Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ask Jonman
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
leopold
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 4 2003, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (leopold @ May 4 2003, 10:03 PM)
Dear Jonman,

I've got a problem...  I've got this really great online friend, an we've spent a lot of time chattin and emailin an such.  However, me time online has been takin over me life an I wanna cut back on it a lot, as it's havin a negative effect on me life.

That said, I don't wanna lose touch with her.  I've been tryin to explain to her why I'm cuttin back on the online time, but I seem ta keep puttin me foot in it an upsettin her...  I end up sayin stupid things like I'm chattin with her out of habit, when what I really wanna say is that I love her dearly an I want us to stay friends.

So me question is this...  can ya help me say what I want to tell her??  I'm not thinkin too clearly an I'm afraid I'll just end up losin a great friend cos I'm too stupid to tell her what I wanna say...

Yours,
None too happy

Dear Leo,

How's about just telling her that you love her dearly and want to stay friends? Cut the BS, and just be honest. Stop skirting around the issue: talk plainly. Tell her that you need to get back into the real world, but don't want that to impact your relationship, and that it's not a reflection on the way you think about her. Assuming all of that's true, which by the sounds of things it is.

I've been thinking about this kind of stuff a lot of late, thinking back on previous relationships that I've been through, and to be honest, I'm quite disgusted with myself at how little I actually expressed the way I was feeling in favour of saying what I thought they wanted to hear. I've since vowed to stop doing it, and to be brutally honest. So far, it's working well. Most people aren't actually used to hearing dead truth, and find it quite refreshing.

Anyway, hope that helps, big fella, and hope you still pop in from time to time.

Thanks man... I've been tryin to decide what to say for days now... I guess I shoulda asked ya this sooner rather than keep upsettin her (an me as well)
MistressAlti
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 4 2003, 05:54 PM)
dear jonman,

this has been bugging me lately... why do girls always say they dont look beautiful? it happened again today and when i said she was beautiful, she said i had bad taste in girls... can you explain it to me? im just a confused little boy that doesnt understand girls and ladies lol

Because we, invariably, believe ourselves ugly. The end. It has NOTHING to do with how we actually look.
Jonman
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 4 2003, 10:54 PM)
dear jonman,

this has been bugging me lately... why do girls always say they dont look beautiful? it happened again today and when i said she was beautiful, she said i had bad taste in girls... can you explain it to me? im just a confused little boy that doesnt understand girls and ladies lol

Dear Cheesy-baby

There's several schools of thought on this.

( 1 ): they're fishing for further compliments. This tends to be a losing hand for the fella, as you either respond with lame compliments in attempt to flatter her further, or you don't, which usually causes her to get upset. It's a tough one to deal with - can't give you any firm pointers, but I find that finding really bizarre compliments that she can't deny work really well. e.g. "wow, those shoes are awesome! where'ja get them?", "that lipstick really makes your eyes shine"

( 2 ): they have low self-esteem. Again, a difficult one. It takes persistence and sincerity to get over this one, by showing the girl over a period of time that you really do thing she's lovely. Hugs are a good start.

( 3 ): simple self-deprecation. If you say you look beautiful, you leave yourself open to be shot down in flames. Saying you don't means that the only way is up. It's a self-defence mechanism. Often as a result of low self esteem of course. Also, if you prance around saying how great you look, that's just plain arrogant. A bit of modesty goes a long way.

Good luck fella. Half the women in the world are completely mental, illogical, irrational and plain weird anyway. Most of the rest are emotional bombs waiting to go off. The small remaining number are bloody great. Tough to find though.

Hope that helps.
Jonman.
Jonman
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 4 2003, 11:10 PM)
Because we, invariably, believe ourselves ugly. The end. It has NOTHING to do with how we actually look.

Which is just plain stoopid, if you'll forgive me for saying so. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that's all there is to it. And for anyone with more than 3 brain cells to rub together, it works on so many more levels that size of tits, length of legs and narrowness of waist.

So, believing yourself ugly is a bit presumptuous, assuming that you know how everyone else out there thinks, and what they find attractive.

For instance, personally, I like girls with BIG butts. Skinny ass? Back of the queue. You there with the wobbly cheeks, in you come.
Jonman
QUOTE (leopold @ May 4 2003, 11:02 PM)
Thanks man... I've been tryin to decide what to say for days now... I guess I shoulda asked ya this sooner rather than keep upsettin her (an me as well)

Nay problems.

honesty really is the best policy
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 4 2003, 06:13 PM)
Good luck fella. Half the women in the world are completely mental, illogical, irrational and plain weird anyway. Most of the rest are emotional bombs waiting to go off. The small remaining number are bloody great. Tough to find though.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jonman. mad.gif

75% of the men in the world are insensitive, irrational, possessive bastards who are only looking for a pretty girl to marry so they're guaranteed a clean house and a steady screw for the remainder of their natural lives. mad.gif The rest are flakes.
Jonman
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 4 2003, 11:20 PM)
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Jonman. mad.gif

75% of the men in the world are insensitive, irrational, possessive bastards who are only looking for a pretty girl to marry so they're guaranteed a clean house and a steady screw for the remainder of their natural lives. mad.gif The rest are flakes.

Agreed.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 4 2003, 11:17 PM)
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 4 2003, 11:10 PM)

Which is just plain stoopid, if you'll forgive me for saying so. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that's all there is to it. And for anyone with more than 3 brain cells to rub together, it works on so many more levels that size of tits, length of legs and narrowness of waist.

So, believing yourself ugly is a bit presumptuous, assuming that you know how everyone else out there thinks, and what they find attractive.

For instance, personally, I like girls with BIG butts. Skinny ass? Back of the queue. You there with the wobbly cheeks, in you come.

I like big butts an' I cannot lie.. you other brotha's can't deny .. when a girl walks in with a' itty bitty waist and a round thing in your face you get SPRUNG.

Amen to the arse.
cheese is funny
now i feel bad... in which of these catagories am i in?
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 4 2003, 06:21 PM)
Agreed.

Oh, and I forgot to add "smartasses" to the list. Thanks for reminding me. mad.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 4 2003, 11:23 PM)
now i feel bad... in which of these catagories am i in?

*shrugs*

How the heck am I supposed to know?
craziness
i just have some comments to make here---

i am always brutally honest. it scares people, it makes them hate me, but its just wrong not to be. at least for me.

i dont think anyone can be born with low self esteem. something has to happen to you to make you think badly about yourself. for many girls, they would have good self esteem, but mean boys have told them "YOUR SO UGLY!!!! YOUR SO FAT!!!!!!!" etc, and after a while, you believe it.

one of my teachers said "if one person says it, then its an opinion. if 10 people say it, its truth"
so i believe it.
Jonman
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 4 2003, 11:24 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 4 2003, 06:21 PM)
Agreed.

Oh, and I forgot to add "smartasses" to the list. Thanks for reminding me. mad.gif

Sorry. My bad.
LoLo
Dear Jonman,

I love this thread.

Sincerely,
You Rock
Jonman
QUOTE (LoLo @ May 4 2003, 11:27 PM)
Dear Jonman,

I love this thread.

Sincerely,
You Rock

*blushes*
Pikasyuu
Dear Jonman --
What's your favourite Matamon?

- Syuutwo
Jonman
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 03:03 AM)
Dear Jonman --

- Syuutwo

My favourite Matamon? Not having been following that thread at all, I'd have to say it's Jonmander. His special powers include the ability to quaff large amounts of Matahol, the dispensation of sound advice, and the magical ability to be great in every way.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 5 2003, 03:23 AM)
Dear Jonman --

- Syuutwo

My favourite Matamon? Not having been following that thread at all, I'd have to say it's Jonmander. His special powers include the ability to quaff large amounts of Matahol, the dispensation of sound advice, and the magical ability to be great in every way.

Jonmanika and Jonmander? Whoa.
Jonman
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 03:24 AM)
Dear Jonman --

- Syuutwo

That's magic that is.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 5 2003, 03:32 AM)
Dear Jonman --

- Syuutwo

That's magic that is.

Indeed.
Jonman
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 03:32 AM)
Dear Jonman --

- Syuutwo

That's magic that is.

Indeed.

*flexes mod muscles*
MistressAlti
LOL. Quit being macho and come to the wedding party.
craziness
dear jonman,
my crazy parents have gone mad again. they like to set strange limits on me, and if i dont follow them exactly, they like to take away my internet. i am very confused. are they some type of weird sadists? i noticed that they also did strange things to my little brother. they made him go to bed at 9 oclock on a friday night, because he had to be up at 8 the next morning. ok....i understand they want him to get some sleep....but dude 9 oclock on a friday night?!??!? my brother usually goes to bed later than that on weeknights! and i go to bed at like 11 on weeknights. they make me. actually i believe they have limited that to 1030. oh well its 1040 and im still up and they havent yelled at me yet. tongue.gif also, i think they believe that all kids my age are so innocent, and we really arent. they act like i am some kind of convict sometimes! goddamnit! why does this happen to me??? i am the one always turning down drugs and everything. the people who do bad stuff never get caught dry.gif .
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 5 2003, 03:33 AM)
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 03:32 AM)
Dear Jonman --

- Syuutwo

That's magic that is.

Indeed.

*flexes mod muscles*

Reowr. - Openly stares. -
Oni Usagi
QUOTE (craziness @ May 4 2003, 10:35 PM)
dear jonman,
my crazy parents have gone mad again. they like to set strange limits on me, and if i dont follow them exactly, they like to take away my internet. i am very confused. are they some type of weird sadists? i noticed that they also did strange things to my little brother. they made him go to bed at 9 oclock on a friday night, because he had to be up at 8 the next morning. ok....i understand they want him to get some sleep....but dude 9 oclock on a friday night?!??!? my brother usually goes to bed later than that on weeknights! and i go to bed at like 11 on weeknights. they make me. actually i believe they have limited that to 1030. oh well its 1040 and im still up and they havent yelled at me yet. tongue.gif also, i think they believe that all kids my age are so innocent, and we really arent. they act like i am some kind of convict sometimes! goddamnit! why does this happen to me??? i am the one always turning down drugs and everything. the people who do bad stuff never get caught dry.gif .

It's because you resist the corporation.
All you have to do is give in to the corporation and everything will be better.

subliminal message: DEATH TO ZURIEL!
Jonman
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ May 5 2003, 03:34 AM)
LOL. Quit being macho and come to the wedding party.

No-de-can-do.

At work - airplane lands in 10 minutes, and I've got to go play with stuff on it.

boo. 7:45pm on a Sunday night, I'm at work, girlfriend waiting for me at home. Bumburgers.
cheese is funny
dear jonman,

i really want to get out of PE for the rest of the year (only 6 more weeks at this point in time) and im thinking of having a friend of mine brake my ankle so i can get out of it... do you think this is a good idea?

also, do you think its bad that im coming to you for my problems over my parents?
phoenix
cheese i won't allow it!!!

forge a doctors note instead
cheese is funny
my teacher sucks hardcore... she calls the doctors to confirm it... and on top of it all, i dont remember my doctors name... i havent seen him in... oh... two years...
phoenix
well....... then....

well i would get a teacher to call me out of class, buti don't think that would work out for you...... so i don't know

but ------ there will be no ankle breaking
cheese is funny
who not? ive broken bones before... it doesnt hurt...

when i broke my wrist, i opened a door with it...
Jonman
QUOTE (craziness @ May 5 2003, 03:35 AM)
dear jonman,

Dear Crazi,

If it wasn't for my brother still being as sound as ever, even after having a kid, I'd be convinced that having babies makes folk into dribbling idiots. I find it laughably contradictory that you have to wait until you're 21 before you can have a beer in this country, but you're entrusted with the right to bear children while you're still a teenager? I mean, what's all that about?

Anyway, rant over, back to your parents. I guess that at the moment, the only path available to you is to either do as they say, and keep your net access, or sod them, and the net too. They're really holding all the strings at the moment.

And it's a parent's natural tendancy to not realise that their kids are maturing, after all, for the first 10 years of your life, you're pretty much wide eyed and innocent, then BAM! Within a couple of short years, you go from being a kid running in circles singing stupid songs to a person with opinions, beliefs and independant thoughts. It can take some time for that to sink in. Especially if you're the oldest - you're trailblazing the path.

I guess that doesn't help much, but it's the best I got.
Jonman
Jonman
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 5 2003, 04:26 AM)
dear jonman,

i really want to get out of PE for the rest of the year (only 6 more weeks at this point in time) and im thinking of having a friend of mine brake my ankle so i can get out of it... do you think this is a good idea?

also, do you think its bad that im coming to you for my problems over my parents?

I think it's an extremely foolish idea, Capt. Cheese. I broke my ankle last year, and it's buggered now. I've got to be really careful of it whenever I'm doing any kind of sport, strap it up in supports and all sorts. All because I got drunk and jumped off something I shouldn't have done. Doing that on purpose and running a high risk of screwing yourself up for good is not clever, methinks.

And if it's only 6 weeks? Come on lad, take it on the chin.

As for coming to me with your problems, on reflection , it probably is a bit odd, asking for advice from some bloke you've never met from the other side of the world, yes.

Never mind, eh? There's some problems (this one for instance) that you probably wouldn't be best advised to take to your parents, eh?

Dr. Jonman, osteopath to the stars.
craziness
thanks jonman----
i have been rebellious since i could talk though.
my lines-
[age-1.5 years] "jessica, behave." "i not have!"
[age-3 years] "go to your room!" "how about you go to your room?"
[age-10 years] "you dont understand anything. i hate you."
those are my most infamous. but i have more.

and i dont think i was ever innocent either, i got my brother to steal cookies for me when i was 2, and i couldnt get in trouble, because he was the one doing it.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 5 2003, 05:11 AM)
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 5 2003, 04:26 AM)
dear jonman,

I think it's an extremely foolish idea, Capt. Cheese. I broke my ankle last year, and it's buggered now. I've got to be really careful of it whenever I'm doing any kind of sport, strap it up in supports and all sorts. All because I got drunk and jumped off something I shouldn't have done. Doing that on purpose and running a high risk of screwing yourself up for good is not clever, methinks.

And if it's only 6 weeks? Come on lad, take it on the chin.

As for coming to me with your problems, on reflection , it probably is a bit odd, asking for advice from some bloke you've never met from the other side of the world, yes.

Never mind, eh? There's some problems (this one for instance) that you probably wouldn't be best advised to take to your parents, eh?

Dr. Jonman, osteopath to the stars.

Dear Jonman --
What'd you jump off of? Being wasted is fun, yes? Plenty of memories.

- Syuu
leopold
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 4 2003, 11:19 PM)
Thanks man...  I've been tryin to decide what to say for days now...  I guess I shoulda asked ya this sooner rather than keep upsettin her (an me as well)

Nay problems.

Jon, just wanna thank ya for yer help. I was straight out honest wi her an we sorted everythin out. Looks like were gonna stay friends now, an that makes me happier than the happiest man in the world after bein given some stupendously good news...

Thanks again bud smile.gif
LoLo
Dear Jonman,

Tomorrow my moms going to have a surgical procedure. I have to bring her to the doctors and then sit around waiting for her call for me to come pick her up. I need to look for a job too, in fact I have an interview tomorrow. Do you think it would be inappropriate for me to go job hunting instead of vegging out in front of the TV waiting for her to be done so I can pick her up?

Sincerely,
Confuzzled
Jonman
QUOTE (syuu @ May 5 2003, 10:51 PM)
Dear Jonman --
What'd you jump off of? Being wasted is fun, yes? Plenty of memories.

- Syuu

I honestly can't remember.

How I haven't injured myself more in the past is a fricking miracle.
Jonman
QUOTE (leopold @ May 5 2003, 10:55 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 4 2003, 11:19 PM)

Nay problems.

Jon, just wanna thank ya for yer help. I was straight out honest wi her an we sorted everythin out. Looks like were gonna stay friends now, an that makes me happier than the happiest man in the world after bein given some stupendously good news...

Thanks again bud smile.gif

As I said, nay problems, and glad I could help.
Jonman
QUOTE (LoLo @ May 5 2003, 10:59 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Tomorrow my moms going to have a surgical procedure. I have to bring her to the doctors and then sit around waiting for her call for me to come pick her up. I need to look for a job too, in fact I have an interview tomorrow. Do you think it would be inappropriate for me to go job hunting instead of vegging out in front of the TV waiting for her to be done so I can pick her up?

Sincerely,
Confuzzled

Dear Lo,

Why don't you ask your mum if it would be OK with her - I'm sure that she supports you looking for a job, it's not like you're out having fun, is it? That way, if it's going to piss her off, you won't do it.

Hows that?
Raven343
Dear Jonman,

I have to fly in two weeks and I am afraid to. I have no choice though. Can you suggest anything to calm my nerves?

Sincerly,
Jet Lagged
cheese is funny
dear jonman,

i have a really bad attention span... i lose sight of what im s'posed to be doing very quickly... i should be doing my HW... then starting a rather difficult paper due in 5 weeks.. but im not... im here... and im posting... asking you for help... please... i need something... i cant let my grades slip now... its so close to the end of the year...

i was working... but i felt the need to come here...
Jonman
QUOTE (Raven343 @ May 5 2003, 11:46 PM)
Dear Jonman,

I have to fly in two weeks and I am afraid to. I have no choice though. Can you suggest anything to calm my nerves?

Sincerly,
Jet Lagged

OK, firstly, I dunno the reason for your fear. The whole terrorist thing? Or just general fear of flying?

Either way, you've come to the right man. Dunno if you knew, but for a living, I'm a flight test engineer. What this means is that I fly about on experimental commercial aircraft several times a week. So I'm in a good postion to answer your question.

So, here's the deal. Statistically, you're thousands and thousands of times more likely to die driving to the airport than on the plane. I'm not going to lie; very very occasionally, airplanes crash and people die. However, I've just done some research, here's the offical statistics from the US National Transportation Safety Board.

The exact figure for 2001 is 0.02 accidents every 100,000 commercial departures.

So, one in every 5 million flight departures is likely to kill you. To put that into perspective, one in 600,000 people will be struck by lightning at some point in their life. That's nearly TEN times more likely to happen than dying in a plane accident. Not exactly a common occurrance, being struck by lightning is it?

As for the terrorist issue, I've been flying commercially and for work for the last year a shed load, and I've seen airports all over the world. And let me tell you, security has tightened up ludicrously since 9/11. Aside from 911, which was hideous, there's been NO deaths due to terrorist attacks on aircraft. That says to me that the chances are pretty darned low.

Trust me, you're safer sitting on an airplane than crossing the street. The worst that'll happen is you'll puke into a paper bag.

Hope that helps,
Jonman
Jonman
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 6 2003, 01:15 AM)
dear jonman,

i have a really bad attention span... i lose sight of what im s'posed to be doing very quickly... i should be doing my HW... then starting a rather difficult paper due in 5 weeks.. but im not... im here... and im posting... asking you for help... please... i need something... i cant let my grades slip now... its so close to the end of the year...

Simple.

Turn the computer off.

All it takes a little movement of your finger, and BAM! Easy.

Get your hiney away from the machine, and your nose back in the books. Revise for 40 minutes, take a 15 minute break. Then, and only then can you come back online. Repeat.

Time yourself. Be strict.

That is all.
Free Psycho
QUOTE (Raven343 @ May 5 2003, 06:46 PM)
Dear Jonman,

Sincerly,
Jet Lagged

I don't know if this helps or makes it worse, but I always look out the window at the clouds and I'm not scared anymore. In fact, that's my fav thing about flying-they're just so unbelievably beautiful and unappreciated. I'm pretty sure it's just me though. <shrug>
cheese is funny
QUOTE (Jonman @ May 6 2003, 01:32 AM)
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 6 2003, 01:15 AM)
dear jonman,

i have a really bad attention span... i lose  sight of what im s'posed to be doing very quickly... i should be doing my HW... then starting a rather difficult paper due in 5 weeks.. but im not... im here... and im posting... asking you for help... please... i need something... i cant let my grades slip now... its so close to the end of the year...

Simple.

Turn the computer off.

All it takes a little movement of your finger, and BAM! Easy.

Get your hiney away from the machine, and your nose back in the books. Revise for 40 minutes, take a 15 minute break. Then, and only then can you come back online. Repeat.

Time yourself. Be strict.

That is all.

but if its not my comp... its my tv... or its my stereo (i like to sing along with my stereo...) and i cant work in silence... is there any sort of alternitive?
Jonman
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 6 2003, 01:38 AM)
but if its not my comp... its my tv... or its my stereo (i like to sing along with my stereo...) and i cant work in silence... is there any sort of alternitive?

So, you can't work with silence, but if there's noise you get distracted?

Seems to be like you're a bit screwed then.

Turn the TV off - having that on is just ridiculous. If you have to have music on, put on music that has no lyrics - classical, dance music, jazz, whatever. I find that less obtrusive.

Failing that, just turn the blinking thing off and buckle down to the books. Give yourself treats if you manage to stick to your schedule. Like posting for 15 minutes.

Now sod off and revise, you silly sod.
cheese is funny
i dont know what a sod is... but ill pretend its a good thing... ugh... i have to go... but... i cant... <despretly tries to get off for longer then 10 min>
Jonman
QUOTE (cheese is funny @ May 6 2003, 01:42 AM)
i dont know what a sod is... but ill pretend its a good thing... ugh... i have to go... but... i cant... <despretly tries to get off for longer then 10 min>

*points to door*

OUT!!!

See you in 40 minutes our kid.
craziness
put on relaxing music, no aquabats for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.