Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Stylr Association
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
MistressAlti
QUOTE (emiliza @ Jan 5 2004, 09:07 PM)
QUOTE (Sir Maxerpopple @ Jan 5 2004, 07:04 PM)
Raises hand guilty.

I don't look at the screen so much, trying to improve that.

*pat pat* It's ok hun. As long as it's not all fUnKy N sTuFf. =P

No. It isn't okay. YOU MUST BE A PERFECT TYPER AND GRAMMARIAN ALL THE TIME.

wink.gif

Improvement is always good.
cheese is funny
i have never considered the way i type to be all that bad, really, but i have always wondered what others thought of the way my posts and grammar sound.

anyone care to give me an assessment or judging?
Phyllis
Your posts are fine, Cheese.

I think someone would have said something by now if they had a problem. You know, since there's so MANY of them.

tongue.gif
MistressAlti
No, Cheese, you're terrible. Really. You are. tongue.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (candice @ Jan 6 2004, 08:33 PM)
I think someone would have said something by now if they had a problem. You know, since there's so MANY of them.

You mean OVER FIVE PERCENT OF THE FORUM'S POSTS DEAR GOD WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP?

You think one day, Cheese will have so many posts that they'll cluster together, become self-aware and start destroying all in their path?
Phyllis
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jan 6 2004, 02:58 PM)
You think one day, Cheese will have so many posts that they'll cluster together, become self-aware and start destroying all in their path?

Yes. I think they call that an apocolypse, Sean.

/me runs in fear of Cheese's many, MANY posts

Oh and..uh...*Teh POLos is Teh BESTesT rOfL!!11oneoneone i lvu u tehp olso!*

Edited to be on topic...hehe. biggrin.gif
acidteardrop
I plot to get more posts than Jon, then seize him as my minion!

however, this isn't possible without breaking a big board rule, and I promise not to spam wink.gif

on topic: ...
Polocrunch
QUOTE (candice @ Jan 6 2004, 11:04 PM)
Oh and..uh...*insert something that is actually on topic here*

Seeing as I started the thread, I think,

"Teh POLos is Teh BESTesT rOfL!!11oneoneone i lvu u tehp olso!"

would be both appropriate and relevant.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Jan 7 2004, 03:02 PM)

and quite possibly true.

pOlos i sso funay I wuv hims to daeth dont u!?!?!?!?!
Phyllis
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Jan 7 2004, 01:02 PM)

its dun!!!1!

adn omg missy i wuvers him 2! hei s Sooooo funney!!!11!!!
Sir Maxerpopple
I just realized, in the subheading it says
"Stop TYping Like Retards"

laugh.gif
gerbilfromhell
yes. notice that it's called the STYLR association.

S=stop
TY=typing (but, since it's two letters in the acronym, it's TYping... that's the joke, now ruined because i had to explain it to you)
L=like
R=retards
Phyllis
QUOTE (Sir Maxerpopple @ Jan 7 2004, 06:21 PM)
I just realized, in the subheading it says
"Stop TYping Like Retards"

laugh.gif

ty, captin obvios!

polso taut me abotu ggeeese today!!!1!!!

hes sooooo smurt and funney!!!1!!
Sir Maxerpopple
Slow today, long day. Cut some slack for the tired one.
Polocrunch
ok sri mxxerpoplpe, her gOS:

8cutz sum slak 4 sir MAXxerpPle*

hav a nic edya!
Sir Maxerpopple
Aww, I'm not that bad.
Faerieryn
Can I just say that although I feel that there is little excuse for poor spelling I do thinkthat some people have an excuse for poor spelling. These include those of us who have dyslexia and other learning needs (and I know that some dyslexics have no problems with spelling, but I use it as an example so people will know what I mean by learning needs) and ( imean no disrepect to any one here) those of us who are drunk at the time of posting. I have spent many an evening in this fashion and feel that typo's poor grammar and spelling should be excused in this case. smile.gif
Polocrunch
Drunkeness will gladly be excused, for you make up for it with hilarity! I'm sure dyslexia doesn't affect your ability to use a spellcheck though, does it?
Sir Maxerpopple
It very well could.
Faerieryn
Spell checkers can have hilarious results. How many people have ever gotten a rude word out of one when you wanted something innocuous?
the lil' pie fairy
me, me, i have...inopportune chance for it, as well dry.gif
curious now...do i make grammatical sense?? huh.gif
leopold
Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee four two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.
Jonman
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Nov 30 2003, 04:13 PM)
....but I do have to say that bad spelling or the use of incorrect homophones really bugs me .....

yeah, me two. Dam those homophones, with their pink screens and their high-pitched ring tones...

*reads dictionary*

oh.....err....wright.....ummm, is that the thyme? I mussed be going.
Dreams On Hiatus
usually I'm pretty good with spelling and grammar. I don't always capitalize though, and I spell the as 'teh' on purpose sometimes.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 14 2004, 12:55 PM)
yeah, me two. Dam those homophones, with their pink screens and their high-pitched ring tones...

*reads dictionary*

*giggles* Ewe crack me up.
Marsyas
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 14 2004, 01:55 PM)
QUOTE (Faerieryn @ Nov 30 2003, 04:13 PM)
....but I do have to say that bad spelling or the use of  incorrect homophones really bugs me .....

*reads dictionary*

I must admit that you gave me a damn good chuckle with that one...
Thanks!
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Polocrunch
I hate to have to resurrect a bitter and twisted thread like this one, but recently a Grammar Crime of Thee Moste Heinous Proportions has come to my attention.

Yes, dear children, the Dreaded Ellipsis has struck the forums. The ellipsis, for those of you not in-the-know, is three full-stops, and looks like this: ...

Horrible, isn't it? Yes, my pretties, it is, before you start arguing your case. It's horrible to think that people have such terrible cases of epilepsy that every sentence they have a brief seizure, whereupon their hand involuntarily clamps down upon the full-stop button, helpless to prevent those two extra dots from spewing forth.

Well, I have a solution to this terrible affliction: a good strong dose of Grammar Nazism and stern look. You've already had the dose of Grammar Nazism, so here's the stern look:

*Gazes sternly at all ellipsis offenders*

Now be off with you! And let's hear no more of these "triple stops", or there'll be tears before bedtime.
Pab
... OO ... dude ... OO ... like ... ӷ ... but ... I can't live without my 3 dots ... or the word dude ... OO ... dude! ...
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I'm a really bad offender of this...

But it's an addiction - an ADDICTION I tell you!!! (see I do it with exclamation points too)

Everything just looks so much better in threes, threes, threes I say!!!

tongue.gif
Cath Sparrow
A Complaint From Miss C. Manners of Cheshire.

This Forum has left me with the terrible habbit of using to many Exclamation marks!!! And I cant stop it I even have to stop myself when typing reports for work!!! It's just no good I tell you!!! No Good!!!

Yours sincerly
Miss C. Manners!!!!

tongue.gif
Patient #212
You know... that's really only going to make me want to use the elipses more... and there's nothing you can do to stop me...

Mwahahahahaha...
Polocrunch
*Stabs Patient repeatedly*

Die ellipsisist! Die!
Patient #212
Nooooooo...

*Dies...*

[/complete and utter spam]
Ashbless
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ....
Nah, no cheeky individuals around here. None at all.
/probably spam./
Patient #212
Now that I've taunted you a bit, Polos-- why are the elipses so bad? True, I never use them in formal writing, but they're just damned convenient when you're typing conversationally. tongue.gif

Oh, look, I didn't use any! But I did resort to the use of a "--" and I can't remember if that's legal or not.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Patient #212 @ May 29 2004, 03:59 PM)
Now that I've taunted you a bit, Polos-- why are the elipses so bad? True, I never use them in formal writing, but they're just damned convenient when you're typing conversationally. tongue.gif

Oh, look, I didn't use any! But I did resort to the use of a "--" and I can't remember if that's legal or not.

I agree with the dead man. I can understand the need for correct spelling and grammer, but why not the three dot thing? All it does it give a better idea of how the words would be said if they were spoken.
hinsley
ellipsis' are for use in speech marks to mark a break in speech no? so is it legal if we use speech marks yes? i wasnt very god in english. lol.

and i just used no capitals.

*smacks head*

there, my punishment is over.

"..."

biggrin.gif
Polocrunch
The reason that ellipses aren't acceptable in normal typing it that, despite what you might think, they are not at all expressive. Their range of expression is extremely limited. The only thing they can indicate is a pause in speech, for which there are already a half-dozen accepted punctuation conventions. Why not try a line break? Or a comma? Or a colon? Hell, why not a semi-colon or a dash? These are much more varied and expressive forms of punctuation. They are also grammatically correct, which is the best bit. Why go for lazy punctuation when you can be so much more precise and accurate with standard punctuation?
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ May 30 2004, 09:22 PM)
The reason that ellipses aren't acceptable in normal typing it that, despite what you might think, they are not at all expressive. Their range of expression is extremely limited. The only thing they can indicate is a pause in speech, for which there are already a half-dozen accepted punctuation conventions. Why not try a line break? Or a comma? Or a colon? Hell, why not a semi-colon or a dash? These are much more varied and expressive forms of punctuation. They are also grammatically correct, which is the best bit. Why go for lazy punctuation when you can be so much more precise and accurate with standard punctuation?

Not wishing to start a fight, um, sir, but the three dotty thing expresses the trailing off of a sentence, inviting someone to reply or comment, or to spark interest. (I very nearly put three dots there)

Please don't hurt me (and there)
*cowers*
Mr Fuzzy
Personally I tend to use ellipses as the typed equivalent of putting my head to one side with a slightly thoughtfull expression. They certainly shouldn't be used every other sentence though, as is increasingly the case.
Tomoyo
*Appologies* I know... I use an unecessary amount of ellipses in my posts. I'm quite fond of them actually. I'm not sure exactly what I want them to express (in this post I think it is supposed to indicate a moment of silence where I hang my head in shame). I pause often when I speak in Real Life, so I guess it seems natural for me to attempt to immitate that in text. I'm sorry if I have offended the great Gods of Grammar.
kidvicious2punk
it doesnt really bother me when ppl mispell things...

it bothers me when people type like all perfect..

i dunno why..it just bugs me to see ppl go through the trouble of capitalization and stuff...

i dunno....i CANT watch like anime because it bothers me soo much to think that there are these ppl drawing frame by frame..im weird i know..lol
Phyllis
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ May 30 2004, 01:06 PM)
I can understand the need for correct spelling and grammer, but why not the three dot thing?

This is perhaps one of my biggest pet peeves.

Grammar is the correct spelling. So many people use "grammer." Far too often they're also trying to correct someone else's bad grammar. That's kind of humorous, in a way...but it still annoys me.

That being said...

OMDFG POLOS!!!!111....i luv teh dots!!! u r jsut a grammer nazi!! u cant make pplz stop usin em! tongue.gif

And now, THAT being said...

Kidvish, why does proper typing bother you? It's far easier to understand than text-speak. I almost gave myself a stroke typing that little paragraph up there. It doesn't require any extra effort, at all. I switched from zero capitalization to proper capitalization in one day. It's just like typing something for school. Well, not quite -- a bit more relaxed than that (by the way, the -- is allowed). Technically, ellipses are allowed as well...they're just supposed to be used when you've omitted something from a direct quote. tongue.gif Granted, we don't use them in that context here...but heh. I use it to simulate the way I actually talk, I guess. I'm not a fan of the semicolon...it seems pretentious to use on discussion forums. But the pauses I take warrant more than just a comma. So an ellipses it is. tongue.gif

Oooooh...idea! I must find a meme that incorporates ellipses in some fashion. A lot of them. And text-speak. I want to see if I can make Polo's eyes bug out. biggrin.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (candice @ May 31 2004, 03:40 AM)
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ May 30 2004, 01:06 PM)
I can understand the need for correct spelling and grammer, but why not the three dot thing?

This is perhaps one of my biggest pet peeves.

Grammar is the correct spelling. So many people use "grammer." Far too often they're also trying to correct someone else's bad grammar. That's kind of humorous, in a way...but it still annoys me.

That being said...

OMDFG POLOS!!!!111....i luv teh dots!!! u r jsut a grammer nazi!! u cant make pplz stop usin em! tongue.gif

And now, THAT being said...

Kidvish, why does proper typing bother you? It's far easier to understand than text-speak. I almost gave myself a stroke typing that little paragraph up there. It doesn't require any extra effort, at all. I switched from zero capitalization to proper capitalization in one day. It's just like typing something for school. Well, not quite -- a bit more relaxed than that (by the way, the -- is allowed). Technically, ellipses are allowed as well...they're just supposed to be used when you've omitted something from a direct quote. tongue.gif Granted, we don't use them in that context here...but heh. I use it to simulate the way I actually talk, I guess. I'm not a fan of the semicolon...it seems pretentious to use on discussion forums. But the pauses I take warrant more than just a comma. So an ellipses it is. tongue.gif

Oooooh...idea! I must find a meme that incorporates ellipses in some fashion. A lot of them. And text-speak. I want to see if I can make Polo's eyes bug out. biggrin.gif

Whoops. Didn't notice i'd done that. Sorry.
CommieBastard
Tch. People use dashes because there's really no wrong way to use them. There's not really a rule about them; people just use them in place of semicolons, except there is actually a correct usage of the semicolon. Like in that last sentence; replace the semicolon with a dash. Or in that one. Wow.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ May 30 2004, 11:42 PM)
Personally I tend to use ellipses as the typed equivalent of putting my head to one side with a slightly thoughtfull expression. They certainly shouldn't be used every other sentence though, as is increasingly the case.

Nor should they be used to link sentences...like I'm doing right now...though it can be a useful device...allowing me to drift serenely from one thought to another without actually ending a sentence...with the danger of inducing existential angst when the reader realises that the sentence will never end, instead being condemned to float in a grammatical Limbo...
Patient #212
Okay... fair points have been made of both sides, I think. They shouldn't be used constantly, and they shouldn't be used to form giant run-on sentences. And they're not good in formal writing. Well, I think I'll still be using them a bit-- for pausing and having sentences trail off uncertainly and linking little small things together as in the case of the introductory "Okay...". I'm sorry, but you'll just have to learn to accept the elipses in moderate use and set aside your Fascist, desciminatory ways, Polo. biggrin.gif
Polocrunch
See, I can bear the ellipsis in moderation and in appropriate circumstances, but when overused it becomes bankrupt as a piece of punctuation. Your example of "Okay..." is entirely appropriate, but the huge sentences that Commie gave an example of are totally out of the question.
Patient #212
Oh good... I'm glad we're all in agreement, then...

I'm just kidding... please don't kill me again...

Ah... immaturity... what fun...

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
gothictheysay
Read the book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss. It was a "#1 Runaway Bestseller" in Britian, it said. I love it. I could be an editor and enjoy it; I'm always scrawling corrections on formal writing. The ellipsis does come occasionally...but I actually use a lot more dashes than I should. However, I will twist things online to make the feeling different or if I just feel like being poetic. like not capitalizing things, or sometimes that's just me being lazy. whatever. I switch in and out of capitalizing anyways.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.