Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canada Mata Meet?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
oobunnie
Just pondering.
Anyone in Canada want to do one? And or think they could be able to go to one.
Dunno where we would have it. Near as I can figure, most of us are from Alberta, Sask. and Manitoba.
CommieBastard
Well, I'll be in Montreal during the latter two-thirds of July...
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Mar 24 2004, 07:09 PM)
Well, I'll be in Montreal during the latter two-thirds of July...

Try and arrange it for then cause you want to meet Commiekins he's adorable! biggrin.gif

*Hugs Sean*
oobunnie
Montreal wouldnt be to bad. Been along time since I was there.
I've heard they have a couple of nice hostels there.
CommieBastard
To be painstakingly accurate, I'll arrive in Toronto about the 12th or 13th or something, stay there for a few days, then head off to Montreal for a week or three.

Edit: And Cathiekins is adorable too smile.gif She hogs chairs though tongue.gif
Polocrunch
Have sex with Tigersong for me, OK Commie?
EvilSpork
I could make a Canadian one, I think!

Depends where it is though... laugh.gif
Aria
I might be able to make it, depending on when and where it is. Heh, Alberta would be better for me, I might be able to make it to Saskatchewan, or Manitoba, but further than that is probably out. :\
spiffilicious05
I live from central ny, and I'm not too far from the peace bridge, so pending on where in Canada........

*sings* Oh Canada laugh.gif
oobunnie
Darn this vast land of ours.

So seems were looking for somewhere between Qeubec and Alberta.
Toronto might not be to bad.

I dunno. For those saying depending, what area could you get to.

I wouldnt mind Alberta, seeing as how I live here and all. (But no Calgary laugh.gif )
LoLo
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Mar 24 2004, 11:25 AM)
To be painstakingly accurate, I'll arrive in Toronto about the 12th or 13th or something, stay there for a few days, then head off to Montreal for a week or three.

Edit: And Cathiekins is adorable too smile.gif She hogs chairs though tongue.gif

**whispers** that's when the wc meet is or right after it ends. /**whisper**
Artemisia
A Canada meet would be cool. Is anyone here from Manitoba besides me? Probably not, so let's have it in Saskatchewan!!!

But then, anytime Jaq, Jicama, Tigersong, CoconutMonkey and I get together, can we call that a Matameet? Then the Canadians will be seen to have the greatest devotion to Mata, because we have more meets! biggrin.gif

And Tigersong is mine, people! Mine and Aries'! (Polo I'm lookin' at you).
TigerLily013
Damn, is NOONE here from freaking Ontario?! Oh common!

Montreal might not be too bad, least I could go by train if I wanted to. Damn if it was located from Manitoba or Saskatchewan, there would be slim to none chance I could be there...

Not like I am popular, anyone wants to see me or anything like that.
Dreams On Hiatus
Ooo. Like spiffeh I live in Central NY so I'd be able to make a Canada matameet. smile.gif
oobunnie
Sask. Wouldnt be to bad for me either. Its only like a 3hr drive.

But then I'm guessing the non-canadians wouldnt be able to come, or Tigerlily.

What about Winnipeg? They have a really good Ice Cream place there. Dunno about the pubs or nothin though.

Just as a thought. If people wanted to do Alberta, Edmonton for that matter. During the summer. We could do something like Klondike Days which is on from July 22nd to 31. Klondike days are generaly fun.
Or the Fringe festival which on mid August. Come to think of the folk festival is on at the same time.
vicrawr
I'd try my bestest to make it! Someone's gotta teach y'all that not everyone from the US is a yankee!
spiffilicious05
Montreal would be cool.

Then I could speak in french.

Parlez-vous francais?

*edit* ---- St. Kit's is awesome too. I love it there.

crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew

oh and did I mention there's crew?

there's a jackaster's too...that place is awesome

crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew crew *whew*
Jaq
I like the idea of Saskatchewan

It's cheap and um... really cheap also... flat. And it's cheap.. Oh, we got a river!
oobunnie
QUOTE (Jaq @ Mar 25 2004, 08:05 PM)
I like the idea of Saskatchewan

It's cheap and um... really cheap also... flat. And it's cheap.. Oh, we got a river!

Oh playing the "we've got are river card" eh! lol... wait we have a river to. *ponder* It might be the same river as you. I cant remember.

I dunno. Sask wouldnt be to bad for me. I'm just thinking if were doing out here in the central west that Edmonton might have more stuff to do. But if you can think of stuff for us to do in Sask. I would be all for it.
Jaq
QUOTE (oobunnie @ Mar 25 2004, 02:34 PM)
I dunno. Sask wouldnt be to bad for me. I'm just thinking if were doing out here in the central west that Edmonton might have more stuff to do.

Actually Edmonton would be good for me. The fringe fest and the folk fest are both really fun events. I'm actually wearing an Edmonton Folk Fest T right now. Though the folk fest is pretty damn expensive... It's basically a huge outdoor music festival with alot of world music and independent little known bands, they do it in the river valley and everyone sits on the sides of a huge hill. At night people buy candles light them up and the whole hill glows. A good time is had by all.
Oh! And you can roll down the hill!

Yeah...
oobunnie
The folk fest is indeed fun. I must say the Fringe festival however is my favourite event of the year. Edmontons is supposed to be the largest Fringe festival in North America... plus there's very tasty food, and the Group 'Sound and Fury' always preform.

Oh and Edmonton's hostel is just off Whyte Ave. Keen for doing a pub crawl. And rates are around $22 a night
hostel
LoLo
I'm going to move this topic over to daily life so it doesn't get lost in daft.
CommieBastard
My girlfriend went to Edmonton once. The biggest shopping mall in the world is there, right? She stayed there for days and never once left the mall smile.gif
Jaq
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Mar 25 2004, 04:35 PM)
My girlfriend went to Edmonton once. The biggest shopping mall in the world is there, right? She stayed there for days and never once left the mall smile.gif

Gnah...

That's kind of... weird. Though they do have a really cool waterpark in the mall. It's nifty! Everything in the West Edmonton Mall is usually a bit more expensive
jicama
i think most of us are in central canada, so edmonton would probably be a good choice. i'd recommend saskatoon, but i'm not sure we have enough stuff to do here... shop on broadway, do the fringe, have a picnic on the river bank, check out the mendel, the petting zoo, go camping at one of the lakes (candle lake has the best beach out of all of them), go to the water slides in pa, horse back riding out at little red... wait, we have tons of stuff to do here! 'course most of it is outside stuff and it would be just our luck to have a bunch of cold rain... but ya, one of the prairie provinces would be best for me...
Aria
Well, if it were in Edmonton, then I would very probably be able to make it.
Ocean!
That would be great. Not that I'd end up going of course. (unless, of course, you have it up here in Fort Mac and don't mind meeting me, me being the youngest kid in TOS! wink.gif) Heh I'll be in NewfieLand for a month, then Manitoba for a week, then BC for a weekend, then Calgary possibly, to visit my sister. But yeah, that's all the travelling I'll be doing this summer. I really would love to meet you all, but I'm too young.

Anyways, if you have one in Alberta, have it in Edmonton or Calgary, lots to do. I find Calgary easier to get around. Or, have it in one of the two and plan a day trip to the other, it's only 3 hours.
shib
I'm in ontario! So yaay! This actually might work... I've always wanted to go to a matameet. Too bad it can't be in Toronto though.. *curses Canada for being rediculously big* If I drove for a week or so I could probably make it to sask, But Edmonton would be pretty fun too. No offense, but Saskatchewan has to be the most boring place on in Canada, thats my only qualm. What about Manitoba? I have no idea what it's like, but it's sort of a central place for all of us Canucks. *still votes for toronto, though, it's closer to meee ^^;*

*and we should definately have it in the summer, because Brette + Sean = TEH SEXY*
jicama
sk isn't boring! well, maybe regina... but it doesn't count! sk just doesn't have a lot of organized fun... but if you're creative, there's lots to do, and lots of space to do it in.
Jaq
QUOTE (jicama @ Mar 26 2004, 01:03 AM)
sk isn't boring! well, maybe regina... but it doesn't count! sk just doesn't have a lot of organized fun... but if you're creative, there's lots to do, and lots of space to do it in.

Yup. Besides what do you want with a bunch of mountains anyways? They just get in the way of the scenery.
jicama
laugh.gif exactly! plus it's got the best place name ever! saskatchewan!
Tigersong
Saskatchewan may not be Toronto, but I'd rather live here than, say, Manitoba. Or Alberta.

Actually, it's one of my favourite places in the world. It's beautiful (especially if you go north, where we have more lakes and rivers than most of the other provinces combined! -- well, perhaps except Quebec! tongue.gif) , not too crowded, and it's fairly cheap to have a great way of life.

But then, I've lived here all my life, so I *am* biased.
oobunnie
Albertas not that bad, we've got lot of trees and dirt and umm rocks. Oh and to get more pointless our cities (Edmonton) as big as Chicago. Yeah I dont really believe it, but I remember getting told so.

Well if more people want to have it in Sask. I'd be willing to head out that way. What city in Sask. would we go to?
Jaq
<spam>

We've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees and trees and rocks and WAAAAAAATERRRRRR

In Canada, Canada Canada Canada
Canada
Canada
Can Na Da
Canada!

</spam>
Polocrunch
Well, seeing as we're just randomly talking about Canada, I think I'll just say:

OMFG WITH THE CANADIA!!!11!!oneoneoneone

Canada is absolutely amazing. I went there on holiday a few years back and it blew my mind. For a start, they sold blueberries by the bucketload. Oh Em Eff Gee!!! I died a blue, blue death that holiday.
Also, Vancouver, Victoria and Toronto are absolutely great cities. Banff isn't so great, and Jasper is sucky. There was some major town in between Vancouver and Banff that was really hot and had a peach-fest and was a bit sucky.
Mostly, though, Canada's towns and cities were quite pretty, not too Americanised (i.e. they hadn't had the soul ripped out of them because of grey, relentless urbanisation). Toronto was fun, a bit dirty and full of character, Vancouver was really pretty and quite interesting, and Victoria was... really English, but in a warped Disneyesque way. *Shudder*
Anyway, the people were pretty nice, the Great Ootdoors was very pretty and untamed, and everything was generally very pleasant. So yay to Canada.

And no, that had no real relevance to this conversation, I just wanted to say how much I love Canadia.

Someone buy me a plane ticket...?
jicama
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Mar 26 2004, 08:44 PM)
Well, seeing as we're just randomly talking about Canada, I think I'll just say:

OMFG WITH THE CANADIA!!!11!!oneoneoneone

Canada is absolutely amazing. I went there on holiday a few years back and it blew my mind. For a start, they sold blueberries by the bucketload. Oh Em Eff Gee!!! I died a blue, blue death that holiday.
Also, Vancouver, Victoria and Toronto are absolutely great cities. Banff isn't so great, and Jasper is sucky. There was some major town in between Vancouver and Banff that was really hot and had a peach-fest and was a bit sucky.
Mostly, though, Canada's towns and cities were quite pretty, not too Americanised (i.e. they hadn't had the soul ripped out of them because of grey, relentless urbanisation). Toronto was fun, a bit dirty and full of character, Vancouver was really pretty and quite interesting, and Victoria was... really English, but in a warped Disneyesque way. *Shudder*
Anyway, the people were pretty nice, the Great Ootdoors was very pretty and untamed, and everything was generally very pleasant. So yay to Canada.

And no, that had no real relevance to this conversation, I just wanted to say how much I love Canadia.

Someone buy me a plane ticket...?

glad you love our homeland! though if we brought you here, artemisia would have to kill you to keep you off of her bo! laugh.gif

Well if more people want to have it in Sask. I'd be willing to head out that way. What city in Sask. would we go to?

well four of us live in s'toon, (five when artemisia gets here for the summer), so i say s'toon. it's convenient (for me!) and it's the city with the most stuff to do. and like i said earlier, we could take day trips for picnics and such. i'd love to go out to candle again this summer. remember the day when it was really windy jaq? it was the exact oppisite of sucking!!!
oobunnie

The great outdoors of the urbanized places you seemed to like laugh.gif

Incase you decide to do banff again, blueberries grow by the buckload in banff national park. Dunno if your allowed to pick them or not, but it never stopped us.

I love Banff and Jasper. Great snowborading grounds they are. Very nice during the summer to. 'Suppose I back to the liking trees thing again. But Banff does have some of the nicest hiking trails, and not to far from banff there's a pretty cool splunking place.

To go back on topic. So what Sask. City/town would you all like?
(edit) seem this twas just answered.
Picnic would be fun. And then if any Americans did come, we could show them the wonder HP sauce. Any good Pubs in Saskatoon.
I've never really gone there. Drove threw it once. Looked like a pretty place.
jicama
we have more bars, pubs, clubs, lounges, and taverns than you could possibly visit during the time you're here!

are they good places?

yard and flagon-nice sized english style pub with a chicken curry soup that is to die for.

amigos- a bar that gets in some good bands, both known and local talent. pool tables, excellent mexican food, and allows for family dining in case there are going to be any young'ns in attendance.

the fox and hound- haven't been to this one personally, but jaq and tigersong say it's a comfortable place to have a quite drink with friends.

wash n' slosh- another one i haven't been to, but the novelty of a laundry mat/bar is oddly appealing no? unfortunately it has a rep as a biker bar, so i'm not sure it's the place for happy fun times.

the golden barrel- it's a good sports bar. if you like sports bars.

the publican- large with good food and eccentric atmosphere

louis'- the campus bar. i was there last night- it's a decent size with a foosball table and it looks like the food was ample.

if night clubs are your thing- the pat, the underground and the odeon are the most popular. the underground is the local goth club.

and that just the tip of the iceberg!
basically, saskatoon has an extremely large number of bars and restaurants competing for business, so they all try to have something unique that will give them return costumers. for some it's special events like hawaiian night, for others it's a varied menu, others- a theme. whatever kind of bar you like, s'toon has one.
Jaq
Yup, Saskatoon has two main focuses. The University and religion. So there are lots of bars and lots of churchs. Get drunk on a Saturday night and go have some communal wine on a Sunday morning. *shrugs* Search me, I don't know how it happened.
Ocean!
Ooh, I'm possibly going to Regina too, baha. I find Saskatchewan pretty boring, BC is nice, but it'd probably be better to have it in more central Canada. I still say Edmonton or Calgary, but I really have no say in the matter as I'm not going.
oobunnie
QUOTE (jicama @ Mar 26 2004, 10:32 PM)
wash n' slosh- another one i haven't been to, but the novelty of a laundry mat/bar is oddly appealing no?  unfortunately it has a rep as a biker bar, so i'm not sure it's the place for happy fun times.

Bahahahahaha... hahahaha. I'm very tempted to see this. I love bars with funny names. Like Paddy McSwiggins in Ft. Mac. I just love the name.

Edmonton or Saskatoon, it wouldnt make much of a difference to me. I vote no to Calgary though, oh how I loath that town.

If we have one in Saskatoon, I would still invite you all out to Edmonton for Canada day. Dunno about Sask. but its a huge party here. Lots of running in the streets and drinking and yelling. Hard to explain really.
On that note, hooray Oilers! We are so going to make the playoffs biggrin.gif
Ocean!
Paddy's is awesome! One of our more 'respectable' bars. biggrin.gif Baha.. Not that I go to bars, biggrin.gif. I just drink outside them. *kicks drinking age* wink.gif Haha, long story.
oobunnie
QUOTE (Ocean! @ Mar 26 2004, 11:37 PM)
Paddy's is awesome! One of our more 'respectable' bars. biggrin.gif Baha.. Not that I go to bars, biggrin.gif. I just drink outside them. *kicks drinking age* wink.gif Haha, long story.

s'far as I remember, Paddys was the only respectable bar.
beer+riggers= scary!

[/spam]
Tigersong
Banff isn't so great, and Jasper is sucky

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the townsites. You have to go backcountry hiking to get the real experience. If you get off of the main trails -- the ones occupied by oh so many tourists -- you'll find some of the most beautiful country on earth.

</Canada-spam>
jicama
QUOTE (Ocean! @ Mar 26 2004, 11:02 PM)
Ooh, I'm possibly going to Regina too, baha. I find Saskatchewan pretty boring, BC is nice, but it'd probably be better to have it in more central Canada. I still say Edmonton or Calgary, but I really have no say in the matter as I'm not going.

well i'd think sk was boring too if all i knew of it was regina! regina is the suckiest suck that ever sucked! everything closes when the sun goes down! it's like they're scared of vampires or something.... that's it! regina is on a hell mouth!
Sir Psycho Sexy
BLAME CANADA!!

....sorry....stoopid south park movie

[/spam]
Tigersong
That DOES explain Regina. It's on a Hellmouth!

No, really!

I mean, the place used to be called the Cree word for "Pile of Bones." It was the dumping ground for buffalo bones. The ghosts of all the massacred buffaloes must have somehow caused a paranormal shift in the space-time continuum, ripping a whole in this dimension into that of one of the lower hell dimensions...
jicama
that would also explain why s'toon has so many churches! the people here saw what was happening in regina and got extra pious! it all makes sense...
Tigersong
That, or Saskatoon was founded by Temperance Colonists. You know. Avoidance of buffalo-demon-ghosts, avoidance of alchohol. It's really all the same in the end.
Jaq
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Mar 26 2004, 09:34 PM)
That DOES explain Regina. It's on a Hellmouth!

No, really!

I mean, the place used to be called the Cree word for "Pile of Bones." It was the dumping ground for buffalo bones. The ghosts of all the massacred buffaloes must have somehow caused a paranormal shift in the space-time continuum, ripping a whole in this dimension into that of one of the lower hell dimensions...

Someone's been watching too much Buffy and Angel.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.