Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Idea To Mull Over... ( Central US Meet )
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Prince Aries
So. Some of us couldn't make it to the WC Meet. When I thought about a few of the people who had WANTED to go, but couldn't, I realized something.

A good portion of us were from Central US and Canada.

So you know what that means, children?

How do we feel about a Central US/Canada Matazone Meet? This is an idea my slave *cough* e-husband Tigersong and I have formulated. I mean, it just makes sense. Anyone remotely NEAR these areas who might be interested, throw your thoughts here into this thread. It's definitely something worth thinking about no?

Plus, maybe I could *FINALLY* meet some of you people! (On a side note, I find it sad that I live so close to Missy and have yet to go down there and harass her.....terribly sad, isn't it? I'm coming for you Missy! biggrin.gif)

Anyway, thoughts, comments, perversions, whatever. Here. Type. Now.
acid_rain_child
Nevermind the East Coast... dry.gif
Tigersong
I think this is a most excellent idea and could be a lot of fun and yeah.

Scary thing is, one yahoo VC it seemed as though my wedding was going to turn into a meet... biggrin.gif

So yeah, and stuff. We should do it. It would be cool and fun and stuff.
ravein
I am pretty far down the east coast... but if it was within a 12-18 hour drive.. I might be up for a road trip...
karismaklysm
they have these things called planes, rave...
you know, that thing you figured out how to conquer?
i'm game!
ravein
QUOTE (karismaklysm @ Jul 13 2004, 03:24 PM)
they have these things called planes, rave...
you know, that thing you figured out how to conquer?
i'm game!

tongue.gif true but karisma they cost this stuff called money.. and if you are going to quit your job and become a dirty hippy we can't afford to fly.. but we can drive for a 100 bucks.. but if we can get cheap airfair I am game for flying.. *in old woman voice* as long as I have meds biggrin.gif
acid_rain_child
I'm pretty sure South West will fly you anywhere for $49.99 or something. I shall check.

southwest.com Only Specials:
southwest.com Systemwide Sale -- Fly anywhere Southwest Airlines flies for $39 to $99 one-way with 14-day advance purchase!
This week's Featured Destination: New Orleans, LA
Travel within the state of California for $39 one-way with 14-day advance purchase.
Travel between Florida and select cities for $39 to $79 one-way with 14-day advance purchase.
Travel between select Midwest cities for $34 one-way with 14-day advance purchase.
Travel between select Northwest cities for $34, $59, or $79 one-way with 14-day advance purchase.
Travel within the state of Texas for $34 or $60 one-way with 14-day advance purchase.

I guess nothing for your purposes. Nevermind.
ravein
where are you thinking about having it??
gothictheysay
I probably wouldn't be able to go, seeing as I am but a squee little child...but you never know. I live in the Midwest US... but perhaps if I raised my own money, my dad would think about it. If it weren't too far away my family could check into a hotel somewheres. Probably not though sad.gif But it is a good idea.
Prince Aries
I think it's important to try and find a location central for all. However, me and another forumite (or ex-forumite rather since her computer committed suicide) live in the same apartment building. There's two of us right here! laugh.gif

But those who are really interested can certainly discuss this at length.

Any ideas or suggestions, fire away.
acid_rain_child
Hmm, I'm going to be in Minnesota mid-August-ish. Someone could come and abduct me. I wouldn't mind...

*Isn't bitter or anything because of her age or the fact that she'll never meet anyone from these forums* *Not bitter at all* *Maybe* *Just a little*
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Prince Aries @ Jul 13 2004, 01:15 PM)
(On a side note, I find it sad that I live so close to Missy and have yet to go down there and harass her.....terribly sad, isn't it? I'm coming for you Missy! biggrin.gif)

I'm still mad at you for not coming to see me. *poutation*

Yes, we need a meet. It's going to happen. Teh Soonar, Teh Bettar. I'd suggest sometime this winter, but we all know how frikin cold it gets in this part of the country, urgh... still. I am SO THERE. I promise, as long as I'm given plenty of forewarning and can get to an airport (not really a problem) and afford cheap Southwest Airlines fare (again, not really so much a problem anymore), a central US meet sounds like good fun. Besides, if I'm ever gonna punish Aries-dearest (read: spankings!) for not coming to see me at school, I'm going to have to see him in person, right? Right.

Geoff, I want to see you there. Seriously. I don't know who all is regional and free to wander on weekends, but I imagine we could manage to find at least as many as the WC-ers did. And Rave and Karis, COME SEE US YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO biggrin.gif

For those complaining about the regional-ness of the US meets... I'm sorry, but we do live in a pretty darn big country, it's not as if we can all take trains and meet up somewhere in less than ten hours. Splitting the country is probably the best solution, really, especially for those on limited budgets. Besides, they're not exclusive or anything, I know I'd love for west/east/brit coasters to show up if possible.

HINT HINT PLEASE COME I'LL MAKE IT WORTH YOUR WHILE. wink.gif You know I will.

Dude, Aries, see if you can catch me online sometime soon, we must do this, I will help you plan.
Prince Aries
You're on, Missy. Too bad we're missing our Third member of the Angels. Teh True Fun, right there. Anyway, you kids spew forth ideas, I'm going to work for a few hours. Catch you all later.

Missy - You should still have my number, so use it, your verbally abusing wench. happy.gif
ravein
Okay.. how about the Chicago IL area? it is a pretty big city.. it is pretty central.. It is close to Canada..
MistressAlti
QUOTE (ravein @ Jul 13 2004, 02:22 PM)
Okay.. how about the Chicago IL area? it is a pretty big city.. it is pretty central.. It is close to Canada..

That was the first city I thought of, too... but of course anyone NOT from the Midwest US thinks Chicago is the only city out here. *laughs* If you mean central to both the East and the Central US, then yes, it's probably our best bet, and Chicago's supposedly a pretty cool city. I don't think any of us live especially close to there, though, so we'd be basing most-to-all of our information off of tourist-y travel stuff. Which is fine, if that's what people want to do. It's at least a pretty central city as far as airports are concerned, so finding flights in-and-out won't be bad, though the airport itself is supposed to be a real biotch to navigate, and I'm going to guess that we're mostly going to have to meet up there, since no-one under 21 can rent a car by themselves to go anywhere else.

I'm going to throw out Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; St. Louis, Missouri; and Omaha, Nebraska as other ideas as well. They're a bit more central-US than Chicago but I thought we might at least want some more options.
ravein
true.. well who is in this area that would want to host us?? As far as a rental.. dont worry I can get the rental car. I will work out flying in early so I can get it. But if you guys throw up in the rental it is on son biggrin.gif
MistressAlti
QUOTE (ravein @ Jul 13 2004, 02:48 PM)
true.. well who is in this area that would want to host us??

Yeah, that's my question.

I can't, considering the university life that I'll be bound to at the time. And I know Aries would but he's in Iowa. And Aries, dear-heart, I'm not going to Iowa for a meet. That would just be too lame. "Let me take you on the tour! Okay, if you look out to your left there's a cornfield! And just past this is... another cornfield! How about that folks, who would have thought that? Ahaha... *uneasy laugh* On your right is... a pasture... um... with... cows..." laugh.gif

I have no idea about who else lives around here, whether they're old enough to really be useful in actual planning (hotels just LOVE age-limits), and whether they'd even WANT to. Maybe we would be better off just meeting up somewhere, although the sheer disorganization of that frightens me a bit. I'm sure we'll work it out.
gothictheysay
!!!!!

*lives an hour away from Chicago*

If you have plane worries, O'Hare is a huge airport with adjoining rental car physicilities. *wonders about hotel rooms* If anyone has any questions, ask. However, I'm fully aware that Chicago is just a possibility, but I'm here to help happy.gif anyway, the idea of someone as young as me going off with a bunch of young adults/adults probably wouldn't hold water anyway rolleyes.gif
The Lorax
I'm all the way out in Arizona....*bitter grumble* dry.gif so no one'll wanna come here...

But just in case, my background's like an amusement park and my mom owes me a party! *hopeful* rolleyes.gif And well there's lotsa fun stuff out here..but yes...don't mind the loner sad.gif
acid_rain_child
Lorax, don't you complain mad.gif Arizona is WC... you missed your chance.

*Still isn't bitter about never being able to see anyone*
MistressAlti
You know what, kids? Cool your heads about not seeing people, it's not the end of the world, and many of us have gone a year or more without ever meeting any other forumites. So chill, kay? Besides, there were parents who trekked out to the WC meet, maybe yours would too. Never know until you ask, hmm? Right then.

I thought this website was hilariously appropriate, considering the URL:
http://www.meetinchicago.com/
acid_rain_child
Sarah and I were just talking about his... about the whole parents thing. The conversation would go something like:

"Hey, Ma, I want to take a plane to Chicago so I can see some people I met over the internet. They're all older than me, and some may call them eccentric. Do you mind?"

Mom laughs at me.

rolleyes.gif Not gonna happen.
Aislinn Faye
I won't commit to anything until.. like. I know about what month it'll be... I'll have a car in October, dry.gif which is a long ways away... why can't we have an East Coast Meet.. say in.. wonderful beachy Florida? But uhh yeah, depending on the month, depends on if I'll go...'cause..I'll have no one to take me. Unless I want my boyfriendtaking me and seeing how weird I actually am. laugh.gif Oh and ARC, if we talk on the phone enough, maybe your mom will start to trust me and I can be your chaperone!! biggrin.gif Sakura's mom wants me to come and visit and I've never met her. ph34r.gif

EDIT: I don't think I've ever used four Smilies in one post. ph34r.gif five.
Tigersong
Wow. Like, seriously.

I would love to meet Missy and Aries and and and and.... I think this is a goodish idea muchly. Chicago sounds like an interesting idea... it would be interesting, with no host. I'm thinking Lo did a bang-up job with planning and hosting and such.

*bounces*

(Of course, I'm a cheapskate and the cost may be quite frightening to my budget. Mostly because I'm getting married in a year (*ouch*) and also my love is going to live half-way across the country starting in the fall. Plane tickets to Ottawa and such are bloody expensive.)

But let's start looking at options anyway.
MistressAlti
Geoff. Hon. If the choice is between us or your wedding, I mean, the choice is pretty obvious.

We're quite obviously the better choice. Duh. What are you thinking?!?! laugh.gif
EvilSpork
How about Marquette?! tongue.gif
Aislinn Faye
I do have a question... panties aren't gonna get twisted of underaged people smoke cigarettes are they? And if their parents are aware of the fact they smoke?
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Aislinn Faye @ Jul 13 2004, 09:28 PM)
I do have a question... panties aren't gonna get twisted of underaged people smoke cigarettes are they? And if their parents are aware of the fact they smoke?

I would assume that since the US police force has yet to start arresting kids for underage cigarette smoking, then no, it's not really a problem, so long as the underage people involved do not ask overage people to buy the cigarettes for them. As in, bring your own smokes, young'ins.
vicrawr
Another? *plot* Maybe I will get that slow dance I'm owed after all.
MistressAlti
Irish. Come see us. We're cool. cool.gif
Prince Aries
For the record, the place I live, Iowa City, is actually pretty happening. Tons of things to see and do there. I know we just got done with our recent kick ass Jazz Festival and then the Arts Festival. It *IS* a college town, but I too wish to find something a bit more central for everyone.

Geoff - True, those plane tickets are expensive....but one of trips you should drag her along and fly out this way instead. It's the ultimate. Duh, of course we're all uber important! I mean come on....it's *US*. The stories to be told from this excursion will be LEGENDARY.

Everyone - Missy and I discussed this tonight and we do need to think of times and such. Try to plan around everyone as much as possible. I know one idea that would be UNGODLY cool to do, but it would be hard for everyone. That would be New Year's Eve. I know it's highly unlikely, but it would be LEGENDARY and kick ungodly amounts of arse. Ponder that. But we do need to at least start thinking of a general time frame.
DarkProtector
QUOTE (Aislinn Faye @ Jul 13 2004, 11:28 PM)
I do have a question... panties aren't gonna get twisted of underaged people smoke cigarettes are they?  And if their parents are aware of the fact they smoke?

So long as it stays the hell away from me I'll be happy.

K

I'm a STAND queen.

and I'm 18 and could possibly borrow a car to go to chicago thus solving some of the problem I'll need gas money from all who ride with me though.
Tigersong
QUOTE (Prince Aries @ Jul 13 2004, 11:44 PM)
For the record, the place I live, Iowa City, is actually pretty happening.  Tons of things to see and do there.  I know we just got done with our recent kick ass Jazz Festival and then the Arts Festival.  It *IS* a college town, but I too wish to find something a bit more central for everyone.

Geoff - True, those plane tickets are expensive....but one of trips you should drag her along and fly out this way instead.  It's the ultimate.  Duh, of course we're all uber important!  I mean come on....it's *US*.  The stories to be told from this excursion will be LEGENDARY.

Everyone - Missy and I discussed this tonight and we do need to think of times and such.  Try to plan around everyone as much as possible.  I know one idea that would be UNGODLY cool to do, but it would be hard for everyone.  That would be New Year's Eve.  I know it's highly unlikely, but it would be LEGENDARY and kick ungodly amounts of arse.  Ponder that.  But we do need to at least start thinking of a general time frame.

That's two LEGENDARIES in one post.

Eeep.

</spam>

As for New Year's Eve -- that would be amazing, but as everyone's said, highly unlikely. I for one am usually dragged into family stuff around that time of year (especially dealing with TWO families now.... dry.gif smile.gif )Maybe some time in the early part of the New Year? Or would the weather in Chicago sucketh too much?
Prince Aries
The weather in Chicago doth sucketh very mucheth. However, for a rapid Canadian such as yourself, this will be mere child's play. Perhaps we could all engage in a friendly game of the greatest sport ever, CURLING!

*cough*

On a serious note, depending on how we get things arranged, how does it look for the great Tigersnog and company coming to our humble Meet? The more you bring with you the better of course, I would simply LOVE to meet Art. She's so ickle and fun.
MistressAlti
You're going to hate me for this, but being a slave of the university lifestyle, I have a very limited number of days off. Granted, I am not exactly opposed to taking a long weekend if I can find one, but considering I'm on scholarship, failure in order to take a trip is a bad (but still very slightly viable) idea.

So. I'm going to throw out some dates that I could definitely make, and if none of those look workable to teh great Aries and Tigersong, I'll just suck it up and skip a day of classes.

In 2005: Anytime before the 18th of January, or March 12-20, or after May 14th.

Yeah, I know, it sucks, and I don't expect people to work around me exclusively here.
Prince Aries
But at least dates are being mentioned. It gives us something to try and worth with. Which is a good thing, since I'm being so flexible about the whole deal. happy.gif

So far, I like those dates, but they're so far away and that makes me sad panda.
MistressAlti
Distance from now, date-wise, is probably a good thing if we want to have this thing put-together solidly. Haphazard planning will sink this thing faster than the Titanic. We need time to know what we're doing and to give everyone else time to ask time off and scrounge up money for plane tickets.
Phyllis
Hmmmmmmmmm.

You know. I might just have to come rescue the other two Angels from being all lonely without me. It would take me about 2 days to get to Chicago via Greyhound, and I'd only have to transfer once. Hmmmmm.

I'm thinking of surprising my hubby with a trip to NYC to see his family sometime in early June, but I could more than likely afford that and one meet. I was originally thinking that we could just stop in Chicago for a few days, then fly to NYC...but that'd require him taking too much time off from work. But I could go Greyhound by myself out there for a couple of days. For me, it really depends on when it is...and whether or not a meet closer to me gets planned before then. I do have summer school to contend with next summer since I missed winter semester this year. Blegh. So, I'm going to say a very, very tentative maybe. Mid-June would probably be best for me...but don't plan around me at all because if another meet pops up closer to me...sorry guys but I'll go to that one. The less time spent in a bus, the better. blink.gif
ravein
I can pretty much do it any time.. just not around holidays..
MistressAlti
Ice Ice Baby! You have to cooooooooome. We have to pose Angel-style and take pictures! And I've already promised Aries all sorts of other impressions and I know you wouldn't want to miss that! biggrin.gif
PsychWardMike
I'm in New Jersey. If anything's going around there, I'll be sure to come... if you'll have me.
PsychWardMike
And I mean pretty much anywhere on the East Coast.
Tigersong
HOLYFLURKINGSCHNITOMGLOL!!!111oneoneone

I just discovered there are very cheap flights to Chicago. This maketh me happy muchly. This also increases my chances greatly of comming to a Central meet, especially were it held in the Chicago area. I know, we haven't got anything solidified... but!

*bounces* Oh Em Gee!
Prince Aries
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jul 14 2004, 06:34 PM)
Ice Ice Baby! You have to cooooooooome. We have to pose Angel-style and take pictures! And I've already promised Aries all sorts of other impressions and I know you wouldn't want to miss that! biggrin.gif

Indeed she has. Besides...you don't want to miss out on the Mistress Alti Burlesque Lap Dance Show, do you?

Geoff - Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! That's all I can say. Just...yaaaaaaaaaaaay! Because of that, I would honestly like to push to have it in Chicago to make it easier for our Canadian brethren. I was thinking Chicago anyway. *is excited*
Aislinn Faye
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jul 14 2004, 07:31 PM)
In 2005: March 12-20, or after May 14th.

I like those dates, granted they are far away, but it gives those of us who are poor time to save, and time to turn 18 tongue.gif. I like the March dates the best, because, in May, I have finals.
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Aislinn Faye @ Jul 15 2004, 10:48 AM)
QUOTE (MistressAlti @ Jul 14 2004, 07:31 PM)
In 2005: March 12-20, or after May 14th.

I like those dates, granted they are far away, but it gives those of us who are poor time to save, and time to turn 18 tongue.gif. I like the March dates the best, because, in May, I have finals.

I heart the March dates the most myself, actually, seeing as anything in May would require me to ask off time from whatever summer job I'd be holding. And if I'm going to be traveling, the idea is to recoup my financial losses later. But May (or any time all summer, really) is okay enough for me.
Prince Aries
I hate to admit it, but the March dates sound good to me too. Spring would just be getting going, so the winter would (hopefully) be subsiding.....gives us time to plan and save...I like it. I hate to say it because its so far off, but I need to buckle down and deal with it.

EDIT: Ok, Missy and I were talking about this and I keep forgetting to bring this up.

We've decided that if we can convince one of the forumites from the UK to make it over here for our Meet, then we will officially be gods. Seriously. Besides...there's quite a large number of them I would like to meet (maybe I should go over there? Might work out better...working on it!) Anyway, just throwing the idea out.

Make Missy and Aries Dieties! Come to America!
Aislinn Faye
Don't be sad about it being so far away... just think.. booking plane tickets and hotels are tons cheaper if you do it in advance. You might even get booted to first class if you're taking a plane. wink.gif

Oh.. and just for the record, I know it's kinda early, but since it's leaning twds March, I'd be able to do a pick-up or two on the east coast, since I live in Florida.
DarkProtector
I have an idea why don't we all choose a city to research and we then give it to a chair/leader who compiles a list of all of the fun stuff and then post that followed by a city selection.
We can do dates later when we all have our schedules down.

Good Idea?
Polocrunch
Why don't you take a vote on that?

Good idea?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.