Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: You Know You're A Geek When...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 19 2004, 06:09 PM)
Jonman's not mentioned he was on the bridge team at school.

Not only on the bridge team. I was the captain!

Took the team through to the National Semi-Finals thankyouverymuch

My geekness > your geekness.

So nerr.
monkey_called_narth
QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 20 2004, 07:21 AM)

Took the team through to the National Semi-Finals thankyouverymuch

My geekness > your geekness.

So nerr.

whats a brige team?

my newest low: i dumped a glass of water on my cat because it rolled off the moniter of my computer on the keyboard and cost me my score on the kittens game.... punk isnt very happy about that.
Thus Spoke Zarathustra
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 20 2004, 01:09 AM)
Jonman's not mentioned he was on the bridge team at school.

Hehe
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (Jonman @ Apr 20 2004, 07:21 AM)

[pirateyness] arrrrgh Cap'n Jonman [/pirateyness]

edit: i was quite excited by the glowing blueness of the button on the front of my monitor....thats quite geeky tongue.gif

edit again: see?? tongue.gif
Jonman
QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ Apr 20 2004, 01:27 AM)
whats a brige team?

A team. That plays Bridge.

Bridge: Any of several card games derived from whist, usually played by four people in two partnerships, in which trump is determined by bidding and the hand opposite the declarer is played as a dummy.
(from dictionary.com

English Bridge Union Website

It's traditionally played by the terminally old and/or terminally nerdy.
acidteardrop
*is mesmorized by SPS's light*

that's a sexy light, SPS.
mooooooooooopo
The backlight on the temperature sensor on my computer is mesmerising too...it has 7 colours...and a mode that cycles through them

It keeps me entertained for hours on end! laugh.gif
{Gothic Angel}
I have had occasions when I actually said lol instead of laughing. My dad and step mum game too so when we were drivin along in the car and one of us pointed something out another one would always end up comparing it to whatever game we were playing at the time.

My mum is actually the worst. whenever shes giving me a lecture, she compares everything to D&D as if thats gonna make it easier for me to understand or something.

We're a whole family of geeks! biggrin.gif
MissJade
Ok... you REALLY know your a geek when you watch Star Wars and can talk along with the characters on screen because you have seen it so many times.... THAT is SAD!!!

(I am a sad lonely individual with no life... well at least I'm not a "Half witted, scruffy looking, Nerf herder!"... oh dear!)
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (MissJade @ Apr 25 2004, 02:06 PM)
Ok... you REALLY know your a geek when you watch Star Wars and can talk along with the characters on screen because you have seen it so many times.... THAT is SAD!!!

(I am a sad lonely individual with no life... well at least I'm not a "Half witted, scruffy looking, Nerf herder!"... oh dear!)

i would have said you're really a geek when you have your own salior moon RPG website >_> tongue.gif
gothictheysay
Jade, we watched "The Lion King" in Home Ec one time, and EVERYONE was talking/singing along. I mean, the Lion King. laugh.gif
EvilSpork
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 17 2004, 02:46 PM)
also whenever i see something that makes me giggle the first thing that pops into my head is.... "lol" sad isn't it? i'm worried one day it'll actually come out....that'd be embaressing

My friend acctually did that. Instead of laughing he was like "lol! That's funny!" .... Everybody stared at him then we laughed and he hadn't realized what he did for a bit.

I can't say I've said or done anything, but I've thought it!
MissJade
i would have said you're really a geek when you have your own salior moon RPG website

*goes and hides in the corner* It's not my fault.... I realise I have a problem... coming to terms with my problem is the first step in conquering it tongue.gif

And if anyone wants to join please do! especially guys... amazingly enough its only girls at the moment rolleyes.gif
acidteardrop
I remember the old SM was a good anime...but I don't think I know enough about it to join an RPG...=/ sorry

yes, I've done the "lol" thing. the funny part is...even when I'm typing...I don't type "lol" ever...or any variation thereof...

wierd.

I was reciting Red vs. Blue (the Halo scenes...) in history.

"This here's a warthog"

"looks to me more like a Puma"

"oh, now you're just makin' up animals!"

XDXDXD
gothictheysay
HAH. I know what a Puma is. Don't worry. laugh.gif
MistressAlti
You know you're a geek when...

You get up early on a Saturday morning to set up a LAN party with your former Physics professor.

Oh man. Yesterday was probably one of my geekiest moments. Yay, Counterstrike.
EvilSpork
Does it make me a geek for walking around town with some friends and a couch and sitting in random places and people's front lawns? If so label me Couch Masta Geek. Yeah.
Patient #212
You know you're a geek when you get really really really excited when you realize that it's your 100th Post on Matazone and consider throwing yourself a little party.

Yay! 100th Post!
MiniRagnarok
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 25 2004, 10:18 AM)
i would have said you're really a geek when you have your own salior moon RPG website >_> tongue.gif

Do give us a link......... rolleyes.gif Please.

Sorry, I never have sigs enabled. tongue.gif
MissJade
uhhh... the link is on my signature (click the banner)
Kamaradi
Well, I can remember a few years ago being addicted to Goldeneye 007 for the N64. I played it so much that when I walked from point A to point B in my house I would in my mind press one of the C buttons so I could strafe. It was sad.

Then there was the cruise I went on three weeks ago... I went to the front of the ship and immediately thought of the Frigate level.

Umm, once my brother woke me up from a deep sleep and in my sleepy dream state I said something about him looking like a poorly rendered texture map... although I honestly don't remember that. He teases me about it though.

And the other day I asked one of my friends if I could download a sheet of paper. Yeah, that was pretty funny.

So, I have a lot of minor geeky moments, but I haven't had any major ones yet.
Twitching
The extent of my geekness is that I can recite the lines from Princess Bride. And I've played Everquest and Star Wars Galaxies. (....SOE stinks.... dry.gif )

I'm guilty of occasionally saying, and quite frequently thinking "lol"

And I've got a computer tan. Last summer it looked flourescent with my SPF 50. ((Resist sun cancer! Be pale!))

But I did have to convince my best guy friend that yes, I really did have better things to do than borrow his Star Trek tapes and have a marathon.

Does the very fact that we belong to message boards and actually post on them make us geeks?
monkey_called_narth
QUOTE (Twitching @ Apr 28 2004, 05:15 PM)
Does the very fact that we belong to message boards and actually post on them make us geeks?

yep.

and the fact that many of us come back 3-4 times a day (ive hit points where ill get on here 20 times a day for short little sessions)
Dreams On Hiatus
When I first got my old nintendo, I had a dream that I was playing Mario Bros. I forgot to push jump and I would fall off the cliff and jump awake, and I caught myself saying "Dangit I almost beat it!" After I said that out loud I realized I was only dreaming... unsure.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Twitching @ Apr 29 2004, 12:15 AM)
The extent of my geekness is that I can recite the lines from Princess Bride.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Edit to add:

"Inigo Montoya" is my screen name in a couple of places biggrin.gif
Polocrunch
I have no idea what that actor was called, but he was fist-bitingly hot.
ravein
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 29 2004, 12:32 PM)
QUOTE (Twitching @ Apr 29 2004, 12:15 AM)
The extent of my geekness is that I can recite the lines from Princess Bride.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Edit to add:

"Inigo Montoya" is my screen name in a couple of places biggrin.gif

Kat (karismaklysm) and her roommate Ande have the Princess Bride drinking game... they basically watch the movie.. and recite it line by line.. whoever blows a line has to take a shot...

the extent of my geekdom is building my own laptop and network, and spending a weekend building my LJ and webpage... and I do have a slight GI Joe/ Transformers addiction... that is all.. really...
acidteardrop
ahh The Princess Bride...I'm completely obsessed with it and I, too, can recite it line for line.

which scene? I like the vague sexual innuendo at the top of the cliffs on insanity...

Vizzini: you, take the girl and come with me, you finish him off, then catch up with us
Inigo: I'm going to do him left handed (wink wink)
Vizzini: you KNOW what a hurry we're in!
Inigo: It's the only way I can be satisfied, if I use my right, over too quickly (WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE!)
Vincini: Oh, have it your way!

XDXDXDXD

and the Sicilian rant...I've done the whole thing on the vaguest unintended allusion to it...

Vizzini: so, it is down to you and it is down to me
*Wesley advances*
Vizzini: If you wish her dead, by all means keep moving forward
Wesley: let me explain...
Vizzini: There is nothing to explain, you're trying to kidnapp what I've rightfully stolen
Wesley: Perhaps...an arrangement can be made?
Vizzini: There will be no arrangements, and you're killing her
Wesley: Well if there can be no arrangements, then we are at an impass
Vizzini: It appears so, I can't compete with you physically, and you are no match for my brain
Wesley: You're that smart?
Vizzini: let me put it this way...have you ever heard of Socrates? Aristotle? PLATO!?!
Wes: yes
Viz: Morons
Wes: In that case I challenge you to a battle of wits
Viz: For the princess?
*Wes nods*
Viz: To the death?
*Wes nods*
Viz: I accept
Wes; good, then pour the wine
*Viz pours wine, while Wes pulls a vial out of his jacket*
Wes: inhale this, but do not touch
*Viz sniffs the vial*
VIz: I smell nothing
Wes: what you do not smell is called Iocane poweder, it is odorless, tasteless, dissolves instantly in liquids, and is among the more deadly of poisons known to man
*Viz chuckles, interested*
*Wes takes the goblets behind his back, pours powder in, and puts them back all dramatic-like, switching the glasses, then switching them back for show*
Wes: The battle of wits has begun. It ends when you decide and we both drink and find out who is right, and who is dead.
Viz: it's so simple...all I have to do is divine from what I know of you...are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemies? now, a clever man would put the poison in his own glass, because only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Wes: You've made your descision then?
Viz: not remotely! becayse Iocane comes from australia, as everyone knows, and australia are entirely a people with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them as you are not trusted by me so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Wes: Truly you have a dizzying intellect
Viz: WAIT 'Til I gET GOING! where was I?
Wes: australia
Viz: yes, and you must have suspected I knew the powders origin so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Wes: You're just stalling now
Viz: YOU'D LIKE TO THINK THAT< WOULDN"T YOU? you've beaten my giant which means you are exceptionally strong, so you may be relying on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my spaniard, which means you must have studied and in studying you'd have learned that man is mortal so you'd have put the poison as far from yourself as possible so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Wes; you're trying to trick me into giving something away...it won't work
Viz: but it HAS worked, you've given everything away, I know where the poison is!
Wes: Then make your choive!
Viz: I will and I choose--*suspense* what in the world cna that be? *Viz points behind Wes*
Wes: what? where? I don't see anything *Viz switches glasses*
Viz: well, I could have sworn I saw something...*chuckles*
Wes:what's so funny?
Viz: nothing..I'll, I'll tell you in a minute, but first, let's drink, me from my glass, and you, from yours.
*Viz raises the glass to his lips...pauses...feigns drinking for a moment...Wes, drinks calmly, then Viz drinks*
Wes: you guessed wrong.
Viz: YOu ONLY THINK I GUESSED WROnG,, That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! ha ha! you fool! you fell for one of the classic blunders, the most famous is never get involved in a land war in asia, but only SLIGHTLY less well known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line! *laughs hysterically*

who dies? ohmy.gif Vizzini or Wesley? I won't tell you the ending wink.gif you'll have to go watch the movie. do it now! I command you! ha ha ha! tongue.gif

I'm hopeless...

a sidenote, Wallace Shawn (Vizzini) never intended any of his characters to be funny, and he doesn't understand why people think they are. But he's hilarious XD

and Polo, Inigo is played by Mandy Patinkin. and he's not as hot as Cary Elwes (Wesley), or at least his eyes. I've rewound the movie at least fifty times in a row just so I can see his eyes behind the mask at the beginning of the Sicilian rant. wub.gifwub.gif *melts*
Twitching
Unless I'm much mistaken, Cary Elwes also plays in Robin Hood: Men In Tights.

I've only seen it once but I'm so very sure it's him.

And Wallace Shawn is in the Clueless movie. I freaked out when I saw it last week because he was in it. I was literally screaming "IT'S VIZZINI!! OH MY GOD!!" Which kind of disturbed my family.

It's really my hidden talent, recognizing obscure actors. I can't name them, but I can tell you which other movies they're in.
acidteardrop
I can't beleive I forgot to add this!

PETER FALK IS THE BEST ACTOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!

sorry if that was annoying...btw I'm obsessed with Columbo...so when I saw the grandfather for the first time I screamed "HOLY S--T IT"S PETER FALK!"

I got some odd looks, since nobody knows who that is tongue.gif
Sir Psycho Sexy
you know you're a geek when you have a thread which turns into a competition to out geek each other
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 30 2004, 02:28 AM)
you know you're a geek when you have a thread which turns into a competition to out geek each other

We had one before - remember the Geek Appreciation club thread in Daft? Heading by {Gothic Angel}?
MistressAlti
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Apr 30 2004, 11:25 AM)
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Apr 30 2004, 02:28 AM)

We had one before - remember the Geek Appreciation club thread in Daft? Heading by {Gothic Angel}?

You mean, you know you're a geek when you remember old geek-off competitions from the past? So sad... laugh.gif

Anyway, on a geeky note... I'M DONE WITH PHYSICS YAY ME YAY YAY YAY biggrin.gif

And, to boost my geekiness factor... I'm currently listening to Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science". That makes me infinitely geekier than ANY OF YOU COMBINED.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (EvilSpoon @ Apr 25 2004, 05:05 PM)
My friend acctually did that. Instead of laughing he was like "lol! That's funny!" .... Everybody stared at him then we laughed and he hadn't realized what he did for a bit.

I can't say I've said or done anything, but I've thought it!

Lmao.. my friend is s total freak for that. She ALWAYS says "lol".

Incidentally

What about the ROUS's?
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I dont believe they exi- *thump*

XD XD XD XD XD
Polocrunch
QUOTE (acidteardrop @ Apr 29 2004, 11:15 PM)
and Polo, Inigo is played by Mandy Patinkin. and he's not as hot as Cary Elwes (Wesley)

I meant that second guy, Elwes. Yeah, he's the hot one. The Inigo guy ain't so great.
acidteardrop
yay Polo! Aren't his eyes to DIE for? *swoons* wub.gif

Prince Humperdinck: Surrender!
Wesley: You mean you wish to surrender to me? very well, I accept

XDXDXD one of my favorite lines. I use it on NWN a lot, in duels.

also...I use the word "enhebriated" a lot. The line where Peter Falk is reading, after Inigo is enhebriated in the theives forest, and Fezzik (Andre the Giant....RIP sad.gif ) is reviving him.
Polocrunch
Uhh... sure... eyes. I certainly wasn't thinking solely about his toned body. Oh no.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Apr 30 2004, 05:36 PM)
You mean, you know you're a geek when you remember old geek-off competitions from the past? So sad... laugh.gif

You know you're a geek when the posts you have made beginning with the words "You know you're a geek when..." exceed double figures.
Mata
Mandy Patinkin (which is really one of the worst names I've heard of for a man) has really improved with age, here's a pic of him now

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/newsima...3/3979717_1.jpg
Patient #212
QUOTE (Mata @ Apr 30 2004, 07:08 PM)
Mandy Patinkin (which is really one of the worst names I've heard of for a man) has really improved with age, here's a pic of him now

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/newsima...3/3979717_1.jpg

Wow... I hardly recognize him! That's a great pic though...

*Sigh* Cary Elwes. *Sigh* Hmm... I'll have to go watch Princess Bride now specifically to look at his eyes. I hadn't really noticed them before.

You know you're a geek when you've read the book The Princess Bride multiple times and annoy your friends by occasionally pausing the movie to commentate on the differences between the movie and the book after each significant scene.
Righteous
You know you're a geek when you've memorized every line of Reservoir Dogs and talk about it so much that your friends don't have to see it to experience it and you have your girlfriend download the script after watching it once.

You know you're a geek when you sit back with your friends and laugh at eachother while watching home movies from when they were kids.

You know you're a geek when you make fun of others for laughing at their geekiness. biggrin.gif
spiffilicious05
You know you're a geek when you've memorized every line of Reservoir Dogs and talk about it so much that your friends don't have to see it to experience it and you have your girlfriend download the script after watching it once.

heyyy!!! lol

you know you're a geek when you start pointing out ppl in another school's yr book that you claim go to your school rolleyes.gif
acidteardrop
you certainly know you're a geek when you are excited that your thread got as many views as the "ask Jonman" thread got posts tongue.gif laugh.gif

yeah...anyways

nice pic, Mata. He certainly does look a trifle better...though, uhh, a little old for me rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

I agree, Polo, but you don't get to see too much of Cary's body in the movie. The ripped costume he wore after the fire swamp was covered in blood, so you couldn't really see much.

Although, when he was in the pit of despair having his wounds dressed by the albino I was having orgasms rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

@Missy: you know you're a geek when you keep trying to prove your geek dominance (how much geekier you are than everyone else combined)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.