Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: An Idea To Mull Over... ( Central US Meet )
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Prince Aries
The decision on where we go is a mutual decision that we all try and agree upon. And it's really starting to sound like Chicago is going to be it. That's just my current view of the situation. It just seems to WORK for more people.

And as far as organization goes, that will be done by myself and MistressAlti. Calling hotels, finding fun places to go, etc etc. I bet she can haggle with the best of them. happy.gif

Since a lot of us are talking Chicago, has anyone been there? I've been there once, but it was a school trip soooo......

I got to see Planet Hollywood's gift shop, as well as Hard Rock Cafe's. Exciting. There was also that museum of science or art or some such as that. I wasn't paying attention.

So Chicago...what kind of things can we do there? I'll do some searching around and look around but if anyone's been there, fire away some suggestions. If anyone else has any other city suggestions, try and tell us WHY, location aside. We're looking for things to do, we're a fun group of people and we need an uber 1337 city to par-tay har-tay in. Suggestions. Roll 'em in, line 'em up.
Tigersong
QUOTE (Prince Aries @ Jul 16 2004, 05:26 PM)
The decision on where we go is a mutual decision that we all try and agree upon. And it's really starting to sound like Chicago is going to be it. That's just my current view of the situation. It just seems to WORK for more people.

And as far as organization goes, that will be done by myself and MistressAlti. Calling hotels, finding fun places to go, etc etc. I bet she can haggle with the best of them. happy.gif

Since a lot of us are talking Chicago, has anyone been there? I've been there once, but it was a school trip soooo......

I got to see Planet Hollywood's gift shop, as well as Hard Rock Cafe's. Exciting. There was also that museum of science or art or some such as that. I wasn't paying attention.

So Chicago...what kind of things can we do there? I'll do some searching around and look around but if anyone's been there, fire away some suggestions. If anyone else has any other city suggestions, try and tell us WHY, location aside. We're looking for things to do, we're a fun group of people and we need an uber 1337 city to par-tay har-tay in. Suggestions. Roll 'em in, line 'em up.

Thanks, Aries and Missy. You guys are the best. I'd help out if I could, but you know how wishy-washy I am. Once you've got dates and stuff nailed down, and I stop being such a "I-can-I-can't" annoying ASW, I'll help out as best I can.

Chicago has some really amazing art galleries, if Artemesia is to be believed. She was there only recently, so I'll get her to post on here. If my dear Art can come with, however, all she'll want to *do* is spend hours... and hours... and hours... and hours... looking at the art. biggrin.gif
gothictheysay
Yes, there are some very nice art galleries, as well as the Sears Tower, and there's Lake Michigan too! The best place to go to enjoy Lake Michigan is Navy Pier, which is like a big carnival. They have a giant ferris wheel. biggrin.gif I would be overjoyed if it were going to be Chicago...that really ups my chances of being able to go happy.gif
Patient #212
I would be thrilled to come to a Central US Matameet. smile.gif And Chicago isn't such a long way from southern Ohio, so it's quite possible. My one little problem is that, well, no one here knows who I am. Perhaps if I posted more, I could remedy that...
Aislinn Faye
Aww.. but that's the whole point of these things.. to get to know those to talk to even more, and those you don't a chance to meet them biggrin.gif
Rattgirl
..as the soon-to-be next-door-neighbor of our illustrous Aries (who is the man they call...Aries....?) I can say that without a doubt, I WILL be able to attend this meet! *snicker snicker*

And since I've been gone for who-knows-how-long (computer still in coma....but at least the library reopened so I can get online again!) I know my opinion holds ever so much weight here. Truly! So...I do have some suggestions and some attempts at swaying the hearts and minds of the populace.

First....Chicago would definitely be way cool...I've only been there once, in 1998, to go to a concert and be touristy for a weekend, but it was fun. If we do go to Chi-town, we should stay at the HoJo downtown and EVERYONE MUST EAT AT ED DEBEVOKS!!!!!! *ahem* Anyway...

Other suggestions, as alternates to Chicago (and I know others have made these suggestions, I'm just putting in my vote, limited as it is) I'd like to suggest:

1) St. Louis, MO...lots of little towns nearby with very cheap hotels, and cool things to see in St. Louie!
2) Omaha, NE...the Central US's most awesomest zoo ever! How can anyone resist the urge to see the polar bears and badgers? And flamingoes! And pengies! And pandas! I mean, seriously, how many animals must I name? hehe
3) Iowa City, IA...Yes, I know. But contrary to popular belief, there are more things to do here than just Aries, JadeS and Rattgirl! wink.gif muahahahaha...we have the best downtown bar setup anyone could ask for (at least, in terms of "how far do we have to go to get to the next bar? Next door? Niiiiice..." but also we have jazz bars, dance bars, piano bars (literally..one is called The Piano Bar), a great gay bar...all within 5 blocks of each other!) We're also within a half-hour drive of Cedar Rapids, which has more cool things to do. There's the Mall (yeah yeah shaddup! I like malls. They're interesting), the brand new pool (complete with waterslides! Coralvilletopia?) lots of parks, Shakespeare on the Green, and the Ped Mall!
4) Ok, I guess Kansas City, MO too...we could get a group discount on going to Worlds of Fun happy.gif.

anyway, that's my 15 cents' worth. Now the computer is going to boot me off for I have done other things and wasted my 45-minute limit. Grrrr. Stupid timed computers.
Prince Aries
Yeah, what she said.

I do know the idea has been kicked around of combining this Central Meet with a forthcoming West Coast. Personally, I would *LOVE* to do that, but I'm not sure how much of an option that is going to be for me, but it's something I will definitely consider and all that jazz.

For those that don't know, the idea was being thrown around of merging this Meet with a new West Coast Meet, somewhere say, Boise. I'm not sure how serious that idea was or if it's still a consideration, but I definitely think it's something we can discuss. Personally, I like the cities suggested above by Rattgirl, though a merging Meet *WOULD* provide access to a lot of people I would simply adore to see. So I'm kind of in the middle here on what I want to do.
DarkProtector
Hey I have a cottage near Mackinaw city if you want to got there.
monkey_called_narth
heh... merging wopuld open up some people and shut others down... i wouldnt be able to go... for one... its a 6 hour drive just to branson... sad.gif and i dont think my car could survive that... let alone boise... but you guys decide... and ill try to be there... *prays for branson or chicago*
Prince Aries
*gathers his spell components for a massive Mordenkainen's Bump of Infinite Yayness*

YO! We still wanting to do this? laugh.gif biggrin.gif

I've been keeping my ears open for anything that I think might prove enjoyable to us, but since I live quite the sheltered life with no internet, I'm far from edu-ma-cated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.