Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Need Glasses
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Pixelgoth
Soooooo, I went to the opticians on Tuesday for my annual I-use-a-computer-all-day-every-day free eye check and apparently I need glasses now sad.gif I'm getting old! dry.gif

Ah but it's not all that bad as I get to choose a funky pair that make me look like a sexy secretary wink.gif PLUS one of my best friends is an optician so I can get a good deal and some honest advice about what looks good on me. Also, they aren't for wearing all the time just for prolonged computer use, reading and driving.

Just a question then, how many of you are glass wearers and what are the ups and downs of this? Do you prefer glasses or contacts?
Sir Psycho Sexy
I'm ment to wear glasses for reading things that are far away, its not really an issue because its only one eye thats really a problem, the other ones fine so the bad one just snoozes most of the time tongue.gif
saucy_tara
I wear glasses all the time (well, sort of) and I love my new pair, they are Storm ones and very swish indeed. I may or may not post a pic of me in them..... rolleyes.gif
talking to faeries
I've had to wear glasses since I was about 6ish. I don't mind so much, but it's a pain if I want to do something which involves taking off my glasses, like swimmimg, cos I can't see very well at all. But now I've invested in a pair of prescription goggles so I can see when I swim.

The biggest pain is that my glasses are really expensive. The lenses I have are so thik that they don't fit in the frames properly so I have to have them specially thinned. All in all, the lenses alone cost around 100 which is a bit of a pain in the arse!!
franken-sarah
Ohh, glasses are sooo sexy!! Yeah, go for the saucy secretary look!! I'm slightly short sighted in my left eye and used to find, when I was speeding along on my gorgeous honda, that I'd sometimes feel slightly dizzy when I looked up from the dials. So, went to opticians and got glasses, D.K.N.Y. ones which are kinda like a rectangle shape, but I rarely need to wear them. The only weird thing I found was because they're really narrow I often used to look over the top of them which meant that one minute everything was in sharp focus and the next it was kinda fuzzy which was a bit disorientating and kinda like a friday night type feeling!! laugh.gif
Jonman
I pretty much can't function without me gogs. It's not too much of a bind, though obviously, if I could wave a magic wand, and give myself 20/20 instantly, I would.

The most important piece of advice for specs-puchasers ever
Insomuchas you can afford it, don't worry about the price. Don't skimp on them. Get the frames you want, the ones that are styling and look good on you, whether they're cheap, expensive, designer or standard. Get the best possible lenses you can, super thin if necessary (I suspect that you've only got very mild myopia, so thinness won't be a problem), scratch resistant, anti-glare and the works.
Make sure you try on a butt-load of styles of frames, and remember, different styles suit different people. I had a friend who had a wicked pair of gogs that looked excellant - I tried on the same pair in the opticians, and I looked like a plank. Anyone can look good in specs - it's just a matter of finding the pair that complement your particular face and colouring. Ooh, and take a couple of friends to the opticians for sartorial advice

This I have learnt from wearing specs for over 10 years. Back when I was a young'un, and me ma would buy me specs for me, I used to hate wearing them, as of course, she picked ones that she liked the look of, which made me look like an utter dork. So I wore contacts for a few year (gas-permeables) and they were a fricking nightmare. Finally, I went and got myself a wicked pair of tasty specs that actually looked good on me, and binned the contacts. Once I had a pair that looked good, I didn't feel self-conscious about them anymore.

G'luck missus!
Marsyas
I have astigmatism, so I get glasses for reading, working at the computer, etc...

You know how sometimes when you're little, you like to stand in a doorway, close one eye, look, alternate eyes and look at the other side of the door? Whenever I did, the image always moved down and to the left, but I always thought that was normal...happy.gif Wasn't until I had to do my AP English reading over the summer that I started getting these wicked headaches. I'd just be sitting there thinking, "Now I know that it's annoying to have to read Jane Eyre over the summer, but WTF it isn't THAT bad!" Made sense after I got it checked out....
laugh.gif oh well....
CommieBastard
Last time I went to the opticians, I was told I was very very mildy long-sighted and didn't need glasses. Then again, that was at least five or six years ago and I've had several thousand hours of computer use and reading lots and lots of books since then, perhaps I should get checked out again...
FurryMammal
Mine broke yesterday, just one more thing in a long chain of annoying incidents. If you're gonna have glasses MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SPARES! Or else you keep walking into things *rubs head* dry.gif laugh.gif
Pixelgoth
Thanks guys.

I went to my mate's opticians this lunchtime and picked out a pair of small plum colour matte metal framed glasses. They aren't rectangular but they aren't round they are kinda inbetween and angular.

The looked good basically and luckily they weren't designer so it won't cost me a fortune. I am getting anti-glare as recommended by Mel smile.gif

I am really excited about it but I'd give that about a week and then I'll get bored again! dry.gif

I have a stigmatism in my right eye which is noticeable when I am being tested but every day use and I couldn't tell the difference. I put it down to too much time on Matazone and therefore shall be sending the bill to Mata!! laugh.gif tongue.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I've worn glasses since I was 10, I hated it at first and only wore them when I really had to until when I was 14 and I went into Hospital and I just couldn;t be bothered to take them off anymore so I've worn them all the time since then.
I dunno if mine suit me but then I get really self concious without them, the only thing that really bothers me is if I go to Alton Towers or some other theme park type thing I have to keep taking them off and I can't see a thing so I don't get the whole experience - grrr!

Have to go get my eyes checked soon, I recon I've got so much worse over the last year...eep! But I really want some emo stylee ones, I'm sick of metal, I always chew the paint off, but just on one side (cos I always put them in my mouth when I do my hair)
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
I'm supposed to, cos I have dodgy eyes, but they annoyed me so I havent worn them for ages. The optitian guy said it was ok last time as they dont actually help my vision much, just make my eyes less cross eyed and silly looking. Couldnt be having that now could I?

However I think my eyes have got worse and I want to be able to aim at pool so I'm going to go get an eye test and maybe get contacts. I just recieved a free eye test thingy from the eye people so it'll be soonish.
blink.gif
WeeJ
Don't stress Sam, you look great with or without glasses smile.gif I'm supposes to wear some but i hate them. They don't make adult looking glasses for people my size dry.gif
Fallen1015
i wear glasses when i wake up late in the morning, but i wear contacts when i actually care.. so i like contacts better.. *shrugs*
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Jan 29 2004, 05:41 PM)
I have a stigmatism in my right eye

Ah, is that what I'm not supposed to call lazy eye?
Marsyas
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jan 29 2004, 04:37 PM)
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Jan 29 2004, 05:41 PM)
I have a stigmatism in my right eye

Ah, is that what I'm not supposed to call lazy eye?

Well....

It's a visual defect in which the unequal curvature of one or more refractive surfaces of the eye, usually the cornea, prevents light rays from focusing clearly at one point on the retina, resulting in blurred vision.

So no, not really. We just don't see straight out of both eyes, but you can't really tell just by looking at them unless it's severe or if you have the equipment to see it up close.
LoLo
I have to wear reading glasses since my right eye is weak and my left eye makes up for the difference. If I do something like sit on the computer for long periods of times or am reading a book I am supposed to wear them. It seems as time has gone on that my perscription has gotten lighter though so that's a plus. The only problem I see with them is that I don't have to wear them all the time, so I don't wear them enough. Sometimes it's just a pain to remember to bring my glasses to school with me, or find where I set them last when I'm at a computer, or even remember to bring them to work with me. I mostly use them now when I am really tired (and can actually find them) so my eyes hurt from the strain put on the left one, or when I know that I'm going to be spending all day at my computer or with my nose in my book. I need a sexy chain to hang them from my neck so I don't forget. laugh.gif

Glasses are sexy, ask anyone! When I show people my pics with glasses on they swoon for some reason. It happens when I actually wear mine too. It also gives that added unintentional thought that one is smart cause they are wearing glasses, and earns you a little extra respect. It's funny really. Being found sexy and getting respect, who could ask for more? laugh.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Marsyas @ Jan 29 2004, 10:59 PM)
So no, not really. We just don't see straight out of both eyes, but you can't really tell just by looking at them unless it's severe or if you have the equipment to see it up close.

So what is it when one eye looks in another direction?
Marsyas
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jan 29 2004, 06:27 PM)
So no, not really.  We just don't see straight out of both eyes, but you can't really tell just by looking at them unless it's severe or if you have the equipment to see it up close.

Abnormal???

I don't know. My flute teacher has an eye that looks away to the side, sort of like a lazy fish...freaks me out in lessons because I can never tell if he's looking at me or not. But he's an amazing flautist, so I don't really care...
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
I think glasses are better. Without them, I look like a mole.... ph34r.gif
Ocean!
I have glasses. I look horrible in them, but contacts make my eyes cloud over, and I really can't be bothered with them anymore. So I only wear them when I go quading now, other than that, I skip 'em totally, or wear glasses.

My advice: Get some cleansing spray or gel, with built in anti-fog, and go through doors backwards if you live in a cold area.
LoLo
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jan 29 2004, 03:27 PM)
So no, not really.  We just don't see straight out of both eyes, but you can't really tell just by looking at them unless it's severe or if you have the equipment to see it up close.

It's a stigmatism (sp?) also, just a severe one.
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (talking to faeries @ Jan 29 2004, 03:47 AM)
I've had to wear glasses since I was about 6ish. I don't mind so much, but it's a pain if I want to do something which involves taking off my glasses, like swimmimg, cos I can't see very well at all. But now I've invested in a pair of prescription goggles so I can see when I swim.

I have found my soulmate. wub.gif
laugh.gif
Seriously, though, I don't find too many people who have had to wear glasses since first or second grade like me. And most people who do need optical assistance of some type wear contacts 24/7 if anything, because for some reason they think that glasses look dorky or something. rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (FurryMammal @ Jan 29 2004, 09:24 AM)
Mine broke yesterday, just one more thing in a long chain of annoying incidents. If you're gonna have glasses MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SPARES! Or else you keep walking into things *rubs head*

Hear, hear. My glasses broke a couple years ago when I didn't have a spare pair, and I had to skip classes and homework assignments for a day-and-a-half until I could get them fixed, because it's hopeless trying to do anything with my crappy eyesight. I couldn't watch TV, go on the computer, read, nothing.

I've been encouraged for years by my eye doctors to get contacts instead, because I guess glasses just aren't helping me as much as they should anymore. Doesn't make much sense to me but whatever. I'm too chicken to go with contacts though. The idea of sticking things in my eyes doesn't bode too well with me. blink.gif
Trident
Contacts for sure. They...aren't...there tongue.gif. Yesh.
Pikasyuu
I'm supposed to wear glasses what with having super-really-bad vision and whatnot, but I never do because I either lose them or break them.

We're supposed to get colour contacts in the spring, but I doubt it'll happen. It's probably 'tacts anyway. wink.gif
Enslaved
Pixiegoth - I've had to wear glasses since I was in 2nd grade and as soon as I could I got contacts. they're are soooo much better coz u cant see the outline of a glasses frame, everywhere u look. Downside to contacts is u can only wear them 8 hrs a day and I wear mine alot more than that. after a few years a "haze" (nice diagnosis optometrist) has developed over my pupil and i was told if i keep wearing contacts for longer than i should, they wont let me wear them anymore. I went and bought a new pair of glasses today dry.gif they are so damn expensive but hey, they are stylish. My supposed friend stepped on my old pair about 6 months ago so i've been wearing contacts almost everyday since then (please dont tell my optometrist that) sad.gif
Pixelgoth
Firstly I have a slight stigmatism in my right eye which means the eye ball is rugby ball shaped rather than regular wink.gif It does not mean I have a squint, my eye looks in the wrong direction or I'm a freak *cough Commie cough* tongue.gif

I can't wear contacts because of it as I am reliably informed by my optician friend as the eyeball has to be regular shaped. I could get some made specially but it's really expensive and difficult.

Besides, if I only have to wear them for prolonged computer use, driving or reading what's the point? I hate putting things in my eyes, I prefer the idea of having glasses (they are sexy Lo) biggrin.gif

Thanks for everyones contibutions though, most appreciated smile.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Jan 30 2004, 02:55 PM)
Firstly I have a slight stigmatism in my right eye which means the eye ball is rugby ball shaped rather than regular wink.gif It does not mean I have a squint, my eye looks in the wrong direction or I'm a freak *cough Commie cough* tongue.gif

I didn't say that tongue.gif I was just wondering what it was called, a girl I'm semi-friends with has it.
Cath Sparrow
I'm the same as you Pixie I'm surposed to wear mine for reading, computers and other close work and driving so seeing as my job involves lots of close work I put them on when I getin the car in the morning and take them off when I get home. I surpose I should use them when I'm doing this but I never do or when I'm reading. blink.gif My optician told me I had 1 short sighted eye and 1 long about typical of me cant do anything easy. dry.gif The main problem I have with mine are cause I dont wear them all the time is smuged lenses which really bugs me. mad.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
smudged lenses are scum of the earth! I wear mine all the time but I keep smudging my lenses anyway and it gets on my nerves *grrr* especially seeing as I think I've got something perminantly stuck to them...grrrrrrh!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jan 30 2004, 05:47 PM)
I didn't say that tongue.gif I was just wondering what it was called, a girl I'm semi-friends with has it.

Sorry Commie! Didn't mean to have a dig......err....who am I kidding! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Cath, I think we pretty much are in the same boat.

I shall be getting my new glasses on Thursday so I shall be showing them off at the weekend wink.gif I'd appreciate lots of comments about how wonderful/sexy/gorgeous I look in specs regardless of what I actually look like! tongue.gif
the lil' pie fairy
glasses aren't that bad...as long as you like them yourself! i wear them for distance and when i want things sharpening up cause i have an astigmatism too and it makes things blurrier. then i wear coloured contacts if im off to the cinema or something, cause firstly the green eyes are cool and secondly they sort the distance problem out too! just not the astigmatism dry.gif

anyways, working in an opticians always helps, i got my glasses for free instead of 65! biggrin.gif and now i know all about eyes...always handy.
talking to faeries
QUOTE (FurryMammal @ Jan 29 2004, 05:24 PM)
Mine broke yesterday, just one more thing in a long chain of annoying incidents. If you're gonna have glasses MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SPARES! Or else you keep walking into things *rubs head* dry.gif laugh.gif

Gah, I hate it when my glasses break. I remember one time when I was still in school doing PE (God I hated that), anyway, there I was running around when one of the lenses came out of my glasses and typically I didn't have a spare pair. It was a pretty good excuse for getting out of PE cos I coudn't fix them and I couldn't see a bloody thing. The ony problem was that I had to walk around with these glasses which only had one lense, I looked so stupid especially cos I coudn' tell how far away the ground was when I walked so I was lifting my feet like a foot in the air blink.gif It's pretty hard doing things with both eyes when one can't see and the other one has perfect vision.
Mata
Hey Sam, you _could_ try getting me to pay for your glasses but I've been getting eye strain lately so I think that I should be billing you all if I ever need to get any myself!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 2 2004, 02:24 PM)
Hey Sam, you _could_ try getting me to pay for your glasses but I've been getting eye strain lately so I think that I should be billing you all if I ever need to get any myself!

Not sure that would stand up in court tongue.gif
Fluffy
I have a stigmatism in my right eye, and contacts work for me. I didn't have to get them specially made, because my stigmatism is exactly 1.25 degrees, and they make generic lenses for stigmatisms like that, they're more expensive than regular contacts, but not terribly so. However, if it's available and you're 18 or over and can afford it, I'd reccomend getting the laser eye surgery, if you're willing to take the small risk of your eye getting worse permanently. But, between glasses and contacts, I'd say get the contacts, but buy a pair of glasses for when you can't put them in or you're to lazy to do so (in the beginning they're a huge bother to put in). So, yeah, the end.
EvilSpork
Well.. Some people can pull the glasses look off and I'm sure you will be able to wink.gif

But anyway.. About wearing glasses.. I don't. *shrugs* Good luck with that happy.gif
markslut
I've worn glasses since I was 7 or 8, I'm very very blind (*I need a girlfriend*)
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Fluffy @ Feb 2 2004, 10:17 PM)
I have a stigmatism in my right eye, and contacts work for me. I didn't have to get them specially made, because my stigmatism is exactly 1.25 degrees, and they make generic lenses for stigmatisms like that, they're more expensive than regular contacts, but not terribly so. However, if it's available and you're 18 or over and can afford it, I'd reccomend getting the laser eye surgery, if you're willing to take the small risk of your eye getting worse permanently. But, between glasses and contacts, I'd say get the contacts, but buy a pair of glasses for when you can't put them in or you're to lazy to do so (in the beginning they're a huge bother to put in). So, yeah, the end.

Hey all. I just want to point out that I don't need to wear my glasses every day. It's just for prolonged reading, driving and VDU work. The optician seemed to think they would help but they weren't necessary. I could happily carry on without them for many years to come.

Thanks for suggesting contacts and laser eye surgery but for a prescription of 1 in both eyes I think that might be a little drastic don't you? rolleyes.gif

Contact lenses for stigmatisms are expensive and just not worth the hassle with my low prescription anyway and I'd rather not get some loon with a laser to burn my eyeball out laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
Pixelgoth
I got my glasses last night so I now officially a speccie (jk)! laugh.gif I'm sat here in my office typing away in my glasses ohmy.gif

It feels really weird and I guess I'll just have to get used to it smile.gif
franken-sarah
And are they working with the whole "sexy secretary" look?? wink.gif
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (franken-sarah @ Feb 6 2004, 11:22 AM)

Well I've got pigtails in at the moment and I'm wearing a Lost Prophets t-shirt with jeans so I don't think I look anything like a secretary. But I'm still sexy! wink.gif
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Feb 6 2004, 04:17 AM)
QUOTE (franken-sarah @ Feb 6 2004, 11:22 AM)

Well I've got pigtails in at the moment and I'm wearing a Lost Prophets t-shirt with jeans so I don't think I look anything like a secretary. But I'm still sexy! wink.gif

You work at a computer in an office where you get to wear t-shirt and jeans? dry.gif I want a job like that. No fair! huh.gif

Hmmm, pixie with pigtails and glasses.... *imagines*...
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (MoonlightSavingsTime @ Feb 6 2004, 12:35 PM)
You work at a computer in an office where you get to wear t-shirt and jeans? dry.gif I want a job like that. No fair! huh.gif

Yeah it's bloody cool! biggrin.gif I can wear what I like, get what tattoos I like, what piercings I like. In fact I don't think they'd bat an eyelid if I came in with green hair! ohmy.gif Mind you, working for a company called Greenleaf Publishing I guess it would be good advertising for them! laugh.gif

We are quite a small company and we don't get much through-traffic so I don't need to look office smart.

Saves me a bundle on clothes wink.gif

Hmmm, pixie with pigtails and glasses.... *imagines*...

ohmy.gif

wink.gif

laugh.gif
Mata
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who thinks that pigtails are, for some unknown reason, a very sexy look. Personally I put it down to the first girl I kissed having pigtails, but I'm not sure, maybe that was why she was the first one I kissed... Hmm. Chickens and eggs spring to mind.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 6 2004, 12:53 PM)
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who thinks that pigtails are, for some unknown reason, a very sexy look. Personally I put it down to the first girl I kissed having pigtails, but I'm not sure, maybe that was why she was the first one I kissed... Hmm. Chickens and eggs spring to mind.

naah mata, pigtails give off the innocent school girl vibe, you dirty old git you! wink.gif smile.gif

.....hang around outside many schools? blink.gif unsure.gif ph34r.gif

tongue.gif
Pixelgoth
You're both dirty old men and I shall now be utterly afraid to put my hair up at the weekend tongue.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
me?!

mata's the one that hangs around outside schools, not me!!

tongue.gif
Mata
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Feb 6 2004, 01:12 PM)
me?!

mata's the one that hangs around outside schools, not me!!

tongue.gif

He's lying and he knows it. He's been hanging around schools himself and so would've seen me had I been there. tongue.gif

It probably is something to do with the innocence vibe, but it's a _knowingly_ 'innocent look' that's sexy, finding _actual_ innocence sexy would just be rather odd to say the least.
Pixelgoth
Nope, you've not convinced me, i think you're both pervs and shall be afraid to wear my pigtails. However, if I don't it means taking hairdryer, straightener and half of Boots Hair Care section to ensure my straightened hair! dry.gif

Pigtails it is then wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.