Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mata Meet 3 - May 15th, Leeds, Uk
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Pab
/me develops a martial art based on combine harvesters for the mancky event
Cath Sparrow
HaHa! My persauvsive abilities have worked again!! evil.gif
Industrial Kybosh
I've actually been in discussions with Sir Commie of Bastard about suggested forms for this event, and I suppose now would be a good time to give you my idea for a safe, cheap, fun booze fest.

Find a hotel of good size and reasonable price, then book ourselves as many rooms as we need. After this, we set ourselves up in the largest of the rooms we have rented, and set about booze that we have carted with us (cheaper than pub or club prices...). A small hifi will be present for fun enhancing music.

See the simplicity? No need to worry about staggering back to the hotel, drunk - we'll already be there! No need to worry about Manc scallies taking umbrage with our slightly off-centre appearances - we'll be the only ones there! No need to kow-tow to other people's ideas of what makes good drinking music, or indeed good drinks - we can provide our own! Heck, if we sort this out properly, we can bloody well make cocktails!

Granted, it may seem pretty low-rent for a Meet, but frankly, that's what I, and Commie too, it seems, prefer. Sometimes actually going out can be more hassle than it's worth. Besides, if it's shopping you want, there'll be a whole other day afterwards. Providing you remember your Alka-Seltzer...

If this idea meets with enough approval, I'll pull a date out of my calendar, and we can start looking for a hotel. Woo!
Cath Sparrow
Sounds like a damn good plan to me and it'll mean Weej can definatly get in and I'll promise no beer fights with SpaceHappy! tongue.gif
Seriously though it does sound like a good plan cause it'll generally cause less hassel and if it's any help I'm going to be driving up so if we want to put money together to buy the alcohol then a couple of us go and get all together. Another Idea how about a holiday appartment thingy rather than hotel cause then we wouldn't have to worry about managment or anything and if it's split between lots it should still be pretty cheap but you'd need a definate number of bodies.
Mata
Well obviously you can count me in. Just make sure that someone brings along cleaning products. Being of a practical mind, I am aware that hotels don't respond very well to having the place left in a bit of a mess when the residents are finished with a room.
Pab
The basic plan sounds good to me, but I wonder if a place would be willing to let peeps just party in a room like that ... Is there such a thing as a 'private functions' type room that we could get? or would that suck? .. dunno ... open to suggestions, me ...
Cath Sparrow
this is why Iwas surgesting the house/flat cause then we wouldn't need to worry about most of that just the clean up the next day.
WeeJ
Thats a bally good idea. Count me in biggrin.gif what date is is it?
Pab
yeah .. A 'when', though difficult, would be nice, cos the sooner I book with easyjet the cheaper it is (perhaps)
WeeJ
Well, I'm guessing it would have to be a weekend because of work. Student types will be on hols though.
mooooooooooopo
I'm starting year in industry work in August, havent even found out how far ahead I need to book my holidays, so a when would be rather handy.
Pixelgoth
Come on then InKy tell us the date tongue.gif I'm up for it and I'm sure Ed will wanna' tag along as he hasn't seen some of you in ages (dry.gif to Mike!)
Queenie
Oh yea... date please!! I really want to go!! *prays it's not during festival time*
WeeJ
Bump....Come on people, pick a date...

Saturday 7th August?
Saturday 14th August?
Saturday 21st August?
I'm guessing Saturday's as its what we've done for every other Matameet and its easier on the traveling for everyone.

Pick a date people!
Queenie
7th or 14th would be good for me!! laugh.gif
Cath Sparrow
7th no good as I'll be on a plane. 14th not to hot either really. dry.gif
Queenie
Bugger... i can't do the week after sad.gif
mooooooooooopo
Any of them, but the 14th is probably most convenient.
CommieBastard
7th I'm in Canada...
Pab
'ang on ... its inkys bash .. he calls the shots on this one ... surely?
CommieBastard
Nothing wrong with saying which dates we can and can't make.
Pixelgoth
I thought Mike was suggesting September anyway unsure.gif August is no good for me unless I can do some juggling of other events sad.gif
Pab
I was thinking 28-29 aug or even 4-5 sept ... with a possible 21-22 aug on the outside ... But it's more of an Inky-bash than a matameet, as I see it, and I don't wanna pressure the man into anything much ... *develops complexes*
Mata
I can't be around on the 14th either. The general plan previously I thought was late August, so the 21st sounds about right. September is also good for me.

If anyone else fancies coming along to a circus convention 13th-15th August you'll be more than welcome!

http://www.circuswurx.co.uk/conv.html

You really don't have to be able to juggle. The plan is that you sit around, drink/smoke, camp and have fun. It's in the grounds of a theatre, so there are proper showers and toilets. It's a bloody good laugh and everyone there is very friendly.

Ooo, and here's a pic of me from that website sitting on an invisible stool.

http://www.circuswurx.co.uk/gallery/ccf200...-devilstick.jpg
Pixelgoth
Personally if I can pick and choose and have some input (although I doubt Mike'll listen to me tongue.gif) is I would prefer September. If it has to be August then the 21st is better for me. I'm not sure I can make any other weekend as yet.
Queenie
I can't do the last weekend in August so after that september would be good for me too... but hey it's Inky's say!! smile.gif
WeeJ
I'm easy as long as I can get about a month's noticfe so I can 'book' the time off with Mats band so there are no rehersals/gigs.
Cath Sparrow
septs fine with me as I wont be so skint from holidays. biggrin.gif
Pixelgoth
Has anyone heard from Mike BTW? Where is the slaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!? tongue.gif
Industrial Kybosh
Sorry folks. Major lapse in internet ability there. Business as usual, I hope.

Date-wise, a weekend is a must. Call your preference now for last in August or first in September.

I hear a few concerns, so let's talk:

Granted, some hoteliers may be loathe to let people go mental in their rooms, but let's look at it this way - will any of us really be banging out mental noise, throwing TVs out of the window and staging Riverdance in clogs in the wee small hours? Keep it moderately mellow and friendly, and I'm sure no-one will mind. If, however, you'd prefer a function room to be booked (not a bad idea...) then that's cool with me. Minimises any risk of pissing off hotel owners, but keeps the close, friendly atmosphere I was hoping for. So long as we all chip in for costs, I'm up for it.

Vote on your date of choice, and I'll make my final say next Sunday - basically, I'll just go with the majority, as either weekend would suit me. Hope that's enough time for you all to get your party hats in order. If someone could do a sweep of likely hotels in Manchester - I really wouldn't know where to start - that would be wonderful.

However it turns out, I hope many people can come, and that a wonderful time is had by all.
Cath Sparrow
Eithers good for me probably perfer 1st week of sept though cause I'm more likely to have been payed by then! biggrin.gif
Pixelgoth
I bagsey first weekend in September. I can't do the last weekend in August at the moment smile.gif
Pab
1st weekend in September (4th-5th) is fine by me, though money is scarce and I will need some financial good news before then if I am to make it ...

That being said, I also second the idea of getting some functions room or something. Hotel rooms in my experience are designed to be cramped at best, and rarely have enough room to walk around the bed, let alone have between 10 and 20 people being forumites ... What would be really good would be to take over a B&B for that satruday night, or even Friday and Saturday ... It sounds like it relies on luck, and might not be overly cheap, but it could be worth looking into, somehow ... We need an agent in Manchester ...
Pixelgoth
I'd offer to look for a hotel but my life is waaaaay to busy and complicated right now. Sorry 'bout that. Try Smooth Hound for hotels.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I vote for first of September...that is if I could go unsure.gif
WeeJ
I'm all up for chipping in for a function room smile.gif and I'm pretty easy for whichever weekend as long as I'm fully pre warned.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Well - I'm well up for coming and also happy to chip in for a function room.

Me and Forever Unknown would like to find someone who can get us there though? Anyone in Hampshire/Wiltshire who's driving?

We have money?
Pixelgoth
Before I commit to "chipping in" I'd like to know how much would be required. I've just bought a new car and my pockets are really feeling the strain sad.gif
Spacehappy
Ok before people start about function rooms ect, i've done some rough workings out and came up with a cunning plan.

I estimate about 16 (including partners) could be coming to this shindig. with about 10-12 rooms required (this may drop due to people sharing). So the cunning plan is find a small hotel that can accomidate us all, if it's small enough then we can book it fully with ourselves. A hotel that can fit that many rooms will ALSO have its own bar!. That way we can just take over the bar for our event, get discount on the rooms as we could most proberly book the entire thing.

The problem with this cunning plan is we need an exact head count, of who is going and what rooms are needed. As some people will make living room arrangements.

As for chipping in if we do need a function room, i'm in.
Pab
sounds cunning ... sounds like a plan ...

I shall use my local CIA office to find out as much as possible in the next couple of days, and come in here with an excuse as to why I came up with no results ...

edited to add: First search in the corridors of power reveal nothing. Hopes are not high, but then Manchester is 1500 miles too far away for me for an easy investigation
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Pab @ Jul 6 2004, 04:46 PM)
sounds cunning ... sounds like a plan ...

I shall use my local CIA office to find out as much as possible in the next couple of days, and come in here with an excuse as to why I came up with no results ...

Already on it, checking and email hotels as we speak. wink.gif

Big Edit adding the following

http://www.simplehotels.com/en/part-1-5087...ford-lodge.html

They have a bar open until 1.30am. Twin/double 24.50pp for 1 night - Single 49.00 for one night (discounts for groups, and cheaper for more than one night.

Will add more as i find them.

http://reservations.bookhostels.com/kasbah...stelNumber=3355

Ok i found this place they have 10 rooms and can accomidate 16 people, but they will stetch to more (3 people sharing) Bar is open to 11pm but longer for the right group wink.gif price is 23.00pp per night and thats B&B. i have a contact number for them and a name. They are currently free for that entire weekend.

It's all up you you now, as im called/web searched out. If you need the name number let me know, they will require a booking free of half the price of front.
Cath Sparrow
I'm up for it and I'll check with Queenie ansd see if she wants to share a room with me.
Mata
I'm up for either weekend and happy to pay those kind of prices. I'm fine with sharing a room, it'll probably either be with Sues if she's up for it or alternatively whoever doesn't mind me possibly snoring due to beer laugh.gif
Pixelgoth
Those prices sound good *pats Spacehappy on back* nice one mate! biggrin.gif Once we have a definite date and price you should let us know and we can decide. I'd rather not say yes right now as I don't know when Mum is going to need me but I should know a little nearer to the date smile.gif
WeeJ
Someone give me lots and lots of warning in case I don't check this thread often enough. I want to come to this and I'm going to owe money for my laptop ( biggrin.gif ) and driving lessons....so cheap is good smile.gif
Polocrunch
What 'er up there said ^. I'll probably need reminding if I'm to get there.

I'm up for the room-share thing as I probably won't have a lot of money available.

And I say the first weekend in September, else I'll not be able to come. I'll be in 'Nam (no, really!) for the last weekend of August, so no chance there.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Okay - I'm up for coming and have permission to do so. Big time.

Happy to share a room/bed with Forever Unknown.

I just need a date and place.
Forever Unknown
First time I've looked at this thread...

Yes, I've been told to come, so I'm happy with that. As long as I don't have to make any effort, y'know...

This time I promise not to all Mata a 'bastard' for feeding my chili vodka, race vibrators, or get eaten by Mr Fuzzy's room.

Well. I hope not, at least.

Aside from that, I'm too lazy to form an opinion, so allowing Snuggles to be my Power of Attorney for this one.
Cath Sparrow
Why would you make such a daft promise!!! biggrin.gif

Oh! yea and Queenie said she would share with me if she's not working that weekend.
Spacehappy
Ok depending on Inky's Veto (it's his bash after all). We are doing 3-5 september.
(that's the first weekend).

Rooms could so far look like this, with i'm sure many,many alterations to come.

Snuggles/Forever
Mata/Sues
Cath/Queenie ?
Polo/Commie ?
Weej/Darok ?
Sps/Tarantio
Pab ?
Pixie ?
Fuzzy
Me

? means i'm not sure if there coming.

Not needing rooms.

Inky/Missus.

Problem in this http://reservations.bookhostels.com/kasbah...stelNumber=3355
hotel there are 10 rooms max, which means any more wanting to come means more sharing and in some cases three to a room. (I will not be sharing a room with anyone, i have a tendancy to be violent in my sleep in unfamiliar surroundings). They can hold 16 people before people have to triple up. But it means we get an entire hotel to ourselves. rolleyes.gif

Anyway let me know what you think, espcially Inky as it is his bash, i'm just trying to make it let stressful for all of us. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.