Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Did A Painting Last Night
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
Mata
It's been ages since I picked up a brush (about six years, I usually paint with my fingers), so I'm rather pleased with how this came out, especially since the last full size painting I did took 18 months and this one took about four hours.

Click here for a bigger version.
LoLo
That is really cool. Is it me or does it bear a slight resemblence to Jonman without glasses? It could just be me. Anyways I really like it.
Mata
Thanks, I think it looks a bit more like John Malkovitch now I think about it...
LoLo
QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 1 2004, 07:07 AM)
Thanks, I think it looks a bit more like John Malkovitch now I think about it...

Awww yes it does. The style sort of looks like Munch meets Van Gogh. I like the distribution of colors. Any symbalance we should know about? lol
Oni Usagi
QUOTE (LoLo @ Mar 1 2004, 11:00 AM)
That is really cool. Is it me or does it bear a slight resemblence to Jonman without glasses? It could just be me. Anyways I really like it.

I thought the same thing when I saw it.
Jaq
That's cool. Broody miniature man in a box. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

I really like the dappling effect that you got. Very impressionistic...
cait
*drools*

Iss so pretty! I like how it gives off this kinda glassy/watery effect at the top. Is it oil? And how big is it? And and and ... can I have your talent? I'll ... bake you a cake ...

It is more expressionist than impressionist *siiiigh* damn art class, it has almost ruined art for me. Impressionism *grumbles*... right well ... unsure.gif
Sir Maxerpopple
The room is very earthy, almost primitive, which gives the piece a wonderful dichotomy. The oddness of the walls in a modern room, with a guy wearing modern clothing, it has a pleasant duality to it. Maxerpopple like.

Congratulations Mata.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Such talent.... (sigh).

Very nice painting - he definately looks like he knows something that I don't...
Mata
The painting is around 2 foot by 2 foot. 'Glad you like it, I'm not quite sure what to do with it next.

I'm really quite surprised. Despite the fact that I've been drawing since I was a child painting has never come very naturally to me. I kept on fiddling with this until it looked right and then I made sure that I stopped. I guess it's a confidence thing at the end of the day... It's tricky being able to say 'yes, that's it, that's how I want it to look.'

I think the last few years have helped, I've spent quite a lot of time just looking at how illustrators have been using paint. It's more complicated than it looks, it's often not about the colours they choose, it's more about the way that they have applied it, putting quite bold blues in the shadows and goign for barely-tinited whites where you know that the colour is actually a lot more toned... As Sues has observed, I tend to go over the same material again and again, and essentially that's true, I seem for some reason to be obsessed with the image of a person, occasionally two in a room. My perspective is always curved. I guess that's just the way I see the world, even straight lines are distorted by the nature of perspective and if we have company often there is little real communication.

I think I'm just a cynic!

Edit: It's doen with acrylics. I've never tried oils, but they've always struck me as technologically inferior to acrylics. Why use a paint that takes months to dry if you can use one that takes an hour or two? I know the son of a relatively famous painter. The painter died ten years ago, his oil paintings aren't properly dry yet.
LoLo
QUOTE (Mata @ Mar 1 2004, 04:05 PM)
Edit: It's doen with acrylics. I've never tried oils, but they've always struck me as technologically inferior to acrylics. Why use a paint that takes months to dry if you can use one that takes an hour or two? I know the son of a relatively famous painter. The painter died ten years ago, his oil paintings aren't properly dry yet.

I totally agree. Oils take forever to dry and are so much harder to work with. It's a great way to get surprise colors though because they mix together so easily since they never seem to dry!
Mata
I tend to paint in layers, building up the textures as I go (which is why the previous picture took 18 months to do, because I kept on putting more layers on it), so I generally need things to be dry otherwise it tends to get messy! I was sitting there, at about 1:30am, blowing on the face to get it to hurry up smile.gif
darkspree
That is such a lovely painting, I admire your talent.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
QUOTE (LoLo @ Mar 1 2004, 03:00 PM)
Is it me or does it bear a slight resemblence to Jonman without glasses? It could just be me.

nope!
great minds think alike..

*marvels at picture*
Rattgirl
Hooray for acrylics!! They're what I've been using in my recent forays into painting as well. (You forgot to mention one of the other good points about them though: they're less expensive! Water is much cheaper than turpentine blink.gif)

I really, really LIKE that painting. It looks like a painting, which is something I haven't quite accomplished with mine yet =/. Mine still kinda look like they've been colored in with markers. It's a weird effect. And I love how even a digital image of it absolutely screams texture smile.gif. The colors are really warm and somehow comforting to me; even though the overall feel of the picture is a little cold and lonely, i'm not frightened of it because of the colors' warm inclusiveness....

did that make any sense? Probably not...my descriptions of the effects art has on me are always a little cockeyed. wink.gif

But I muchly love!!! Am muchly jealous. smile.gif
sammi
I quite like it, very much so, and am naturally envious of your talent. happy.gif; I love the texture that I see from just a photo (or scan? I can't really tell...) alone. Awesome, as always. Out of curiosity, is the top of the cube actually open or is it closed in like everyone is saying? Because it looks rather blue and sky-like to me, but then again, I could just be hallucinating or something... blink.gif I really should buy me some canvas and better acrylics..
Dreams On Hiatus
Hey that's really cool. It kind of has a dreamlike quality to it. It makes me feel as if I'm in a dream, but in a nightmare at the same time, and I don't know that it's not a nightmare or a dream.

Very cool happy.gif
Cath Sparrow
The man reminds me of Richard Obrain in Dark City! It also reminds me of The Scream in away to! I find it an intreaging picture.
Dreams On Hiatus
QUOTE (Cath @ Mar 4 2004, 04:08 PM)
It also reminds me of The Scream in away to!

Yeah that's one of the images that popped in my head when I looked at the painting.
Mata
There is a bit of 'The Scream' in its appearence, but that was purely unintentional, and it's not as pronounced in the real thing.

I'm not sure if that's the sky up the top or just a ceiling that lures you into a false sense of security.
cait
Yeah, oil does seem quite crazy, but it's interesting to me. I would like to try it on large scale someday at least...

Something definitely happened with the texture that is simply awsome. I would love to see it in person. (things always look different in person)

I think it looks very rock-like. Looking at it now, I see acrylic-qualities (trust me, I'm no expert), but I got the sense of oil because I thought it looked very blended. In acrylic you get solid lines and things but it doesn't give off that affect, I think...

Anyway. tres bon! (isn't my french attempt pretty?)

PS. I don't think straight lines exist....at least not in my mind...
Mata
Some of the texture might be because I always cover my board with newspaper clippings before I paint, I find it breaks that 'oh no, it's a blank canvas, what should I do?' moment, so even though you've not done anything it's a lot less intimidating to start on after that, plus it gives an interesting texture to paint on!
Pab
obviously a full-on job there mata ... I see it and think "mata wants a bigger place to live" but so do I so I guess I'm biased ... tongue.gif
Mata
*laughs* I'd never thought of it like that, but considering the time that this theme started being the main thing that I paint, yes, that could very well be exactly what it's about! smile.gif
Gothymothy girl
It's BEAUTIFUL! Mata you seriously have some talent..... you should sell it and make millions. I insist. You really are cool you know.......and so is that painting..............and this website.........

It's a good painting it deserves to be on the wall of a King....and no, that's not exageration. (yeah, I know I spelled it wrong) rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.