Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Now I Know Why The Population Of Canada Is So Low
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Jaq
I know I've complained about this before... I think it was last year on the boards. Anyways. I'd just like to point out that every place on earth including siberia and Antarctica is warmer than where I am right now.

It's -53C(-63F)with the windchill. Without the windchill it's a balmy -39C (-38F)

I'm staying home from school. dry.gif I'm just that much of a wimp. tongue.gif
CommieBastard
Think it's about zero degrees Centigrade at the moment here in sunny London.
talking to faeries
God that's cold...I don't blame you for staying home, and there's me thinking it was cold here and it's only like 1C...I'm a wimp!!!
Jonman
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jan 27 2004, 09:54 AM)
I know I've complained about this before... I think it was last year on the boards. Anyways. I'd just like to point out that every place on earth including siberia and Antarctica is warmer than where I am right now.

It's -53C(-63F)with the windchill. Without the windchill it's a balmy -39C (-38F)

Hold on. Doesn't air liquify at that temperature? No wonder you stayed home from school - it would've taken you ages to swim there.
Jaq
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 27 2004, 11:22 AM)
Hold on. Doesn't air liquify at that temperature? No wonder you stayed home from school - it would've taken you ages to swim there.

Hmm... I thought it looked a bit soupy out today.
Oni Usagi
Just below freezing here right now, lower with windchill. And I'm pretty sure it's been worse the last two days.
Ashley
-50 C with the windchill. Gah - they're still making us go to school.
MistressAlti
9F (-13C) here in northern Missouri. Ears about fell off on the way to government this morning. dry.gif
Jaq
QUOTE (Ashley @ Jan 27 2004, 12:28 PM)

Really? Wow, where do you live?
Jonman
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jan 27 2004, 11:58 AM)
-50 C with the windchill.  Gah - they're still making us go to school.

I'm guessing either

( a ) in an igloo

( b ) on Venus

both of the above.
Ocean!
Igloos area ctually quite warm. No that I'd know.

It's around -30 here in Fort Mac.. Cold... Could be colder...
Jaq
QUOTE (Ocean! @ Jan 27 2004, 01:31 PM)
Igloos area ctually quite warm. No that I'd know.

It's around -30 here in Fort Mac.. Cold... Could be colder...

Yup, they can get up to around the freezing point. Nice and toasty if you compare it to the outside of the igloo.
Oni Usagi
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 27 2004, 03:07 PM)
-50 C with the windchill.  Gah - they're still making us go to school.

I'm guessing either

( a ) in an igloo

( b ) on Venus

both of the above.

Isn't Venus a hot planet? Like so hot that the acid rain never hits the ground?
Jonman
QUOTE (Oni Usagi @ Jan 27 2004, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (Jonman @ Jan 27 2004, 03:07 PM)

I'm guessing either

( a ) in an igloo

( b ) on Venus

both of the above.

Isn't Venus a hot planet? Like so hot that the acid rain never hits the ground?

Oh yeah, you're right. I was thinking of Uranus. Always get them confused. Stupid idea, naming the planets after Roman dieties that look alike (big beards, curly hair etc). May as well call them all Jeff. It'd save a lot of confusion. Mind you, it'd no doubt put a lot of astonomers out of work, causing mass unemployment, which in turn would lead to poverty, rioting, and no doubt the end of civilisation as we know it. So that's why all the planets aren't called Jeff after all....it all falls into place now!
Ocean!
Yesterday it was -47 with windchill, and all they did for the elementary kids was take away recess. But, it's exam week for me, so no problem, I don't have to go to school.
oobunnie
QUOTE (Ocean! @ Jan 27 2004, 08:04 PM)
Yesterday it was -47 with windchill, and all they did for the elementary kids was take away recess. But, it's exam week for me, so no problem, I don't have to go to school.

My friend who lives up there said it was something like -71 with the windchill out at sincrude, so the lot of them are being given the week off.

Today the weather is somewhere around -49 to -58 with the windchill. I to refuse to go out and about.

But someone told me its supposed to go up to -30 by Friday. Yay I supose.
Scriptkiddie
Now? Right now it is...like 60's sad.gif
In the summer its around 100-110ish...
cheese is funny
i was told that it was a whopping 25F without wind. with wind it was about 15 or so... nothing too bad, i s'pose. not compared to some of the others that posted here... poor souls ye be.
Tigersong
Okay, everyone who is above -20 degree celsius (-4 F) can just stop complaining. Yes, it was -53 here today in Saskatchewan. And I still went to school, so mnah at you, Jaq! Wimp! tongue.gif Although it really is quite painful when you breath in the cold cold air and it stings your trachea and lungs on the way down. Also the fact that your nostrils stick together when you breath in is very annoying. Plus the whole losing feeling in your fingers after several seconds, despite the mitts you are wearing.
Rattgirl
It was a warm day today....the high got up to 6 degrees Fahrenheit!! *dances around*
sjbbandgeek
all year round it stays a comfortable 50-80o f, good ol california.
Ashley
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Jan 27 2004, 05:40 PM)
Okay, everyone who is above -20 degree celsius (-4 F) can just stop complaining.  Yes, it was -53 here today in Saskatchewan.  And I still went to school, so mnah at you, Jaq!  Wimp!  tongue.gif  Although it really is quite painful when you breath in the cold cold air and it stings your trachea and lungs on the way down.  Also the fact that your nostrils stick together when you breath in is very annoying.  Plus the whole losing feeling in your fingers after several seconds, despite the mitts you are wearing.

Jesus, someone else who lives in saskatchewan. Its taken six year for Saskatchewan to lose the race... the race being "Who do I randomly meet online first? Newfoundlander or Saskatchewanian?" Gah.

(actually, it was won by someone else two months ago. *looks around* but you felt special there, didn't you? I suppose you live in Saskatoon?)
TigerLily013
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jan 27 2004, 11:54 AM)

Ha!

Honestly, we do not get that cold of temperatures here in Ontario. Sure the windchill can be a b*tch, but meh, it'll all go away eventually.

Until then, I suggest you smile, suck it up and go shovel some snow.
sammi
Brrr... This post is making me freezing just thinking about it all.... *shivers and kicks the heating pipes which hasn't been working* dry.gif *scowl* Stupid old building... Anywho, I think the lowest temperature in January was -20 (Celsius) and this February has been -18 so far, without wind chill, that is, which now seems relatively warm compared to everyone else! ;_; *hugs* STAY WARM, EVERYONE~! <3
spiffilicious05
I live in upstate ny. Schools were closed the other day not because of snow. Oh no. They were closed because it was -40 F out.

It's now -5 degrees out, the news man has been calling it a heat wave. blink.gif
Jonman
All the english forumites need to read this thread, then vow never to complain about the weather again.
Mr Fuzzy
But how would I manage to conform to international stereotypes then?
Jonman
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jan 28 2004, 07:02 AM)
But how would I manage to conform to international stereotypes then?

Easy. Drink tea, have bad teeth, call everyone 'old chap', 'guvnor' or 'milord', and hate the French.

Can't be that hard can it?
Tigersong
Bloody hell.

So, today it's -42 Celsius out... that's around -40 Farenheit, anyway. Don't know what it is with the windchill... probably around -50 again. Bloody fricking cold ONCE AGAIN! Also, it was foggy as hell - don't know what that was about. And my bus broke down! Oh joy of joys. So, instead of taking about 10 minutes to get to the University, it took me an hour and a half. Plus there was a lot of unpleasant waiting in the cold. dry.gif Anyway, I missed my first class. What a wonderful way to start the day. mad.gif
Jaq
Yeah. Earlier this morning it was -59 with the windchill...

I can't miss school today. That's why I'm bugging my brother to drive me. What a good brother he is! Everyone should have a house brother. Handy things they are.

Yeah. I'm still a wimp but I'm a wimp with resources and long underwear!
Tigersong
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jan 28 2004, 09:52 AM)
Yeah. I'm still a wimp but I'm a wimp with resources and long underwear!

I forgot to wear my long underwear this morning. I'm not sure how I forget such an important thing. Hence, I am now sterile. laugh.gif
Jaq
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Jan 28 2004, 10:02 AM)
I forgot to wear my long underwear this morning. I'm not sure how I forget such an important thing. Hence, I am now sterile. laugh.gif

Gnah! That's just evil and bad and wrong and stupid and did I mention bad?

Get thee to a purveyor of long underwear! (or a nunnery... I'm sure they have long johns too)
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Jan 28 2004, 04:02 PM)
Yeah.  I'm still a wimp but I'm a wimp with resources and long underwear!

Nah, the swimmers will thaw out fine. It's the heat they don't like.

Of course, the instrument used to fit them might be the worse for the cold...
Tigersong
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Jan 28 2004, 10:41 AM)
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Jan 28 2004, 04:02 PM)
Yeah.  I'm still a wimp but I'm a wimp with resources and long underwear!

Nah, the swimmers will thaw out fine. It's the heat they don't like.

Of course, the instrument used to fit them might be the worse for the cold...

M-hm. My point exactly. There's only so much shrinkage that can occur before permanent damage results. laugh.gif
sjbbandgeek
it's a brisk 67o down here.
What is this longunderwear you speak of?
antagony
It usually gets around 35 centigrade most days here, though lately it's been raining so it's probably more in the 25-30 range. There are two seasons here: the hot season and the hotter season. The hot season is when it rains all the time, and it's hot and humid and you can't go outside because of the crappy weather.

Tropical islands can have miserable weather too!
Tigersong
QUOTE (sjbbandgeek @ Jan 28 2004, 05:13 PM)
it's a brisk 67o down here.
What is this longunderwear you speak of?

You're kidding right?

If you're serious, I hate you. If you're joking, I stilll hate you. You live in a country where it's too bloody warm.

Long underwear = something like... a pair of boxerbriefs, but the legs extend all the way down to your ankles, like trousers. Usually made of some warm cotton-ish material. Very warm.
sammi
I don't trust long underwear... ph34r.gif Anywho, basically all it is is, well, sorta like thin pants or a top (some people even have a full suit or something of it...) except very, very warm. The ones my grandmum tried to get me were actually kinda' silky, but they can be cotton. Doesn't really matter... I wish it were 67 degrees up here. That would literally be heaven. I hope heaven is that temperature. No warmer and no colder. Actually, that's a lie. I wish heaven were 75 degrees or so. ^___^ Yep... Ayyyeee, that's such a nice thought. 75 degrees. Wow. ~_~ *sigh*
jicama
did you know that our over night temp was record breaking it was so cold?! and head of the power cord on my brother's car snapped off this morning! and it's the end that's attached to the battery blanket! also, ice fog is the crappest crap that ever sucked!

love canada, hate winter.

ashley: yes we (tigersong, jaq and i) live in s'toon, but we're from pa. where are you?

antagony: any time you want to trade places, call me. seriously, i would give anything for that kind of weather! i love it when it's warm and humid, but half the bloody year it's always dry and cold!
sjbbandgeek
That's why people both hate and love California.
Ashley
QUOTE (jicama @ Jan 28 2004, 08:31 PM)
did you know that our over night temp was record breaking it was so cold?! and head of the power cord on my brother's car snapped off this morning! and it's the end that's attached to the battery blanket! also, ice fog is the crappest crap that ever sucked!

love canada, hate winter.

ashley: yes we (tigersong, jaq and i) live in s'toon, but we're from pa. where are you?

antagony: any time you want to trade places, call me. seriously, i would give anything for that kind of weather! i love it when it's warm and humid, but half the bloody year it's always dry and cold!

Regina. No one lives here. I'm from St. John's though. laugh.gif
arpeggiodreams
I live in California... in the winter, it usually hovers around freezing, and in the summer, it's over 100 F for weeks on end. Tis terrible.
antagony
I live in California... in the winter, it usually hovers around freezing, and in the summer, it's over 100 F for weeks on end. Tis terrible.

Ah, well, in central Canada, it's -40 in winder and 40 in summer (all centigrade, of course). Now that's bad weather.
Jonman
QUOTE (jicama @ Jan 28 2004, 07:31 PM)
did you know that our over night temp was record breaking it was so cold?!

Argh!

*clutches records*

Do what you will, but spare my vinyl!
jicama
GRRRRR! i hate my bus!!!! in this kind of weather, it's very important that the buses run on time so that people aren't left standing in the cold! my bus has been early all week! it was early on monday, so i missed it. on tuesday, i went outside early, and it was earlier, so i missed it again! yesterday i got a ride, but today was determined not to miss it for a third time so i went out really early. AND IT WAS LATE!!! i waited in the $^#@*! cold weather for 10 minutes, just standing there freezing my extremities off!

ok, ok, calm down jic.... i understand that traffic can make it difficult to get to each stop at an exact time, but try telling your toes that when they are painful little ice cubes! it should be a law that every bus stop in saskatchewan be given a heated bus shelter!

also, jonman, that was a horrid pun. feel shame!
Ocean!
This topic jynxed us. -50 and lower everyday. But, thankfully, according to the paper, we're not into record breaking temperatures all that much yet, we've only broken one this week.
jicama
perhaps we aren't jynxed after all! the weather channel says it'll be up to -9 by the end of next week! doesn't say what kind of windchill to expect though...

i just can't wait for the days when i can go out barefoot! is it june yet?!
Marsyas
QUOTE (jicama @ Jan 29 2004, 11:27 PM)
i just can't wait for the days when i can go out barefoot! is it june yet?!

Amen to that...I work on staff at various band camps, and I like running around on the blacktop without shoes when it's about 90 degrees (F)...ah, the fun times I've had getting totally baked...

Well, that does get old after a while. I'd like to just relax on a 75 degree day in the shade of a cozy tree while wearing limited clothing...happy.gif

It's 15 degrees (F) right now...tomorrow it's supposed to be about 4 degrees or so in the morning...should be interesting. But this is Kentucky, so yeah, that is freaking cold. You couldn't pay me to live in Canada during the winter months...no way.
jicama
i agree with rick mercer. paul martin should adopt a tropical island as a canadian territory! tongue.gif i'd move there...

for the non-canadians on the forum- rick mercer is... well i guess you could call him jon stewart's canadian counterpart. (do people of the uk know of jon stewart? i hope so 'cause i can't think of a british analogy...) he does pseudo journalism, and is one of the funniest people alive.
Ocean!
Keeps on getting colder.... *hums*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.