Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Is Geekier
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
jicama
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jun 9 2004, 11:22 PM)
QUOTE (jicama @ Jun 9 2004, 07:49 AM)
yes.  yes they do.  i'm a girl and i'm rather fond of ad&d.  also, it was my mom that taught my brother and i how to roll a character.  she was also the oe that taught us that 50 feet of rope, a collapsible stick and a flint box are always handy things to have in your pack.  ...and that blowing on a horn that you find in a dungeon isn't a good idea, but that's another story.

Oh, dear. Was it the one that summons chaotic evil warriors? I wish people wouldn't just piss around with things they find in dungeons, they keep getting killed. They shouldn't look into mirrors, either. Or read scrolls that suspicious NPCs give them that just might, just might have a Symbol of Death on them.

Me? A sadistic Dungeon Master? Nooo...

it was the horn of collapsing actually. it makes the entire dungeon fall on your head, squashing you like a wee bity bug.

and if you find a grand (yet deserted) hall never NEVER sit in the throne! that's when the big gargoyle comes to life and kills you for your disrespect! and the one time that you forget to check for traps is the one time that a bolt will shoot out and hit you in the shoulder!

"You should know better than to pick up a duck in a dungeon."
- from Munchkin, a card game that parodies D&D and other tabletops, when you pick up the card entitled "Duck of Doom."

'tis a good card, but the "duck of many things" rules!
{Gothic Angel}
Munchkin rules! biggrin.gif Kneepads of allure 4tehwin! biggrin.gif

*ahem*

Picking up a deck of many things at 4th level is never a gd idea.
Kurruskita
I would definetly date someone who could speak elvish. It sounds sooooo sexy indeed... rolleyes.gif

He could repeat his shopping list in elvish... I'd probably melt anyway tongue.gif
PsychWardMike
Yeah. Klingon's pretty geeky. It doesn't even sound cool... unlike elvish.
Greeneyes
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jun 8 2004, 08:50 PM)
Oi! Many girls including me play D&D.

She's right you know. It says in the AD&D players guide:

"D&D players, happily, come in all shapes and sizes, and even a fair number of women are counted among those who regularly play the game"

Sorry it's a bit late, but I only just found it. The moral of this story? Don't argue with women.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Jun 14 2004, 04:22 PM)
The moral of this story? Don't argue with women.

You are learning fast, my young Padwan tongue.gif
the lil' pie fairy
humm...klingon has to get my vote as geekier.
it's true, elvish does sound a LOT more beautiful. it's less guttural, if that's the right word. huh.gif
in fact, very similar respectively to spanish and german...spanish flows kinda, but german...urgh. don't get me wrong, it'd be great to speak it, but it sounds so harsh sometimes. i'm a fan of the soft flowy languages.
if i found a guy that could speak some elvish...especially if he had a nice voice...ooooo wink.gif biggrin.gif

that's it. i'm off to find a guy that speaks elvish!

*runs post-haste*
{Gothic Angel}
Just dont steal mine- Im teaching him tongue.gif

You ever heard Bruce Dickinson sing? He sings like that... hes got an awesome voice *melts*
Jaq
I think they're both equally geeky in slightly different ways. There are different subspecies of geek; the fantasy geek who might speak elvish, and the sci fi geek who may speak Klingon being only two kinds. Speaking Klingon compared to speaking elvish would be like comparing apples and oranges. There's no comparison, they're based on two different sub sub cultures, sci fi geekism and fantasy geekism. I think elvish is "prettier" but Klingon has a certain punch to it. You would never teach your dog commands in elvish but I can see some trekkies teaching their dog how to sit and stay in Klingon just because it's such a forceful language.

Anyways, like Tigersong said, geek is the new cool and obscurity is the new fame. I'm a geek and dang proud of it.

I think Jicama is uber cool with a small c and I challenge anyone who disagrees with me to see her collection of Kindertoys and witness her "exercising demons" sculpture to name but a few things about her that makes her so dang small c cool.
Alaric
Elven is cool.. Klingon is just old school Treky
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jun 17 2004, 06:12 AM)
I think Jicama is uber cool with a small c and I challenge anyone who disagrees with me to see her collection of Kindertoys and witness her "exercising demons" sculpture to name but a few things about her that makes her so dang small c cool.

What's the difference between Cool and cool?
Jaq
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jun 17 2004, 01:12 AM)

What's the difference between Cool and cool?

Cool is the definition of cool that you had when you were 13. All of the people in the 'popular' group that no one actually liked, but they all feared beccause they were so confident and always seemed to have the "right" clothes and the "right" music. These Cool people often were mean to the less Cool. Some modern day examples of Cool people include Brittany Spears, Jessica Simpson, Madonna, and Nick Carter

cool on the other hand is the thing which is outside of the mainstream. It is everything that you were told was not cool when you were 13. Anything somewhat odd or what some people might consider geeky is small c cool. Even though the mainstream might not think it's cool these people pursue their interests anyways and have a confidence about themselves examples of cool include Monty Python, Star Trek, Modest Mouse, Matazone, and the obsessive collection of Kinder Toys

hopefully that clears things up, but I wouldn't be surprised if I muddied the waters even more...
Feyliya
Where's the option "slap me, I know both"?

Hehehe...I play D&D. I was DM, in fact! biggrin.gif
Pab
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jun 18 2004, 07:14 AM)
Cool is the definition of ...
cool on the other hand is the ...

Jaq just invents this stuff up as she goes along. She is kool, small k, which is somebody who'll bulshit an answer to any question and look good whilst doing it, as opposed to Kool, which is a thing between grammar nazis. Then there is 'qool', 'khoul', c00l and ku*l , but thats another story ...

oh, and Brittany Spears, as you may have guessed, is the famous folk-group from northern France who do a number called 'the spice-rack' which is really quite alarming ...
jicama

aw! thanks jaq! i don't care what all the others say about you, i like ya! biggrin.gif

hopefully that clears things up, but I wouldn't be surprised if I muddied the waters even more...

no, you got it right. Cool is mainstream fad stuff, cool is geeky cult classic stuff.
EvilSpork
Being a Star Trek geek is worse than knowing Elven wink.gif

Want to know what's wierd? I've never seen an entire Star Trek movie.
Fandangohead676
i said both are equally geeky beacuse im a major trekkie and im sure if i knew elven i would speak it, now my friend sitting next to me(everybody say hi to kala)
said slap me cuz i dont kno what either of them are.
Jaq
QUOTE (Pab @ Jun 19 2004, 12:29 AM)
QUOTE (Jaq @ Jun 18 2004, 07:14 AM)

Cool is the definition of ...
cool on the other hand is the ...

Jaq just invents this stuff up as she goes along. She is kool, small k, which is somebody who'll bulshit an answer to any question and look good whilst doing it, as opposed to Kool, which is a thing between grammar nazis. Then there is 'qool', 'khoul', c00l and ku*l , but thats another story ...

oh, and Brittany Spears, as you may have guessed, is the famous folk-group from northern France who do a number called 'the spice-rack' which is really quite alarming ...

well at least you didn't call me 'kewl'

*shudder*
Dolty McDaft
QUOTE (Oni Usagi @ Jun 5 2004, 05:50 AM)
I think Klingon is a bit more geeky, simply because elves are (slightly) more mainstream.  Also because Elves good guys where Klingons are generally bad guys (I think).

No, I think it's because of the name. Not only are Klingons from Star Trek, that's also a name for the nasty toilet paper that gets stuck to your butt. Klingons are also ugly. Elven (I think) sounds prettier, and they are from Lord of the Rings, and a whole lot of other good books. Klingons are in nein books. You can be obsessed in Lord of the Rings enough to learn the language, because pretty much everybody is, but someone who is obsessed with Star Trek is either the biggest geek in the world, or over 40 and still live with their mother.

I think I made my point.
El Nino
QUOTE (Cath @ Jun 5 2004, 10:23 AM)
I said both were equally geekie but in my books that's not a bad thing as I seem to find geeks sexy anyway! tongue.gif

Do you still find geeks sexy Cath?
Xkitsurabamix
In the school bathroom, somebody graffiti-ed the wall in Elvish.
(it's Elvish, by the way...)
and i believe it was the geekiest thing i have ever seen.

Who graffities in Elvish?
mooooooooooopo
Elves who want to look rebellious? tongue.gif

</spam>
Feyliya
You forgot "speaking both", you PetaQ!
SPEAKERfortheLOST
elvish rocks...

besides if anyone wants the elvish fonts give me a pm and you shall recieve them....

One ring to rule you all!
Xeno
I'm learning Elvish but mostly just because I'm a poet and I like the way the language sounds read aloud. Those fonts sound great, I'll send a pm in a sec. I prefer Elvish because Tolkienese Elves are angelic and otherworldly. Klingon just doesn't have that appeal. The movies ruined the Elves a little for me (still loved them) because I have a hard time picturing the elves like I used to. Liv Tyler is the only one who looks (IMHO) otherworldly in most of her scenes.
DoRmAnt
To speak klingon or not to speak klingon...That is the question.

But to speak elven is incredibly sexy. It's soft and delicate like French.

I always tend to see elven as a more feminine and klingon as a burly masculine. In terms of the sounds in themselves.
beleraphon
Klingon is going to be better for swearing in, Elvish for a more subtle insult.

Both score high on the geek-o-meter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.