Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Cult Of The Saviour
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Tigersong
And thus spake the Mods: I will send one amongst you who will seek justice and peace amoungst the forumites. And he shall post amongst the boards with the spammers and the drama queens, and there shall be much rejoicing. He shall be born of the posts of the Virgin, whom all will call blessed. Yea, verily, he comes soon, with the Smarmy Ghost to boot.
---

This is a half-serious thread where we can discuss the issues of spam and drama and annoying posts in and try to come to a peaceful solution to these problems that occasionally arise on the boards. It's really too bad when forumites leave because the quality of the discussions sinks to new all-time lows. I'm not saying there isn't good stuff going on here, but just that occassionally things can get out of hand.

So what we're looking for is constructive criticism and new fresh thinking. New ideas on how to "save the boards." I know Mata doesn't want to impose more rules on the boards, and I understand completely why... perhaps we need more self-regulation?

---

I am the self-appointed Saviour Of the Boards (SOB), and I was born of the Virgin Jenn., by the power of the Smarmy Ghost Jicama.

Artemisia is an Ascetic (Crazy Secluded Monk)
Candice is a cog.
'Lil Pie Fairy is a cog.
Pab is Pab, and a worm.
Phoenix has now, unfortunately, been demoted to Scum. smile.gif
Gerbilfromhell is scum, in training as a "Preaching Hermit"
Prince Aries is scum.
CommieBastard is scum.
phoenix
*angelic choir* "aaaaaaaaaaammmeeennnnn*

savy idea!

since this is a cult, can i be a you appointed thing? i really like this idea and would love to help any ways i can
jicama
wow. this was the topic of concern back when i was a regular. almost brings a tear to my eye...

as i recall, back then the solution was to have a thread dedicated to spam. also to split the forum pages into many catigories so that spammers could go nuts in "daft", but not in "issues".

i take it this didn't work?
acidteardrop
the spam thread died. it got too big, so mata had to delete it. to much bandwidth.

however, i do beleive it did work.
gerbilfromhell
well, my main solution is just to nuke daft and re-start it. after, of course, a month to find and save any save-worthy threads. then do that every time daft gets over 50,000 (or maybe 25,000) posts.
yes, that's not a solution to spamming, but it's a suggestion in general. and it might help the spamming (mainly the 'thread ressurection week' that seeems to happen every week)

if you mean spamming of serious threads, just tell the people that do it not to. it's worked so far, don't see why it won't work in the future...

also, (and i got this idea from the elven-boards. credit where credit is due) i suggest making all daft posts not count for post count.

oh, and i'll definitelly join this cult.
i call 'preaching hermit'!
Jaq
I was going to join this cult but then I realized that I'm already a part of it whether I like it or not. (ie..the virgin Jenn) So go Saviour Cult!

Stop spamming dangit.

Also if you want to join the cult I recommend putting the Hail Jenn in your sig. It not only identifies you to other cult members but by putting it out there in the open will help educate the huddled and heathen masses.

Joy!
prezgfish
oo
Tigersong
QUOTE (prezgfish @ Dec 10 2003, 05:32 PM)
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Dec 10 2003, 07:55 PM)
This is a half-serious thread

its not even that

get some originality or human perspective that would be good to

Please, if you can't say anything constructive, don't say anything at all. Also, please don't insult me.

---

Phoenix, you can be a Vestal Virgin, dedicated to the honour of keeping the Eternal Flame of Relevant Posting.

Also, Jicama is now the official cult Cog. I'm not sure what that means, but that's what she wants to be.
Artemisia
Not to spoil your fun, Tigersong, but isn't this entire thread turning into a spam-fest? huh.gif
Tigersong
QUOTE (Artemisia @ Dec 10 2003, 07:25 PM)
Not to spoil your fun, Tigersong, but isn't this entire thread turning into a spam-fest? huh.gif

Shush you.

It won't be a spam-fest if we can keep the conversation and brainstorming going. But it's also meant to be a little fun.

Example: I was wondering if perhaps those who join the cult might take a mutually agreed on creed, ie. to follow the rules and seek out justice and truth amongst the forums. Nothing binding, of course, but just a set of guidlines, that sort of thing.

Anyone can join, of course, but only if you truly desire to stop spamming and dramatics. And if you demonstrate behaviour that is in opposition to the ideals of the Cult, you may be demoted or removed.

Of course, this needs a lot of brainstorming to work. Any more ideas?

-- The Self-Appointed Saviour
Tigersong
Perhaps another idea? This one was suggested to me by the Most Holy Jaq. Perhaps some sort of hierarchy... if you can refrain from spamming, and you post an interesting topic, you move up in the hierarchy, if you can't, you move down.

Of course, this needs to be a fluid thing... as Jaq pointed out, this is smacking of all the trappings of organized religion.. with a hierarchy and all. This is meant to be a fun way to celebrate non-dramatic interesting postings.

Suggestions? Objections? Discussion?

I can only hope this will be a democratic Cult.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (prezgfish @ Dec 10 2003, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Dec 10 2003, 07:55 PM)
This is a half-serious thread

its not even that

get some originality or human perspective that would be good to

hush my bretheren, for the lady part speaketh!
Tigersong
So, Jaq, Jicama, and I were discussing the Cult, and because we're elitist bastages (and also because we happen to be RL friends), we've promoted ourselves to the head of the Cult. I am the Saviour, Jaq is the Virgin Jenn, and Jicama is the Smarmy Ghost.

Also, sorry Phoenix, we've developed a hierarchy of sorts, so sorry Phoenix, we'll have to demote you to the bottom of the ladder.

- Stalefish
- Scum
-Worm
-Cog
-Vestal Virgin, dedicated to the honour of keeping the Eternal Flame of Relevant Posting
-Ascetic (Crazy Secluded Monk)
-Preacher (Crazy Non-secluded Monk)
-Fishmonger
-Washing Woman
-Drinker of the Holy Wine
-Eater of the Holy Cheese
-Blue Collar Worshiper
-Middle Management
-Tim the Enchanter
-Saint
-Grand Poobah
-Celestial Being
sjbbandgeek
So this is basicly rewarding cool titles for your sig if you don't spam?
Jaq
QUOTE (sjbbandgeek @ Dec 10 2003, 08:58 PM)

Yup pretty much! What? There's a problem with that?

Also making up interesting threads.
sjbbandgeek
QUOTE (Jaq @ Dec 10 2003, 07:29 PM)

No problem at all, actually I think it is a brilliant idea. I also have some ideas for mata about getting rid of irrevelent (sp) spam meself. Such as enlisting spam mods that only delete total spam from the daft boards.
Artemisia
Sign me up too!

Just so we're all clear on the doctrine, let's precisely define

1) spam

2) drama

k?

Nevermind about defining spam- I just read Mata's pinned post in the Daft section. But what about drama?
jicama
drama queens (and kings) are the people that make posts or threads specifically to elicit a distressing emotional response as a cry for attention, not help. especially when trying to generate pity or anger. often these comments kill threads as they do not promote dicussion. for instance:

"i like cheese" (a fine post) followed by:
"my cheese ran away from home and i hate everything!!!!! mad.gif sad.gif "

that good?
Phyllis
Oho! If I join, will I have to be scum? I don't like the sound of that, nosir. I should get bonus points for being a long-time member of another non-spamming orgnization...namely, the RPA. ph34r.gif

So, I will join. But only if I get to move up the ranks a bit right away (anything above worm really) because I'm picky like that. And I have cookies. Many cookies. You know you want the cookies... Oh, plus I'm e-married to Jaq! That HAS to count for something. tongue.gif

I don't mean to cause a stir, but isn't the Hail Jenn thing rather...well...long? I am a hater of long sigs along with spam and drama, so my suggestion there would be to use the almighty //s or a smaller font size (or a combination thereof).

Also included in the drama queen/king category are those who create "I'm leaving" threads...then create "I'm back!" threads when they return...a week later. dry.gif Ego polls are also in there, but well...everyone deserves one ego poll. I'm not against starting your own...but if you start repeated ones (people have before...), then you should be kicked in the shin. Once is enough!

Also, funny spam is different from spammy spam. There are quite a few quality humorous polls in Daft....and some that just make your brain go numb. It's hard to explain, but there is definitely a difference there.
jicama
i am in complete agreement.

i have conferred with the self-appointed savior and the virgin jenn.

it has been agreed that:
1. we like cookies
2. the rpa does count for something
3. jaq: "nepotism rocks!"
4. our cult isn't big with the morals.

so congratulations candice, you are a cog! the sas will make it official later.

have a great day,
smarmy ghost.
Pab
I would like to convert to this fantastically dramatic and spammy cult. BUT I would like to propose a minor amendment to the list, as follows:

-Scum
-Worm
-Cog
-Vestal Virgin, dedicated to the honour of keeping the Eternal Flame of Relevant Posting
-Fishmonger
-Washing Woman
-Blue Collar Worshiper
-Middle Management
-Tim the Enchanter
-Saint
-Grand Poobah
-Pab
-Celestial Being

tx
the lil' pie fairy
ooo, me, me...it might stop me spamming (if i do? i don't know really unsure.gif )

can i use my pies as bribery to start as a worm please??

on a more serious note, i like this idea, i think it'd work smile.gif
Jaq
QUOTE (Pab @ Dec 11 2003, 03:45 AM)
I would like to convert to this fantastically dramatic and spammy cult. BUT I would like to propose a minor amendment to the list, as follows:

-Pab
-Scum
-Worm
-Cog
-Fishmonger
-Washing Woman
-Blue Collar Worshiper
-Middle Management
-Tim the Enchanter
-Saint
-Grand Poobah
-Celestial Being

tx

heh heh. Nice try Pab. Though one could easily edit your post to say...oops! There you are below scum now! Oh dear oh dear. Now what will you do about that?

Next time don't be so blatant. But welcome to our spammy drama cult! (be sure to add something to that effect in your sig if you so wish)
Jaq
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 11 2003, 04:53 AM)
ooo, me, me...it might stop me spamming (if i do? i don't know really unsure.gif )

can i use my pies as bribery to start as a worm please??

on a more serious note, i like this idea, i think it'd work smile.gif

/me takes pie on the sly

The Virgin Jenn is not above bribes....

Welcome oh Worm of the Cult lil pie fairy!
Tigersong
Okay, so if you want to ascend up the ranks of the Cult, you're going to have to point out to us that you're doing good work on the boards. Preferably through PMs or on this thread. So, say for example, you're a Pab and you wish to become Scum, you'd have to post an interesting topic of conversation and then PM one of the SAS, Virgin Jenn, or Smarmy Ghost.

The Virgin Jenn just pointed out to me that a better acronym for the self-appointed saviour would be Saviour Of the Boards, or SOB. I think that should become official doctrine.

Yours in non-spamminess,
SOB
the lil' pie fairy
do i get credit for my french thread? it's really good...i hope... unsure.gif
Jaq
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 11 2003, 05:53 AM)
do i get credit for my french thread? it's really good...i hope... unsure.gif

Oh aye, it is a good thread, unfortunately you started it before you joined the cult. Sorry lil pie fairy...
the lil' pie fairy
awwwwww.... sad.gif ok, i'll think of something good....*thinks*
Pab
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Dec 11 2003, 12:47 PM)
So, say for example, you're a Pab and you wish to become Scum ...

าทำ

... excuse me, but it seems some SOB is in the process of establishing MY IDENTITY (!!!!) as the bottom wrung of the ladder to greatness, ostensibly due to some virginal ploy involving faugery, abuse of omnipotency and NO COOKIES WHATSOEVER.

Now, I KNOW I am on the path to greatness, ask anyone ... if I get to them first they'll say its true ... but, you sick SOB, you seem to be telling THE WHOLE WORLD that to achieve any form of greatness, as in 'scum' or better, it is mantra that they step on me first.

I AM a pab. And I was scum before you got out of diapers, young lad. Normally it would be a dual to the end in the BO SELECTA thread, but considering the circumstances, I'll just let you off and walk quietly to the exit .....

I used to be able ta jump in'n'out of a barrel'o eggs wi'out crackin' a shell ... I coulda made a mint, had I been a bit more shrude ...
Pab
...oh, and I'm submitting the poem Samurai Keyboard, and my avatar (totally spam-free) as credit ... Its brand spanking new today (though it does _look_ similar to the old one .... ph34r.gif )
Prince Aries
Count me in, my deliscious Tigersong. I'd say everything I really wanted to say, but Candice already beat me to it. Just read her post to know my feelings on things.

-LAZY ARIES-
Tigersong
QUOTE (Pab @ Dec 11 2003, 08:35 AM)
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Dec 11 2003, 12:47 PM)
So, say for example, you're a Pab and you wish to become Scum ...

าทำ

... excuse me, but it seems some SOB is in the process of establishing MY IDENTITY (!!!!) as the bottom wrung of the ladder to greatness, ostensibly due to some virginal ploy involving faugery, abuse of omnipotency and NO COOKIES WHATSOEVER.

Now, I KNOW I am on the path to greatness, ask anyone ... if I get to them first they'll say its true ... but, you sick SOB, you seem to be telling THE WHOLE WORLD that to achieve any form of greatness, as in 'scum' or better, it is mantra that they step on me first.

I AM a pab. And I was scum before you got out of diapers, young lad. Normally it would be a dual to the end in the BO SELECTA thread, but considering the circumstances, I'll just let you off and walk quietly to the exit .....

I used to be able ta jump in'n'out of a barrel'o eggs wi'out crackin' a shell ... I coulda made a mint, had I been a bit more shrude ...

Meh. It was Jaq's idea. Blame her. tongue.gif

No really, go at it!

Don't worry, Pab, only *you* can be a Pab. The bottom rung for everyone else is still scum... tongue.gif

As for the poems, I'll have to confer with the other members of the trinity, but I'm thinking you might be promoted soon!

- SOB
Jaq
Hmm, well I think Pab's poems will lift him out of the mire of "Pab" status and boost him up to "scum" status. Actually I would suggest that he might be able to skip scum status and go right onto "worm" but I'd have to get approval from the SOB and the Smarmy Ghost
CommieBastard
This sounds like it could be the official religion for the RPA. Needless to say, as a good RPAer, I'm in.
Tigersong
QUOTE (Jaq @ Dec 11 2003, 04:45 PM)
Hmm, well I think Pab's poems will lift him out of the mire of "Pab" status and boost him up to "scum" status.  Actually I would suggest that he might be able to skip scum status and go right onto "worm"  but I'd have to get approval from the SOB and the Smarmy Ghost

I'm up for that. Go Pab. You are now a worm! Congrats, and all.

- the SOB
Tigersong
QUOTE (sjbbandgeek @ Dec 10 2003, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Jaq @ Dec 10 2003, 07:29 PM)

No problem at all, actually I think it is a brilliant idea. I also have some ideas for mata about getting rid of irrevelent (sp) spam meself. Such as enlisting spam mods that only delete total spam from the daft boards.

Hmm, interesting idea, sjbbandgeek.

I'm not sure if it's necessary to have separate mods just for spam or not. An interesting idea, since daft really can fill up with spammy spam some times. Funny spam, as Cand pointed out, is part of what daft is. But the spammy spam? We could do without it. Also, there's always the problem that if the mods start interceding, people get huffy and mad at them and complain that their posts are being deleted. But I agree that perhaps, as gerbs has pointed out, perhaps we just need to nuke the older threads on daft every once in a while. Or have the mods got through the older posts and kill the non-worthy ones? After about 6 months, no one relly cares anymore anyways.

Another suggestion I have is perhaps on some of the larger spammy-fun threads... Bo Selecta, and the Word Association Game, and what not... we could easily axe the first half, and no one would care. No one wants to read through 100 pages of Bo! Selecta!

Maybe the Cult should encourage a little more respect for the wisdom of the mods? I don't know about this, but it seems that Mata has picked out people for the mods whom he really trusts with this important task... so when a mod deletes a thread or what not, there's probably a good reason. (Yes, I realize that this might be a point of controversy... discussion, anyone?)

On a side note, I'm considering drafting up a general list of doctrines that Cult members should *generally* hold by. For example, something along the lines of...
"As a member of the Cult, I will try to refrain from posting spammy spam. At least when I feel like it."

Yours in non-spamminess,
SOB
the lil' pie fairy
dear holy revered cult leaders,
i would like to present thread of weird weaponry as it is teaching future anarchists valuable lessons in cheap bombs, getting creative juices to flow and bringing back fond memories, hence enhancing people's well-being.
that will be all.
thank you for your time in considering this. pie x
jicama
QUOTE (the lil' pie fairy @ Dec 12 2003, 08:12 PM)
dear holy revered cult leaders,
i would like to present thread of weird weaponry as it is teaching future anarchists valuable lessons in cheap bombs, getting creative juices to flow and bringing back fond memories, hence enhancing people's well-being.
that will be all.
thank you for your time in considering this. pie x

i like explodies... i'll have to confer with the sob and the vj, but i think you've got this one in the bag.

sincerely yours,
smarmy ghost
the lil' pie fairy
many thanks *bows*
Tigersong
QUOTE (jicama @ Dec 12 2003, 02:32 PM)
i like explodies... i'll have to confer with the sob and the vj, but i think you've got this one in the bag.

sincerely yours,
smarmy ghost

I enjoyed the post thoroughly. I think it will work splendiferously for a move up the ol' cult ladder. Virgin Jenn?
Artemisia
Willing to trade sexual favors to the SOB so I can skip the bottom ranks of the cult. cool.gif

But I think that might be inappropriate to make a similar deal with the Virgin Jenn. I have alcohol for her. KinderEggs for the Smarmy Ghost.

How's sex, booze, and toys-in-chocolate for bribes? tongue.gif
Tigersong
QUOTE (Artemisia @ Dec 12 2003, 03:22 PM)
Willing to trade sexual favors to the SOB so I can skip the bottom ranks of the cult. cool.gif

But I think that might be inappropriate to make a similar deal with the Virgin Jenn. I have alcohol for her. KinderEggs for the Smarmy Ghost.

biggrin.gif

By unilateral decision, Artemesia has now become the Cult's first Ascetic (Crazy Secluded Monk).

(Woo hoo! Go sexual bribes)

-- SOB
jicama
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Dec 12 2003, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (jicama @ Dec 12 2003, 02:32 PM)
i like explodies...  i'll have to confer with the sob and the vj, but i think you've got this one in the bag.

sincerely yours,
smarmy ghost

I enjoyed the post thoroughly. I think it will work splendiferously for a move up the ol' cult ladder. Virgin Jenn?

virgin jenn probably won't be on 'til tomorrow or possibly later- went home to visit the parental units- but since she posted in pie's thread, lets assume she likes it.
jicama
QUOTE (Artemisia @ Dec 12 2003, 09:22 PM)

boy howdy! chocolate with free prize inside goodness! being a ghost grOks!

for the information of you other potential bribers, i also accept stick on tattoos, cracker jack, pez, spoons, large quantities of pocket lint, and canadian tire money.
MistressAlti
I'm not really sure if I can accept your cult.

You see, we already have one savior on this board. He's currently on hiatus, of course... but...

Oh, just look for yourself.

Matazone Church

I'm all for freedom of religion. That is, as long as you're my religion.

/me makes plans to be a closed-minded fundamentalist fanatic and burn down your cult headquarters...
jicama
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Dec 13 2003, 05:19 AM)
I'm not really sure if I can accept your cult.

You see, we already have one savior on this board. He's currently on hiatus, of course... but...

Oh, just look for yourself.

Matazone Church

I'm all for freedom of religion. That is, as long as you're my religion.

/me makes plans to be a closed-minded fundamentalist fanatic and burn down your cult headquarters...

eep! no burninating! no burninating! ph34r.gif

who says the forum can't have multiple prophets/saviors/deities/vodka imps... can't we all just get along?!
MistressAlti
QUOTE (jicama @ Dec 12 2003, 11:41 PM)
eep! no burninating! no burninating! ph34r.gif

who says the forum can't have multiple prophets/saviors/deities/vodka imps... can't we all just get along?!

No, I don't think so. I believe my church has something about preaching intolerance and general burnination written straight into our doctrine. And if there isn't, well... I'll write it in the margins.
jicama
i guess i better start spraying the temple with flame retartant then. either that or buy some fluffy puffs...
MistressAlti
QUOTE (jicama @ Dec 12 2003, 11:51 PM)
i guess i better start spraying the temple with flame retartant then. either that or buy some fluffy puffs...

Wait, wait, I'm not that unreasonable... we might be able to work something out. Take me to your spiritual leader.
jicama
...well i'm the spirit, but i think the sob is the leader... tongue.gif

what do you suggest?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.