Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mata Meet Uk, 7th Feb, Winchester, Hampshire
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mata
Right, post if you are planning to get to Winchester for the Mata Meet on the 7th of Feb. I'm going to have to book a table in a restaurant and so I need to gauge roughly how many people are going to be around. You don't have to be 100% about this, but if you intend on getting here and there's a fairly good chance of it happening then post in this thread.

So, to save me counting how many people reply, if you could add one to the number as we go along that would be appreciated:

1) Mata
2) Sues (Mata's gf)
Daedalus
3) Daedalus (unconfirmed)
Tarantio
4) Little old me. (Dace can sit in a high chair or something)
miss_spunk
hmmm I MIGHT be able to make as the parents are out of the country. But anyone willing to go together? *looks at Crunchy and Sea*

Aysha xxx
spiffilicious05
sad.gif ::sighs:: stupid atlantic ocean.......

::growels:: seperating me from the mata meet.... dry.gif sad.gif
WeeJ
8/ (hurrah for the edit button) WeeJ, Drarok, Queenie and possibly Mingtea.

Well, I've booked a room on Chirstchurch Road for Mat and myself. John and Lea still need to confirm (although I passed a hotel phone number onto Lea this afternoon)
Tarantio
isnt that 5, 6, 7 and 8?
CommieBastard
9 (Jennie can't count) Teh Commie
10) Mrs Commie, aka Succubusalicious
WeeJ
Cut me some slack...I wasn't thinking. It was a rather violent brain fart.
Tarantio
um... riiiiiiiiiight

DACE THINKS HE WOULD ENJOY A HIGH CHAIR. AS LONG AS IT WAS VERY HIGH INDEED, I THINK I MIGHT BE ABLE TO LIVE WITH THAT. I CAN LAUGH AND JEER FROM A GREAT HEIGHT.
Mr Fuzzy
11) Mr Fuzzy

I supose it would be cheeky of me not to considering I can walk there...
Polocrunch
12) Polocrunch - and I assume that I can now add:
13) Miss_Spunk because Commie, Succubusalicious and I will almost certainly go together.
Sir Psycho Sexy
14) SPS
15) Great Uncle Alfred (not really, he doesn't exist)
FurryMammal
15) Furrymammal/Finn

Not too sure if I'm coming, but it's a good chance, so I'll put my name down smile.gif
WeeJ
Someone please remind me to send the hotel a cheque for a deposit in the New Year.
Prince Aries
Blarghies!

Count Aries in for the "REALLY GOING TO TRY" seat. I have roughly a month to do this...I CAN DO IT! happy.gif
Pixelgoth
Now assuming Aries is Number 16 that makes me and Ed 17 and 18 biggrin.gif If not, it's 16 and 17 for us laugh.gif

I've booked the Saturday night, Ed is trying to get the Monday off work and so we can stay the Sunday night too. Hurrah, two nights of boozing and don't worry Mata you don't have to entertain us if you don't want to tongue.gif
Cath Sparrow
19) Cath (as long as stuff doesn't hit the fan in the next month!! sad.gif )
20) Farieryn (if she can find the money and time)
Mingtea
Next LAN seems to be March so...

21) Me.
Mata
Hurrah, a few more people (if everyone makes it) and we'll have double the amount of last time, at that rate by 2007 a number equivalent to all of China will be turning up somewhere to get drunk with us biggrin.gif
WeeJ
QUOTE (Mingtea @ Dec 22 2003, 11:32 AM)
Next LAN seems to be March so...

21) Me.

No John, 20. I took the liberty of adding you with mat and I ealier. And Lea rolleyes.gif
Tarantio
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 22 2003, 12:22 PM)
Hurrah, a few more people (if everyone makes it) and we'll have double the amount of last time, at that rate by 2007 a number equivalent to all of China will be turning up somewhere to get drunk with us biggrin.gif

Im NOT buying rounds for that!
miss_spunk
^^^well you won't have to buy anything for me...I don't drink!
Spacehappy
21 can someone pm me a hotel phone number please tongue.gif

*edit i can't count either
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Spacehappy @ Dec 22 2003, 04:38 PM)
can someone pm me a hotel phone number please tongue.gif

yeah.....i too am lazy, dail up takes far to long to search for things for my liking >_<
Mata
This one's nice and central,

http://www.abandb.net/south-of-england/the-farrells.htm

This one's not too far, but it's a bit of an uphill trek and the pub we're going to and the train station it's the other side of the city, maybe getting taxi would be good,

http://www.abandb.net/south-of-england/stratton-house.htm

I think a few other people here have already blagged whatever rooms are free in this one,

http://www.abandb.net/south-of-england/bed-&-breakfast.htm

Also, check out these,

http://www.s-h-systems.co.uk/winchest.html

Good locations listed on that page are: Bethany House (central and in the same direction as other people are staying), Mallard Cottage (central), Bellamys Bed and Breakfast, Lang House (Bellamys and Lang both walkable by day, a quick taxi at night...), Birchlands Bed and Breakfast (quite close to the pub actually), Farrells Guest House (central and again in the same area as others will probably be staying), Clifton Terrace (ludicrously central, a great location for seeing Winchester but a little pricey, 50 single, 55 double), Judys Bed and Breakfast (a taxi ride away from Winchester, set in a lovely little village called Littleton), Sycamores Bed and Breakfast (quite central, close to the pub, reasonable price too) and The King Alfred Pub (nice place, central, good food).

Don't go for the last one on the list, the Prince of Wales, because it's shut!

There you go, that should help you all out a bit! I've been checking physical locations on http://www.streetmap.co.uk by copying and pasting the post-codes. The ones I've mentioned, unless otherwise stated, are all in reasonable walking distance of the city centre.

As previously mentioned by Mr Fuzzy in another thread, make your enquiry by phone. People around here tend to be quite old-fashioned and just because their grandson has set up an email account for them it doesn't mean they know how to use it.
MrBrick
Whatever Number we're at I wasn't paying attention ) MrBrick, same reason as Mr_Fuzzy.
leopold
erm... I reckon we're up to 23 now.

23) Put me in fer a possible maybe. Should be able to do this but I need to confirm some stuff first.
WeeJ
Is christchurch Road very far away from where ever we're eating/drinking fall over water?
Mr Fuzzy
Not too far. I just walked along there on my way home this morning.
WeeJ
Glad to hear it. Can't be doing with having to weave my way through Winchester to get to bed tongue.gif
Mata
Christchurch Road doesn't require too much weaving, you'll be fine!
Polocrunch
Do you reckon that we can just turn up and expect a room? I'm far too lazy to actually book a hotel/B&B.
Mata
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Dec 24 2003, 04:51 PM)
Do you reckon that we can just turn up and expect a room? I'm far too lazy to actually book a hotel/B&B.

Not really no. Book in advance, there's not really any space at my house for people to kip on the floor either. Get organised! I've found a page with all their numbers for you, now you've just got the easy bit of phoning them!
Industrial Kybosh
Just to stop Pixie from shouting at me down the phone again...

24) Me

I'll try my best to be there. That's all I can commit to. Naturally, I'd love to go, as the last one was a blast.
Mata
Too bloody right you'll be there otherwise I'll set Pixie on you! She might look cute and innocent but you should see her when she's smelt blood...
Queenie
Yay Inky has to come!!! So has everyone else of course!! happy.gif

Queenie has sorted out her accomodation for the meet so i am definatly coming!! YAY!!! So excited now laugh.gif laugh.gif
Cath Sparrow
My coming is getting more and more slim as R/L has decided to kick me in the guts and stomp on my head!!!!
Mata
QUOTE (Cath @ Dec 30 2003, 07:49 PM)
My coming is getting more and more slim as R/L has decided to kick me in the guts and stomp on my head!!!!

Aw, it does that sometimes... So what better reason to take the weekend off to come and make merry with us all in Winchester?
Cath Sparrow
I'll definatly see what I can do cause I really would like to come!
hinsley
i may be coming ifi can get te money even tho i told sps i was, but i might not.

did you know winchester is the 5th worst place to live in britain btw?
Mata
QUOTE (hinsley @ Jan 3 2004, 05:42 PM)

There was such uproar about that book around here when it came out, it was really funny. The reasons given were that it's dull to live hear, the centre of town can be pretty rowdy at pub-chucking out time and loads of the people are far too snooty. I thought it was great that the last point was proved completely true by all the people objecting to it! laugh.gif

I've been checking out the restaurant that I think it would be nice to go to. On Saturdays they close at 2:30pm and reopen at six (by which time we'll probably be at the pub!). Can most people get to the station for 1:00pm? If we walk to the pizza place at 1:15 that'll give us time to sit and eat. The restaurant is only a couple of minutes away from the station (it's Manhattens just up from the Westgate for anyone who knows Winchester) on the same road you come out on so it'll be really easy to find for anyone who's late.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 3 2004, 06:37 PM)
The reasons given were that it's dull to live hear, the centre of town can be pretty rowdy at pub-chucking out time and loads of the people are far too snooty.

Sounds like Broadstairs, where my dad lives. Everybody, stay out of Broadstairs. Actually, stay out of the whole of Kent.

And yeah, 1pm at the station is fine by me.
Tarantio
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 3 2004, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (hinsley @ Jan 3 2004, 05:42 PM)

There was such uproar about that book around here when it came out, it was really funny. The reasons given were that it's dull to live hear, the centre of town can be pretty rowdy at pub-chucking out time and loads of the people are far too snooty. I thought it was great that the last point was proved completely true by all the people objecting to it! laugh.gif

I've been checking out the restaurant that I think it would be nice to go to. On Saturdays they close at 2:30pm and reopen at six (by which time we'll probably be at the pub!). Can most people get to the station for 1:00pm? If we walk to the pizza place at 1:15 that'll give us time to sit and eat. The restaurant is only a couple of minutes away from the station (it's Manhattens just up from the Westgate for anyone who knows Winchester) on the same road you come out on so it'll be really easy to find for anyone who's late.

No worries, mate. Scumbernauld is number two. :S

-has lived there his whole life-

oh yeah, and reduce the numbers going by one. My new work took it upon themselves to disavow all knowledge of my warning at the interview saying "yes im going to england for a weekend on the 7th of febuary, so i do have holidays planned" and just gave me hours anyway. Maybe they thought I might want them "just in case" or maybe they figured they were better company than u guys. If any of u take this as an insult, btw, feel free to write and tell em how u feel. Just addy it to Tesco and it should get thrown out alongside all their other customer feedback mail, or given to santa for next christmas. Yeah.

-rant ends-

so, not gonna make it. Again. Next time, tesco, next time. Unless of course each and every one of you can change any arrangements u already have to put this thing on the sunday, since Im off from then til thursdays... -lol- ...

-is sad-
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Dec 30 2003, 11:33 AM)
Too bloody right you'll be there otherwise I'll set Pixie on you! She might look cute and innocent but you should see her when she's smelt blood...

Yep, that's right! biggrin.gif You'd better be there or there WILL be blood and it won't be mine. Grrrrrr! dry.gif

laugh.gif

I'll arrange a train to arrive around 1pm then. I think though that the nearest I can get to that is 1.30pm but I'll double check and let you know smile.gif
antagony
Aw always, I will be there in spirit. *sigh* Oh, the angst.
Mr Fuzzy
Since the jerky thing is rearing its head again I should inform all those planning to come that not only is jerky available in Winchester, there is also a shop stocking biltong.
leopold
What about Black Cherry Soda? I had some of that in Katz' Deli in NYC, and it was bloody gar-juss!
Jonman
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jan 7 2004, 06:32 AM)
Since the jerky thing is rearing its head again I should inform all those planning to come that not only is jerky available in Winchester, there is also a shop stocking biltong.

Mmm, biltong!

I feel a forum invasion of that shop is in order. See to it, Jerky Ensign Fuzzy!
Jonman
QUOTE (leopold @ Jan 7 2004, 07:32 AM)
What about Black Cherry Soda? I had some of that in Katz' Deli in NYC, and it was bloody gar-juss!

Just buy some black cherry flavoured syrup and tip it into Coke. That's how they make it here anyway!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.