Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hill
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Creations
CommieBastard
Itís smaller than I remember it.
It always seemed a mountain, a mighty hill seemingly purpose-built for glorious afternoon play. It barely seems a molehill now. And though I return every year, to my memory it will always be that huge slope I would roll down as a child.
Nostalgia hits hard. Suddenly Iím eight years old again. I can almost smell the vinegar. I expect to see balled-up brown paper being blown along by the wind, or our old goat munching on the grass.
The weather is wrong. It was always summer back then. Seen through the rosy glasses of memory, every day was summer. Here and now, though, itís cloudy. Everything seems washed out, accompanied by a light drizzle that dampens the spirit as much as the body.
Every year I come back. The hill is a far better memorial than dates carved in stone. A headstone evokes nothing, but the hill brings back every day of our childhood in a rush. The new owners of the farm donít mind. They permit an old lady her yearly remembrance.
I drop the lily I brought with me at the foot of the hill. Itís a small thing, a gesture, but it helps. I take one last look at the old hill, then turn and walk away without a backward glance, anxious to get out of the rain.

Something I wrote a while ago, posted because I was bored. A warm feeling of self-congratulation goes to the person who figures out what it's about.
Cath Sparrow
An interesting take on the Jack and Jill nursery rhyme there Sean. I like it, it reminds me a bitof Neil Gainman in style.
So do I get the warm feeling of self-congratulation? wink.gif
CommieBastard
You sure do! smile.gif It was actually an English assignment I scrawled in class, write our own version of the rhyme...I liked what I did.

Edit: At the time of writing, I don't think I'd read anything by Gaiman, except Good Omens, his collaboration with Pratchett - I might have read Neverwhere, but I don't think so. Still, he's a great writer, so I take it as a compliment.
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Mar 9 2004, 06:37 PM)
You sure do! smile.gif It was actually an English assignment I scrawled in class, write our own version of the rhyme...I liked what I did.

Edit: At the time of writing, I don't think I'd read anything by Gaiman, except Good Omens, his collaboration with Pratchett - I might have read Neverwhere, but I don't think so. Still, he's a great writer, so I take it as a compliment.

It was intended to be. biggrin.gif It was the differn't view of something well known it reminded me of some of the Sandman stories and I agree he his definatly a good writter.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Cath @ Mar 9 2004, 06:44 PM)
It was the differn't view of something well known it reminded me of some of the Sandman stories and I agree he his definatly a good writter.

What I was aiming for was more a sense of melancholy, regret and nostalgia than anything so concrete as a reinterpretation of a folk rhyme. I tend to go for effect more than a story or anything like that...
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Mar 9 2004, 06:49 PM)
What I was aiming for was more a sense of melancholy, regret and nostalgia than anything so concrete as a reinterpretation of a folk rhyme. I tend to go for effect more than a story or anything like that...

Well it worked for me! No I enjoyed it came across to me as you wanted it to. I tend to like that sort of feeling to stories I think it adds more to them. More depth and such like.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Cath @ Mar 9 2004, 07:14 PM)
I tend to like that sort of feeling to stories I think it adds more to them. More depth and such like.

That's good, I find it's one of the easier emotions to instil smile.gif
Dreams On Hiatus
Short and sweet. I like it!! Very good job. Puts nice images in my mind. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.