Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alright So...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
EvilSpork
I built myself a little computer to install Linux on just to test some things...

Problem is it stops booting up when it starts detecting hardware (when you can enter the bios) so I can't even get it to the point to boot up the Linux CD. I've been tinkering with this computer for a while and it turned out it needed a new hard drive so now that the new hard drive is in this problem came up.

The other HDD won't let anything install to it (not even Corel Linux which is completely fool proof...) while this one (brand new Seagate) won't let it past hardware detection.

I've messed with jumpers, I've changed bios options... Did pretty much everything I could think of (and that's quite a range of things, I think) and I just can't figure it out. I doubt it's the HDD this time...
Mr Fuzzy
Have a crack at setting your hard drive jumpers to the cable select position, and sticking the primary on the black connector. ATA100/UDMA5 drives which use the 80 conductor cable should be set that way, and it may sort you out. If it doesn't I suspect you may have a blown IDE controller.
EvilSpork
Alright, here's what I'm going to try.

[:] [:] : [:]

Then it will limit capacity (which might help with the older processor and devices) then make the slave work with the notn ATA compatible as well as making it the master drive (and I checked this and it's confirmed with the Seagate site.)

EDIT - And the update is my way worked because I had the jumper set the way you mentioned before hand smile.gif But thanks for trying eh?
Mr Fuzzy
Hmm. If the slave drive isn't ATA100 I'd strongly suggest putting it on the secondary channel so that the newer Seagate affair will be able to work at full speed. It's also a good idea to have them on separate channels anyway because transfer between drives on the same channel is pretty woeful.
EvilSpork
Well, it doesn't work without the lower capacity jumper in. It doesn't actually change the size, it just makes the boot read it at smaller so the older hardware I have in the box can actually detect it.

It's detecting it now so that's all I needed really.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.