Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official Grammar Nazi Club.
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Mutilation
Everyone seems to be calling themselves Grammar Nazi, so why don't we all make an official club! It's for people who try to spell and punctuate properly when they type. So just put Official Grammar or Grammer Nazi in your sig and join the club!
CommieBastard
Sieg Heil!
gothictheysay
First of all, there should be no punctuation in the title of the thread. It's a title.

Everyone seems to be calling themselves Grammar Nazi, so why don't we all make an official club!

That should be a question mark.

It's for people who try to spell and punctuate properly when they type. So just put Official Grammar or Grammer Nazi in your sig and join the club!

Did you just type "Grammer"? Tell me that was a mistake. Oh Mutilation, why have you forsaken me?

...Do I get in? biggrin.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jun 16 2004, 05:29 PM)
...Do I get in? biggrin.gif

Ja, mein Liebling, I am sinking zat you are being in our little Partei.

ZER REICH VILL LAST TEN ZOUSAND YEARS!!!
Forever Unknown
So just put Official Grammar or Grammer Nazi in your sig and join the club!

Ooh! Confuzzled grammar!

Oi fink me spaling nd punctution ish briliantt!!!!! Terefour u suld let my inn your grup. if you dunt i wll eat your chilldrun.

It took me ten minutes to write that. How incredibly depressing.
Kamaradi
How can I become a member of this club?
Mutilation
You just do what it says, put in in your sig (or title if you can do that here) Your grammar seems alright. And I put Grammer because you get places like Where Commie Grew Up Grammer School that confuses me blink.gif

We haven't got a symbol yet, if anyone wants to make one (no swastika please, even though it's for good purposes it still shouldn't be used).

Or even better, a competition!
{Gothic Angel}
Ich will einen "Grammer Nazi" bekommen! Sie sinden sehr leuchtend! Aber ist meine Grammatik gut genug? tongue.gif
karismaklysm
Can I be in the club even if I abuse the priveleges of the powerful ellipsis?
Generally, I express myself correctly. But, I love me some...................
Yeah... You know...
Aislinn Faye
I've been called a grammer Nazi before. But when it comes to typing, I kinda do the "err.. yeah.. uh..oh yeah!!". Do the typing what you think thing. I'm only a grammer Nazi when it comes to double negatives and the horrible southern dialect. -=shudders=- Like "ya'll", I die every time I hear that. I would put it on my sig, but, I don't know how. I am sad, I'll have Ri teach me tongue.gif
franken-sarah
Ich bin ein grammar nazi!! *goose steps around the forum*

Actually, can I be a grandma nazi and just kinda wobble around the forum talking to myself??? Can I type "kinda" if I'm a grammar nazi?? blink.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (franken-sarah @ Jun 18 2004, 08:23 PM)
... nazi!!...

...myself???...nazi??

It's just possible that you picked the wrong thread to use repetitive question marks in. laugh.gif
franken-sarah
Well, I did say I would prefer to be a grandma nazi, so I'm using dementia as my excuse for lapsing into a bout of poor punctuation. (omits exclaimation mark) wink.gif
gothictheysay
priveleges

dry.gif SHOOT ME! It's "privileges". Well, don't shoot me - it is a hard word. tongue.gif

Do the typing what you think thing.

That one is a fragment.

Like "ya'll", I die every time I hear that.

Can she do this? Is that first part an introductory element? Hmm...

(omits exclaimation mark)

I suggest saying "exclamation" there instead. Don't forget to capitalize! tongue.gif

I need a new hobby or something. unsure.gif
Forever Unknown
priveleges

SHOOT ME! It's "privileges". Well, don't shoot me - it is a hard word.

Do the typing what you think thing. 

That one is a fragment.

Like "ya'll", I die every time I hear that.

Can she do this? Is that first part an introductory element? Hmm...

(omits exclaimation mark) 

I suggest saying "exclamation" there instead. Don't forget to capitalize!

I need a new hobby or something. 

You bloody Grammar Nazi! It disgusts me!

Oh. No. Wait. *checks thread*

I mean... Uh... Well done.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Jun 23 2004, 08:39 AM)
You bloody Grammar Nazi! It disgusts me!

Oh. No. Wait. *checks thread*

I mean... Uh... Well done.

Did I just see some elipses? Tut tut.
Dolty McDaft
Good god.
I'm sorry, that's all I have to say about you people.
I AM NOT A GRAMMAR NAZI!
Forever Unknown
Did I just see some elipses? Tut tut.

I'm an elipses whore, I swear. I find it adds a really nice tone and makes a sentence seem a little more like real speech. It can convey a sense of hesitation or thoughtfulness. I use them to a ridiculous level, just like I do with commas.

I certainly have an... unusual... sense of grammar, but I'm still a Fascist about it!
hinsley
Ha! I never try to use proper grammar on the internet because im lazy, but i shall try from now on, well for a while anyway. tongue.gif
So... Do i get in?
(And yes i know, too many new paragraphs and i used an ellipses jsut then but it was howi was expessing a break in the sentance, and i know you're not supposed to put them in because i'm not saying it and all but i was in my head so it called for one on my side of the screen. tongue.gif)
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Jun 23 2004, 04:52 PM)
I'm an elipses whore, I swear. I find it adds a really nice tone and makes a sentence seem a little more like real speech. It can convey a sense of hesitation or thoughtfulness. I use them to a ridiculous level, just like I do with commas.

I agree with that. I don't usually pick at grammar (as far as I know), but in this thread I just think it's appropriate and as I have nothing else to do, it provides brief moments of, erm, stuff to do. I also agree about the elipsis thing (note spelling: 'elipses' is plural laugh.gif ), and I use them quite a lot. But I'm bored. Sorry.
Forever Unknown
(note spelling: 'elipses' is plural  )

Oops. Um... The pixies made me do it.

And don't worry, I take all Grammar Nazi-ism with a pinch of salt.

Shouldn't that be a capital after the :?
Greeneyes
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Jun 23 2004, 08:34 PM)
Shouldn't that be a capital after the :?

Typo.

Just joking. I wasn't sure as I was referring to something I'd already said. But if you're right, then touch.
Forever Unknown
Haha!

It's very possible I could be wrong. I'm often wrong. You get used to it, actually.
deranged_ferret
This thread scares me. I mean, in general, I conform to the wishes of the grammar Nazis; I did just check on dictionary.com to see if that was the correct pluralization of Nazi, I used google to spell check 'pluralization' (which I got wrong the first time round - my spelling sucks) and I always double check my posts for spelling and grammar mistakes. However I like to use elipses, 'kinda' and brackets within brackets (oohh... and multiple question and exclamation marks!!!), so I wouldn't exactly call myself a grammar Nazi. I am a kinda annoyed about 'i' capitalization (I mean 'I'm' takes, what, point three more seconds than 'im'?) and StIcKy CaPs make me wince, but I wouldn't call myself obessive... unsure.gif do you think I'm obessesive? I'll leave it up to you guys to insult my spelling and grammar or accuse me of being anal-retentive (or both, there's a range of people on this forum, I'm sure I could get insulted about both). Anyway, I've been going on and on (and on and on) a bit, so I'll shut up.

Edit: If the grammar Nazis are gunna (I use that too tongue.gif) have a mascot, it should be Strong Bad, singing grammar Nazi extraordinaire! In my opinion anyway.

*cough* 'grammer' was never there, you were just imagining it and I did not just edit it out. ph34r.gif *cough*
acid_rain_child
Oh, my spelling is terrible. I find that I want to use big words that mean big things, but I don't know how to spell them, so I'm reduced to using 2 or 3 smaller words to convey one word. That's my main problem in all my writing--it's full of crap. I always over use words, or add in words that don't belong or aren't need. *Sigh* t'is the bane of my existence, as I am a writer and want to follow with a career in literature. I could've written this paragraph in about 3 sentences, but I have no skillz.
I agree with the things about capitalization you talked about. im sayin, MaKeS mE sIcK tOo.

But I'm not a grammar Nazi, things just piss me off when people don't take the time to write them correctly. When I want to say things like kinda, I do. Sorta, kinda, not really. Words like "kinda" that I use in every day speech I don't bother about in typing, because everyone knows what I mean.

Honey! You spelled grammar wrong at the end of your post! But I must say, you're not as anal as some people. In fact, since you're just about as anal as me, I'd say you're perfect.
Forever Unknown
My problem with bad grammar is simply that I read things precisely how they're written. So if someone uses contractions and such, it slows down my reading as well as how easy I find it to follow.

I tend not to use emoticons (or whatever they're called) either. That's just a force of habit. Rather than use a smilie or 'LOL' as a response to convey I'm amused, I'll use a 'Bwahahahahaha' instead. They length of this 'Bwahahahaha' usually indicated the level of my amusement. If it turns into a 'Bwahahahahahahahahahahffhsjdkghdsjkghfgffffggggghst', then I'm really tickled.

Although 'Bwahahahahahahahahahahffhsjdkghdsjkghfgffffggggghst' isn't particularly grammatically-friendly.
deranged_ferret
Wheeee! I'm perfect! *dances*
</spam>
spuglet
I love you people more and more every day.
I am the local grammar Nazi. In fact, I have become the proof-reader for all of my friends' essays because my rants about poor grammar are so famed.
It is not particularly the occasional mis-spelling, lack of commas or lack of capital letters that annoys me. (As an incredibly lazy person I do it myself often.) It is the constant use of these things that annoys me.
I have recently taken up the task of correcting poorly spelt MSN names. For example, right now, there is a person online whose name is 'LIFES A BITCH DEN U MARRY 1' I didn't know where to start.

So yes, once I can be bothered to change my sig., I shall be adding my grammar Nazi status.
gothictheysay
I actually may want to end up as an editor of something. A career dealing heavily with the language at least; maybe a journalist. But I love to edit, and I often correct others even when they speak... unsure.gif
artist.unknown
Oh, wie spass! I'm in. Could someone please aid me in my quest to interject 'ly' onto misplaced adjectives? Yes, people will hate you and possibly spit on you, but in the end they deserve it for thinking 'bad' can modify a verb.

Geek fact: The Transitive Vampire: the Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed (or something very near to that title) is the cleverest grammar book ever written. I will post excerpts when I get around to finding it. [\spam]
spuglet
Aha, Books! Has anyone read 'Eats, Shoots and Leaves'? It is a newish book on grammar. I haven't read it but apparently it's good.
gothictheysay
Yes, Spuglet. I have. It's great. Isn't there a thread about it in Issues?
eternallybored
peepol tooled I dat me shood b da Anne Frank uv tis Gramur Nazi dingy.

I dunno, this be confusing. Twould be mucheth 2 hard to keep this up all the timeth.
Forever Unknown
Quick! Let's kill them!

(So ironic that I typed 'Wuick' instead of 'quick' just then)

I mean, that's what we do, right? Right?

(Hehehe)
eternallybored
*runs away and hides in hole*
starflowah
I have a friend who's an aspiring author. I check all her stories for spelling/grammatical errors because she knows I'm totally anal about stuff like that.
I won't attack somebody for 'netspeak' (gr8 etc), but I shake my head sadly when it takes awhile for me to figure out what people are trying to say because they're too lazy to type properly.
So, I guess that makes me a closet Grammar Nazi.
I could use that in my sig. 'Closet Grammar Nazi', has a nice ring to it.
eternallybored
I guess I'm a hypocrite. I am also a writer. And I never spell wrong then. Dis si me redeemton!
starflowah
And what a lovely redeemton it is!
I am a writer as well, but I still get somebody to proofread everything, just in case I've missed something. So we help each other, I just happen to help more.
karismaklysm
As I actually have adult status,
*hangs head in shame*
I have a real job, and part of that job is to be the team proofreader. Clearly, I obtain much joy from this piece of my work day. So yeah, I guess I'm a real live grammar nazi.

Do I need to capitalize the title? Grammar Nazi?

Also, when I was in college, every freshman was forced to take a grammar test. About 75% of the students don't pass the first time. The trick to that is, you have to take the same English class over again. Needless to say, I scored high.

I also have issues with the internet's dumbing down of the world. Not the 'netspeak' that starflowah speaks of, but the subjects of spam emails have become one of my greater pet peeves.
*pause*
HA!
I was going to quote one, but they're all innapropriate.
artist.unknown
I'm an aspiring author as well, but I have disabled the grammar check on my computer (ha!). Normally only my spelling is a mess; this is due to some crap writing program the Powers that Be guinea pigged on my grade when I was a wee bairn. The gist of it was that we should be allowed to spell however we liked. Therefore, I never learnt properly and have been bitter ever since.

It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to scribble all over submissions to my crap mag because of their grammar. I will never be as cruel as PsychMike though. He isn't a grammar Nazi, he's a grammar SS. ^^;;

And yes, spug, there is a thread in issues.
eternallybored
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Jun 25 2004, 07:22 PM)
I'm an aspiring author as well, but I have disabled the grammar check on my computer (ha!).

I tried to disable the grammar check on my computer, but the damn thing underlined the stuff anyway, only I couldn't get rid of it! So I keep it on, and press "ignore" like every other sad, sad person that doesn't do it on purpose. (No offense to those that don't do it on purpose)
^%^$#&#($*$^%$#^! ~A"τħ≥W[7Ω7○4▲DN! Ghaah!
/spim
starflowah
I still have my grammar check enabled, I just ignore its green wavy lines everytime I type.
Take that, Microsoft Word! tongue.gif
gothictheysay
That thing is of absolutely no use.
starflowah
I know. Of all the features Word has to offer, that grammar check is a waste of time and money.
BURN IT!!! evil.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jun 29 2004, 04:13 AM)
That thing is of absolutely no use.

I think its usually set to formal writing, which is why it underlines almost everything in green, as there is usually a better way of stucturing sentences to make them sound more formal. It's quite clever, if anyone actually has any need to write like they know more than 2 types of fork.
eternallybored
My laptop has a tendancy to disconnect the I's K's ,'s and 8's, so I cant type until I shut it and slam it hard on somthing soft to jumble around the connections.

(otherwse type le ths. sn't ths annoyng? t psses me off.)

It's really sad when you're doing it right, but doing it wrong at the same time.
gothictheysay
Guy, I won't listen to you until you insert an apostrophe and get rid of the comma in the second sentence. wink.gif
gothictheysay
Bump.

I would just like everyone to know artist.unknown is prone to slip-ups and corrects bad sometimes.
artist.unknown
I would just like everyone to know artist.unknown is prone to slip-ups and corrects bad sometimes.

Oh, the abuse. *hangs head in shame* Well, Commie called "spicy" an adverb...Really! Its not all me. ^^
Artemisia
I'm such a grammar nazi. I feel the need to correct myself before someone else does. My poll should read "if a woman WERE president" instead of "if a woman WAS president," or maybe, to be clear, "if a woman was to become president." I'm a sad, sad person. Like Dobbie in Harry Potter 2 does, I'll go punish myself by ironing my hands. (Didn't anyone else find that the most disturbing point in the entire movie?)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.