Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Percentage Of This Forum Are Goths
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
You deny me freshmaker?!
Just wonderinh how many Goths are on this site, as almost every profile I've read has the word goth or a very goth sounding user ID.
You deny me freshmaker?!
Damn my poor spelling...
Tarantio
nah, not me, though i do like the style. i just go with whatever style i feel like. for instance, i now have a beard. i also had my hair vertical for a while, and in a wolverine-style part too. as for clothes... well i usually just put on whatever is in reach in the morning. which is almost always jeans and a t-shirt (plain green, brown, black or with the Generation Terrorist logo). i really dont care how i look at all, which is handy sinse almost every day is a bad hair day for me...
LoLo
I'm not goth but people seem to think I am. I'm a complete and total t-shirts and jeans, no make up wearing, hair gets dried by the car vents type of girl. Looking goth requires much more effort on the behalf of my appearance than I am willing to put into it. Still so many people seem to feel that I am a goth girl, simply because I wear a lot of dark clothes, and I'm pierced, and I have tatoos, and I wear a lot of rings.
Pixelgoth
I used to get called 'goth' at Uni all the time. I wore a lot of black, make-up and listened to metal music. Apparently to those ignorant people out there that means I'm a goth. I also hung out with a cute little goth called Christine and that might have helped 'label' me.

I like HIM and Type O Negative but I guess that's about as goth as I get biggrin.gif

I have two tattoos and 1 piercing and that's fairly alternative in the crowd I hang with so I guess that's why they seem to label me that way now.

I suppose it's better than being called sad! laugh.gif
Starfish
No, I can wear a lot of black at time though. However, that's just because I'm horrible at putting together matching outfits. If it's all black, it all matches.
nordelen
LEMON!!!!!!!!!

goth? me? no way! the whole dressing up and putting on make-up and trying to style the hair is just waaaay too much hastle for me. i'd rather stay in bed for the extra hour or so thate it takes to do all that stuff! biggrin.gif
elf
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Dec 2 2003, 05:06 AM)
I used to get called 'goth' at Uni all the time.  I wore a lot of black, make-up and listened to metal music.  Apparently to those ignorant people out there that means I'm a goth.  I also hung out with a cute little goth called Christine and that might have helped 'label' me.

I like HIM and Type O Negative but I guess that's about as goth as I get biggrin.gif

I have two tattoos and 1 piercing and that's fairly alternative in the crowd I hang with so I guess that's why they seem to label me that way now.

I suppose it's better than being called sad! laugh.gif

TYPE O NEGATIVE!

<-- me <3s teh negative types XD;

anyway, people think i'm goth... maybe because i wear all black sometimes... like now ^^; i'm not one, though... nobody at my school is...
Sir Psycho Sexy
hmm....no, i wear dar colours generally (but not always) but not really much black....mostly blue, in fact i hate not wearing blue jeans....feels so unnatural they also have to be flares....not baggies FLARES!! (and because i get it a lot flares are not girls trousers!!), and trainers are a must....comfy...and not white....

what the f*** have i just written?!
Zesty
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Dec 2 2003, 05:20 PM)
what the f*** have i just written?!

some very interesting bits about flares not being girls trousers.
CrissiLove
LOL I am definitely not a goth. And I have never been called one. laugh.gif That would be pretty crazy if somebody did.... LOL
Edward_lover1200
i nulled...I may wear black all the time and alot of black makeup...(those of you who have seen my webcam know exacly what i'm talking about) and I like my spiked dog coller...but then again...I hvae to ask what is goth?

ok here's some of the discriptions I've heard

(1) You are an atheist, you like to drink, smoke, do drugs, and fight alot
(this was told to me bye Mysti...the girl that thinks I'm trying to be a "goth" when I'm not and wants to beat the hell out of me...)

(2) Goth in its simplest form, is a subculture. A group of people who feel comfortable within each others company. There is no specific thing that defines what you need to do or be to fit into the goth scene (except of course the implied black clothing). People in the goth scene all have different musical tastes, follow different religions, have different occupations, hobbies, and fashion sense.
Most goths become goths because they have been spurned by 'normal' society because the way they want to live their lives does not fit in with how most people are told to live theirs. Goths are free thinkers, people who do not accept the moral rules of society because they're told 'This is just how it is' or 'This is what God says!'. Rather goths tend to listen to what you have to say, and make up their own mind. This kind of free thinking and rejection of dogma earns only rejection in todays society.
However because of this rejection from 'normal' society, goths have banded together to associate with other free thinkers. This has a beneficial effect on both the individual and society as a whole. For the individual they have a sense of belonging, and friends they can associate with. For society it removes one more misfit filled with rage from society's streets.
This of course is not the case for all goths. Many goths today are goths for a variety of other reasons. They like the music, or the clubs are better, they have goth friends and joined in with them, or they just like staying up late nights and goths are the only ones awake to talk to.

(3) It is basically indefinable, because "Goth" means different things to each follower. Many adopt unusual fashions in order to separate themselves from other youth. Gordon A. Crews, associate dean of the School of Justice Studies at Roger Williams University in Bristol, CT is an investigator of what he calls the "occult" which-- in his opinion -- includes the Goth culture. He said: "It is up to the individual to define what Goth is for themselves ... The mentality is, 'I want to be left alone but I want to be seen. I want to see the shock on other peoples' faces." 16

Some factors that are commonly observed are:

Its unique music, art and literature.
The use of extreme black clothing, light colored makeup, unusual hair styles, body piercing, bondage items, etc.
A fascination with medieval, Victorian and Edwardian history.
Wearing of symbols such as a Christian cross; an Egyptian ankh or "Eye of Ra," or "Eye of Horus;" a Wiccan pentacle, a Satanic inverted pentacle. etc. 14
Goths tend to be non-violent, pacifistic, passive, and tolerant. Many in the media have mistakenly associated Goth with extreme violence and hatred of minorities, white supremacy, etc.
Many Goths write about being depressed. Followers seem sullen and withdrawn, when in public. They are often much more "happy and carefree in the company of [other] Goths." 1 Examples of depression are: Go Goth! writes: "Life is essentially meaningless, and suffering is the natural condition of living things. There is no hope." 11
"Tigriss," commenting on her own life, writes: "So my gothic persona fit me quite well. My black clothing and dark music aptly reflected my own depression, pain, and anger which was what I made most of my life about. Most of my goth friends had dysfunctional families and troubled childhoods as mine. We could identify with each other through our dark make-up and painful pasts." 12
Researcher Jasin Tamlin comments: "If you take a look at the 640 sites that are listed on the Gothic Web Ring, you will find many of them filled with desperation, depression, anger, hatred, despair and angst." 13

"A lot of people turn to the Gothic subculture after having a hard time in school, feeling alienated, and looking for a way to express themselves that mirrors those feelings. Others find the scene through literature, still others want to be shocking, and some people just find black clothing slimming." 1
Goth music often deals with thought-provoking topics, concentrating on societal evils, like racism, war, hatred of groups, etc. They tend to concentrate on the very "nasty, unhappy" topics that "North American culture" wants to "ignore and forget."
A fascination with death. They try "to find a different way of thinking about life, like trying to find beauty in life, pain and death. It's all a quest for immortality." 2
Some Goths enjoy playing role playing games. However, RPGs are not an integral component of Goth culture. It is just that those intellectual and creative challenges that draw them to the Goth scene make them more likely to enjoy RPGs as well.
Other interests: writings by authors like Dante, Byron, Tolstoy; German Expressionist silent films; writing music; painting, etc.

now note these are just a few I've heard...so in answer to am I goth? I have to say by going by number 2 yes...if by going by number 1 and 3...No...at my school I'm a poser...among friends I'm a god...among other I dont exists...so I find this hard for me to answer...
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
Being a goth sounds too complicated. I'll just stick witht the jeans and t shirts for now. biggrin.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (elf @ Dec 2 2003, 05:18 PM)

Sorry elf but was that good or bad!? laugh.gif I'm a bit of a technoretard sad.gif I haven't listened to them since about 1996 but I still like the cheesy lyrics of My Girlfriend's Girlfriend wink.gif
Tarantio
QUOTE (CrissiLove @ Dec 2 2003, 05:32 PM)
LOL I am definitely not a goth. And I have never been called one. laugh.gif That would be pretty crazy if somebody did.... LOL

you're a goth. no, wait, let me do that again...

YOU'RE A GOTH.

there, that fits his mentality better. though its still a joke, i guess...
Sun Tsu
I've never been called a goth. I get called ''Hippy'' a lot, but I dunno why. dry.gif

There's no point anyway in being a goth. Be a ''you'' instead. I figured that out a while ago, it's much easier than thinking ''OMG IM NOT A GOTH IF I DONT WEAR THIS''....
miss_spunk
well...I listen to a lot of Goth music *notes Cure avatar* and read a lot of Goth literature. But am I a goth? Methinks not...Red is my favourite colour, and I like pink too!!! But hey, some of the descriptions given can work for being a punk also...

Aysha xxx
Cath Sparrow
I'm what is commonly known as a sad old Goth this is not a derrogatry(sp?) term cause I personaly have lots of. What it means is I've been through the ansty faze (not that I ever was very) and am still a Goth. I dont bother with the make up that much these days but the general concept is so ingrained that it's part of who I am. It's not a case of being a goth any more it's that I am a Goth. laugh.gif
Mind_Kybitz
Lemon. The best artificial flavor is lemon. Everyone knows that. Oh wait, that's NOT what this poll is about? Oopsies. I'm not a goth, but I happen to be attracted to them.
elf
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Dec 2 2003, 10:00 AM)

Sorry elf but was that good or bad!? laugh.gif I'm a bit of a technoretard sad.gif I haven't listened to them since about 1996 but I still like the cheesy lyrics of My Girlfriend's Girlfriend wink.gif

I don't get what you mean? Teh negative types is just a sorta nickname for Type O Negative... or at least my nickname... heh?
lygophilia
QUOTE (Edward_lover1200 @ Dec 2 2003, 11:45 AM)
(1) You are an atheist, you like to drink, smoke, do drugs, and fight alot.

That one is definately wrong. You can be of any religion...or none. Drink/smoke/drugs. Ha. That's the stereotype. Everyone thinks goths are angry, violent Mansonites. No. I know many more "preps/normal" people that do that stuff. Being goth doesn't mean you do drugs or any of that stuff.

There's a bunch of crap between people now days on who's a "true" goth. I've seen an argument between two people on some site. They both said the other person was a "posuer" and that they, themselves, were in fact "goth". There's really no "true" definition of what it is. There are many "types" of goths...as far as labels, but that's really more of a joke. You can use the descriptions as how you dress (as I do as far as goth/prep/punk), but you can't say who's a true goth. The term was origionally used (aside from the art/architecture and Gothic tribe a long time ago)as a label for label the band "Bauhaus" in 1979. After that goth/punk became popular. The main labels of gothic fashion (they can have different titles) are:

Romance - Historical era clothing: rennaisance, edwardian, victorian, etc.
Punk - (obvious enough?)
Fetish - um...S&M...vinyl, PVC...whips... all that fun stuff. biggrin.gif

I think those would be the major types...there are many more like Lolita, military, t-shirts/jeans, kitty goth, vampire goth, etc. but you can kind of fit those into the above 3.

I've heard it said that goth is a way of life, being drawn to the darker side of life...that there's beauty in things like pain and death. Finding the light in the darkness and embracing it for all it's worth. Others say it's all about the expression of yourself, usually darker or more morbid than "normal" through poetry, music, art, etc.

Researcher Jasin Tamlin comments: "If you take a look at the 640 sites that are listed on the Gothic Web Ring, you will find many of them filled with desperation, depression, anger, hatred, despair and angst."
My reply: probably b/c of all the poseurs now that goth is becoming "trendy" almost... Many of those people think they're goth, but they're not.

"It is up to the individual to define what Goth is for themselves"
My reply: Basically, that's what I did...that's what I do with all my beliefs. You have to know all the different possibilities...the things people say...then decide... But there can't be a websters dictionary meaning for goth...well, not in this sense. If they were to do one within the next 10 years, they'd probably go with the stwereotype anyway...which is completely wrong. Goths aren't all hateful or suicidal or do drugs or worship the devil...anyone can do that. That's pretty much just like saying all "preps" are all Catholic. Too general of a statement. Everything else you said is true or mostly true.

Oh, as for me. I'd probably be considered goth. I don't wear all black all the time. I will about 1/2 of every week. Most of the tops I buy say funny stuff on them; I get whatever color it comes in if I want the shirt enough...I even have two pink ones. tongue.gif

I talk about it on my site under "goth" if you care to check it out. It works, but will be much better soon, since I've been working on it a lot.
lygophilia
QUOTE (elf @ Dec 2 2003, 04:48 PM)
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Dec 2 2003, 10:00 AM)

I don't get what you mean? Teh negative types is just a sorta nickname for Type O Negative... or at least my nickname... heh?

I believe Pixie wasn't sure what the "<3s" was. It's a heart...with an "s" at the end...meaning "loves". happy.gif Try rereading the sentence. ...Or was Elf right about what you misunderstood, Pixie? huh.gif
Edward_lover1200
QUOTE (lygophilia @ Dec 2 2003, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (Edward_lover1200 @ Dec 2 2003, 11:45 AM)
(1) You are an atheist, you like to drink, smoke, do drugs, and fight alot.

[SIZE=1]That one is definately wrong. You can be of any religion...or none. Drink/smoke/drugs. Ha. That's the stereotype. Everyone thinks goths are angry, violent Mansonites. No. I know many more "preps/normal" people that do that stuff. Being goth doesn't mean you do drugs or any of that stuff.

I agree with that for sure..as I said,..this is bye a girl at my school who wants to kill me...so yeah I couldn't agree more...
acidteardrop
im not goth. mainly cos 1) im not into conformity, and 2)my dad would kill me if i were. ive been called emo though. i think it looks...erm...not bad anyways. not my preference, i like being original. its workshirts with logos for me.
CommieBastard
It's fashionable these days to deny one's gothness. Leading to a lot of "Oh, I dress all in black and wear eyeliner and obsess over Bauhaus and The Sisters of Mercy and go to goth clubs and drink snakebite and black and wear a silver cross and have a backpack shaped like a coffin and my boots add six inches to my height and are covered in unnecessary straps - and some people say I'm goth, but..."

Which annoys me. So yes. I'm a goth.
VVes
For some reason they think I am a blond with dyed Jet Black Hair , and i tend to always wear "something" in black... blink.gif

shirts or pants... although I can dress pretty bright at times.... tongue.gif

... awkward really...
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Dec 3 2003, 08:30 PM)
It's fashionable these days to deny one's gothness. Leading to a lot of "Oh, I dress all in black and wear eyeliner and obsess over Bauhaus and The Sisters of Mercy and go to goth clubs and drink snakebite and black and wear a silver cross and have a backpack shaped like a coffin and my boots add six inches to my height and are covered in unnecessary straps - and some people say I'm goth, but..."

Just think commie one day you could be just like me! It'll so ingrained that that how ever much you try and lean away from it it'll drag you back in! Speaking of which I'm off to a Goth night on Fri! Yay!
But what ever you do dont think I'm trying to deny my gothness I was just trying to branch out a bit which I have to point but still definate Goth!
antagony
I'm a poseur. It's fun.
elf
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Dec 3 2003, 12:30 PM)

noooo! i'm seriously not a gothhhhh!
the lil' pie fairy
lemon. no, i really am one.
saucy_tara
Back in the old days (1991) i used to be a complete full on goth, with huge hard rock hairsprayed hair extensions down to my knees, corsets, looooooads of black eyeliner. Although I've toned my image down a wee bit I still love all the old music like Sex Gang Children, Bauhaus, Nephs, and I find it quite cute to see all the baby goths trying to master the gothic two step when clubbing!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Cath Sparrow
YAy! welcome to the relm of the Sad Old Goth Saucy isn't it fun! Dont you just luv the baby Goths! (sorry have a slite patroniseing streak no offence is ment to anyone but I do luv baby Goth spotting! tongue.gif )
Faerieryn
OK I am a goth at heart but not a lot of people would guess it.First of all I'm not depressed. I get into the occasional bottom of the heap funk, sure but a few hairbrushes later and I'm back in the game. I am also passed the evreyone hates me stage of the teenage years (being that I'm no longer ateenager) I also have little money to spend on the lacey velvety clothing that I love and being that I wear contact lenses have never been able to master eyeliner (I need a guide dog to find my glasses in the morning) I'm not into marilyn Manson that much altough he should be knighted for finally making an eighties cover which is worth its salt (tainted love) I am a teacher. People do not think that teachers can be these sorts of things. It scares the kids enough that they know I have a tattoo and a belly button piercing. If they knew that some of my friends pretend they are vampires at the weekend it might just give them (or more likely their parents) a heart attack. SO most poeple think I am (shudder) normal (yyyyeeeaarch!!!! hate that word) I am in facta bouncy, vaguely respeccable, skint, half blind goth (who likes Bon Jovi!)

biggrin.gif
cheese is funny
i wear all black 99.781% of the time. i like black, i look decent in it. and, i dont have to worry to see if my shirt matches with my pants (no shorts, pants only). but, i am NOT goth, far from it. ive only been called a goth once, and i think the guy was an idiot.
CrissiLove
you're a goth. no, wait, let me do that again...

YOU'RE A GOTH.

Yay! I got called a goth! smile.gif lol You're crazy! LOL JJ! smile.gif
werewolf3361
I wear blck all the time... but I'm not a goth... ppl think i am though.... I wear black cause I like it... it's my fave color... black is dark... dark is good...
Sir Psycho Sexy
it worries me how obsessed with goth the person that made this thread is...there have to be at least 3 or 4 where goth is a major theme....
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
Nope, not a goth. I think they are fine people, but I'm just not one. To be honest, I don't really belong to a certain clique. I'm just here, which is why i get along with a lot of people.
Marsyas
^ ^ I concur.
I don't even wear regular make up, and I find that it's easier to stick with my collection of fine t-shirts and jeans, along with some other things that I don't really wear as much. I still have my black boots though... wink.gif
I used to be rather gothish (if that is a word, and if it isn't then it is now) back in the first part of high school, but a lot of things have happened since then that have changed me so much. But in stature, I haven't grown since then, so that's why I still have my black boots. 5'4" since 1998 and proud...
miss_spunk
Let me say this now...Manson, I believe, SUCKS. The only songs he ever did that were worth mentioning are covers (Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love) and i absoltely HATE IT when I say that I listen to goth people automatically assume Manson. But nooooo, whatever happened to Soft Cell, Cure, Bauhaus, Siouxsie & The Banshees. I hate Manson for making people believe he is the essence of being a goth.
kk_lost
i'm goth and dam proud of it!! my favoret band is kittie, they r so hot!!
cheese is funny
kittie is considered goth? ive been told by many different accounts that it is just some form of commercialized mtv metal...
kk_lost
kittie is metal, yes, but they r sooo cute!! alill hard 2 resist listening to also, humm they are so awsome!
cheese is funny
they are metal, but does that mean they are goth? tongue.gif
kk_lost
well umm..... i donno.....
Daedalus
QUOTE (Edward_lover1200 @ Dec 2 2003, 06:45 PM)
(2) Goth in its simplest form, is a subculture. A group of people who feel comfortable within each others company. There is no specific thing that defines what you need to do or be to fit into the goth scene (except of course the implied black clothing). People in the goth scene all have different musical tastes, follow different religions, have different occupations, hobbies, and fashion sense.
Most goths become goths because they have been spurned by 'normal' society because the way they want to live their lives does not fit in with how most people are told to live theirs. Goths are free thinkers, people who do not accept the moral rules of society because they're told 'This is just how it is' or 'This is what God says!'. Rather goths tend to listen to what you have to say, and make up their own mind. This kind of free thinking and rejection of dogma earns only rejection in todays society.
However because of this rejection from 'normal' society, goths have banded together to associate with other free thinkers. This has a beneficial effect on both the individual and society as a whole. For the individual they have a sense of belonging, and friends they can associate with. For society it removes one more misfit filled with rage from society's streets.
This of course is not the case for all goths. Many goths today are goths for a variety of other reasons. They like the music, or the clubs are better, they have goth friends and joined in with them, or they just like staying up late nights and goths are the only ones awake to talk to.

By that definition, I'm a goth. However, by the typical idea of goth (around my area anyway) I don't think I am, although a lot of people seem to think so. Fair enough, so I wear a lot of black (it suits me), including black boots, but theyre not huge 6" soled ones, just some comfy assault boots. I listen to some stuff that a goth could be fond of (NIN, SOAD, Placebo, Breed 77), but nothing that labels itself as goth, except one band that is so awful that I'm not going to repeat its name here laugh.gif. But how many "goths" listen to Coldplay or Doves?

As far as I'm concerned, most people who uninvitedly advertise they are "goths", are "goths" for all the wrong reasons, and are simply conforming to the illusion of non-comformity. Personally, I don't care if people think I'm a goth or not.

Meh.

As for Manson, I don't hate a few of his songs, but I don't like them much either. He's scapegoated by fundamentalists, but he seems to love it. Then again, he denied that he's a goth on some chat show with Jonathan Ross.
Dedbutdrmng
Goth here, nice to see someone else mention the Nephs, their site is finally up if you're interested - www.fields-of-the-nephilim.com - now I'm off out to cover myself in flour and hide from the dreaded W.I.G. If you really want to know what Goth is then go here - http://www.demon.co.uk/bat/aircrash/tab002.html if it still works.

RJ
Mr Fuzzy
Not only does the link not work, you have silver shoes. Hang your head!
Mata
As a friend that Mr Fuzzy, Dedbutdrmg and I all have in common suggests, 'goth' is all about boots.

By her definition I am therefore a goth. By my own, I'm not. By many other people's I am. I can't say I'm actually that fussed either way really. I'd say if anything that some days I can be goth-ish, other days I'm not. That's not a conclusive answer to the question but it's the most honest one!

Marilyn Manson is a good laugh, very good at self-promotion and occasionally does a cracking bit of glam-rock. He's marketed as goth because he wants to sell lots of records. He does seem to care about the messages he sends out, but he also has an awareness that there is a whole range of 'alternative' people who might buy his records if he presents himself correctly. He's a clever chap, not particularly goth really, but I'm not about to hold that against him.
Pikasyuu
You know, it's nice to dress up every now and again. Take some extra time on your makeup, spend a while picking out some nice black or vinyl dress, but if you're going to get goth shouted at you all the way home and cry about it, what on earth is the point?

Gothy-ness is in the eye of the beholder. To me, it's the occasional fun dressuppy thing, to others it's a cult like following which one simply must abide by. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.