Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pop Vs. Soda Vs. Coke
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
vicrawr
So, in IRC and IMs, we often speak about what we call our soft drinks. I recently found this link and decided to make a poll.

Soft drinks
WeeJ
Pop. Always with the pop smile.gif
acid_rain_child
How could you say pop? I think calling it pop makes you sound like a 4 year old. Me, and everyone I know, call it soda... 'cause that's what it is. Soda. The soda isle of the gorcery store, bottle of soda, "what kinda soda you got in the fridge?", etc. Technically, they're both right. It's derived from soda-pop, no?
CommieBastard
I call it Coke, if it's Coke. Which it usually is. If it's Pepsi, I call it Pepsi. Red Bull I call Red Bull.
acid_rain_child
Yeah, but what would you say if you asked, "What kinda *blank* do we got in the 'fridge?"

EDIT: I realize the terrible grammar of that sentence, and also find, to my horror, that I say that quite frequently unsure.gif
CommieBastard
QUOTE (acid_rain_child @ Jul 5 2004, 08:38 PM)
Yeah, but what would you say if you asked, "What kinda *blank* do we got in the 'fridge?"

Drinks, most likely.
gothictheysay
Soda. It's never been anything else. tongue.gif Ah, the blissful days debating this in IRC rolleyes.gif
Forever Unknown
I generally refer to it by it's name, or 'fizz'.

The 'other' responses on there are hilarious, though:

- Tubgirl Juice
- dope
- MARDOC SHALL SMITE ALL PEOPLE WHO CALL POP "SODA"!!!!!!!
- MARDOC IS A LACEPANTS AND COULDN'T SMITE HIS WAY OUT OF A WET PAPER BAG. SODA JERK.
- George W Bush is a moron!
- Ryan from Urban Toronto is a twat
- for the person who thinks that florida uses the correct name by calling it COKE because they're so civilized, just like their friends in alabama and mississippi who also call it coke, i dont think the votes from florida should count. they probably meant to vote for Soda but got confused by the unclear ballot and picked Coke accidentaly. the correct term is SODA
- the only time i use pop is when i pop a cap in someones ass for calling it pop....its soda
- Thank you, this is an extremely important topic, and a concern of mine for many years!! This survey will clear up a lot of issues. I use either one depending on who I'm talking to. Soda, for some reason, seems more formal, pop seems like a slang term from where I grew up in Indiana. I think I started using Soda when I moved to Chicago. When our family lived in Hannibal Missouri, the other kids made fun of us when we said "pop". I said, what do you call it? "Sodie-pop or sodie", they would reply. Most people I met when I lived there seemed to confuse "a's" and "i's". For example, they would say Indiani and Missoura. I never quite understood that. If I use Coke it means Coca-cola but no other soft drink. There, I just used soft drink and I didn't even realize it. I never SAY soft drink, I must just use it when I write. Keep up the good work.
- Hey Southerners. Can I offer you a Ford automobile? What kind? Oh, a Mercedes, maybe a Ferrari. To you guys they're all Fords right? Idiots.
- Dear web designer, you should have put a limit on the number of characters that can fit in this field. It would eliminate a bunch of wordy, mostly irrelevant responses. Like this one.
- Toona dan is such a hick and he always says "pop", so i must conclude that everyone who says pop are hicks. Toona's roommate is very gay also, so if your roommate says pop, then the logic suggests that you are gay.
- Hey, why don't you work on a cure for cancer or something else important.
- Ok, this is the FINAL word on this subject "Soda" is club soda, add a sweetener and it becomes a "Soft Drink", "Tonic" contains quinine, "Soda-Pop" is what northern hicks use and shorten to "Pop" which is someone's father and therefore clearly unacceptable. Colas are cola-flavored SOFT DRINKS and are in the civilized world refered to as COKE since Coca-Cola is the first, largest and most enjoyable drink ever produced. In our capitalist culture the originator gets the credit. So go Xerox some paper and put up some Sheetrock while you read this on your PC. Also, as the chart clearly indicates, the most educated and civilized parts of our country (the East and West Coasts) clearly refer to it as Coke. I grew up in south east Florida (the only civilized part of Florida as well as a bigger mixing pot than NY city or the whole of California) and we ask for Coke. What kind of coke? Hmm..I'll have a Sprite, or maybe a Pepsi (if you prefer that ilk, but you still ask for COKE first). The ONLY exception is if you want a Root Beer or and Orange Soda, in which case you ask by brand name "I would like a Sunkist." or "One A&W root beer please." This is cleary the educated way of ordering a SOFT DRINK and it will get you laid too.
beleraphon
Yey for different names between places!

bel's interpretation...

UK its 'pop' or 'fizzy-pop' or occasionally 'fizz' Otherwise its the name os the actual drink ie Lemonade, Tango, Cherryade etc...

USA its more likely to be 'soda' or 'soda-pop' which in the UK would get you soda-water in the pub or cream-soda or a funny look!

Most of the time all Cola drinks get called 'Coke' regardless of if its made by the Coca-Cola company or not.

I've taken to calling carbonated soft drinks 'soda' recently, mainly to annoy people, same as when I refer to my trainers as 'sneakers'

What we gonna debate next, the 'petrol v's gas' one is good, or the american spelling and pronunciation of almost everything if you really want to start a barney!

Then again I'm in Norwich in the UK where the locals virtually speak a diferent languace and we have a place called Wymondham which is pronounced wind-ham so hey, whats in a name!
froggle-rock
hmm, either 'fizzy drink' or its brand name. I like Ginger Beer best, and Vanilla Cokeis another. I never see it any mo' but Root Beer was a favorite too.
LoLo
Soda
Snugglebum the Destroyer
This has got to be a US thing. I always call it by brand name. Otherwise it's just fizzy.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (beleraphon @ Jul 5 2004, 09:23 PM)
UK its 'pop' or 'fizzy-pop' or occasionally 'fizz'

Never heard any of those terms. I'm probably far too middle-class, I call them soft drinks.
PsychWardMike
Gotta be Coke, baby. I like the double entendre, too.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
My gran calls it pop, I just refer to them as drinks because I don't go out of my way to drink fizzy drinks I don't specify the fizzy bit!
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
I say soda. I can't picture anything else.
acid_rain_child
Never, in my entire life, have I EVER heard anyone call soda 'fizzy'. I mean, there are those little tablets you can get, that when you add them to water they make soda, they're called is Fizzies on the box.

But, I do see how most of the time people call soda 'coke', even when it's not Coke. Unless it's Dr. Pepper or something, in which case you call it Dr. Pepper. I'm thinking way too hard about this.

Petrol v. gas just has to do with which country you're from. 'Cept in Maryland, where the hicks on the eastern shore call gas 'oil' and pronounce it 'earl'.
tainted_sorrow
ITS POP!...iv always called it pop...everyone i know calls it pop...wel everyone till i moved here,..there all "soda soda soda"...its pop god dangit!...heh
Tigersong
In Canada, I'm pretty sure it's "pop" right across the board.
Mutilation
Yay! Show your English pride Commie. Vote for Coke. You Americans and you Soda.

"Yo, like do you DUDES want to go to the MALL and get some FRIES and POT-ATO CHIPS and SODA?"

Us English say:

"I'm going to ASDA to get some STUFF for the STAG NIGHT."
Forever Unknown
Us English say:

Really? I thought we just said "I'm off to get p*ssed".
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Jul 6 2004, 10:20 AM)
Us English say:

Really? I thought we just said "I'm off to get p*ssed".

Some of us just sit at home and play computer games...
LoLo
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jul 6 2004, 01:00 AM)
Yay! Show your English pride Commie. Vote for Coke. You Americans and you Soda.

"Yo, like do you DUDES want to go to the MALL and get some FRIES and POT-ATO CHIPS and SODA?"

Wow that sounds so American. I feel like you've nailed our personalities all to a T there. You could be American. [/sarcasim]
Mutilation
If I had said "Let's get pissed" there wouldn't be anything to MAKE BIG.

And you didn't start the sarcasm tag, thus it doesn't work. It's like putting [/QUOTE] at the end of this message and hoping it works.

[/CRAP]
acid_rain_child
Is that really how you think we talk? *Pretends like it isn't*

If I had said "Let's get pissed" there wouldn't be anything to MAKE BIG.

Coulda made it PISSED, we just say plastered, or drunk, or f***ed up, or sh** faced, but never pissed. 90% of Americans wouldn't know what you were talking about.

And the stereotype of Americans shouldn't be at the mall stuffing our faces with FRIES and CHIPS and SODA. While a small portion of us do dry.gif it's not on top of most of our priority lists.

Unfortunately, though, I don't have much of a defense, since most of us think the stereotype for the British is everyone with white gloves sipping tea in their living rooms.
Greeneyes
QUOTE (acid_rain_child @ Jul 6 2004, 04:15 PM)
Unfortunately, though, I don't have much of a defense, since most of us think the stereotype for the British is everyone with white gloves sipping tea in their living rooms.

Ahem. I think one will find tea is to be consumed in the drawing room.

*does snooty gesture*
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (CommieBastard @ Jul 5 2004, 08:36 PM)
I call it Coke, if it's Coke. Which it usually is. If it's Pepsi, I call it Pepsi. Red Bull I call Red Bull.

Ditto. And I would say "We got any fizzy drinks?"
Mutilation
If you were in England though you would walk up to their fridge and take what you want.

And I believe the English stereotype should be:

"Has ONE got any EARL GREY tea? I would be AWFULLY DISTRAUGHT if ONE did not. Why PIDDLE POSH what is that PIDGEON doing in the middle of my GARDEN (you do say "lawn" right?)?

I will edit this once I find a picture that fits this.
Forever Unknown
but never pissed. 90% of Americans wouldn't know what you were talking about.

I find a lot of Americans think someone's angry when they say 'I'm pissed'.

Cheerio!
acid_rain_child
Well, that's what pissed means over there. Liiiike... "Man, that George Bush really pisses me off," or "I'm so pissed off, I can't even think."

If you were in England though you would walk up to their fridge and take what you want.

For the love of god, people! Are there no others out there too lazy to get off the couch and get their own drink?! Okay, scenerio: You're at someone's house, hanging out on the couch or in the living room, watching the tube, and suddenly you realize you're thirsty. Your friend just went into the kitchen to get some chips. You yell, "Hey, Frank, what kind of soda do you have?" Frank responds, "We don't have any soda, sorry, only some Kool Aid and some iced tea!"
Spacehappy
QUOTE (WeeJ @ Jul 5 2004, 08:20 PM)
Pop. Always with the pop smile.gif

I agree biggrin.gif
Phyllis
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Jul 6 2004, 08:31 AM)

Yikes. I don't feel comfortable doing that unless it's my immediate family or a really close friend. I usually wait to be offered otherwise. And if I'm incredibly thirsty, I ask for some water.

Anyway, pop or soda are both acceptable, as they both come from the term "soda pop." I call it pop here in Oregon, but soda in New York because that's what everyone else called it there. I generally think that pop sounds better...but that's just me. I mainly think this because baking soda is also referred to as "soda" in many recipes (particularly older ones).

That's just my personal preference, though. I sometimes honestly call it pop excessively just to annoy snotty people who insist that not calling it soda makes you sound silly. rolleyes.gif
lygophilia
Wow, there are 8 for "pop" and 9 for "soda". I didn't think "pop" was that common. I put "soda", but usually I say "coke" because that's about all I drink. But for general soft drinks, I say "soda".
And the stereotype of Americans shouldn't be at the mall stuffing our faces with FRIES and CHIPS and SODA. While a small portion of us do  it's not on top of most of our priority lists.

Only a small portion of us stuff our faces with junk food? blink.gif
eternallybored
Damm. I said Coke, because if it isn't Coke it sucks, but then I realized that all sorts of soda should be called ramune! Even if it isn't! Because ramune is better than everything! And it has a ring to it...

So there. PM me if you don't know what ramune is. (Only for the reason that my Inbox is hopelessly empty.)
MoonlightSavingsTime
I say "soda," but since I'm originally from Minnesota, I still have to keep "pop" in my vocabulary for when I'm talking to my mom or any other family member from Minnesota. "Soda" to them is "baking soda," so I have to be careful to translate for them. tongue.gif
EvilSpork
It's fizzy juice or pop for me.
Mutilation
Yikes. I don't feel comfortable doing that unless it's my immediate family or a really close friend. I usually wait to be offered otherwise. And if I'm incredibly thirsty, I ask for some water.

You obviously haven't met Mike Cramp. If you see him hide your crisps. And biscuits. And all your drinks.

And when I say pop I think Panda Pop. Do they have those in America?
acid_rain_child
QUOTE (lygophilia @ Jul 7 2004, 04:19 AM)
Only a small portion of us stuff our faces with junk food? blink.gif

Nah, only a small portion of us have stuffing our face at the mall on the top of our priority list. At least, I hope so. That or I really need to move to Canada some time soon.
vicrawr
I'd like to know who goes and eats potato chips and french fries in the same sitting.
tainted_sorrow
i call pop, pop because im a popaholic, and u cant call your self a 'sodaaholic', or a 'softdrinkaholic', cause its just plain sounds stupid,...but yer...

my mom,..if you ask her for 'soda',..(bein the nerd that she is) she pull out a box of bakin soda,..why? dont ask me,..but yea...
Gothymothy girl
I call it Coke, even though usually it's mountain dew. Carbonated drink=coke.
{Gothic Angel}
QUOTE (Greeneyes @ Jul 6 2004, 04:23 PM)
Ahem. I think one will find tea is to be consumed in the drawing room.

*does snooty gesture*

Actually I believe you will find that the ladies will retire to the drawing room for tea. The gentlemen such as yourself (*snicker*) remain in the billiard room to discuss things such as politics and current affairs, which the ladies clearly don't have the heads for.

rolleyes.gif No, really. Its exactly like that here in England. tongue.gif
Greeneyes
QUOTE ({Gothic Angel} @ Jul 12 2004, 01:30 PM)
Actually I believe you will find that the ladies will retire to the drawing room for tea. The gentlemen such as yourself (*snicker*) remain in the billiard room to discuss things such as politics and current affairs, which the ladies clearly don't have the heads for.

rolleyes.gif No, really. Its exactly like that here in England. tongue.gif

Don't us gentlemen (*also snicker*) only do that after dinner? I thought that during afternoon tea both sexes would converse lightly on topics that ladies such as yourself do have the heads for in the drawing room?

*repeats snooty gesture*
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
"fizzy stuff" sounds more like a thing I'd say. I voted coke because I'd probably ask for "coke or something."
{Gothic Angel}
I believe you will find, sir that afternoon tea takes place in the conservatory where one can overlook the grounds.
LindyLouWho
ahem... forget all that otha stuff... FAYGO is da shizzznit .... that is the juggalo way ayep
Prince Aries
Soda. What other option is going to give me the ability to break into song and dance immediately thereafter?

Soooooooooda! So so so sosooooooooooooooooooooooda!
Mr Fuzzy
Bah, all the given options are wrong. In my world they're called mixers.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
In my world they're called mixers.

Or 'Don't you DARE put that crap in my whiskey' biggrin.gif
eleraama
I get weird looks all the time because I live in the Midwestern US where they say 'pop', but I myslef am from California (and hence 'soda' country). Oh, and a question-

WHAT DOES IT MATTER?!?!?
We should be debating other things, like whether pink lemonade tastes the same as yellow lemonade, and whether Pepsi is better than Coke. (it's not.)

happy.gif The eternal soft drink wars...happy.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.