Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You Know You're A Geek When...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
acidteardrop
the other day I was driving along with some people, and it was about sunset. It was a gorgeous evening, I must say, with the trees just hiding all but the top of the sun, and the sky alight with hues of lavender, scarlet, gold, and flame-orange. The foreground, mixed with the trees behind and the skyline in the back created a three level effect, much like in games (i.e. super mario world, the three speed screen scrolling). Of course my mind would revert to video games, and without thinking I said aloud, "The resolution on the background is incredible!" I didn't realize that I was IRL until someone tapped me on the shoulder and said, "You are the biggest geek I've ever met." I pulled up to the side of the road, stone faced, stared forward for a second, and everyone, myself included, exploded with raucious laughter. Best moment of my weekend.

Anyone else have an incurrence like this? Something that happens, either you do or say that proves your absolute geekdom.

I recall another incident when I was but six. I was carousing in the yard, as children often do, after it had just rained. My mother scolded me not to jump in puddles.
A little background before I continue, I played Super Mario World avidly back then. My every day began when I got home and powered on my Super Nintendo, Mario cartridge plugged in, and relaxed to the soothing view of 16-bit graphics. My sisters played too, and whenever one of us would fall, we would always say, "But I pushed jump," as an excuse to why we died.
So here I was, playing in the wet ground, and we are told to get in the car, we were going to whereever. Immediately I turned and stepped in a puddle. My mother screamed at me, and when asked why I did it I said:
"But I pushed jump!"
franken-sarah
*giggles*

I've never had an experience like that, though I do often stop to wonder at colours in the sky, puddles etc., but you, my dear, are geek-bloody-tastic!! laugh.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
QUOTE (acidteardrop @ Apr 15 2004, 06:50 PM)
whenever one of us would fall, we would always say, "But I pushed jump," as an excuse to why we died.

I always used to say that when I was playing with my brother! hehehe

but I'm afraid that truely is geeky! I really want a job in 'Game' but I don't know if they'll want me because I don't know that much about games any more, I haven't had time or money to play as much as I used to since I finished my GCSEs...3 years ago! Argh!
WeeJ
Stop talking or I shall replace you with a small shell script tongue.gif

Mat had to explain to me what that meant unsure.gif
Mata
I was sitting in the bath a few weeks ago, when I noticed that the contents of one of the bottles on the seemed to be moving. The shelves are made of wire and so the bottle was at a slightly fallen angle between the pieces of wire and there was a shimmering effect through the base of the bottle, as if the bottle had recently been turned upside-down, then righted and the contents were trickling back into place. Obviously I knew this hadn't happened so I took a closer look on to realise that the unusual angle meant that the base of the bottle was reflecting the light on the ripples in the bath. And do you know the first thing that crossed my mind?

'Now that's great attention to detail.'

I'm doomed.
Patient #212
OH THANK GOD I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE! Haha.

I'm rather into making my own jewellrey and I have a million little containers for all the beads and things. I was sitting and reorganizing it once and I must have been distracted because I started emptying a bag of really minute red beads into a slot full of really minute black beads (obviously difficult to pick out and re-sort). "Oh s***," I said to myself and then immediately followed it with "Toolbar... Edit... Undo."

My friend was sitting near me and just turned and stared. blink.gif I couldn't figure out what her problem was. And then I looked back at the beads and was faintly surprised that it hadn't fixed itself. Then I realized I was insane.
Sir Psycho Sexy
hehe like patient #212 when ever i make a mistake i always think ctrl z (undo) >_<

also whenever i see something that makes me giggle the first thing that pops into my head is.... "lol" sad isn't it? i'm worried one day it'll actually come out....that'd be embaressing
Polocrunch
I was in a rush one day a few weeks ago and the floor was wet as I ran through the Quad at my school. As I was turning the corner I thought "Oh God, no! I'll slip! Too fast!"

My immediate second thought was "Ahah! But not if the value of mu is greater than the function of the force of my momentum!"

My immediate third thought was "I'm dropping Maths at the end of the year or I'll go insane."
CommieBastard
In moments of irritation, I tell people to STFU!
mooooooooooopo
*raises hand*

My mates are continusly having to slap me for saying lol instead of laughing, using acronyms instead of english (rofl, stfu, rtfm etc.) and worst of all, instead of doing things just saying it and trying to pronounce the stars around it

*sidles off*
CommieBastard
I say "sigh" instead of actually sighing, too.
Patient #212
Oh, that makes me feel so much better, SPS...
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 17 2004, 09:27 PM)

Argh...done that before too
gothictheysay
QUOTE (moop @ Apr 17 2004, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 17 2004, 09:27 PM)

Argh...done that before too

Me three!
oobunnie
A couple of months back, me and my friends were sitting in a coffee place. One of my friends had just found a vanilla ice doll at an antique place. Me and her got into a fight about who knew more of the words to the Ice Ice baby song. So together we started umm "rapping" the song, but as we started it wasnt just me and her, our entire table of 7 people joined in. And we managed to do the entire song and pretty loud at that.
After we finished all the people in the coffee place started clapping.
It really is hard to remember your out in public sometimes.
Usurper MrTeapot
When I'm older and have kids I'm going to have three. One called "Ctrl" the other "Alt" and the third "Delete".

If I have any problems with them I'll just hit them twice and all will be solved.
Sir Maxerpopple
At a model congress tournament(geek level one), a friend of mine was giving a speech, saying something along the lines of "let's just replace the propaganda of the pledge of allegiance with "we love the government' ". As he was walking back next to me, I started to sing "we love the government" to a tune(geek level two). Afte rhearing a line he joined in and we got the tune perfectly(geek level three). Later on the bus home, we started to sing it out lod, someone else joined in(geek level four). Then I named it..."The National Anthem for the Time Saving 21st century". You guessed it, geek level five.

That same day, I started to sing the catloaf song to some friends. They looked at me like I was insane.
Sarah the Spider
I say the word "gasp" instead of actually gasping. It drives my friends nuts because I've been doing it so long.

I see things like sunsets, nature, cool city scenes, etc. and think about how I could convert them into avatars with text.

I have compared pets in pet stores to Poke'Mon.

I allude to random authors in everyday conversation. Good for English class...not Friday nights.

I hum the theme song to Nights (Into Dreams). Often.

I do many, many other things with are equally nerdy which are escaping my mind at the moment.

I am...in short...a geek. cool.gif Oh well.

Geeky Conversation Starter of the Day: "So Gandalf, Peter Parker, and Spock walk into a bar..."
Sarah the Spider
QUOTE (MrTeapot @ Apr 17 2004, 04:52 PM)
When I'm older and have kids I'm going to have three. One called "Ctrl" the other "Alt" and the third "Delete".

If I have any problems with them I'll just hit them twice and all will be solved.

If I had three kids, two boys and a girl, I would name them "Luke", "Skye", and "Walker."

XD

May the force be with you...and you...and you.
gothictheysay
I see things like sunsets, nature, cool city scenes, etc. and think about how I could convert them into avatars with text.

I'll stare at a scene in nature and go "that would make a great picture." Maybe the photographer in me developing. Oh, I didn't do that on purpose! Ha! Ha! I am so good. Before you know it, I'll be like "That tree would make the perfect avatar!"
Artemisia
Haven't really had a geeky moment like the rest of you describe until this morning.

My brain must have been finding solutions to something while I was asleep because as I started to wake up, I felt my brain going a mile a minute and thought the ideas were great, and worried I would forget them upon waking, I thought "better print them out and save them." Then, I promptly forgot them, not having a mini printer in my brain that can shoot the paper out of my ears. Wouldn't that be great though?
monkey_called_narth
well... i play alot of dsl-mud... and my freind asked dirrections to my house and i immidiatly came out with a long stream of n, n, n, w,n, w, n, n, n, e, n, n. and according to the way you go at each block... sad part it i did it in revers for me going to he house and well... lets just say i got a rather nasty phone call 3 hours later and had to go pic her up....

ive also tried to click at my cat punk... i spend way to much of my time plying night of the zombie kittens....
Little Green Goth
I had a friend, just after she found the internet and it's unique way of typing, who constanly said things like "lmao, OMG" and so on. *just got up, not going to put them all* And she is MAJORLY in to RPing. She even thinks the chars she plays are real inside her head and can sit back and watch them interact with eachother..

But the closest I've come to being a geek would be running over my glasses and still wearing them afterwords.
CommieBastard
I listen to the Imperial March from Star Wars all the time, it's on my iPod.

I'm going to buy the debut album by the Black Mages, a rock band featuring Nobuo Uematsu which does rock versions of Final Fantasy music.

I knew who Nobuo Uematsu was in the first place.

I recently had a conversation with a friend about what would happen if we put Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto and Peter Molyneux into a room.
my cool username wasn't take
I am a nerd. If I do something stupid I say to myself, "Ctrl Z." And then I say, "You can't do that in real life." I say a lot of keyboard control things out loud. If I am handwriting, I will find myself thinking about caps lock and so forth as well.
gothictheysay
If looking at an article or a page in a book, and I lost my place, I'll think "ctrl + f". Dammit, there's no command for that in a book...
Marsyas
Last spring when I played the Sims pretty heavily, I'd start thinking to myself in extraneous situations things like:

"Oh, I'm tired...my energy bar must be getting REALLY low."
"I have to go to the store, but I have no money...Ctrl+C rosebud; ;....damn it, that won't work here!!!"

Even when I was really little, I'd be bouncing a four square ball or something and I'd notice the trajectory of it and think, "Geez, I KNOW there has to be an equation for that or something. I wish I knew...I'm only 7!"

Geeky at a young age, oh yes...happy.gif
Dreams On Hiatus
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 17 2004, 02:46 PM)
hehe like patient #212 when ever i make a mistake i always think ctrl z (undo) >_<

also whenever i see something that makes me giggle the first thing that pops into my head is.... "lol" sad isn't it? i'm worried one day it'll actually come out....that'd be embaressing

I do the same thing, except I actually say 'lol' out loud. Trina said something funny in class one day and I said "Oh my god lol. Oh wait....did I just say 'lol'??" laugh.gif

And once when I was drawing and I screwed up I went to reach for the mouse to erase it, when I remembered I wasn't using the computer...

laugh.gif
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 18 2004, 04:28 PM)

I'm going to buy the debut album by the Black Mages, a rock band featuring Nobuo Uematsu which does rock versions of Final Fantasy music.

I recently had a conversation with a friend about what would happen if we put Hideo Kojima, Shigeru Miyamoto and Peter Molyneux into a room.

biggrin.gif we rule - plus I have the Metallica version of the Imperial March aswell tongue.gif

Anyway geeky habits...

Sometimes when I'm reading something that I want to tell someone about I find myself making the finger action that would press "Control + C" and then "Control + V" which copy and paste, which is worrying.

When people talk to loud I tell them to turn it up a bit, I'm not trying to colloquial. It just happens.

I have at least one Final Fantasy based discussion/debate/argument per day even if it has to be with myself.

I read Fantasy novels before I sleep then end up dreaming about said novels then waking up and talking like one of the characters for half an hour.

I correct people when they pronounce reseach "ree-search" instead of "re-search"

I have a christmas card signed by the Rareware team who made Goldeneye. And I'm really really proud of it.

Whenever I talk to someon about The Matrix films I refer them to William Gibson novels.

If anyone mentions Pink Floyd I commence a speech about Syd Barrett

I'm sure there are lots more. I don't realise how geeky I am until I converse with new people rather than my own circle of friends.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Thus Spoke Zarathustra @ Apr 18 2004, 05:39 PM)
I have a christmas card signed by the Rareware team who made Goldeneye. And I'm really really proud of it.

I used mail order to buy a warhammer 40,000 model (games workshop stuff) when i was a sprog, with a little note asking for it to be delivered on my birthday, not only did they oblige but they put a card (depicting a a warhammer 40,000 battle) signed by each and every person on the mail order staff (there were like 20 signatures) i was dead chuffed with that....i wonder if i still have it at home somewhere....
jicama
i am the queen of geeks.

some of my earliest memories are being called in by my parents... not for supper, but to watch star trek, and being tucked into bed with stories like lotr, hitchhikers guide, and the myth series.

as a kid, i fondly remember being taught by my brother how to roll an ad&d character, and getting pointers from my mom on what the best equipment to purchase was.

these days my place is full of geek memorabilia and i constantly look for ways to inject star trek, spider-man or what have you into various school projects. the two i'm most proud of are a classics essay comparing the greek pantheon to comic book super heroes and a photography project about "geek pride".
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 19 2004, 12:38 AM)
I used mail order to buy a warhammer 40,000 model

Dude! A fellow Warhammer gamer! I quit because it was just too damn expensive, but I had an Eldar and an Ork army. I used to write 40k stories too. I have one of the books...and I can see a bunch of the rulebooks and codexes from here...
Juiceisgood
Wah? I played 40k for a while, then stopped due to the fact that it was rediculously expensive and the fact that GW are a bunch of pigs. unsure.gif

Yeah, I guess that makes me somewhat of a nerd... but come to think of it, apart from the fact that i'm on the net alot, I don't really have any other nerdy qualities ohmy.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 18 2004, 09:28 AM)

Bah. I have the ultimate geek claim to fame - My brother used to clean Peter Molyneux's carpets. Apparently, he's got garden gnomes that are actually gnomes from Dungeon Keeper.

And it's obvious, anyway, Shigsy would whip out his banjo, Kojima-san would use that as inspiriation to start writing dialogue about how playing the banjo is similar to saving the world, and Molyneux would generally look moody and pissed-off.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 19 2004, 07:26 AM)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 19 2004, 12:38 AM)
I used mail order to buy a warhammer 40,000 model

Dude! A fellow Warhammer gamer! I quit because it was just too damn expensive, but I had an Eldar and an Ork army. I used to write 40k stories too. I have one of the books...and I can see a bunch of the rulebooks and codexes from here...

I stoped playing when they changed the rules....which was really annoying because i'd just learned how to play a game without looking at the rule book every 5 minutes so then i just painted the models, i was working on a land raider crusader but couldn't work out how the sponsons went together so i put it in the official games workshop case i own and forgot all about it, i have to say i was getting pretty good at painting the models too, i like doing the special chracters, much more fun....i should get some new paint....no doubt my old ones have dried up.... tongue.gif
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
I stopped when I woke up out of a trance like state one day and thought "wtf am I doing here, with these models, in a darkened room?"
spiffilicious05
I don't know if this classifies me as a geek but one night as I was talking to Righteous and falling asleep very quickly I started to drift in and out of a dream state.

I then randomly said after he asked me a question (what the question was only lord knows): I like the hat.

I was so completely embarassed after that *giggles.*

I've also glued a million tiny little googly eyes to my mother's old huge glasses and wore them around the house. (Righteous was there to witness that)

I've gotten into a lake, spun around, and said: I love water. It's so liquidy.
(DOH was there to witness that one)

And the biggest geekiest thing of all.. I really enjoy writing labs. Where you make the procedure, and purpose, and hypothesis. Not ones that are already given to you and you need to complete, but actually writing them. Then taking them to science fairs.

happy.gif I'm such a dork
MistressAlti
I go to this private boarding school called the Academy. It's... school for smart kids, for lack of a better term. We pick up our college-level associates' degrees in science at the same time the rest of the nation's high-schoolers are finishing their diplomas.

We specialize in nerd-dom.

<---- Nerd Pride. Right here.

We're the kind of people who would take Calculus III for fun, who think Warcraft and Counterstrike are Olympic sports, and occasionally do homework on the weekends. Our idea of community bonding means watching Adult Swim after study hours, and we're most likely to know each other best through our Xanga weblogs.

Oh, and we're almost all fans of quirky flash animation. Everyone knows about Matazone. That, and Albino Blacksheep and Homestar Runner. In fact, we quote Homestar Runner at least twice a day. Usually more.

... there was a point...

Oh yes. My geekdom usurps you all. I have video proof. And no, you can't see it.
CommieBastard
I decided with a friend today to host a Geek-A-Thon, over two days - the first day to show the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the second to show the Star Wars trilogy. I want to have a D&D game too, and Magic: The Gathering, and maybe Warhammer 40k...that'll rule.
Sir Psycho Sexy
I own Neverwinter Nights and both of the expansion packs....thats just ad&d but a computer game...and online, it rocks biggrin.gif

though when i play online i generally create female characters and flirt outrageously with the geeky little kids that can't work out i'm a bloke....i'm sure there's something wrong with that morally, but its too much fun....and they give me cool weapons and money....i'm such a whore blink.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 19 2004, 05:33 PM)
though when i play online i generally create female characters and flirt outrageously with the geeky little kids that can't work out i'm a bloke....i'm sure there's something wrong with that morally, but its too much fun....and they give me cool weapons and money....i'm such a whore blink.gif

Ah, I used to play MMORPGs. Then I kept getting lynched because I stole things. Lots of things. Pretty much anything, actually. You know lots of games give free stuff to n00bs? I took as much as I could, then sold it on to other n00bs who didn't know they could get it for free. Stuff like that.
MiniRagnarok
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 19 2004, 12:35 PM)
Ah, I used to play MMORPGs. Then I kept getting lynched because I stole things. Lots of things. Pretty much anything, actually. You know lots of games give free stuff to n00bs? I took as much as I could, then sold it on to other n00bs who didn't know they could get it for free. Stuff like that.

It's because of people like you that I bought a Chocobo Ticket for 4000 gil instead of 400.....Oh, right.....That's a little geeky.

I don't know if this is obsessive or geeky, but i have everything Final Fantasy that you can think of. I didn't get to buy a couple game boy games or Mystic Quest. I'm also going to be killing people if they don't make a CD for the Orchestra Concert they're holding on May 10th. Even worse, I love all of them. I buy without knowing anything, yet they're so great.

I'm pretty sure getting excited because FFXII is being made by Yasumi Matsuno is geeky too.

I'm not sure about this, but when i got the Family Guy Season1&2, I watched it straight. I spent so many hours on it, Stewie replaced me inside my head for a couple of weeks. That is, my internal voice used Stewie's voice and even added new vocabulary for me. Even I was creeped out when I realized it.

Not only do I subscribe to OPM (Official Playstation Magazine) but I get EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) too.

Whenever I go over to someone's house that has cable, I watch TechTV nonstop. The only time I'll change the channel is when RobotWars is on or there's something really good on SciFi.

This is the last thing I swear. Yesterday my girlfriend and I were talking about great shows when we were little. Somehow we got to Beast Wars and were both excited about it. Even though I had essays to do, I searched the house until I found a tape of two episodes we had. Needless to say, she came over later and we watched it. Even worse, we knew what was going to happen. I even remembered that it was on just before school. It was right before Sailor Moon (I had to leave during Sailor Moon). She didn't get to see Sailor Moon because she had to leave a little earlier than me. Oh well, I don't really care that I'm a geek.
Polocrunch
Dude! Warhammer rocked! Well, really it was kind of sad, and very time consuming, but it was pretty fun at times. Mostly I just liked looking at the intricate scenery that GW make. Painting was fun too, but I never really got to play very much. Consequently I stopped playing, but I hung around the Warhammer club at my school for two years just for old times' sakes. I even ran a newspaper at one point. I'd totally forgotten about that.

I used to collect Lizardmen. It was so boring painting the millions of models that you needed for a decent-sized army that I ended up with mostly untouched units of soldiers. I have loads of paints too, and brushes and metal pieces. I still have the armies, and I want to sell them to make some money, but I kind of miss playing it. I'm also mightily pissed off that they keep changing the armies and the Codices. Those money-grabbing scoundrels. The workers at GW are pretty lousy too - so intrusive, laddish and rude. Tch.

God, I'm sad, aren't I?
my cool username wasn't take
When somebody talks about the matrix I usually think of the math term. Then there is my Star Wars collection and my constant quotes from people, fictional, and non-fictional.
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
I decided with a friend today to host a Geek-A-Thon, over two days - the first day to show the Lord of the Rings trilogy, the second to show the Star Wars trilogy. I want to have a D&D game too, and Magic: The Gathering, and maybe Warhammer 40k...that'll rule.

I am so there!

I'm pretty sure getting excited because FFXII is being made by Yasumi Matsuno is geeky too.

It is? Why didn't I know?? Hooray!
spiffilicious05
I go to this private boarding school called the Academy. It's... school for smart kids, for lack of a better term. We pick up our college-level associates' degrees in science at the same time the rest of the nation's high-schoolers are finishing their diplomas.

I constantly get letters from a private school offering such corses but I don't go for two reasons:

a) It looks scary and I don't know anyone there and it's far away >_<
cool.gif We don't have any money to send me

sry
/end spam
Mata
I had a subscription to 2600 for a few years (it ran out and I haven't had spare cash around to renew it, but I plan to).

Even knowing what 2600 is is geeky.

Jonman's not mentioned he was on the bridge team at school.

Oh, and I guess this is fairly normal, but I've just spent the last three hours sitting reading this message board.
gothictheysay
Oh, and I guess this is fairly normal, but I've just spent the last three hours sitting reading this message board.

Ever since I found this place it's been my second home. *cling*
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 19 2004, 08:09 PM)

Normal for you, because it's your board. The rest of us are the big losers. happy.gif
jicama
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 20 2004, 01:09 AM)
I had a subscription to 2600 for a few years (it ran out and I haven't had spare cash around to renew it, but I plan to).

Even knowing what 2600 is is geeky.

nifty! my dad buys 2600 on a regular basis!

proud to say i come from a long line of geeks! cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.