Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Computer Upgrade-y Fun!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
CommieBastard
Okay, for this I need geeks. And not just any geeks: PC gamer geeks.

I need to upgrade this computer. Mainly, I need a new graphics card - I get graphics card errors when I try to run demos of the latest games. The current one is an Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX 400. Recommendations as to which new card I should get?

Also, I've been told that I'd need to upgrade my processor (AMD 1312 Mhz) because it would bottleneck the new card, and that this in turn would mean I would have to get a new motherboard.
Greeneyes
Sorry to budge in on your thread Commie, but I'm also in need of a graphics card. I think it was Furry that said he had a Radeon 9800 Pro, which I'm looking at currently. According to Aria it's the fastest currently available, which is nice to know. Mine'll be on an AthlonXp3200. Again, sorry about barging in, but there didn't seem much point in making a seperate thread.
DarkInferno
Depends 'ow much you wanna pay... innit'

I'm gonna be buying a new card in a few... i'm looking at a 5900XT... decent price (~£160)... its supposed to overclock pretty well and has some nifty features..

hrm...9800 Pro...pretty damn nippy...but could do with a better cooling solution...(you can pick em up for £150 nowadays if not less) overclocks ok (better with improved hs/fan)...£50quid buys the Xtreme Edition heatsink.. can was say overclock?... lol

but those are mid range boards... you can get fairly fast budget boards... and blindingly fast higher end cards... thou not as good value for money...
Alanity
In the remotely sane price range, nothing's going to be a better choice than a radeon 9800pro if you can find one (make sure it's the right type, their naming system is horrible and you could end up with one with crippled memory), out of the current gen cards, the geforce 6800gt looks to be the best choice at the moment, should keep up ok with the competition in games like Far cry and Halflife 2, and seems to be much better in Doom 3.
As for other specs, go for an athlon64 setup (one of the lower/middle models, the higher end gets ridiculously expensive and doesn't seem to be worth it) and at least 512megs of ram (you may benifit from a gig but I'm not sure about that).
Greeneyes
QUOTE (DarkInferno @ Aug 17 2004, 07:04 PM)
hrm...9800 Pro...pretty damn nippy...but could do with a better cooling solution...(you can pick em up for £150 nowadays if not less) overclocks ok (better with improved hs/fan)...£50quid buys the Xtreme Edition heatsink.. can was say overclock?... lol

There's a version called the IceQ which apparently sorts out the cooling problem, or at least improves it. I'm probably getting this unless someone, or something gives me a reason not to. Opinions?

QUOTE (Alanity @ Aug 18 2004, 10:59 AM)
make sure it's the right type, their naming system is horrible and you could end up with one with crippled memory

What do you mean by the right type?

Thanks.
DarkInferno
that there is what is technically known as a 'bloody large' heatsink
EvilSpork
It really depends.

Right now I'm running a GeForce 4 TI 4200 256 MB, and am looking to upgrade, I'd be willing to sell this off for a bit of money once I get a new card, it still runs the better games, but I'm completely upgrading my computer so I'll have a few things spare if you like to buy 'em off of me..

But if you want a new card and now (because I don't have money to upgrade yet) and have the money, go with a GeForce FX 5200, it's got a lot of bang for the buck. It will run the games, and it's not too expensive.

Or you could go ahead and shell out some more money and get a high end Radeon or something.
DarkInferno
you can get that arctic cooler of the HIS card for about a tenner... so don't feel tied down to that version of the graphics card... (unless you want to of course)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.