Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Stylr Association
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Polocrunch
This has been bugging me for absolutely ages. I get SO tired of people typing like they don't know where the caps lock or shift key is. Is there some kind of problem here? Are you so loathe to spend a few extra seconds of your endless hours online typing decently? Because it's worth it - I have so much more respect for people who bother to type according to the laws of grammar, spelling and semantics, and I'm not the only one. You look so much more intelligent if you type like an adult and not like a dylexic six-year-old. Really you do!

And no, I don't mind people who slip up, or who don't bother with capitals all of the time, or with people with a decent excuse (like being a dyslexic six-year-old), but when I can barely read what you have posted it really gets my goat.
Is it so much effort to take a little care when typing (don't answer the rhetorical question!)? It even becomes automatic after a while! There's little or no effort involved! Just please take the time and prove yourself to be more than a lazy imbecile - for the sake of the English language and my sanity.
Thankyou. <- See the full-stop? Now worship it.

[/plea]
killersquirrel
i happen to agree. even though i tend to not capitalize sentences and such, i don't enjoy deciphering posts written so poorly that i don't even want to write an example(besides, i'm lazy)

however, i don't see why you're bringing it up here. i've not seen a single post at this board (and i've been readinga LONG time) where truly hideous grammer/spelling was used. but i guess it was just a general rant...still, it seems pointed to people here *shrug*

and yes, since your post was on perfection in language, 'thankyou'? 2 words, deary...but you knew that

(all said in light manner, not at all bitchy...that's why i sometimes hate the net)
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
It's okay when you Instant Message somebody, but some people go overboard. I have one friend that's so bad with it, I can't understand what she's writing. Sometimes, I admit, I do it though. ph34r.gif
SteelWingedCherub
So its the spelling and grammar that your getting mad at, give us an example of a post that you have been unable to read in the result of the poster using bad spelling and grammar? I cant really comment unless I see an example of this
Polocrunch
QUOTE (SteelWingedCherub @ Nov 28 2003, 08:44 PM)
So its the spelling and grammar that your getting mad at, give us an example of a post that you have been unable to read in the result of the poster using bad spelling and grammar? I cant really comment unless I see an example of this

OK, Steel, you just presented me with a prime example. I have no idea what that second sentence (well, it's barely a sentence - just sort of separated by a comma) meant. Could you rephrase that slightly better? You know, using the real rules of grammar, and not the Steelian ones?
killersquirrel
makes perfect sense to me...people just speak differently, typing the way you speak is good. it provides for more natural conversations. 'sides, i don't see and blatant misuse of grammer.

i already pointed out the thankyou thing, i don't reallly feel like pointing out any more mistakes in your post(or previous posts) but if need be... tongue.gif
Polocrunch
I admit that I'm not word-perfect, but my writing is usually comprehensible. I don't really mind people using ellipsises or non-capitalised letters all of the time. The occasional slip-up is only human, but writing consistently badly is so unnecessary and annoying.

And thankyou is so how it is written. And the OED agrees with me - so ner!
spiffilicious05
laugh.gif Hey, I didn't know that it bugged you that much. And although I normally try to use correct grammar, I sometimes get too lazy and don't. So, I'll try to do my part by being grammatically correct from now on. Okies? biggrin.gif
Polocrunch
*Kisses spiffy*

God bless you, ma'am (I don't care if you're male or not!). God bless us, every one!
killersquirrel
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Nov 28 2003 @ 11:47 PM)
The occasional slip-up is only human, but writing consistently badly is so unnecessary and annoying.

then why did you feel the need to call the Cherub on her 'mistake' (as it wasn't really)...? if it was one tiny mistake in the midst of none others, why did you need to bring attention to it?
spiffilicious05
lol, Yes, I am a ma'am. Well...more like a miss, but you get the idea; right? Hehe, anyways, would you go post in my topic under daily life? I'm trying to get those of us forumers/posters who don't know eachother very well to bond tongue.gif

thanks hun!

::hugs and kisses::
gerbilfromhell
i just don't use capitals. otherwise, i think i'm fine. and capitals..... i just don't like them. i don't like my letters suddenly magically changing every time i press that shift key. and why must it be larger than the other letters? is it THAT important? stupid arrogant shift key. well, i refuse to press it to counter its arrogance! tongue.gif

does that qualify as a decent excuse?
Polocrunch
then why did you feel the need to call the Cherub on her 'mistake'

Because she entered the dreaded Hypocrisy Zone.

Gerb, you're usually a decent conversationalist. Sure, as supreme ruler of the STYLR Association I grant you full immunity.
But really, I'm not going to set a code or anything. I just happen to be an outspoken grammar-Nazi. And don't expect me to judge everyone like I did Gerbil. Judging is fun, but I really don't have that kind of authority.
MistressAlti
polo i lvoe u so muhc and stuff u r teh cooles evar and i thnk dis is da gratest asoseachun can i joine plz?
Polocrunch
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Runs from room holding head*
MistressAlti
whear r u goin? cum back!
Righteous
I'm sure everyone's noticed how obsssed with correct spelling and grammer I am (I think I'm the only one on this board who uses the word "whom" or semicolons instead of comma splices). However, I don't knock others for improper spelling or grammer. I can understand folks just fine on this board. I get annoyed sometimes (I have some OCD tendencies; it runs in my family) but I really don't think it's something to which one should dedicate a whole thread.
porcelainwarrior
meh...i was using proper grammar and stuff...for like a week, but i dont speak loudly or properly, i make up too many words and i often have to pause for wool-gathering purposes (damn slow brain! damnit i say!)...so i type how i talk. its mostly legible and, excepting typos, my spelling's alright...so nyargh!
Starfish
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Nov 28 2003, 05:12 PM)
And don't expect me to judge everyone like I did Gerbil.

When did you judge Gerbil in this thread? blink.gif The only person I saw you judging was cherub.

Or was that comment directed to Gerbil? Maybe you meant to say, "And don't expect me to judge everyone like I did, Gerbil." I'm not really sure what you're saying here because in the context of the thread you've never passed judgement on Grebil, yet the way you constructed your sentence, without a comma between "did" and "Gerbil," clearly indicates that you are not addressing him directly.

Could you please clarify your meaning.

**snicker** tongue.gif rolleyes.gif
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 29 2003, 12:08 PM)
I'm sure everyone's noticed how obsssed with correct spelling and grammer I am (I think I'm the only one on this board who uses the word "whom" or semicolons instead of comma splices). However, I don't knock others for improper spelling or grammer.

Are you? Really?

I was the spelling and grammar Nazi way before you ever stepped foot on this board. Watch whose territory you're treading on, fool.

Oh, and it's grammar for a start.

By the way... this thread was supposed to be somewhat funny. It's in the Daft forum! Chrissakes, quit taking it so effing seriously.
Pikasyuu
i R tEh SoRrY pOlOs, WuT r your RuLeS oN sTiCkY cApS?
Polocrunch
Don't worry syuu, I'm not going to be some kind of self-elected, witch-hunter general of a grammar Nazi. But, I will have to spank you and tie you up if you continue to type in such an awful manner. Same to you, Missy. Ya hear me!?

And thanks a lot, Righteous. I back you up in the Homophobia thread and you have the damned cheek to let me down in here. So much for friendship. dry.gif
Pikasyuu
wut r u tlakin bout polos dotn ty me up i not dat kin of gurl u kno dat dont be h8in k

i will cll teh copz on u bnodge is bad
CommieBastard
OMG LOLZZZ YUO ARE TEH LAEM!!!111 IM TEH L33T H4XXXORZZZ N I WIL HAXXOR your COMP if you DONT SOTP BEING SO MEEN POLSO!!!11````

Edit: Defeated by the txtspk filter. I sense the hand of Fuzzla in this...
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Nov 29 2003, 04:32 PM)
Don't worry syuu, I'm not going to be some kind of self-elected, witch-hunter general of a grammar Nazi. But, I will have to spank you and tie you up if you continue to type in such an awful manner. Same to you, Missy. Ya hear me!?

omg i luv spankigns they r teh best! plz give dem 2 me! your teh gratest polo!
Righteous
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Nov 29 2003, 04:53 PM)
I'm sure everyone's noticed how obsssed with correct spelling and grammer I am (I think I'm the only one on this board who uses the word "whom" or semicolons instead of comma splices). However, I don't knock others for improper spelling or grammer.

Are you? Really?

I was the spelling and grammar Nazi way before you ever stepped foot on this board. Watch whose territory you're treading on, fool.

By the way... this thread was supposed to be somewhat funny. It's in the Daft forum! Chrissakes, quit taking it so effing seriously.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the floor...

Sit down, have some cocoa and calm your nerves a bit.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 30 2003, 11:09 AM)

Are you? Really?

o get out u h8r.

ee;
Righteous
H8!

I have ^this^ posted on my door. tongue.gif
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 29 2003, 05:09 PM)

Are you? Really?

That's IT. Really. Get out of the thread.

Do you listen to anything I say, or just the parts that you can easily take out of context and comment over?

Seriously. Righteous. Shut up, and start listening to what we're really saying.

This thread is a joke.
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 30 2003, 11:14 AM)
H8!

I have ^this^ posted on my door. tongue.gif

In hooker lipstick? wink.gif
Zesty
I think it is KeWl 2 tYPE like this tank who berry MuSh. The moRe X-treme the better. A/s/l everybody? I am 20/f/none of your BusinesS.
MistressAlti
omg im frum none of your biznezz 2! we shud b freinds!
Pikasyuu
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 30 2003, 11:19 AM)
Missy, what did I ever do to you? Seriously. I have enemies I treat better than you treat me.

If you're going to act like a very off topic wounded puppy, let me direct you to the wonder and the glory of Personal Messages.

See? There's a little button at the bottom of her post.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (syuu @ Nov 29 2003, 11:21 PM)
QUOTE (Righteous @ Nov 30 2003, 11:19 AM)
Missy, what did I ever do to you? Seriously. I have enemies I treat better than you treat me.

If you're going to act like a very off topic wounded puppy, let me direct you to the wonder and the glory of Personal Messages.

See? There's a little button at the bottom of her post.

But that would defeat the point of FIGHTING THE POWER.
Zesty
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Nov 29 2003, 11:19 PM)
omg im frum none of your biznezz 2! we shud b freinds!

4 shizzie!
Righteous
a nuther meen insalt 2 me, DELETED! - MissyA
Zesty
y'all shouldn't be so hard on each other.....

NoW KiSs & make UP
SteelWingedCherub
(I know this reply is a little late in the discussion but im going to say it anyway)

What do you mean that my post is a “prime example” anybody with a half decent IQ would be able to understand what I said and the context in which I was saying it in. From reading your original post I see that you “don't mind people who slip up”,
Well aren’t you slightly contradicting yourself when you criticize me for a slight mistake?

I personally don’t mind people writing freely but it does have to have its boundaries. I don’t believe that you should have to ensure that all of your posts are grammatically correct all the time, you can save that for school college whatever when it actually matters.
However I do agree with you when you ask people to make a little effort in their posts but that’s all. I don’t judge peoples intellects by their ability to write grammatically perfect, but from reading your original post once more I think that’s what you are beginning to do.

Oh and when replying to killersquirells post you said that you corrected me because I was entering the so-called “dreaded hypocrisy zone” please expand on this statement
Polocrunch
Dammit, Steel, you should know by now that I hate justifying myself!
OK, well you were arguing against the need for more care over grammar whilst using very poor grammar and semantics. I appreciate that it was a minor mishap, and that I was quick to judge, and as such I am sorry. Let's try and keep this a little more light-hearted - no-one likes someone who tries and proves Polocrunch wrong now, do we? People like that are called "losers". tongue.gif
gerbilfromhell
omg ritus, u liek n33d 2 taek a joek!111!!1! its al a joek, geddit? eevn teh insltus

(in english: missy's joking, righteous. notice how she was saying 'it's a joke. it's in daft' a lot? she's saying that she's joking. except that she WAS the grammar nazi before anyone else. that part's true.....)
Polocrunch
Heil Missy! She vill not tolerate any of zer stupid Englander lingvistic idiocies.
Faerieryn
Ok guys as you have probably guessed by now I am an english teacher. My grammar stinks so I can understand why pepople would have a moan about me in that way but I do have to say that bad spelling or the use of incorrect homophones really bugs me and I wish people would check which spelling of your is correct. This is my rant. I will now say a customary GGGGGGRRrrrrrrr and then return to my dastardly grammar checking on my students work. Oh and although I do have to mark it wrong sometimes I really can't stand apostrophe's. In my mind they belong wherever they want to so NAH!! tongue.gif
Zesty
now i no Y ppl type like ThiS.
it is v. re1aXing and non-conTrovErsial.
Phyllis
Bumpity!

For 2 reasons:

1. This thread amuses me.

2. On a more serious note, I have been getting increasingly annoyed with poor spelling lately. I can understand if you have trouble with spelling, but it only takes a few extra seconds to run your post through a spellchecker. I have an address for one you can download that checks the spelling of things on IE (I'd have to search for it though). It just bothers me when it looks like people dont even try to make what they post the least bit readable.
EvilSpork
Good topic. I have to agree, Polo, people that don't even try to get some of it right piss me off. I probably get some wrong, but at least I try to use some correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

I also hate alternating capitals. It just boils my bunny rabbit.
emiliza
say wut? im hecka c0nfuzzled by wut u all meen. wuts da main purpus of dis? biggrin.gif
MistressAlti
i agree wit cand. dis is anoying way to raed a post.
Sir Maxerpopple
Raises hand guilty.

I don't look at the screen so much, trying to improve that.
emiliza
QUOTE (Sir Maxerpopple @ Jan 5 2004, 07:04 PM)
Raises hand guilty.

I don't look at the screen so much, trying to improve that.

*pat pat* It's ok hun. As long as it's not all fUnKy N sTuFf. =P
Sir Maxerpopple
No just spacing gets all wrong with words.

An dthat's why Ineed to wor kon it.

Ok that's more than usual, but you get the idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.