Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matameet 3!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Industrial Kybosh
Well, I missed the second one - a fact that saddens me greatly - and I would very much like to see you bunch of fuggers again for some fine quaffage.

Here's the thread to throw in your when-and-where proposals!

Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds have all been mooted for a Summer get-together, and all three suit me. I like all three cities, and booze-imbibing opportunities are rife in each. I'll leave it to Pixie to big-up the wonderful Corporation, though... As for when, well my new holiday allowance come through in April, and I have no precise plans for the summertime, so whenever, really. Though my birthday is in May. It will serve you well to remember that. Bring presents...

As a secondary matter, I would also like to state that I was rather attracted to the idea of having a mighty stag-do-like affair with you lot, with an eye on September in Manchester. No exact dates yet, but just bear it in mind. Gender rules need not apply, by the way - I'll be having an all-male do as well, so I needn't segragate for this particular event.

By the way, if you think this is a little early to be thinking about it, remember that not all of us are particularly 'together' when it comes to planning. Better doing it months in advance than weeks, no?
Jonman
Game on fella. Those locations sound good to me (ish). Count me (and more than likely Mrs. Man as well) in. Likewise for a seperate or combined stag do piss-up. Hurrah for excuses to get plastered!
Pixelgoth
Personally I'd like the vote in this order

Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds

I would say Sheffield top but Manchester is just better equipped for putting people up in cheap hotels (Ibis Hotel is 45.95 per room per night at the mo). Plus Jilly's is just better than Corporation at the moment.

I put them above Leeds as they are easier to get to for me and Ed smile.gif

Any other suggestions?

Shall I start a poll?
Industrial Kybosh
I think we should leave polling until we get all the potential locations and dates in the hat. Who knows - someone might put in a great reason for us to go to Scunthorpe. I doubt it, but they might.

As it stands, I'm with Pixie so far as my preferences go. But, as I've said already, I likes 'em all. Woo! for unhelpful posts!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Feb 16 2004, 03:24 PM)
I think we should leave polling until we get all the potential locations and dates in the hat. Who knows - someone might put in a great reason for us to go to Scunthorpe. I doubt it, but they might.

This might seem a tad selfish but I think we shouldn't go any further south that Sheffield/Manchester line just because we've already done two down towards that area of the world and I can't keep remortaging to afford to see everyone sad.gif

I reckon we should do one in London at some point too but not until later in the year possibly 2005 so we can all save up for that biggrin.gif

Do we know anyone who lives further North than Leeds? Franken-Sarah is in Scotland smile.gif That's always an option too??? Perhaps though speaking from a fair-to-everyone point of view somewhere central to all would be best.
Industrial Kybosh
Perhaps a good idea would be to get a list of those interested, along with where in the country they are. That could help us make an informed decision.

For the record, I am Stoke-On-Trent based nowadays. Anyone who wants to meet me on a regular basis could just go to Music Zone in Hanley. Unless I've got a day off. Like today. Then there'd be no point, other than to marvel at the wonderful value-for-money offers that line our shelves.

I lessthanthree my job.
Mr Fuzzy
I'm frightened. Doesn't it stay dark for 6 months at a time that far north?
CommieBastard
As most of you know, I'm in London, but travel isn't really an issue for me, just means the train ticket costs a few more quid smile.gif

I'm also out of the country for about the latter two-thirds of July, so that would be...irritating.
Industrial Kybosh
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Feb 16 2004, 03:40 PM)

Naaah. Unless you get battered with a Newcastle Brown bottle by a bloke with a flat cap, a whippet, and some badly-spelled tattoos. And that only happens about once a week. To me, anyway...
Mr Fuzzy
Oh, that's perfectly normal here too. The south is a very big importer of northeners.
LoLo
I just want to ask that you don't have it the weekend of July 10-12th, so that those who are coming to the WC meet that might be able to make it to the meet in the UK don't have to choose between the two. biggrin.gif
Industrial Kybosh
July's out then... laugh.gif

See? We're making progress already...
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Feb 16 2004, 04:01 PM)

Hmmmm so what about June? Or is August a better proposition? June is potentially busy for me what with a possible trip to NY with work but it should only take 19/20th and 26/27th.
Tarantio
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Feb 16 2004, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Feb 16 2004, 03:24 PM)
I think we should leave polling until we get all the potential locations and dates in the hat.  Who knows - someone might put in a great reason for us to go to Scunthorpe.  I doubt it, but they might.

This might seem a tad selfish but I think we shouldn't go any further south that Sheffield/Manchester line just because we've already done two down towards that area of the world and I can't keep remortaging to afford to see everyone sad.gif

I reckon we should do one in London at some point too but not until later in the year possibly 2005 so we can all save up for that biggrin.gif

Do we know anyone who lives further North than Leeds? Franken-Sarah is in Scotland smile.gif That's always an option too??? Perhaps though speaking from a fair-to-everyone point of view somewhere central to all would be best.

The scottish angle has alreadyu been proposed by myself, and if there was any selfish reason i travelled from one end of the country to the other to get to the last meet, it would be to guilt you all into coming to one north of the border. However, its looking like it wont be for a while, since so many other locations are preferred. Maybe in winter some time near the end of the year, when its cold and wet and dark... biggrin.gif

As for organisation of a scotland meet, leave it to Tara. If it would happen anywhere, I wouldnt have it anywhere else than glasgow, coz its easy to travel to and from and theres plenty to do, see and sleep in.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Industrial Kybosh @ Feb 16 2004, 04:01 PM)

i said that in another thread...no one paid ANY attention to it....its like i'm a nonentity *sniff*

as you may or may not know, travel's not an issue for me, its just pay for the hotel....and beer that makes me poor at these meets
Queenie
I'd prefer Leeds but i can make it to manchester if it's decided there... i could make it anywhere really!! Managed to get to Winchester (- with Cath's help) but the North would be better especially if it was in June as i'm on school placement then. But August would be good?! I dunno i like the sound of a couple of meets tho laugh.gif

Mata... on May 15th the goth/ alternative/ 80's night in Leeds, is that at the Wendy House at Leeds Uni?! Cause they're good nights happy.gif
WeeJ
Just one word.....

BIRMINGHAM!!!!!!
CommieBastard
/me yawns

Been there, done that.
WeeJ
Oh come ooooonn!
Birmingham is nice and central and its easy to get to as most trains go directly there. Just like London in fact. Any other places are going to mean jumping on and off trains for people to get there. And a/ Thats expensive and b/ it sucks as you can't doze on the way!!!
franken-sarah

Aww! Don't be afraid... we would wrap you in love!! rolleyes.gif

Tara, Laura and I had already thought a Scottish meet would be good - I'm not too fussy though but, obviously, the further north it is the better for us!! biggrin.gif

As for when, maybe later on in the year if Sam's going to be away??

Ohhh, may sounds very soon - but the Wendy House night sounds good - we could dress up!!

*goes to get fetish pom-poms*
Cath Sparrow
All sound good to me I'm easy. tongue.gif Havecar will travel! Manchester is stupidly easy for me (1hr away). Leeds (1 1/2hrs away) and Sheffield (2 hrs away) are almost as easy. So really not a problem. May might be a slightly difficult but probably not if were in any of those places. Trying to sort a trip to Norway but nothing set. So basically You'll probably have to put up with me whether you like it or not. biggrin.gif
Cath Sparrow

We'll look after you and keep you all safe! evil.gif
franken-sarah
Right, Fuzzy has no excuse for not going - two offers of protection!! biggrin.gif

Would you like protection for the Dark Forces or just the dark - possibly protection from The Darkness would be advantageous also!! wink.gif

*wanders off singing "I Believe In A Thing Called Love"*
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (franken-sarah @ Feb 16 2004, 09:45 PM)
Right, Fuzzy has no excuse for not going - two offers of protection!! biggrin.gif

Would you like protection for the Dark Forces or just the dark - possibly protection from The Darkness would be advantageous also!! wink.gif

*wanders off singing "I Believe In A Thing Called Love"*

I surpose I do owe him anyway cause he did keep me supplied with glasses of alchol on the walks back from the pub! biggrin.gif
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
That's in England, isn't it?
Mata
I'm fine with having a meet up in Scotland, but only if it's during the more warm months of the year. There are two reasons for this, one's naff, the other is good

1) I don't like being bloomin' freezing and in the type of accomodation that I can afford they don't put the heating on much! smile.gif

2) the weather is less likely to disrupt transport arrangements during the summer.

Yes, it was Wendy House I was talking about in Leeds.

I'm thinking that maybe we have an early summer one and a late summer one (AKA InKy's stag bash). Since the stag do will be in Manchester and September that makes May about the right time for the next one.

Personally I'd like to go to Leeds because I know I could get loads of fun gothy people (some of whom lurk on here and were very early members) to come along, Glasgow is a second for me because I'm not doing that in the winter and otherwise it'll be next year before we do one of these in Scotland.

We'll hit Manchester in September, so that's that bit covered.

The choice then is really between Leeds and Glasgow as far as I can see. Tarantio, if you're up for organising it then Glasgow is fine by me, just make sure that everyone prints off decent maps! tongue.gif You'll also have to do some scrabbling around to make sure that there are B&Bs for us all that are easy to find.
CommieBastard
May's good, so long as I can be back for the 30th.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 16 2004, 11:06 PM)
just make sure that everyone prints off decent maps!

its an easy mistake to make dry.gif
Pixelgoth
I am so skint this year that unless it's in Leeds or Sheffield (or Manchester but we've already decided that'll be later in the year) I won't be able to go. It's no biggy I just won't be able to get there. Especially Glasgow. Way too much money to get there and stay there sad.gif Been there, done that.

We've done Birmingham already WeeJ and I think it's only fair we find another venue nearer people up North this time round smile.gif

Seriously though, someone decide where the best place to have it is and if it's anywhere too far away I'll give it a miss until September.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 16 2004, 11:06 PM)
The choice then is really between Leeds and Glasgow as far as I can see. Tarantio, if you're up for organising it then Glasgow is fine by me, just make sure that everyone prints off decent maps! tongue.gif You'll also have to do some scrabbling around to make sure that there are B&Bs for us all that are easy to find.

Hey I had maps it wasn't my fault they were completely useless cause of your totally stunning one way system! dry.gif mad.gif
mutter mutter mutter!

Not sure I can do Glasgow in May as am going to Whitby at the end of April for the Goth festival. I only found out I was going the other night! Ooops! biggrin.gif
Can maybe do Leeds cause it would be a bit cheaper travel wise.
Spacehappy
One word "Cardiff" enough said. wink.gif
Mata
Sorry mate, but I think Cardiff would be tricky for too many people... And when trains get to Wales they suddenly become massively unreliable. I was on a train journey there once, I had a list of all the stations on the journey but at one station we sat there for about half an hour, delaying us a lot. Then we started going backwards. We kept going backwards for about 45 minutes. We then stopped at a station not on my list and in the middle of nowhere, the ticket inspector got off and then the train started going forward again and returned to the original station and continued its journey!

Well, currently it's looking like being Leeds on May 15th and Manchester in September. Does anyone have any major problems with this?
Pixelgoth
One word! Sheffield wink.gif tongue.gif

Seriously though Leeds sounds good to me. Ed and I were only saying the other day that it'd be cool to go and see Queenie at Uni and experience 'steeeewwwwdant' life and "ROCK" biggrin.gif

I'll put it in m' diary peoples! smile.gif
Queenie
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Feb 17 2004, 03:48 PM)
Seriously though Leeds sounds good to me.  Ed and I were only saying the other day that it'd be cool to go and see Queenie at Uni and experience 'steeeewwwwdant' life and "ROCK" biggrin.gif

Oh YAY Leeds!!! It's sooo much fun an the Wendy House... happy.gif

*whispers... Sam come visit me!!!!* laugh.gif

An if need be i could probably fit a couple of people on my bedroom floor!? blink.gif
...an maybe bribe a few friends if that helps anyone!!? Not promising anything tho...
Cath Sparrow
Good for me! Not allowed any time off work in May so Leeds wont be a problem. biggrin.gif
WeeJ
Bagsy Lea's bed tongue.gif
Queenie
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Feb 17 2004, 08:05 PM)

ohmy.gif NO WAY!!! My bed dry.gif

mad.gif GET OUT!!! tongue.gif ...There sleep on the floor!!! laugh.gif tongue.gif
The Tortured Soul
ok i'm quite worried now... i've only read bits of the thread... but i really wanted to make this 1 but there seesm to be talk of scotland... this scares me as i live in stafford and have very little money... evenb if i do make it to 1 then i'm not gonna be able to stop the night coz i just won't have the money so i'd probably hafta get the train up to wherever and back to stafford...

i will probably have some money as i'm saving up for a holiday down in cornwall with my friends, i don't know exactly when this is going to be... but i could probably take train fare outta that but there is no way i could afford to go too far and staying in a hotel or anywhere is completely out of the question for me...

also i dunno if ya have set a date but i'm not fully sure when i'v got time off college... i don't go on wednesdays and fridays and weekends and on thrusdays i finnish at 12:40...
Mata
Well, Leeds is pretty much bang in the middle of the country, geographically speaking, so hopefully should be a good compromise for the northerners on the board.

Lea, if Sues isn't coming with me I might want to pinch a bit of that floor space! I might be staying at a friend's house up there, I'm not sure.

This is beginning to sound like a fairly solid plan.

Does anyone have any objections to Leeds on May 15th? If not then I think that we've got our date and place. Hurrah!
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Queenie @ Feb 17 2004, 08:12 PM)
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Feb 17 2004, 08:05 PM)

ohmy.gif NO WAY!!! My bed dry.gif

mad.gif GET OUT!!! tongue.gif ...There sleep on the floor!!! laugh.gif tongue.gif

Hey I already grabed the floor! mad.gif biggrin.gif
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 18 2004, 12:22 AM)
Well, Leeds is pretty much bang in the middle of the country, geographically speaking, so hopefully should be a good compromise for the northerners on the board.

Lea, if Sues isn't coming with me I might want to pinch a bit of that floor space! I might be staying at a friend's house up there, I'm not sure.

This is beginning to sound like a fairly solid plan.

Does anyone have any objections to Leeds on May 15th? If not then I think that we've got our date and place. Hurrah!

You have to bring Sues!!! ohmy.gif
Mata
She'll most likely be there, it's not a case of whether I bring her or not, more whether she fancies the journey oop north.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Mata @ Feb 18 2004, 11:48 AM)
She'll most likely be there, it's not a case of whether I bring her or not, more whether she fancies the journey oop north.

Tell were very nice and dont eat southerns! biggrin.gif
And Leeds is a cool city with some cool shops!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Cath @ Feb 18 2004, 12:08 PM)

I do! For breakfast! wink.gif

15th May in Leeds is cool with me and Ed. Nice and convenient travelwise too.

Tort I wouldn't stress about Scotland. If you read through you can see we pretty much ruled that one out due to people travelling from from right down South. Perhaps we could go to Scotland one day but it prob won't be for a while yet? unsure.gif Staffordshire to Leeds is easy peesy biggrin.gif

And if anyone is getting Lea bed it's me as she owes me one for all the groping she did to WeeJ! laugh.gif tongue.gif
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Feb 18 2004, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (Cath @ Feb 18 2004, 12:08 PM)

I do! For breakfast! wink.gif

Hey! Dont scare Sues off were trying to convince her to come! ohmy.gif Cause she's fab and kept looking like she wanted to disown us. biggrin.gif
(I konw it's a bit of a lied about the southner eating but they don't have to know that! evil.gif )
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Cath @ Feb 18 2004, 01:00 PM)
Hey! Dont scare Sues off were trying to convince her to come! ohmy.gif Cause she's fab and kept looking like she wanted to disown us. biggrin.gif
(I konw it's a bit of a lied about the southner eating but they don't have to know that! evil.gif )

Well I am a Southerner who lives up North so I reckon I should be able to eat my own kind....hang on.....isn't that cannabalism.......major ick! dry.gif

Not trying to scare Sues off. I've never met her. That might be a good thing for her though biggrin.gif
CommieBastard
Hopefully Mrs Commie'll be able to come this time. When she gets back from holidaying, I'll point her in this direction.
Queenie
QUOTE (Pixiegoth @ Feb 18 2004, 12:41 PM)
And if anyone is getting Lea bed it's me as she owes me one for all the groping she did to WeeJ! laugh.gif tongue.gif

eeepp NOOO it's my bed sad.gif

An i didn't grope WeeJ, i mearly put my arm around her an accidently touched her boob tongue.gif Then SPS took a photo dry.gif
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Queenie @ Feb 18 2004, 06:25 PM)
An i didn't grope WeeJ, i mearly put my arm around her an accidently touched her boob tongue.gif Then SPS took a photo dry.gif

Youg hand was there an awful along time for an accident! evil.gif
WeeJ
Scotland is very, very, very far away considering not many of us live there unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.