Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Official Grammar Nazi Club.
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
gothictheysay
Oh, the abuse. *hangs head in shame* Well, Commie called "spicy" an adverb...Really! Its not all me. ^^

watches artist's head explode before mine does
Artemisia, I do the same thing. I re-read every post before I post it. And after I post it. And I still make mistakes. tongue.gif
Mutilation
So does this make me Hitler?

And we still don't have a logo, as Strong Bad is copyrighted by Videletrix.
artist.unknown
watches artist's head explode before mine does

Blast, so I don't get to watch you? ^^

The hard part about forcing people to use correct grammar is that it's about as interesting to study as it is to scoop out your eyes with sporks. Therefore, I propose I rehaul of all school systems in every English-speaking nation, using this book. These are sentences from The Well-Tempered Sentence: A Punctuation Handbook for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed.

Semicolon: Not only were we naked, crazed, and starving (and far from our warm little homes); we were without any good books.

Dash: Last night, as we slept together for the last time--where were you, anyway?

Comma: To get the rest of it off your chest, you would have to remove your shirt.

He remembered too late that vehicular proverb, People who drive in glass autos shouldn't have bones.

Should you die, I'd go mad so I could talk to you all the time.
gothictheysay
He remembered too late that vehicular proverb, People who drive in glass autos shouldn't have bones.

*etches in quote marks around the proverb* I don't like that comma, though. I think a dash would be nicer. But if it's right, it's right.
Mutilation
Or we could make sure at the age of four knew the sentence "Badgers baders badgers, badgers badgers badgers."
Pab
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Aug 23 2004, 12:23 PM)
Or we could make sure at the age of four knew the sentence "Badgers baders badgers, badgers badgers badgers."

Somehow this looks like a classic Grammar Nazi sentence. laugh.gif
TehRoxxorCOD
People have been calling me the grammar nazi for years. I'm in. happy.gif
Xkitsurabamix
E.A. Laney Highschool newspaper Copy editor, Kitsurabami, reporting for duty!

(I'm such a bitch when it comes to grammar, but i guess i have to be)

((Badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, mushrooom, mushroom!))
Mutilation
QUOTE (Pab @ Aug 23 2004, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Aug 23 2004, 12:23 PM)

Somehow this looks like a classic Grammar Nazi sentence. laugh.gif

How dare you mock the almight Spitler (that's spelling and Hitler)?!

And welcome to the ranks Xkitsurabamix and TehRoxxorCOD (for all the infidels, that means The Rocking Cod (type of fish) in english).
Snugglebum the Destroyer
(for all the infidels, that means The Rocking Cod (type of fish) in english).

Phew - it was a good thing that you were here to clarify that for me. I would have had an awful time trying to work that out otherwise.
DoRmAnt
First of all let me just say, "Bravo!", to all the Nazis out there.

All of you are the ones that interupt someone speaking with the correct grammar, aren't you? happy.gif

I am most likely older than most, if not all, the self-proclaimed "Grammar Nazis", and I can tell you that once you are in the workplace, having good grammar and spelling helps, but you'd be surprised how little most people know about the English language. And, there are so many who just don't care.

So enjoy your good grammar skills, and never lose them. You'll get the good job you apply for, and others won't because they will pale in comparison.

/old person rant end
Mutilation
*Uses the gas on Old Person*

He was rambling!
DoRmAnt
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Aug 25 2004, 11:29 AM)

He was rambling!

He?? blink.gif

Well excuuuuuse me. I guess I'm a man now.

*hmpf*
artist.unknown
QUOTE(Mutilation @ Aug 25 2004, 11:29 AM)

He was rambling!

HE?? 

Watch yer pronouns, Mutilation. *baps over head* Heheh.
gothictheysay
Watch your slip into other dialects, artist. blink.gif
eleraama
I would just like everyone to know artist.unknown is prone to slip-ups and corrects bad sometimes.

Oh, the abuse. *hangs head in shame* Well, Commie called "spicy" an adverb...Really! Its not all me. ^^

It's all right, ar.un dear. We all make mistakes (I'm sure thousands of people have seen my posts where I misspell something through poor typing skills). Just make sure you use parts of speech properLY.

*Starts the (Grammar Nazi) Special Adverb Enforcement Force*- SA for short happy.gif

(And yes, the repetition makes me happy. If there are too many complaints, we could become a squad.)

EDIT: I just realized there was a spelling error. Oh, woe is me...
artist.unknown
*Starts the (Grammar Nazi) Special Adverb Enforcement Force*- SA for short

Wheee huzzah! No, not SA--SAEF. Don't you know that all acronyms must be cheesy homonyms as well?

And just for gothic, the A could stand either for Adverb or Apostrophe. ^^

Badger badger badger...
gothictheysay
Thanks tongue.gif Or Special Adverb(Apostrophe) Force Enforcers? Now that's repetitive, but it does spell SAFE. Write your paper the SAFE grammar way. biggrin.gif
froggle-rock
Hmm, I was considering becoming a Grammar Nazi. I've decided against it: I like colloquialisms too much. I realise the club was set up to focus on grammer, however spelling seems to be a priority target here too.

In saying that, if I do make grammar boo's then please let me know.

What's the club's stance on onomatopoeia? -I've seen some about on this thread.
eleraama

boos. It's plural, not posessive. pLike enguins vs penguin's.
Mutilation
Well, the following words are acceptable:

SPANG!
WANG!

And everything else related to 1337.
froggle-rock

Oh bum! I really should of known that. laugh.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Sep 9 2004, 09:07 PM)
Oh bum! I really should of known that.  laugh.gif

Should of, or should have?

tongue.gif
froggle-rock
Double bum! -Even more of a reason as to why I shouldn't join this club. (Please let there be no gramatical errors here, at all.)

*walks away shaking head*
Polocrunch
Don't you mean grammatical?
karismaklysm

and yet, we let that go? pLike... hmmm.
Polocrunch
You know, I think we could turn this into a name-and-shame thread. Obviously to stop it turning into an online crucifixion session, we'd have to add some constructive criticism, but it could be fun!

Whaddyall say?
gothictheysay
That sounds like a good idea, you hick. tongue.gif "Whaddyall"? What kind of inhuman "word" is that?
Snugglebum the Destroyer
*BUMP*

As we've had an influx of newbies and some of them are in need of educating. wink.gif smile.gif
exceptional1709
It's strange thinking that I am one of those newbies. I like to think I'm fairly grammatical normally, but we shall see!
artist.unknown
Yes. The n00bs must be made aware that there are grammar nazis on the prowl. Even if we aren't empowered to do absolutely anything. But we can be quite scowly when provoked. *nods*
elphaba2
Is it still possible to join up? I have a large brown jumpsuit (emblazoned with commas and semicolons) sitting in my closet, at the ready.

I understand if I'm denied membership due to my relative noobness, but I don't often make punctuation or capitalization errors, and this jumpsuit really is quite spiffy. If only I knew where it came from. (wistful ommitance of ellipses)
I_am_the_best
Hoho, just out of interest.. I understand the whole 'apostrophe for missing letter' thing.. but what's with the possesive apostrophes.. I just don't get the deal with them...
gothictheysay
Which specific possessives are troubling you?

Edit: Ended a sentence with a preposition. *smacks forehead*
artist.unknown
Is it still possible to join up? I have a large brown jumpsuit (emblazoned with commas and semicolons) sitting in my closet, at the ready.

elphaba, if you agree to carry the torch of the stickler; to join us in little fits of grammatically induced frustration unhealthy to blood pressure and doing nobody any good; to contribute to our debates over the finer points of grammar that enlighten no-body but ourselves (those who were planning on following the rules anyway); and to nonetheless feel like you've done something (we're just not specific on what) to further the cause of the English language, we'll take you. (We're not choosy.) Go forth, and intimidate n00bs into proper capitalisation.
elphaba2
Wooo! I'm a Grammar Nazi! *throws commas in the air, much like confetti*
cait
I have actually skipped pages two through three because I am quite lazy, but this topic interests me nonetheless. Correcting the grammar of others is an addiction, and it kindles no satisfaction. I love it so. The best part is that I don't follow grammar very well myself. I do love to learn about it though. I love being corrected on my grammar. Most people get offended when I offer the same service. I like to offend. Can I join the club?

Edit: I've now read those two pages. I'm a good kid.
I_am_the_best
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jan 23 2005, 07:49 PM)
Which specific possessives are troubling you?

Edit: Ended a sentence with a preposition. *smacks forehead*

Ummm, pretty much everything!

The girls' bathroom.

The girl's bathroom.

The girls bathroom.
Mr Fuzzy
I've been lead to beleive that in almost all cases the possesive does not require an apostrophe.
gothictheysay
The girls' bathroom.

This one is grammatically correct - however, I have seen girls bathroom used. The same thing happens with women's. Women's is correct, but a lot of times I see it as womens.

I would criticize Fuzzy's spelling, but he moved the stuff to the other server, so biggrin.gif
Mr Fuzzy
I must admit that I have something of a blind spot for the whole "ei" "ie" thing. Others are likely to be an artifact of a 13 year old keyboard which dies a little more each day. Soon the replacement for my Ultra-Funky™ cordless desktop will arrive though. Including a mouse more accurate than any other on the market by a factor of 20. Yay!
exceptional1709
Am I a Grammar Nazi? I correct my friends' spelling and grammar all the time and it drives them insane.
JimiJimi
I would be a Grammar Nazi, hell I even get a dictionary to check words I'm unsure about before I post! But, I use elipses to often...
Feyliya
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Jan 29 2005, 05:15 AM)
I would be a Grammar Nazi, hell I even get a dictionary to check words I'm unsure about before I post! But, I use elipses to often...

It would be "I would be a Grammar Nazi. Hell, I even get a dictionary to check words I'm unsure about before I post! But I use elipses too often..."

Must...kill....COMMA SPLICES!!!

Ahem...yeah, methinks I'm already a Grammar Nazi. I'm just not really the club-joining type/
cait
QUOTE (Feyliya @ Jan 29 2005, 10:56 AM)
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Jan 29 2005, 05:15 AM)

It would be "I would be a Grammar Nazi. Hell, I even get a dictionary to check words I'm unsure about before I post! But I use elipses too often..."

Must...kill....COMMA SPLICES!!!

Ahem...yeah, methinks I'm already a Grammar Nazi. I'm just not really the club-joining type/

Is it really proper to use the word "but" at the beginning of a sentance? Also, the statement being dealt with here uses awkward phrasing. "I even get a dictionary to check words I'm unsure about before I post". That was painful for me to read! Furthermore, why must we use so many contractions? A few "I am"s here and there would be nice.

Shit, I am such a hypocrite though.
elphaba2
I was at my school today and noticed on the sports bulletin board the following:

"Boy's Basketball Scores" (Hmm..who is this mysterious boy?)

"Girl's Volleyball Scores' " (*twitches*)

I'm rather sad to report that I pulled out a sharpie and corrected them, standing there in the hallway as people rushed about. *adds a pin to Grammar Nazi Jumpsuit*

Has anyone done the same?
cait
The lady who wrote Eats, Shoots and Leaves apparently has.
elphaba2
That was a bit stinging.

Update: "They" (the mysterious entities who add things to the bulletin board) placed a large sign on it asking people to "Please not write on the bulletin bord"

*insert public school joke here*
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.