Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Met John Kerry...
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > The Issues Forum
Pages: 1, 2
Righteous
One thing I dislike about the south is that so many folks are all gung-ho about God, the country and the sick idea that they somehow intertwine. The pledge is heavily enforced in schools and if you don't do it, you're a terrorist who worships Satan and probably listen to that God-forsaken rock 'n' roll music. My homeroom teacher in eleventh grade didn't care. He'd be doing his thing at his desk when the announcements came on (though we usually just watched TV). My homeroom teacher senior year cared, though during the pledge I usually leaned against the wall and listened to my CD player.
MistressAlti
I just thought of this, that I haven't been in a public K-12 learning institution in the US since 9/11 happened, which was during my sophomore year. I have no idea how patriotism in schools might have changed since the Patriot Act started up. Or how it changed after the "under God" court challenge either, for that matter.
ravein
me and a assistant principle had this conversation not to long ago. I think it is by state and county( he are in the south as well). In my county high school students are not required to say the pledge at all and the only time the school is required to say the pledge is when we have games, assemblies, etc.. Even then you only pledge if you want to.
Baron
QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 16 2004, 04:10 PM)
Actually I'm not sure if people vote for the person that they can most identify with, considering that since television became popular 10 of the 12 US presidential elections have been won by the taller candidate. Kerry is 6'5" and so stands a good chance... That said though, Bush is one of the two that got into office while being shorter. However, he also appears to have got less votes than his opponent, so the only blip in this trend is Jimmy Carter.

Hmm...I wonder how much of this election is going to be influenced by botox...

Well, I guess it was pretty stupid, looking back. Now that I have a four-day barrier between me now and me then.

I wonder if I'm being equated with the "Under God" part of the Pledge of Allegience. I never said I thought that belongs there. Freedom of Religion is so very, very important. It's so important that everyone should practice it. Everyone should try and visit a churches, mosques, shrines, temples, (what are the Jewish gathering places called again?), or whatever-have-you.

And I would love the idea of a Jewish President. (Jews wrote three quarters of my favorite book...) As long as he didn't use his religion as a political tool, something, which I really, really hate. Look at some of the examples here...

Catholics Against Kerry

Homework time. Some books you should read about ethics and philosophy...

Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand (second-most influential book in America)

Ecclesiasticus (Book of Sirach), by Joshua ben Sirach (found in the Apocrypha)
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Baron @ Aug 17 2004, 10:37 PM)
Everyone should try and visit a churches, mosques, shrines, temples, (what are the Jewish gathering places called again?), or whatever-have-you.

They're called synagogues.
gothictheysay
I wonder if I'm being equated with the "Under God" part of the Pledge of Allegience.

Don't worry, not at all...I made a little reference and the thread just curved with a different direction...by now we're almost on other topic, hehe, and you aren't being equated with anything.
Righteous
Well, I guess it was pretty stupid, looking back. Now that I have a four-day barrier between me now and me then.

It takes a noble guy to admit that he's the idiot. I, unfortunately, find myself doing it a lot.

And you do know that Rand was an atheist, right? I'm into her stuff, but that's one thing you have to keep in mind. She was mad into keeping religion out of politics and aginst collectivism (grrr). That's why I like her. Honestly though, I don't see what Atlas Shrugged has to do with the Apocrypha, Catholicism or John Kerry.
Baron
Anytime I recommend a book to someone, I also make a plug for Ayn Rand.
Righteous
Makes sense.
Spacehappy
From the perspective of Mr Kerry and his protective guards you most likely appeared to be a religious fanatic, and I can imagine that a very sound policy during an election campaign would be to avoid such people. The agent was probably appearing to be friendly and sympathetic because that's a more effective way of confronting a fanatic than directly forcing them to stop their actions. He did his job and you appear to have fallen 100% for this tactic.

You beat me to it Mata, Baron where as you thought confronting Kerry was a good idea (i think it's great you had the chance and the gumption to do it). You would have come off in my books if i was in his postion as a nut. Reading some of your posts in this thread you take your faith seriously, but some might scream fanatasicm, it's all to do with perception and these guy's are trained to spot people who potentially scream "Nutter" with every fibre of their body.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.