Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jobs
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Righteous
I was thinking about work this morning and I started wondering which Matazonian had what kind of job. I know a few here and there, but I think it'd be cool to share.

As you cats know, I got out of construction recently and embarked on a career of dishwashing and food preparation. Hopefully it'll be an okay job, though a far cry from some of the better jobs I've lost. dry.gif

Eh, well. What about you guys? What do you do to put food on the table?
Forever Unknown
I've been working in Landlord and Tenant Law for just over a year now. My boss is evil, and I'm completely underpaid for the level of work I do (I'm in need of a good 3-5 grand payrise, but I have to wait for the opportune moment). But it's a good foot-up on the career ladder, even though I'm not sure if legal work is what I want to do with my life. I certainly don't want to continue evicting people for a living, but I may go into other areas of the law.
franken-sarah
I work as a Day Centre Officer (D.C.O), supporting adults with learning disabilites to access community resources. I do a lot of outdoor ed stuff including water-skiing and canooeing which is great.

I also work monday to friday which is cool too, when I worked in residential it was all shift work which I hate!
FurryMammal
I'm looking for one. Just can't get motivated, though i sorely need the money sad.gif

Any that anyone can recommend?
MistressAlti
Wal-Mart cashier - none too thrilling, none too complicated. Pays okay for an entry-level summer job, but I couldn't imagine trying to completely support myself on that salary.
Cath Sparrow
Trainee clothing Pattern cutter and boy do they treat me like a Trainee!!!!! I need more money!! dry.gif
mooooooooooopo
My last 3 jobs (actually I dont start the third till August):

o Web designer
o Loading garden equipment into/out of container trucks
o Programming/Networking stuff

Oh so varied!
Righteous
QUOTE (moop @ Jun 24 2004, 01:48 PM)
My last 3 jobs (actually I dont start the third till August):

o Web designer
o Loading garden equipment into/out of container trucks
o Programming/Networking stuff

Oh so varied!

I'm down with that.

General carpentry
Tile
Detailing
Oil changing
Retail
Making pizzas
And now, washing dishes/food prep
Sir Psycho Sexy
When I'm at university I tend to bum around and do bugger all but when I come back home I end up labouring with an old friend of my mum's its either building or joinery for the most part, my latest acheivement was putting a cowl (the white bit that spins) on an oast house, not really a major achievment but traditionally they're built on the ground and hoisted into position, this one was built in situ and we pretty much licked it in a day, plus i got a cracking tan while doing it....though i don't take my top off like the other guys....i might get caught on something what with my peircings >_<

oh yeah, the money's pretty good too, i just made 750 in three weeks and what with the current exchange rate, i have about $1200 to spend in america!!!!....!!!!!11111oneoneone
porcelainwarrior
Currently a care assisstant in a nursing home (but helping my auntie lewissa out with the under-twos in her nursery this week)

But before that I worked in a gift shop and before that I was in an office (argh!)
froggle-rock
Currently working in Probation. before that I managed a fancy dress shop. huh.gif
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho_Sexy @ Jun 24 2004, 07:08 PM)
oh yeah, the money's pretty good too, i just made 750 in three weeks and what with the current exchange rate, i have about $1200 to spend in america!!!!....!!!!!11111oneoneone

Nice, my web design job lasted about 3 weeks and somehow earned me exactly 666, I didnt get a tan though sad.gif.

*cackles manically*

Or am I just easiliy amused?
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I'm working in my mum and dads office thing at the moment, I spent 8 hours fileing last Friday...oh the joy! What fun I have!
beleraphon
I work in the IT departments financial department for a rather large insurance company in the UK.

Facinating innit!

looks like there is no typical Matazone reader/viewer whatever.
Aislinn Faye
I'm not allowed to have a job living with my EBM laugh.gif no one gets that except rain child probably. But anyway, I did have a job one time long long ago as a receptionist at an autoshop, it was fun, wouldn't mind working at one again.
acid_rain_child
^ wink.gif

Too young to work and make any money, but I do volunteer with animals occasionally. When I do get a job, I'll work in a retirement home first.
Righteous
QUOTE (beleraphon @ Jun 24 2004, 04:58 PM)
looks like there is no typical Matazone reader/viewer whatever.

Never has been and never will be.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Customer Service Team Leader.

That means I deal with shitty fecks all day and then delegate my work to others.

Is all good... biggrin.gif
monkey_called_narth
... i work at a girl scout camp for the moment... FREE ROOM AND BOARD!!!
Righteous
QUOTE (monkey_called_narth @ Jun 24 2004, 06:40 PM)
... i work at a girl scout camp for the moment... FREE ROOM AND BOARD!!!

Score, baby.
Aria
I work at an outdoor ed camp in the summer. Rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, caving... good stuff.
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 24 2004, 11:25 PM)
That means I deal with shitty fecks all day and then delegate my work to others.

Probably shitty fecks like me! laugh.gif I usually give customer service guys hell when you muck me around. Mind you, when you're nice and helpful I make a real point of telling them which is always good. I deal with all our customers and I like it when someone says thank you rather than complains. It's a sad state of affairs in this country (and probably others!) that customer services mainly get contacted when the customer isn't happy sad.gif

I'm an Office Manager (a.k.a. Dogsbody) in a Publishing company. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. I'm going for an interview in Bradford doing a similar job in a museum. Just waiting for the date which should have come through in June. June's almost over. Eeek! sad.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
It's a sad state of affairs in this country (and probably others!) that customer services mainly get contacted when the customer isn't happy

Yeah - occasionally we do get customers calling to congratulate us on a job well done but otherwise it's generally to complain. *shrug*

But then again, that's what we're here for. rolleyes.gif
arpeggiodreams
I lifeguard for the city. Which means I sit out getting a tan while yelling "No running" at kids in three languages (English, Spanish, and I'm working on Hmong). I also teach swim lessons, which is way more fun.
In the fall, I guard for a waterpolo team and a swim team... which means I sit out on a chair and do my homework.
I was talking with one of my supervisors (a head guard) telling her that I might not be able to work next year. I'm getting a breast reduction and my scars might not be fully closed enough to get in the water. She told me that I'll probably be a senior guard next year, even though it will only be my fourth year working. Go me!
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Jun 25 2004, 03:41 PM)
But then again, that's what we're here for. rolleyes.gif

You're there to help. If you do that you should get a pat on the back smile.gif I've had some customer service people just be arsey with me. I don't know why. So I'm arsey back. Serves 'em right! laugh.gif
{Gothic Angel}
I dont have a job that puts food on the table per se, but mum made me get one to show i was mature, reponsible, not lazy etc etc bla bla bla

Im a waitress in a posh (should be 5* but the owner deliberately pissed off the inspector cos he doesnt approove of the * system rolleyes.gif) hotel. Its not too bad, and pays pretty well for a 16 year old (4-50/hour)
artist.unknown
To get in touch with my inner Victorian wage slave, I am cleaning rich people's nasty houses this summer for measly pay (how very quaint and Manor House). This means a)I smell like a salad (hurrah for vinegar) and b) I have discovered a new and wholly better way to use the German language; how gloriously angry it is. And may I say, people are vile and slobbish when they know that somebody else will do the cleaning for them. Disgusting, human nature.
Sir Psycho Sexy
QUOTE (arpeggiodreams @ Jun 25 2004, 05:12 PM)
I'm getting a breast reduction

it's ironic the amount of money people pay for the oppposite really
MarJ
I`m the mommy...under paid and over worked and very under valued! (poor me sad.gif )
Righteous
Aww. Don't think like that.

By the way, guys. My new job's pretty cool. It's a bit crazy sometimes, but all-in-all, it's good.
WeeJ
I'm a 'Customer Services Administrator' for a window and door maintenance company. I deal with customers whining throughout the Midlands, I book survey's everywhere and I do most of the sales. And I shove a broom up my arse and sweep the floor as I work dry.gif
spuglet
I work as a casual in an art gallery- i am called in as and when they need me and i do whatever needs doing- generally reception or walking the floor. i will never get the hang of that till. ever. I started when i was 16 (last july) and my pay has gone up a whole penny in that time so now i get paid 5.77..not bad, not bad!

Just applied for a modern apprentiship in business admin. if i get it ill be on 5.36- less pay but regular work
Queenie
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jun 30 2004, 07:52 PM)
And I shove a broom up my arse and sweep the floor as I work dry.gif

*giggles*

I'm a lazy ass student that couldn't get a job in a shoe shop in Leeds because she was too qualified and the shoe shops can get 16 years olds for cheaper... damn the fact that the childrens feet might suffer if their shoes aren't fitted correctly.

But no... in a couple of weeks i won't be such a lazy ass student for i shall work in a play scheme where i shall make the children become my minions and we shall make a million cookies for myself to devour!! Hopefully i've got a job next year in the student union aswell... oh it's good knowing the people behind the bar!! laugh.gif
spiffilicious05
God, I hate to sound like a whiney cry-baby but - man I need a job.

I literally don't have time with most of the stuff I fit into my schedule. I really don't have time to be in fl, right now I'm sacrificing a lot of possible scholarships from scouts for crew. Summer is a big season for crew, a lot of international races. That, plus I made empire state games which is like a mini olympics but only for new york. They split you up by regions, it's odd.

Anyways, yeah, I need a job -- so far my job is school, crew, music, and other various activities mostly pretaining to church.
helicopter pilot
McDonalds! its disgusting and it makes me realise just how horrible people are. but am student and are no jobs for students around, so coping. can't wait to be graduated and properly employed, although dunno what in!
Mata
Now there's an ironic job/username match!

Well, in the past twelve months I've:

Worked on a council switchboard
Programmed a game for money for Channel 4
Made animations for Trouble TV
Sold T-shirts

I find it quite amusing that the things that I do the most, running this forum, making animations for this site, and my PhD, don't earn me any money at all!
LoLo
I'm a shift manager at this place that's like an antique shop, but we don't sell antiques. We sell mostly reproduction furniture (looks old but really isn't) and a lot of tacky collectible stuff. It seriously amazes me how many people collect these candle house things that we sell. It looks as if someone paid a five year old to glop some clay down in the shape of a house and then put an annoyingly shiny irridessent glaze over the top of it. Oh yeah they're made in China so someone probably did pay a 5 year old to do that. We also sell a ton of candles and candle accessories, so much so that you can smell our store before you walk in and aparently I come home smelling like it too, but I dunno cause I can't smell it anymore. [/rant]
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (LoLo @ Jul 1 2004, 06:36 AM)
It seriously amazes me how many people collect these candle house things that we sell. It looks as if someone paid a five year old to glop some clay down in the shape of a house and then put an annoyingly shiny irridessent glaze over the top of it. Oh yeah they're made in China so someone probably did pay a 5 year old to do that.

LMAO, oh that was terrible Lo! biggrin.gif

Anyway, I can identify with coming home smelling like candles and body products too, since I work at Bath & Body Works. I can never smell it either, since I get so used to it being there. The crappy thing about this job, though, is that I'm lucky to even get 10 hours a week, so it's pretty much worthless.

Anyway, other jobs I've had:

*stuffing envelopes and miscellaneous other assembly duties at a marketing firm. I seriously thought my brains were going to leap out of my head if I had to fold another damn box together. Most repetitive. Job. Ever.

*Fast Food. Ugh. Don't remind me.

*Dismantling computers and monitors and other computer-related equipment at a computer recycling warehouse

*Nursing assistant in a nursing home

*Motel housekeeper

References
Available on request tongue.gif
Righteous
Heh. This is funny. My brother just got fired from his job at an ice cream joint and is getting another job...at another ice cream joint.
artist.unknown
I've just realised the people I work for are like some sort of feudal lords and ladies. In the matter of three hours in one mansiony place, one couple had 2 people working on the inside, 5 people working on their cobble drive, and a gardener in their piddly little garden. The wage slaves outnumbered the household! Then, if you get the inside of their shower done wrong, they invite company over, trash the place, and complain to your boss demanding you reclean the whole joint for free due to the shower!! Oh, la. I just may pour cleaning fluid down somebody's throat one of these days. Too bad I need the money. --;;
markslut
I work as an admin for a company that sells these, these and unfortunatly these
Enslaved
I currently work as a "courier" aka pizza delivery driver inbetween studying music. Yep, I'm customer service / food industry scum. At least I get to spend most of my time driving around with the stereo thumpin' rolleyes.gif
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (markslut @ Jul 2 2004, 09:13 PM)
I work as an admin

With that hair? tongue.gif
Artemisia
Well, after 4 years in fast food (my former place of business burned down last summer, but I had already left by then!), I was an art history research assistant for about 3 years, then had a truly sweet job as a research assistant at an art gallery for 2 summers, and was making almost twice minimum wage........but this summer, I was unemployed until 2 days ago when I started pulling weeds.

Yes, pulling weeds. Me, with a BFA (AH) Honours with Great Distinction! Pulling weeds, in a flax test field, in the hot sun and mosquitos, for less than $7 CANADIAN an hour!!! biggrin.gif You have no idea how much my ass, thighs, and lower back hurt. But, it's a job! Hopefully Jicama will join me on Monday!
MoonlightSavingsTime
QUOTE (Artemisia @ Jul 8 2004, 02:38 PM)
Yes, pulling weeds. Me, with a BFA (AH) Honours with Great Distinction! Pulling weeds, in a flax test field, in the hot sun and mosquitos, for less than $7 CANADIAN an hour!!! biggrin.gif You have no idea how much my ass, thighs, and lower back hurt. But, it's a job! Hopefully Jicama will join me on Monday!

Well, at least I'm not the only one then. I have my B.A. and yet I can't seem to pull anything better than envelope-stuffing and retail, all for a maximum wage of $7-8/hour. Really frustrating.
Polocrunch
Pulling weeds is fun! And I get paid all of 3.10 an hour!

Yeah, I work in a gardening centre, where I pull dastardly weeds, water ungrateful plants, milk tip-machines (some people call them "customers"), lug lazy bags of compost around, and brew vats of tea and coffee for my employers. Has anyone ever noticed that middle-aged people never stop drinking tea? I think it's got something to do with moral fibre, but I've yet to scientifically prove the connection.
gothictheysay
Has anyone ever noticed that middle-aged people never stop drinking tea? I think it's got something to do with moral fibre, but I've yet to scientifically prove the connection.

A simple twist and it's the same in America...The middle-aged people are constantly drinking coffee. I'm all for a cup or two a day - the same with tea - but some people just keep slugging!
MarJ
QUOTE (gothictheysay @ Jul 8 2004, 11:12 PM)
Has anyone ever noticed that middle-aged people never stop drinking tea? I think it's got something to do with moral fibre, but I've yet to scientifically prove the connection.

I get through, on average, 7 cups of tea per day ( more if they are made for me...I just can`t say no!) Does that make me a middle aged fart?
WeeJ
Yes Emma. It does. I'd be surprised if you don't urinate tea, you PG-tip-aholic tongue.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I get through about 2 cups of tea an hour on some days...I'm not even 19 (yet) so am I middle age?

I loves my tea, although I can't have more than a splah (literally) of milk or it makes me want to throw up! Coffee has to black!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.