Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Stylr Association
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Forever Unknown
Oh, arse.

Well. I'm right in principle. I'm sure that's all that matters. Aside from the fact I was wrong.

Sorry, everyone! This is what happens when you research your arguments secretly at work, and therefore completely fail to read anything properly.

QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Jul 4 2005, 02:22 PM)
It's OK, we still love you.

I'm taking that as a promise, 'kay?

*slinks away*
Daria
How many kisses does it take to get a smile?

This many-> xXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx biggrin.gif
eleraama
Now see, I was always under the impression that x's (yes, that is proper to use the apostrophe, look it up) were hugs and o's were kisses, because your mouth looks like an 'o' when kissing and you r arms make an 'x' while hugging.
Misty Rain
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Nov 28 2003, 11:18 PM)
QUOTE (SteelWingedCherub @ Nov 28 2003, 08:44 PM)
So its the spelling and grammar that your getting mad at, give us an example of a post that you have been unable to read in the result of the poster using bad spelling and grammar? I cant really comment unless I see an example of this

OK, Steel, you just presented me with a prime example. I have no idea what that second sentence (well, it's barely a sentence - just sort of separated by a comma) meant. Could you rephrase that slightly better? You know, using the real rules of grammar, and not the Steelian ones?

Changing the grammar, punctuation or word order changes the meaning of a group of words in a way you will not understand or foresee.

Please go and look at the many examples on the internet of lazy and incompetent
writing. There is no need to ask better writers to look for you.

Perhaps, like a spam filter, there could be a silly writing filter that blocks writing with more than two mistakes in it.

Misty Rain
Kurruskita
I absolutely agree that people should try their best to be comprehensible. Being Spanish, I can understand English, but not that SMS-like writing some people use on the net. Not that I have seen it here often, I must say, most of posts I have read are in correct English. I can understand you use it when you send a SMS, but no one charges you for writing in forums, isn't it?

It pisses me off big time when I read it in Spanish forums, too, but most of times I am able to understand it (well, sort of), but if everyone was to write like that, I would simply stop reading English (and Spanish, for that matter) forums. In fact, I have tried to join English chats, but I just gave up. I couldn't understand a single word.

Cellphones and lack of reading have done a lot of pain to many languages. I am 30, and when I listen to my 20 year old brother talking, (I don't know what would happen if he ever writed to me) I sometimes feel we come from different planets.

By the way, forgive my mistakes (I am sure there will be many), but at least I have a good excuse tongue.gif
gothictheysay
Hmm. I seem to be seeing "every day" used as "everyday" a lot more now. Isn't "every day" a case in which "every" is the adjective for "day", and "everyday" is just an adjective? People seem to be smushing these two words together improperly. Not on the boards or anything, just in general.
Astarael
I try to spell and punctuate things properly as much as I can. I get very annoyed when people type a post with no capital letters or periods. Everything becomes one long incomprehensible run-on sentence that takes too much time and energy to bother reading.
uninspired pizza guy
For me it depends on how much free time i have. If i am in a rush, i will end up leaving most punctuatoin (sp) out. But i suppose it wouldn't hurt to spend an extra few seconds making it grammaticaly correct. Personally spelling is more important to me, and although i am unsure about some things, it does annoy me seeing consistantly bad spelling.
bryden42
Period vs full stop in a monsterly maniacal death match from hell.

Wo will win?

Do you have an opinion?

Do you care?

I personally feel that the American priod is a little wishy washy; being, literally, an indeterminate amount of time, as opposed to the British full stop; being, literally, a complete cessation.

just my oppinion... !!!

omg i am teh suxor at gramor roflmao
funky fairy
I like the full stop rather than the period.

I also have a problem with peoples grammar and punctuation. I have been known to send e-mails back to the sender with their grammar and punctuation amended!!

Its just polite!
bikerroc
Don't try that with me matey or else you'll be getting them returned full of words you can't even spell !! smile.gif
Astarael
QUOTE (funky fairy @ Sep 2 2005, 09:29 AM)

I also have a problem with peoples grammar and punctuation.  I have been known to send e-mails back to the sender with their grammar and punctuation amended!!

Its just polite!

It would be *peoples'* grammar if you want to pick nits. It would also be *It's* just polite. Having to correct things in threads like this always makes me laugh.
[/rampant Grammar Nazism]
silvermoon
QUOTE (Astarael @ Sep 4 2005, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (funky fairy @ Sep 2 2005, 09:29 AM)

I also have a problem with peoples grammar and punctuation.  I have been known to send e-mails back to the sender with their grammar and punctuation amended!!

Its just polite!

It would be *peoples'* grammar if you want to pick nits. It would also be *It's* just polite. Having to correct things in threads like this always makes me laugh.
[/rampant Grammar Nazism]

Wouldn't it be "people's" then, as people is already the plural form?
Astarael
QUOTE (silvermoon @ Sep 5 2005, 12:33 AM)
Wouldn't it be "people's" then, as people is already the plural form?

That depends on what English teacher you have (also on which grammar book). Two of my old English teachers disagreed violently about which form was correct, so I use whichever one comes to mind. My teachers have the nasty habit of disagreeing about essential things that should be standardized. sad.gif It annoys me greatly and confuses people who have chosen the other form.
silvermoon
On a similar note, what's up with "persons"? That's how it is written nearly everywhere I see, from the school handbook to the newspaper. I'd have thought those people would know better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.