Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spreading The Word
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Pages: 1, 2, 3
northerntigress
On Saturday night, a bunch of my friends were bored and looking up stuff on the internet, so I told them to go to Matazone. I showed them Samuri Lapin first, then we looked at the Mittens anims, then all the Little Goth Girls. We all share the same slightly-twisted sense of humour, so it was great. We stayed up til 2am just watching the screen!

We are all really tempted to get some of those T-Shirts, but I'd be worried about the shipping charges from UK to Canada. I might be worth it though.....

Keep up the great work Mata!!!

the Tigress
LoLo
QUOTE (northerntigress @ Jan 19 2004, 01:13 AM)
We are all really tempted to get some of those T-Shirts, but I'd be worried about the shipping charges from UK to Canada. I might be worth it though.....

Oh it is worth it. I must say that the shirts I have may have cost more than what I normally pay for a T-shirt, but they all look brand new still. The logo's don't crack or peal and you can just tell it's a quality shirt. I'd rather pay more for a shirt that lasts longer than pay little amounts for shirts that wear out fast. On top of that you could look super schway with matazone threads. biggrin.gif
EvilSpork
I agree, Lo, the shirts are really good quality. Considering my "I can smell your brains." shirt is still in great condition, and I have had it.. Well.. I've had it since hm.. well... Last year. Its not in my possesion at the moment, but it still looks great, along with all my newer matazone shirts. They are great, and I must have more!
Dreams On Hiatus
I still need to get one. laugh.gif
cristyblah
I think this website is awesome it is the best thing in the world. The first time I saw snowdrop and mittens was at a Rocky Horror Picture Show gathering and they had it going on the massive screen in the back and i thought it was the greatest thing in the world so i look at it all the time and i have a button i made out of one of the foroum things on my my little pony website haha. ph34r.gif Also, I just ordered a shirt and the shipping is pretty reasonable, i paid like 6 bucks thats better then when I shipped a poster to India!! I think Mata is awesome and I will continue to buy stuff. biggrin.gif
Mata
ohmy.gif My animations have been shown on a big screen to a crowd?!?!? Wheeeeee!!!!! biggrin.gif

Err... Anyway, 'glad you like the animations, and if you're worried about the shipping rates then you can check them out in advance by clicking on one of the 'add shipping' buttons in the shop and seeing what they are before you buy.

The more T-shirts you buy at once the cheaper the shipping works out per-top. I'm not like some websites that sell their stock cheap then add loads onto what it really costs to send things. Also, with the weakness of the US dollar at the moment the prices are a bit of a bargain!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Jan 20 2004, 03:41 AM)
I agree, Lo, the shirts are really good quality. Considering my "I can smell your brains." shirt is still in great condition, and I have had it.. Well.. I've had it since hm.. well... Last year. Its not in my possesion at the moment, but it still looks great, along with all my newer matazone shirts. They are great, and I must have more!

One of my tops has lasted brilliantly (This is my world LGG one) but the other one has stretched down one side (LGG goes nuts). It's still OK enough to wear though but I wish my t-shirts wouldn't do that sad.gif I think I need a new washing machine

/me goes to Comet biggrin.gif

EDIT: I'm sure it is my washing machine, I don't want people to think Mata's t-shirts are poo....coz they ain't.....they are brilliant!!!!! laugh.gif
cristyblah
I feel so special I didn't think Mata would actually see my post lol. But yes that is how I found about matazone was thru The Rocky I love you Mata haha. wink.gif
Mata
I look at a lot of the posts in here, but I don't usually reply to a lot of them otherwise I'd spend all day typing here and never getting any work done (although it has become harder to animate since I started these forums!).

Pixie, I've found that some of the first print run of the LGG goes nuts T-shirts seem to have had a problem with the white layer. They're fine when I get them but after about twenty or thirty washes they crack a bit. I'm quite annoyed about it actually because I take great pride in the quality of the prints I nag my printers into giving me, but apparently I didn't nag hard enough that time!
Rattgirl
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 23 2004, 10:15 AM)
ohmy.gif My animations have been shown on a big screen to a crowd?!?!? Wheeeeee!!!!! biggrin.gif

I have a friend in Australia who says she went to a local club near Perth to see some friends of hers in a band, and there were no less than 10 people wandering around in Matazone t-shirts. She thought it was odd until the band started playing and all of THEM were wearing matazone t-shirts, the drumkit was covered with Mr. Snaffleburgers, and they were showing the Mittens episodes on a screen behind them while they played happy.gif Apparently this band is one of your biggest fans down there tongue.gif

Also, with the weakness of the US dollar at the moment the prices are a bit of a bargain!

Hooray for our crappy economy!!!! Did anyone catch Bush's latest State of the Union? He claims our economy has undergone a major uprising thanks to "all of us"...how about "thanks to all of us, in spite of everything Washington did"? Ugh...I hate this president. But at least he made buying things from foreign countries cheaper!!!
cristyblah
lol I can understand why you wouldnt reply to all of them. Completely understandable, it was just an unexpected visit. biggrin.gif Thats really cool about the band in Australia.... really cool.
Mata
Err... I've only sent... Ooo, probably less than six T-shirts to Australia. It sounds like there's a major case of bootlegging going on there. Could you find out some more details about the band please, I'd be very interested in finding out where they bought their T-shirts from!

Actually the US economy has made it more expensive for you to buy things from other countries, it's just that because I sell in US dollars I then get hit by the rubbish exchange rate and I don't have time to spend several hours changing the prices in my shop everytime the dollar slumps and devalues even further. I have no idea what Bush is talking about when he says about a revival in your economy because this time last year $1000 = about 670, currenly $1000 = around 540. It's dropped a massive amount in it's value on the global market!
cristyblah
Yeah that does suck sometimes I don't like living in America Bush is so .... nvm... my point is is it has gotten rediculous.
Rattgirl
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 25 2004, 11:30 AM)
I have no idea what Bush is talking about when he says about a revival in your economy because this time last year $1000 = about 670, currenly $1000 = around 540. It's dropped a massive amount in it's value on the global market!

Yeah, I have no idea what Bush was talking about either. The bf and I were watching the State of the Union on MSNBC online, and we were both hollering at Bush-on-the-Screen that he was a lying sack of excrement...happy.gif I sure as heck know MY monetary situation hasn't improved a whit since the depression hit.

Regarding the band in Aussie...I'll try to get more info. Unless there's a large group of Aussies that have been getting their shirts mailed to them by cross-continental friends, that does seem pretty weird....
Enslaved
I have a friend in Australia who says she went to a local club near Perth to see some friends of hers in a band, and there were no less than 10 people wandering around in Matazone t-shirts. She thought it was odd until the band started playing and all of THEM were wearing matazone t-shirts, the drumkit was covered with Mr. Snaffleburgers, and they were showing the Mittens episodes on a screen behind them while they played  Apparently this band is one of your biggest fans down there

hmmm seen as i live near perth I will keep an eye out for underground t-shirt operations and make sure that if I see anyone with a bootleg'ged Matazone t-shirt I'll rip it off them and shove it up their.... ohmy.gif sorry I get kinda emotional about my matazone.
cristyblah
I just got my shirt in the mail and it looks great! Thank you Mata. smile.gif
Mata
No problem, I've messed up and order in the last couple of days for the first time in ages so a lady in the UK and a chap in the US have got eachother's T-shirts... Oops! Ah well, these things are bound to happen occasionally, I'm glad I got your one right and you like it.

You should've mentioned you are on my forums I would've put a few babges in with your T-shirt too!
Righteous
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 30 2004, 08:39 PM)
You should've mentioned you are on my forums I would've put a few babges in with your T-shirt too!

Sweet. I tell folks all the time about the site and the forums. I'll mention a few when I actually have the cash to order a shirt. dry.gif

I have a load of friends and acquaintences whom I tell about Matazone. So many guys I know love web animations and Matazone is DEFINATELY a primo site.
cristyblah
Aww really... *sniffle* i wish i would have known. Oh well, there will be another shirt order in the near future so you can do it then lol.
antagony
Well, I found out about this place from Sean, and I've told a few friends about it since then. None of them post on the forums, unfortunately, and I don't think they appreciate the animations as much as I do (except for Shibs, of course, but she's special smile.gif) but I'm still spreading the word!

I really want to buy some t-shirts, but I just can't afford them. The Singapore dollar is tied to the US dollar in some way (though it's worth quite a bit less) so our economy isn't doing too great either. Meh. Maybe I should convince my parents that I really need some new t-shirts...
Marsyas
I had a link to this site in my sig at another forum, and all of my friends magically followed me here. I like it because I can get away from the parts of the other forum that I detest, and the people here really let the inner me come out without the added pressure of being judged. You all are so very kind and openminded...

And it all started when someone in my AP Biology class last year wanted to show me the first Mittens animation...happy.gif
TerminalFrost
For me, looking at the animations and such started by clicking on the link in Marsyas' signature at the other message board we go to. I have shown my friends the other animations and they love them.
artist.unknown
I'm always surprised by all the people I run into who know about the anims even before I run my mouth about them. ^^ I earned my second semester computer credits by pretending to do work while I played the 'yes we have no weapons of mass destruction' game. Good times, good times...
Mata
Ah, Matazone, distracting people from their work since 2001 smile.gif
EvilSpork
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 10 2004, 07:09 AM)
Ah, Matazone, distracting people from their work since 2001 smile.gif

And making people scratch up 'bout $30 for a mittens t-shirt smile.gif That a certain female friend of mine still ought to give back to me.
Industrial Kybosh
A word of warning about the Matazone t-shirts - buying them can become rather addictive.

At this moment in time, I own three (I Can Smell Your Brains, Cannibal Sex Kitty and Mr. Snaffleburger), my girlfriend has two (the fuchsia Mittens and a skinni Samuri Lapin), and my mum another two (a brace of Little Goth Girls). I've bought seven t-shirts since I saw my first Matazone animation in late 2001, and still the cravings have not subsided...

Anyone up for forming a support group?
Hyperion
XD I -really- want to get a Cannibal Sex Kitten shirt.

But yeah, I showed a whole group of my "concert" friends (my school sucks - none of the students would appreciate the animations) about four of the animations at the Student Union a couple weeks ago... they were laughing so hard the rent-a-cops kicked us out... ;_; It was funny, though, like 20 people were crowded around my computer with Mittens showing off his garters... XD good times, good times. Mata, you are my hero. happy.gif

*points at InKy* He brought me here, yes'm he did. Blame that guy RIGHT THERE!!! * still pointing at InKy*
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (Hyperion @ Feb 14 2004, 05:29 AM)
*points at InKy* He brought me here, yes'm he did. Blame that guy RIGHT THERE!!! * still pointing at InKy*

It's rude to point, Hyp, darling tongue.gif

Yeah, she's my fault. I apologise unreservedly.

Still, she brightens the place up, donchathink?

/me pats li'l Tink
Hyperion
*glows*

Rude to point, true. But it's really all your fault. I did miss you guys, though. *snug*
OishiiOtaku
I think I'm spreading the word, btu not in a good way.

In my computer class, I visit matazone just about everyday and i just watch llg over and over. All the uptight, trendy kids in my class just sorta watch it, then say"oh" and turn away, thinking in their heads to enver talk to me again. I find it amusing.

AS for the non uptight kids, they love it, and I'm hoping they go home and visit it.
Righteous
I thought of something while succoming to a case of insomnia. Matazone is kind of like a disease. It spreads to one person who spreads it to others and so on and so on. What I'd like to know is who Mata (patient 0, if you will) told about Matazone so that it would spread the way it did? I'm really curious about that since all of us (to the best of my knowledge) heard about this place from a friend ho heard about this place from a friend who heard about this place from a friend and so on and so on.

I sound rather daft. Maybe I sould get some sleep.
Green Gecko
Nearly everyone I know loves Mata. Especially wittle Goth Girl.
LoLo
I was walking along campus last week and wearing my Mr. SB shirt, when I hear a guy say to his friend, "She got that shirt at matazone." I think that's the first time I've seen or heard someone from my area that had heard of it. I do get asked a lot where I get my shirts though.
Mata
The first people to be told were a few of my friends by email, Jonman was one of the first to be told about the first Mittens animation and I know that he passed it on to more people that he knew. I also posted it on a small message board that has a few goths from the south of England on it. As far as I can tell there were only about fifteen active members, if that many...

I've just done some digging and I found the original message that started it all!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wessexgoth/message/593

It reads:

Good wholesome fun

http://www.matazone.co.uk/kitty1.html

Mata

That was it, from that it all started!

It's really rather odd for me now to have my name known to people who I don't know, but I think it's something I'm going to have to get used to!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Jan 24 2004, 10:44 AM)
Pixie, I've found that some of the first print run of the LGG goes nuts T-shirts seem to have had a problem with the white layer. They're fine when I get them but after about twenty or thirty washes they crack a bit. I'm quite annoyed about it actually because I take great pride in the quality of the prints I nag my printers into giving me, but apparently I didn't nag hard enough that time!

So can I get a replacement then?! wink.gif laugh.gif

I am always going on about Matazone to my friends. I tell them about any new animations and also about my mates here and the meets we have.

So can we get a discount if we mention Matazone more than 5 times in a week? laugh.gif
Mata
Actually, if I had known about the slightly lower quality of the first print run I would've sent it back and done a recall/exchange on them all, but because the print only cracks after it's been worn and washed loads of times I didn't know about it myself until about nine months later when I noticed my one was cracking a bit. The trouble is that the first run and the later loads by that point were all combined so I have no idea what's what and I can't afford to bin the whole lot! It's not a major issue, but it's the kind of thing that bugs me. I always wanted T-shirts with prints that will look as good in ten years time as the first time you take them out of the packet, and while I've got that for all the other prints it annoys me that I've not got it for the first print run of this design.

Unfortunately there are no discounts available for pimping my site to your friends!
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
I told a lot of my friends in my class about it. I wonder if they come here... I know my best friend does.
gothictheysay
Actually, I have a recently newfound love for Skippy the Goth Kangaroo. I showed it to a friend of mine, and Little Goth Girl, and a bit of Mr. Snaffleburger. We both really enjoy Skippy, and we both appreciate LGG. She likes to spread the word too...

"Casey! Get in here! We're going to make you your dark side!"

Other Side, Dark Side, same thing. tongue.gif

(Every time I got through Skippy, I can't stop laughing after Lord Oberon-Darkness-of-the-Night says "Dark like my soul.")
CommieBastard
I've told all my friends about Matazone, though quite a few knew about it already. It's fast becoming, I think, one of those sites that most people know about.

On March 1st, I wore my LGG shirt to a Placebo concert, and ran into Becca, a friend of Mata's, who asked me if I knew him when she saw the shirt. Small world, neh?
Mata
It's getting a lot bigger too, the Zombie Kitties game is bringing thousands of new people to the site everyday... Soon the whole world shall know my name. Mwa ha ha ha ha. Yep.
Linda T
Oh, dear.

Recognisable signsl

I lost my Samurai Lapin badge, last week.

Try explaining that to the lost property people......
Patient #212
Well, I think we all know that Matazone kind of spreads through word of mouth/keyboard. I heard about it from a friend who heard about it from a friend who probably heard about it from a friend.

It's funny... I've talked about it with some people and they've expressed interest and I've given the address on little scraps of paper. Other people, however, think the whole thing sounds very suspicious. A couple friends I swear are under the impression that I've joined some sort of sick cult and they're probably conspiring to force me into chuch conselling to make sure I'm not sacrificing black cats and/or plotting to violently overthrow the government on the weekends. I don't know what gave them the bad image and I've tried to remedy it, but I guess they're just sheltered and easily frightened. Haha. I've learned to understand which people will be open to it and which won't.

*Sigh* I want to get a t-shirt. I will, eventually... when I have money.
Sir Maxerpopple
I've told many about the website, amongst some people I am an archivist of weird internet things. However they are'nt the forumizing type, so one ought not expect any known visitors upon my behalf.
Mata
Hi 212,

Well, this is the kind of site that tends to form groups of friends, you've either seen it or you haven't, and I guess that can make those who don't know about it feel a bit suspicious. Don't worry about the religion thing, we've got people here with many differing faiths, the only thing we (and I) really care about is that people want to talk about their ideas and do so in a respectful manner to eachother. As long as that's held to then things run smoothly here.

Of course, the idea of listening and responding to the opinions of others is considered by some groups to be a very dangerous way of thinking, leading to all kinds of deviancy. There are rules to these forums (there's a link to them in the header of every page, middle-left) but they are just in place to make sure everyone stays polite and open-minded. Everyone has the complete right to walk away with their ideas utterly unchanged, but they don't have the right to tell other people that they are categorically wrong (within the sensible boundaries of non-acceptance of hateful attitudes). Again, this is something that occasionally groups do have issues with.

Generally this is a lovely set of forums to be involved with and the people here are very nice. Except for me. Apparently I eat puppies (so Mr Fuzzy, a friend and mod on these boards, would hace people believe).
LoLo
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 6 2004, 05:22 PM)
Except for me. Apparently I eat puppies (so Mr Fuzzy, a friend and mod on these boards, would hace people believe).

I thought it was kittens and only the bad ones at that. laugh.gif
Tigersong
QUOTE (LoLo @ Apr 6 2004, 07:36 PM)
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 6 2004, 05:22 PM)
Except for me. Apparently I eat puppies (so Mr Fuzzy, a friend and mod on these boards, would hace people believe).

I thought it was kittens and only the bad ones at that. laugh.gif

Good Lord! Mata eats puppies AND kitties (but only the bad ones.) How horrible! I have a strange feeling somehow this might make its way into the Matabloid... tongue.gif
Mata
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Apr 7 2004, 02:36 AM)
Good Lord! Mata eats puppies AND kitties (but only the bad ones.) How horrible! I have a strange feeling somehow this might make its way into the Matabloid... tongue.gif

In some parts of the world it's considered entirely acceptable...
Tigersong
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 7 2004, 09:48 AM)

Yes, but not in your part of the world. tongue.gif

You puppy-eater, you. </spam>
Righteous
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 7 2004, 10:48 AM)
Good Lord!  Mata eats puppies AND kitties (but only the bad ones.)  How horrible!  I have a strange feeling somehow this might make its way into the Matabloid... tongue.gif

As well as that one Chinese takeout place accross town...

I saw the Nine-Mouthed Baby Game on a free games site once. I'm sure that brought a load of people here. Hmm. I'll have to add this to the Matazone disease metaphor. Maybe next time I get a case of insomnia.

I've told a bunch of guys who hang out at the hub at my college about the site. I also have a link posted on my site. Pretty soon, this place will be as popular as NewGrounds.
Patient #212
Hi Mata!

Don't worry about the religion thing, we've got people here with many differing faiths, the only thing we (and I) really care about is that people want to talk about their ideas and do so in a respectful manner to eachother. As long as that's held to then things run smoothly here. Of course, the idea of listening and responding to the opinions of others is considered by some groups to be a very dangerous way of thinking, leading to all kinds of deviancy.

Absolutely. That's one of the main reasons I come here (besides enjoying your animations): to explore opinions and philosophies that maybe vary a bit from those that I encounter in the rest of my life. Conservative Catholic academy students and exclusively Republican family members don't contribute much towards creating a heterogeneous society for myself. Exploration into different religions, political beliefs, lifestyles, etc. is the best way to discover yourself, I figure. But since I'm surrounded by people who seem to be very set in their ways, I think they like to assume the worst about things they're not familiar with. I think some of them just didn't identify with the kind of not-quite-mainstream humor one might find on Matazone. Some of them haven't even looked and just heard me use the words "anarchy" and/or "atheism" in some reference or another to things discussed on the site. Well, it doesn't bother me. I love what I find here, so I'm sure I'll still recommend Matazone to those who are a little more open-minded.

And you eat kittens as well as puppies? I never would have guessed. Well, fine, as long as this trend doesn't extend to small children.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.