Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Authentic Mata Or Knock-off?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Neferisis
I just saw a seg-way between shows on VH1 that was distinctively Mata -- two kittens done up like Axl and Slash singing Welcome to the Jungle. Is this authentic Mata or did VH1 copy his work?
elf
Welcome to the Jungle? Off topic but who sings that? I've wanted to download that for a while.
Neferisis
Guns N' Roses
elf
Hehe, thanks.

I don't watch VH1 so I wouldn't know. Sorry.
vicrawr
Sounds familiar. I think they're from Rathergood.com

They've got 'em singing stuff like Led Zeppelin and such
cheese is funny
the guy from rathergood works for VH1 to create those commercials
Mata
Yeah, that sounds like Joel's stuff.

One of the reasons I made my Ace of Spades animation was that I think Joel should push himself a bit more with his animations, singing animals are pretty much all he ever does and while they're good for about twenty seconds by that point you've pretty much seen it all... Off course, when you're in advertising you don't need more than twenty seconds, which is why he's making a tonne of money and I'm still skint!
leopold
Harry Enfield once said he thought Paul Whitehouse wasn't funny enough as his brand of comedy writing was based around a swift sketch leading to the ubiquitous catchphrase, and that it wasn't really all that funny and too repetitive. That said, it was Paul making all the money, and Harry was the one struggling along and quite obviously jealous of Paul's success.

*ahem*

Of course, this analogy breaks down when you compare Mata to Harry. For a start, Harry is a talentless tosspot and doesn't deserve the success that Paul has. Mata, on the other hand, should be making the money here, as Joel is very much a "throw it on the page and see what happens" merchant.

To be fair to Joel, he does do the Blode toons and those one-offs as well. But yeah, he doesn't really push himself. He gives his (and VH1's) audience what they want, a quick jokey singing cat toon, which is prolly why he's minting it now.

Mind, I think there's another reason the corporate sector picks him (and maybe soon Jon, the Weebl guy) as most corporate web connections are filtered by firewalls - their sites are wide open to be viewed, but yours is blocked by the stock filters that they apply. Maybe you should try aiming a few things in that direction using a site that isn't blocked, perhaps? Or maybe writing to WebSense (and their ilk) to get your block removed from their stock filter list?
WeeJ
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 2 2003, 12:56 PM)
One of the reasons I made my Ace of Spades animation was that I think Joel should push himself a bit more with his animations, singing animals are pretty much all he ever does and while they're good for about twenty seconds by that point you've pretty much seen it all... Off course, when you're in advertising you don't need more than twenty seconds, which is why he's making a tonne of money and I'm still skint!

As we've discussed before, you're lack of morals are holding you back in my opinion. I would have let in the adverts ages ago. You need money in your life, food in your cupbaord and beer in you belly laugh.gif One or two adverts aren't always that much of a problem...especially considering that everyone here will want you to be earning more money so they're more than likely to understand.
CommieBastard
Mata piracy is a crime. Demand genuine Mata from your music channels.

On the subject of advertising, my problem always was that it makes one dependant on those for whom one advertises for income.
Phyllis
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Nov 2 2003, 07:43 AM)
As we've discussed before, your lack of morals are holding you back in my opinion. I would have let in the adverts ages ago. You need money in your life, food in your cupbaord and beer in you belly laugh.gif One or two adverts aren't always that much of a problem...especially considering that everyone here will want you to be earning more money so they're more than likely to understand.

I certainly would. In fact, I'd be happy for you because it'd mean you were making more money...which you definitely deserve. But, in the end the choice is up to you. smile.gif
acidteardrop
i agree mata should use adverts to keep funding higher. banner ads are ok (just try to avoid popups...theyre so damn annoying).
Pikasyuu
I certainly wouldn't mind pop-ups if it was for Mata's benefit.

Can't say anything already been said here, it's all just very agreed that Mata ought to be the one making money aside from the other flash toons artists making it big on the same old thing time and again. 'Least Mata can pimp variety.
elf
Hrm...

I guess I might even pay for a small link on Mata's site to my forum XD How much you want, Mata? I don't have PayPal but I'm willing to send concealed cash in the mail...
Mata
QUOTE (leopold @ Nov 2 2003, 03:25 PM)
Harry Enfield once said he thought Paul Whitehouse wasn't funny enough as his brand of comedy writing was based around a swift sketch leading to the ubiquitous catchphrase, and that it wasn't really all that funny and too repetitive. That said, it was Paul making all the money, and Harry was the one struggling along and quite obviously jealous of Paul's success.

*ahem*

That's a fair point in some respects, I admit that I am a little envious of Joel's success but I'm also aware that his work caters for the media market more accurately than mine does.

I've always been about making a high quality product, usually with references to other media and sometimes with a larger overall scheme. Joel's work is about quick'n'dirty Flash that makes you giggle when you first look at it.

The trouble is that I just can't help myself! I don't feel like I'm really doing my job right if all I do is bang together a quick animation in five hours. For example, the Ace of Spades animation took my ages, if had lip-synching and a bit of a story. If Joel had done it there would have been one background and the same old animation loops that he uses for all his other singing kitten animations. I could work like that, but I really don't want to.

A lot of it comes down to our style of comedy, Joel is a one-liner kind of guy whereas I tell stories that amuse people throughout and maybe have a punchline at the end too. Of course, Joel's style is far more appropriate for the attention-deficient media targets, while my own requires a great degree of control and forethought. Neither is really better or worse but it's obvious which one will lead to greater short-term success. Long-term success... Well, I'll let you know in a few years!

Advertising: I don't know. I really don't like adverts on webpages... I'll think about it. Again.
CommieBastard
Interesting, since in the "T-shirt Sale" thread you say you've had both your record number of visitors and a very low number of t-shirt sales in one month. Personally, I think that advertising is a small price to pay to help keep Matazone online, but it's your site, and gods know I'm not trying to tell you what to do.
prezgfish
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 3 2003, 11:27 AM)
That's a fair point in some respects, I admit that I am a little envious of Joel's success but I'm also aware that his work caters for the media market more accurately than mine does.

I've always been about making a high quality product, usually with references to other media and sometimes with a larger overall scheme. Joel's work is about quick'n'dirty Flash that makes you giggle when you first look at it.

The trouble is that I just can't help myself! I don't feel like I'm really doing my job right if all I do is bang together a quick animation in five hours. For example, the Ace of Spades animation took my ages, if had lip-synching and a bit of a story. If Joel had done it there would have been one background and the same old animation loops that he uses for all his other singing kitten animations. I could work like that, but I really don't want to.

A lot of it comes down to our style of comedy, Joel is a one-liner kind of guy whereas I tell stories that amuse people throughout and maybe have a punchline at the end too. Of course, Joel's style is far more appropriate for the attention-deficient media targets, while my own requires a great degree of control and forethought. Neither is really better or worse but it's obvious which one will lead to greater short-term success. Long-term success... Well, I'll let you know in a few years!

Advertising: I don't know. I really don't like adverts on webpages... I'll think about it. Again.

but the both of you have something in common use both hardly ever update anymore.

mata i guess its because of the complexity involved and the time you take over the animations

joel - mastercard gave him money to make adverts and he's been doing that since and hasn't updated in ages.

although his colaberation with weebl (mr stabby) was absolutly brilliant

have you ever or would you ever collaberate with another web animation creator?
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 3 2003, 03:27 AM)

Well, if you honestly feel that it's wrong, then I'd say don't do it.

But, I think if you decided that the money was worth it, everyone who is a fan of your site would understand. Running this place is obviously costs a lot for you to do...and I don't think anyone would be angry at you for trying to actually make money from it.
WeeJ
Put it this way...advertising would give you a little more income. Obviously.
Weebl gets away with a nice, tasteful advert. As you've seen, people are more than willing to have a bit of eye stabbing from adverts for the sake of you having a bit more of a healthy bank balance...but as Cand said, its your choice smile.gif
MrBrick
If you do consider introducing banners, I'd avoid joining a rotation scheme. The "somethingawful" method (used by weebls stuff also) is a better bet as gives you control over who and what you advertise. If, say, you keep a rotation of 20 adverts a month, you could probably enjoy a revenue of 300 during that period, based on the average cost for the marketing at present.

If you want some more details, or me to knock up a rotation script, give me a mail, Mata. You know where I am smile.gif
Mata
QUOTE (prezgfish @ Nov 5 2003, 12:06 AM)
but the both of you have something in common use both hardly ever update anymore.

mata i guess its because of the complexity involved and the time you take over the animations

joel - mastercard gave him money to make adverts and he's been doing that since and hasn't updated in ages.

although his colaberation with weebl (mr stabby) was absolutly brilliant

have you ever or would you ever collaberate with another web animation creator?

In order of appearence:

I intend to get back to more frequent updates except recently a lot of my time has been taken up with settling arguments happening on here and chasing various unreliable media people about things (which I spent most of the morning doing today).

The complexity of the animations has meant that they take longer to make, also I like experimenting with different styles. If I was happy to to stick with the same thing everytime I could probably produce them more quickly but I want to continue to give people something new and interesting as often as possible.

Joel's time has recently been taken up with paid work, the adverts you mention and various other things. He's doing rather well for himself these days I believe.

Mr Stabby is very good. Jonti (Weebl creator) is a good animator!

I've not really had the chance to collaborate with anyone. I'm not sure how it would work because I'm not in London near others in the same profession as me. Anyway, I think my attention to details would drive other people nuts!

I am seriously considering putting a banner on my site...
prezgfish
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 7 2003, 01:14 PM)
In order of appearence:

I intend to get back to more frequent updates except recently a lot of my time has been taken up with settling arguments happening on here and chasing various unreliable media people about things (which I spent most of the morning doing today).

The complexity of the animations has meant that they take longer to make, also I like experimenting with different styles. If I was happy to to stick with the same thing everytime I could probably produce them more quickly but I want to continue to give people something new and interesting as often as possible.

Joel's time has recently been taken up with paid work, the adverts you mention and various other things. He's doing rather well for himself these days I believe.

I've not really had the chance to collaborate with anyone. I'm not sure how it would work because I'm not in London near others in the same profession as me. Anyway, I think my attention to details would drive other people nuts!

also in order of appearance

woo hoo (not mtv is it?)

experimentation is good and i hope that one day you do learn to feel comfortable in a set style

pretty damn well aparently

weebl is a very good animator (actually i became a fan of the two of you in the same week thanks to mtv2 showing weebl & bob [or wobbl as it was on mtv] and Mr Snaffleburger)

you could do as was done with stabby one person does a story the other animates although i am sure you would have to trust the other person with your idea and vice versa

its your website why should you have to fork out a ton o' cash to make other people happy especially seeing as many people do free e-entertainmentr as a full time job and are free to enjoy other things too

also thank you for quick reply
Mata
QUOTE (prezgfish @ Nov 7 2003, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 7 2003, 01:14 PM)
In order of appearence:

also in order of appearance

woo hoo (not mtv is it?)

experimentation is good and i hope that one day you do learn to feel comfortable in a set style

pretty damn well aparently

weebl is a very good animator (actually i became a fan of the two of you in the same week thanks to mtv2 showing weebl & bob [or wobbl as it was on mtv] and Mr Snaffleburger)

you could do as was done with stabby one person does a story the other animates although i am sure you would have to trust the other person with your idea and vice versa

its your website why should you have to fork out a ton o' cash to make other people happy especially seeing as many people do free e-entertainmentr as a full time job and are free to enjoy other things too

also thank you for quick reply

Again in order:

MTV2 and others, yes. They're lovely but very disorganised.

Set styles are boring, chaos is fun!

And the rest don't really need answers.

So, it's happened, banners will be on the site. If anyone wants their own meesage up there without a link then it's yours for $10. I hope to one day have a marriage proposal on there! It would be nice if I could make the banners part of the community rather than just advertising smile.gif Here's hoping anyway!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 14 2003, 10:20 AM)
So, it's happened, banners will be on the site. If anyone wants their own meesage up there without a link then it's yours for $10. I hope to one day have a marriage proposal on there! It would be nice if I could make the banners part of the community rather than just advertising smile.gif Here's hoping anyway!

Omg....having a marriage proposal up there would be so adorable. happy.gif

I like the idea of having the banners a part of the community rather than just advertising. Good idea! smile.gif
CommieBastard
I'll get Lex to draw up a banner. Urban Freakshow will be in touch.
Mata
Cool, I look forward to it.

I really want to keep the banners as being part of the site and the people who visit it rather than just a way of selling stuff to people. I would love to have people putting up personal messages on there.

If someone did propose on here I'd happily put up the answer for free! biggrin.gif
Dedbutdrmng
Will you marry me?

You fool, you've already done a collaboration, it's just not animation.

Why I oughta....

Actually Mata I think adverts are a good idea, of course, you'd never find me whoring myself for a dollar*.

RJ

*Utter lie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.