally, though, it usually refers to a tendency to have a particular habit or ritual or focus heavily on something monotomous, like, say, your older brother putting the TP on the wrong way because he knows you hate it with a passion. wink.gif
El Nino
I'm always talking to myself
dancing hamster guy
I keep prank calling the phone box down the road - don't ask?!?
exceptional1709
I'm always talking to myself

Yeah, I talk to myself too. And you know how people sing along to their walkman on the bus or something, if i have a tune stuck in my head (which I do all the time), I either sing random notes from it at weird moments or dance to it randomly. Everyone stares at me, but hey, it's fun!
arachnidoc17
QUOTE (Righteous @ Oct 13 2004, 07:53 AM)
QUOTE (LoLo @ Sep 21 2003, 11:07 PM)
I flick my cigs every 5 secs when smoking.

I'm worse. I do the same thing, even if it's not lit. It annoys the Hell out of my friends.

OCD is obsessive-compulsive disorder. Technically it's a biological brain disorder where a person has reocurring and unwanted thoughts and/or a need to persom repetative and rigid actions. For example, my little cousin has OCD and constantly washes his hands.

Used informally, though, it usually refers to a tendency to have a particular habit or ritual or focus heavily on something monotomous, like, say, your older brother putting the TP on the wrong way because he knows you hate it with a passion. wink.gif

Maybe a recurring thought that a light isn't off, even after you turned the switch to the off position, and saw the light off. The person would then turn the light on, then off again, to make sure it was inded off, all repeating in an unfortunate cycle.
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Sep 24 2004, 11:43 PM)
but the funniest I guess is my fixation on time. I obsessively check the minutes. And if the number counts up or down, z.B. 3:45 or 5:43, or if it repeats, z.B. 3:33, I stop what I'm doing and wait until the minute's up. I just stare at my watch and don't move. Well, except to breathe. So...yeah.

I do the same thing! It annoyed the heck out of my friend when I lost my watch and had to use hers!
"What time is it now?"
"it's 5:55."
5 secounds later....
"is it 5:56 yet?"
"WHAT?"
(a little slower)
"I said is it 5:56 yet?"
"that dosent make since."
"I know, but is it 5:56 yet?"
"yes! it's 5:57!"
"okay, countinue..."
I don't think I ever explained to my friend why I kept bugging her...
depressed lonely crazy person
when im eating m&ms i have to emty all of them out and sort them by color. then i eat each color until there is an even amount of each color. then i eat one green, then one red, then one brown etc.. until theyre all gone. if i dont do that i feel sad and guilty because one color didnt get treated as well as the others... i know im a freak...

i do that too it drives my mum up the wall. when i was little i tried to see if there was a difference in taste between colours.

i play a game when i'm being driven somwhere in the car that i can only breatgh in when i'm in shadow and only breath out when i'm in light wink.gif

i wash my hands,face,feet and wrists a thousand times a day

i have eaten the same thing for lunch in the same bowl with the same cutlery everyday for 3 years....mmm laksa noodles

i straiten things when they're on the coveyer belt at the supermaket and if oi don't i get jumpy and stressed

my shoes are aranged and rearanged every week by a different method

my clothes are hung on different coloured coat hangers acording to whether they are shirts, skirts or pants and i have dark and light versions of the color to seperate long sleeves or skirts from short sleeves or skirts and all my coats are on red hangers. once when my brother wanted to uset me he intentionally put my clothed on different hangers.

my underpants and socks are folded and lined up in their draw

i don't know left from right properly so when my mother asks me to look on the left hand side of somthing my hands go up( if you hold your hands up palm facing out then your thumbs shold point in naturally left is the side that looks like and L when you do this) i guess i'm lucky i'm not dyslecsic

i'll think of more later
Righteous
I have a phychotically long and involved ritual with shuffling cards. It spawned from my search for absolute randomness and my love of solitaire. Now my friends refuse to let me be the dealer.

My shirts are organized in three categories: Whate and gray, colors (dark green and dark blue always) and black. Next to them are longsleeves, sweatshirts I don't wear, flannels I don't wear and jumpsuits (I have three).
exceptional1709
I hold my breath when I'm going through tunnels and under bridges in the car... torture if there's a traffic jam in a tunnel!
Righteous
I have to tuck people's shirt tags in when I see them out.
gothictheysay
I have to tuck people's shirt tags in when I see them out.

I do this obsessively, including to people I hardly know...
Forever Unknown
To you tag-tucker-in-ers,

Thank you.

I'm one of those people who always have their tags sticking out, and it's good to have someone who's vigilant about it so you don't have to be!
Mata
I often have the urge to tuck in people's tags, but usually I do the "6-foot-plus odd looking guy reaching for person's neck" calculation and either resist or try to politely get their attention and mention it.
mooooooooooopo
I have a weird habit of counting the number of cars I see when I'm in a car. The number must be even by the time I get to the destination or I feel physically ill. It causes much weirdness and selectively looking in certain directions to make sure it stays even. O_O
VVes
I have a number of little obsessive/compulsions... but the first ones that come to my mind are:

Counting how many like colored cars are around me while I drive.

I never use my hands to hold/push/pull doors at restaurants, I always use my feet/forearms/elbows. And yes sometimes people think I am mentally challanged.

I never like to stop a song before it finishes before I turn off and get out of the car, I have to listen to it till it ends. I have been known to be late for class because of this!

I have to set my cell phone on the table while at a restaurant, perphaps I figure if I see the flashy lights instead of reaching for it every time I hear someones cell ring tone it will make me look in control?

I never ever, put on a shoe and tie it before I put on the shoe on the other foot. I put both shoes on then I proceed to tie the knots in reverse order.

Ah, now I feel.... normal!

happy.gif
Righteous
I never like to stop a song before it finishes before I turn off and get out of the car, I have to listen to it till it ends.

My brother hates it when that happens. Once he punched me in the head for stopping the car in the middle of "Paranoid."
voices_in_my_head
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 17 2004, 09:42 PM)
I often have the urge to tuck in people's tags, but usually I do the "6-foot-plus odd looking guy reaching for person's neck" calculation and either resist or try to politely get their attention and mention it.

when I read that I got a mental image of a 7-foot person reaching down to someone's neck, and then pictured security rushing up... oh, how i amuse myself...
some times my dad get me to stamp his paper work with the"completed" or "file" stamps. When i do this, I have to make sure the stamp is in the exact place, at the exact angle o every single paper. there is usally mor than 20 of them too.
Black-Wings
I always have to roll up my sleeves... I think it's because at school my jumper only reaches half way down my arm so I constantly roll them up to avoid looking like an idiot....

I also have to brush my hair whenever I see a hairbrush... I just have to... no reason..

Ooo, and when I talk.. I always make this kind of tutting noise inbetween every few words... although I didn't actually notice that I did it until my friends got angry at me for doing it...
exceptional1709
I have a weird habit of counting the number of cars I see when I'm in a car. The number must be even by the time I get to the destination or I feel physically ill. It causes much weirdness and selectively looking in certain directions to make sure it stays even. O_O

I do something like that as well, except I have to count the cars that go by on each side and there has to be the same number on each side by the time I get to where I'm going.

When I'm in a room with a piano I HAVE to go and play something on it, even if just one note- it drives people insane and can be embarrassing in situations where it's someone else's piano, I'm in a music shop, etc.
little_bear
When I'm playing a video game, if it's in a boring bit, or I have to wait for something to happen, I absolutely must jump on a nearby table, or shoot rounds off into the walls, or continually change weapon.
voices_in_my_head
When I first read that I thought you meant jumping on a table in real life... and I was a bit scared about you shooting rounds of the walls in your living room...
little_bear
Oh, I do that all the time, natch tongue.gif
Black-Wings
When I'm on the computer and it's taking its time then I just randomly scroll up and down or pull boxes about and highlight random sections of text.
Righteous
I do that too, Black-Wings.

I also have to be drinking something either while or after I smoke. I don't really know why.
exceptional1709
QUOTE (Black-Wings @ Dec 19 2004, 11:39 PM)
When I'm on the computer and it's taking its time then I just randomly scroll up and down or pull boxes about and highlight random sections of text.

Doesn't everyone do that? They don't? Oh.

I also have to chew my pen whenever I'm writing and take a break for some reason... and every so often I put the wrong end in my mouth and end up with blue ink dripping down my chin... yuk.
elf
on my mp3 player, i HAVE to have an odd number for volume or a number that ends with 4, and i HAVE to have it on hold to control myself from skipping over every song which leaves me with nothing to listen to @~@
Forever Unknown
I also have to be drinking something either while or after I smoke. I don't really know why.

Ooh, I have that too. I thought I was the only person in the world to do it. It's just not a good cigarette without a drink.
VVes
QUOTE (little_bear @ Dec 19 2004, 11:06 AM)
When I'm playing a video game, if it's in a boring bit, or I have to wait for something to happen, I absolutely must jump on a nearby table, or shoot rounds off into the walls, or continually change weapon.

...ah yes!

Also, if it's way too boring or easy, I frag(kill) civilians & friendlies alike, I self destruct alot or I try to play the game by ear, eyes closed to see if I can navigate the bloody thing by memory. I lurve GAMEFLY*. It's cheap and feeds my gaming appetite!

*GAMEFLY, a game rental service for all game deck platforms.
Righteous
If I rent a movie, I have to watch it over and over and over so I can appreciate it all. The thing is, there are few movies I can watch over and over. That and my friends get pissed when they come in and I'm watching Haggard or Dazed and Confuzed for the umpteenth time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.