Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prefered Protection?
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mutilation
I can't be bothered to list the types so you will have to say what you use hehehe!
CommieBastard
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the condom.

Just had to get that out. Seriously, I detest the vile thing. It's like going to an expensive French restaurant, then covering your tongue with cellophane before eating. Maybe I'm using the wrong brand or something, maybe I'm just not particularly sensitive, but I can't feel a damn thing through it. Bah!
{Gothic Angel}
Condoms all the way!

Commie: Well us girls hate hate hate hate hate hate hate! the pill! (well, all the girls I've talked to anyway). It makes you throw up, you get *the* worst stomach cramps, headaches and it doesnt give any protection against STI's. By the time youve taken the damn thing you dont actually feel like having sex anymore.

I know there are other methods, but those 2 are by far and away the most common and easily accessible.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Condoms.

The pill can do ALL sorts of weird things to your body.

And Commie - I hate it when men say that. It's like an excuse they use just so they don't have to wear one and I've heard it a million times. It's almost as bad as saying that they find them constrictive (I'm sorry, condoms stretch and NO ONE is THAT big).
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 2 2004, 09:54 AM)
(I'm sorry, condoms stretch and NO ONE is THAT big).

You can streatch a small condom over a mini. My mate was boasting that he used large ones. I couldn't stop laughing biggrin.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 2 2004, 10:54 AM)
And Commie - I hate it when men say that. It's like an excuse they use just so they don't have to wear one and I've heard it a million times. It's almost as bad as saying that they find them constrictive (I'm sorry, condoms stretch and NO ONE is THAT big).

I do still wear it, I'm not stupid. Doesn't mean I have to like it. You're not the ones who have to cover the most sensitive part of your bodies with latex...
leopold
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jun 2 2004, 10:18 AM)
You're not the ones who have to cover the most sensitive part of your bodies with latex...

Granted - but I know that I'd rather put the ole' raincoat on my old chap than take a pill that tinkers with my hormones and makes me moody, depressed, agressive and gain weight, not to mention the potential to be rendered infertile and the scary chance of *ulp* impotence ohmy.gif . And I'm sure most women would agree with me on that one.

I normally use Durex Elite, they feel just fine and dandy on me - a tad less sensitive than bareback, but not much. I think if you're losing sensation, Sean, then you should check to make sure the condom is tight on your little buddy before you start...
Phyllis
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 2 2004, 01:54 AM)
The pill can do ALL sorts of weird things to your body.

And Commie - I hate it when men say that.  It's like an excuse they use just so they don't have to wear one and I've heard it a million times.  It's almost as bad as saying that they find them constrictive (I'm sorry, condoms stretch and NO ONE is THAT big).

Boy howdy! When I first started the pill, I had such horrible, horrible cramps...it's supposed to lessen them, though. Maybe for some women..but pah! Not for me! That probably should have tipped me off that it wasn't the best choice for me, cause about 2 months later it landed me in the hospital with a blood clot in my lung (which most everyone already knows, but meh..lol). Of course, I should point out, I'm the exception. That doesn't happen to many women...especially ones who are (like me) in their early 20s and nonsmokers. Yay me for being abnormal!

Oh and with the condom thing...lmfao. I knew this one couple once who met online, then met in real life. They then told everyone online that they didn't have sex in real life because he was too big for the condoms. Yeahhh. Right. I can fit one over my arm (I don't remember how I acquired this bit of information). If he's bigger than my arm, she should feel fortunate that he couldn't fit in them! laugh.gif I seriously doubt that there is anyone who isn't in the Guiness Book of World Records who can't fit into a condom.

Aaaanyway. I don't particularly like condoms myself, but that's because I'm a little sensitive to latex. I can't get bras or anything with exposed elastic either or it gives me a bit of a rash. Nothing serious -- not like some people's deathly allergies to the stuff...it just irritates me a little. And I'm married, and we've both been tested, so we don't have to use them. Even though I have a bucket full. They're all rainbow colored too...very festive. I could be a condom fairy...spreading joy and colorful condoms throughout the world! (I am in such an odd mood this morning)

A friend of mine swears by the shot, because she barely gets a period at all while on it..but heeehhh. It makes you gain weight and has emotional side effects, so no thank you. Personally I go with Ortho Options Conceptrol -- which is a contraceptive gel that can be used with a condom or alone. It's worked great so far (which has been about 4 years, with that brief break awhile ago when I went on the pill), and has no hormonal side effects..wheee. Plus, I get it for free. happy.gif
Ashbless
Add possible blood clots - chance of heart attack or stroke - written on the pills little, little print of side effects.
That being said when appropriate I do get myself onto the pill. As a back up precaution to condoms.
Mata
There are loads of types of pill, some work better for some people than others, if you get really nasty side-effects with the one you're on then try asking your doctor for something else. Sues is on the pill and she has no problems with it at all.

I've used condoms a lot in the past, they're okay, they're just a bit fiddly and I always end up worrying that it's split, when in fact it's just lady muscles moving about (er... sorry, that might've been a bit too much detail).

If you're sensitive to latex you can get PVC based ones, there's a brand called Avanti that do these. If it is an allergy you may even be able to get them on prescription from your doctor (in the UK), which is great because they do cost quite a lot. They do have a benefit that they are thinner and stronger than latex ones. I'm not positive but I think they might also be okay with oil based lube (which of course normal condoms are not... People do know that, right?).

Despite the good cases for other types of protection, the condom is the only one that can prevent the transfer of body fluids. The pill and the various gels can prevent pregnancy but there are STDs to be aware of too.

Has anyone else tried the female condoms? A previous partner and I had a go but ended up laughing too much to be able to test it! They're really quite odd.

Personally I'd be fine with being on a male pill, it would be nice to be able to share responsibility for birth-control.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 2 2004, 08:51 AM)
I'm not positive but I think they might also be okay with oil based lube (which of course normal condoms are not... People do know that, right?).

You'd be amazed at the lack of knowledge among many people who use condoms. I don't understand not reading the directions very thoroughly to make sure you're using the stuff correctly the first time you try it. For instance, the conceptrol I use says on the box that with correct and consistent use, it's effective 95% of the time (or somewhere around there) against pregnancy and some STDs (just the sort that you can clear up with a medication anyway, nothing that's incurable)...but with "typical" use, it's only 60% effective. Yeesh. I actually knew girls in high school who, for some reason, thought it was okay for one to loan the other her DIAPHRAGM. Aside from being rather icky, that's just a horrible idea, protection-wise...seeing as how diaphragms are fitted to the particular person's cervix. I don't understand how people come to the conclusion that such things are okay...do they just not pay attention to the doctor when they're explaining how the thing works? Or do they just skip Health class during the sex ed portion? It really does baffle me.

Meanwhile, I'd never actually heard of PVC condoms till now. When I've told people that I'm sensitive to latex in the past, they've always told me I could try sheepskin condoms...which don't seem a particularly good idea to me, what with the pores in them and all. If I wasn't married and couldn't find a PVC brand of condoms, I'd just use a latex condom and just deal with the irritation till I was in a long-term, monogamous relationship and we'd both had STD tests done. I'd rather have very minor irritation than a horrible disease.
CommieBastard
Yeah, condoms made from natural materials like sheepskin don't protect against HIV, the virus can fit through the pores (at least, that's what I've read, and from the ever-reliable OCRT).
acid_rain_child
Well, I count my self still in the realm of normality for being a virgin... only 14. But a lot of my friends hump like jack rabbits, and I make- MAKE them all use condoms, even the ones on the pill. I have total faith in most condoms, given they're used correctly and don't slip off or something. We had a box once, and tested a condom. A cigarette didn't burn through it, we stretched it across the room (until the lube made it slip from our hands, maybe too much information...) and tried to cut it with Lefty Scissors, which didn't work cause we're all right handed. Those are some sturdy little things! Condoms gets my vote, but the shot isn't so bad either, a couple of my friends have it.
monkey_called_narth
well... uhh... i dont use sperm... my hand doesnt have that capability....

other then that.... i dont have sex often enough for the pill to be worth while... so condom it is...
TigerLily013
Well recently I started using the needle known as Depo Provera. After the beginning side effects like irregular bleeding for the first little while, once that goes its great! I haven't even had that insanity yet. Plus there is chance you can lose or gain weight with it, but if you be careful its not hard at all. I cut back on snacking and i walk a bit more. When I get the money (hopefully before i blow up the government) I'll get some more fitness with working out at a gym.
Polocrunch
QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 2 2004, 04:51 PM)
Personally I'd be fine with being on a male pill, it would be nice to be able to share responsibility for birth-control.

I'd be half tempted to just get some sperm frozen and then get the snip. Problem there is that you still produce similar quanities of ejaculate, so the risk of STD infections remains.
Sir Psycho Sexy
funny, i'm just watching the "ever sperm is sacred" part of the meaning of life.

anyway, as much as i hate the bastard things, condoms are still the best option, even if they do split, and so on, whats more the morning after pill costs lots and they always talk to you like you were careless.....uhh...yeah, condoms, a necessary evil tongue.gif

....anyone notice how many women terry jones plays in monthy python?? unsure.gif
Mata
A bit more info about non-Latex condoms, yes these are fine with oil-based lubes, plus they have no flavour, which is a bonus:

http://www.blowfish.com/catalog/guides/Avanti.html

There seems to be a few people reporting issues with breakages, I used to be quite active in the promotion of sexual health at university and I've not heard of this. People will always be quick to judge new products as being inferior, from what I know the main drawback is that they cost noticably more than latex condoms, otherwise they're good clean fun smile.gif

I have to say, this article is the first time I've heard of people putting lube inside a condom, surely that makes it a lot more likely it would slip off which rather defeats the point of safe sex?
Righteous
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jun 2 2004, 02:05 AM)
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the condom.

I put up with it if the situation absolutly necessitates it. Otherwise I hate the god damned things.

Yeah, it would definately make things a lot easier on my side.

Meanwhile, I'd never actually heard of PVC condoms till now.

Neither have I until I read what you posted and the idea seems silly (they make pipes out of PVC; I've installed them in houses), but then when you factor in all parts of the equasion, it makes a lot of sense.

Trina's on the pill and we're as happy as pigs in poo. My last partner couldn't have kids because of some (thankfully curable) hormone problem, so there was no worry there either.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Polocrunch @ Jun 3 2004, 12:45 AM)
QUOTE (Mata @ Jun 2 2004, 04:51 PM)

I'd be half tempted to just get some sperm frozen and then get the snip. Problem there is that you still produce similar quanities of ejaculate, so the risk of STD infections remains.

Also note that even a vasectomy isn't 100%: I know of people who were conceived after their fathers underwent the operation, I believe one of our forumites is such a person.
porcelainwarrior
Personally I've only ever used the Pill as contraception. Which is probably very very stupid but I've only had one partner and I've been with him for nine months. He's circumsised so doesn't like condoms, again for the whole sensitivity thing, and I've never pushed the issue. I'm not pregnant or infected so all is good...right...?

Oooh...talking about being together nine months, I turned round to him and commented on the fact that if he'd knocked me up the first night we met (drunken, unprotected deflowering) I'd probably be in labour instead of at a party. It didn't go down too well. I didn't know he could go that pale :S
Fallen Element
lol, you could be birthing right now! hee hee hee...i can only imagine robert and his paleness...the thought of babies coming from you is funny! funny i say!

condoms for me...most of the time anyway...only ever had one encounter when i didn't use condoms...but it was ok...i couldn't get him pregnant...but generally i use condoms...

Fal xXx
gothictheysay

Wow, that's something you don't hear very often.

Okay, I've read all the posts, and I don't plan on having intercourse for YEARS, but now I'm all worried! WHAT IN THE BLOODY HECK DO I DO IF I DON'T WANT STDS OR A BABY?! WITHOUT DYING OF SIDE EFFECTS!

Ehh, I'm a little paranoid. And anxious and shifty. ph34r.gif
TigerLily013
Well obviously the key to good birth control in my opinion is both partners use SOMETHING! When Jon was down, I got spermcide from the health clinic to use so we both had something (yes he had a condom(s)).

He's got the condoms and I now have the needle I get every 3 months. Its alright when one person is using somethign but you are even more safer if both partners do. We both talked about it and thought that was the best method since we're sexually active.
Righteous
QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Jun 3 2004, 06:48 AM)
Oooh...talking about being together nine months, I turned round to him and commented on the fact that if he'd knocked me up the first night we met (drunken, unprotected deflowering) I'd probably be in labour instead of at a party. It didn't go down too well. I didn't know he could go that pale :S

It's be interesting to have little porcilettes running around.

my biggest fear right now is Spiff getting pregnant, simply because I know I'd work my ass off for her while putting a lot of other things on the backburner which I'm not really ready to do. Jeez. Those "every sperm is sacred" folks apparently were never horny teenagers with a lot to lose.
Tigersong
Meh. Condoms are fine for me, never really noticed much of a decrease in sensitivity with them. Perhaps try a new brand?

I'm all for the use of a back-up method of contraception. If each partner uses one method (ie. pill for the girls, condom for the boys), your chances of pregnancy drop dramatically. And unless you're in a very stable long term monogamous relationship you should be using condoms every time regardless of whether or not other methods of protection are being used.

[Edit: This public service announcement made possible by the Concerned Children's Advertisers... biggrin.gif )
WeeJ
I take the pill and I've never had a single problem with it. I coudn't come off it now as I used to suffer when I had my period. Now, I'm nice and regular and its a lot less painful smile.gif
Righteous
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jun 4 2004, 10:25 AM)
I take the pill and I've never had a single problem with it. I coudn't come off it now as I used to suffer when I had my period. Now, I'm nice and regular and its a lot less painful smile.gif

That's actually happened to a lot of my friends. My friend Meghan would bleed for seven to ten days at a time. The same thing happened to her wife so they're both on the pill (which also doubles as a hilarious joke).

When my friend Liz got on it (for the same reasons), all of a sudden it was her best friend. She's in a monogamist relationship now so I can only imagine...
Mutilation
@gothic: If you're really that worried, use 3 condoms at one time. Extra thick protection!

I use the condom because of the AIDS etc, especially with my anal sex.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jun 4 2004, 02:27 AM)
WHAT IN THE BLOODY HECK DO I DO IF I DON'T WANT STDS OR A BABY?! WITHOUT DYING OF SIDE EFFECTS!

Easy. Be in a monogamous relationship, both get tested for STDs, and have a hysterectomy. A winner is you!
Righteous
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jun 6 2004, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jun 4 2004, 02:27 AM)
WHAT IN THE BLOODY HECK DO I DO IF I DON'T WANT STDS OR A BABY?! WITHOUT DYING OF SIDE EFFECTS!

Easy. Be in a monogamous relationship, both get tested for STDs, and have a hysterectomy. A winner is you!

Makes sense to me there, amigo.
acid_rain_child
You were setting yourself up for that one, gothic, honey.
gothictheysay
I just realized that.

See, I'm paranoid just thinking about the future and having sex! which may guarantee my virginity for a long, long time... blink.gif
Righteous
DOn't jump into it. I became sexually active less than a year ago. I'm glad I waited. Don't just jump into it. you'll thank yourself.
TigerLily013
QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 6 2004, 06:22 PM)
DOn't jump into it. I became sexually active less than a year ago. I'm glad I waited. Don't just jump into it. you'll thank yourself.

Amen there brother, I was the same almost a year ago this August. So yes, the right person that you can share your life with is the best way to go. Paranoia never helped anyone.
acid_rain_child
I wouldn't say you should have to wait til you're married or until you're old and gray. Just be well informed, and well protected. Protection from both sides is a great way to be almost 100% (pill+condom etc.). I'm not saying every 12 year old should be sexually active just because they have protection, though. Make sure it's something you want to do, that you're ready to do, and not something you're being forced to do.
mooooooooooopo
Apparently over here (UK) they have decided to teach kids about oral sex as an alternative, in order to reduce teen pregnancy rates. Is it just me or is that an insane idea? Discuss.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Insanity -defianatly. But it would take too long for me to explain right now.

*shrug*
Phyllis
Huh. I dunno how I feel about that, really. I hope they're also teaching them that you still need protection...even with girls. =/

I know quite a few people who, in high school, for some reason thought you couldn't get an STD through oral sex.

I also hope they aren't sort of...making it seem like it's not as big of a deal as sex.

Hmm, did that make sense?
Righteous
It is good to be well informed about all that. I could have lost it at an alarmingly young age like some people I know. My brother Tim lost it at fifteen to Marissa aka the group slut. Rick, on the other hand, lost it to Candious whom, chances are, he's gonna marry. I lost it to my best friend so I'm good.

"Reduce Teen Pregnancy! Smoke Man-Pole!" I can see the posters already. dry.gif

Schools in the States push abstainence. Oral sex is seen as the same as regular sex in the eyes of the schools. All the sex ed crap going around keeps rubbers out of ready availability. You can still get them at the health clinic.

And what's wrong with sex ed? Where do you expect kids to learn this crap, their parents?
Sir Maxerpopple
@gothic: If you're really that worried, use 3 condoms at one time. Extra thick protection!
Not good, creates internal friction and makes a rip more likely. Some liberal-minded schools are moving from abstinence to safe sex. For example my school is one of the first to have a condom availability program.
Righteous
My high school stressed abstainence to the furthest extent possible. I got the condom for my first time from my brother. The concept of safe sex is far beyond contemplation in this town. No wonder so many chicks were pregnant in my school...
gothictheysay
I definitely would not jump in - I know that for sure.

I was talking with my friends about it - "What! You don't have sex 'till you're MARRIED!" It's insane how much they push abstinence. Hammer it in. It's probably something I'll end up doing...but I am sick of how they shove it in your face. dry.gif meh. that's just me.
Mata
I'm glad that other people knew about the 'multiple condoms at once = increased risk of breaking'.

There has been a policy in the UK to try and make condoms easier for teenagers to get, but instead of dropping the teen pregnancy rates it appears to have increased them. People aren't sure why, it's either that people are using condoms incorrectly, or they are getting into sex at an earlier age than they would have done other and then not bothering with condoms all the time.
PsychWardMike
People aren't sure why, it's either that people are using condoms incorrectly, or they are getting into sex at an earlier age than they would have done other and then not bothering with condoms all the time.

I just get the image of people with condoms in their ears and on their nipples.

"Sweety, is this how they work?"
MistressAlti
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jun 6 2004, 09:40 PM)

Surely we have more faith in humanity than that... don't we? I mean, ears and nipples aren't even CLOSE to the right shape... blink.gif
LoLo
It could become a new fashion trend. Remember when Lisa Left Eye from TLC wore one in her glasses?

Sorry I know that's off topic. I can't think of anything to say though that hasn't already been said.

My personal protection is a vibrator. No std no pregnancy. laugh.gif
Righteous
QUOTE (LoLo @ Jun 6 2004, 11:35 PM)
My personal protection is a vibrator.  No std no pregnancy.  laugh.gif

Makes sense to me. For eighteen years I had my left hand.
Artemisia
QUOTE (PsychWardMike @ Jun 6 2004, 09:40 PM)

Surely we have more faith in humanity than that... don't we? I mean, ears and nipples aren't even CLOSE to the right shape... 

porcelainwarrior
QUOTE (Righteous @ Jun 4 2004, 05:10 AM)
It's be interesting to have little porcilettes running around.

It'd be damn scary to have little porcilettes running around, for a start they'd get lost a lot (damn lack of directional skills), also there'd be a whole new generation of people who can't use anode sticks on a console pad (damn deus X two (is that even the right name?))

[/spam]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.