Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Educating Tara
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Tarantio
Here comes Tara!

Good news all, Tara has been accepted by Abertay University, Dundee, for a place on a course in Computer Games Technology. After phoning their clearing hotline only half an hour ago to check on course availablity, I was accepted on the spot for a place, and am now finding it hard to type straight so jittery with excitement am I. The course begins in September, so everyone offer up a prayer to whichever god you believe in that his SAAS application gets through on time, hence sorting out the finance side of things.

Updates possibly to follow, but perhaps one of the best peices of news is that I will soon have permanent intertnet access (hopefully) and hence be able to annoy all you lot for longer periods of time.

Huzzah!
LoLo
Yay Tara! **personally can't wait to be annoyed by Tara again** lol

Good luck with your new school and financial aid.
MistressAlti
Sounds like good fun, yay for you! And constant internet access: all Dace, all the time. Scary.
Tarantio
<spam>

lmao @ missy's av.

I can make it on my own...
Cath Sparrow
Cool! Nice one much pleasedness for you!
Look forward to seeing you round more! biggrin.gif
MistressAlti
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Aug 18 2004, 12:15 PM)
<spam>

lmao @ missy's av.

I can make it on my own...

"I'm gonna be a quarterback when I grow up.
I'm gonna throw for two-thousand yards!"

*wails* Wah-ho-ho... L'il Budder... it's like I said... the heart of a champion.
Sir Psycho Sexy
You going for the student loan thing? If so you might be in trouble, I sent my application off ages ago and still no word.... thing is they're transfering over to a new system and its causing all sorts of delays, its a pain in the arse to be honest, I'm starting to think I filled out the form wrong....or forgot to put something in with it....bugger them!!!
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
I'm having the same problem with my student loan, granted I sent it back 2 months after the deadline but that was still back in June and I ain't heard a peep from them!
Good luck and congrats on your place.
Phyllis
Eeee! Good luck, Davey Crockett! happy.gif

I hope everything turns out well. smile.gif
Tarantio
QUOTE (snoo @ Aug 18 2004, 07:20 PM)
I'm having the same problem with my student loan, granted I sent it back 2 months after the deadline but that was still back in June and I ain't heard a peep from them!
Good luck and congrats on your place.

I have heard as much as they are having similar problems as last year, but there isnt really much i can do other than just apply as early as possible and hound them until i get the money. SAAS are fairly mixed up over the whole thing, but i should be alright in the end.
Mata
Fantastic, that sounds like a really exciting course to be on. Nice one!
Tarantio
cheers, big yin wink.gif Couldn't really have managed it without your inspiration. Which means years from now, yer gonna have a whole heap to answer for!
Jaq
Cool! way to go tara. Sounds like a really nifty keen course. biggrin.gif
Tarantio
<spam>

/me wallows in admiration and support

biggrin.gif
mooooooooooopo
Good luck oh Tara-esque one.

*is jealous cos he chose a boring plain Computer Science course*
Faerieryn
Student loans are Bu££ered its official! But off that point WAY TO GO TARA!!!!!!!!!!
Mr Fuzzy
Remember T, don't let the lasses know what course you're doing until you've been talking to them for a while. Either that or go in all guns blazing and tell them you plan to make girly games...
helicopter pilot
congratulations! go you! yay! student loans suck though sad.gif but once it gets big enough you will forget all about it! and tell all the lasses what course you are in. often. it's a great choice.
Jonman
QUOTE (Mr Fuzzy @ Aug 19 2004, 12:14 PM)
Remember T, don't let the lasses know what course you're doing until you've been talking to them for a while. Either that or go in all guns blazing and tell them you plan to make girly games...

"yeah, I'm working on a design brief for 'Shopping for a Pony's Hairdo, starring Barbie and Busted'. Wait, wait, come back!"
Tarantio
further good news: My (and your) best friend HateMachina aka David (too) has also just been accepted for a course in psychology...

... at abertay university, dundee! which means we're gonna go stay in the same halls and everything, so Tara doesnt need to be lonely

Huzzah!
TehRoxxorCOD
If you are a Video Game designer, that means I must now do homage to you and call you My Lord and Master. blink.gif *bows very low*
Mata
Pass on my congrats to HateM., degrees are always useful, in any subject at all... Although Psychology is generally viewed as being one of the more tricky ones to apply to get a job with.

My brother has a psych degree. He's now a DJ in London.
Jonman
QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 25 2004, 06:27 PM)
Pass on my congrats to HateM., degrees are always useful, in any subject at all... Although Psychology is generally viewed as being one of the more tricky ones to apply to get a job with.

Ah, but he understands what the crowd are thinking while he's DJ'ing, and more importantly, why they're thinking it.
Tarantio
Hey hey hey! I'm on the inside now, and this is an update from the fastest internet connection you, I, or anyone else is likely to use in the next few years at least. Go Abertay Library!

Well anyway, just thought I should let you know how I was doing so far, since its been far too long since i've been around at all. My move went off without a hitch so far, and all my flatmates are pretty cool, except for one git who didn't make it *coughahemHateMachina* and instead decided to move to sweden to live. Git. So i'm stuck up here more or less on my own, but things are going rather nicely. Still not got my loan money in yet, unfortunately, but its in progress as we speak. I hope. Been out drinking or whoring almost every night so far too, to great success, but I wont be one to kiss and tell, at least not yet anyway, though I will keep you all posted for any exciting updates. Won't be able to chat until I get my own connection, which might not be until next year or so (the halls don't have phone lines at all), but my e-mail and my blog (see below) are open for messages and comments if you guys wanna talk to me, and of course I'll be checking up on all of you as often as I can. Might be busy a lot of the time, but I'll try and stay in touch.

So, wish Dace and I luck for the next four years, now that we're settled in for a bit of heads-down hard work and the likes. Cya all when I can, hopefully at the next meet, whenever that's gonna be...
Pixelgoth
QUOTE (Mata @ Aug 26 2004, 01:27 AM)

Yes and I'm an office manager in a publishing company with a degree in Ancient History and Archaeology.

I did my disseration on illuminated manuscripts (for those that need an idea of what I'm talking about tongue.gif) and the evidence of scryptorium in monasteries so I guess I have done something "book" related laugh.gif

Well done Tara. I want to be a character in one of your computer games when you're rich and famous biggrin.gif
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
Hey Tara!

Glad your settled in ok, hope you keep on enjoying it smile.gif

It's a bit odd for the halls not to have any phones, and annoying I should imagine!
Tarantio
Yeah, well they're meant to have a payphone in every hall, and we have a guy who spent a while living in new jersey who says that it's odd that they don't have full cable internet as standard, but this is cheap old scotland we're talking about here, so its not all roses and perfumes like the damn cushy US have. Anyway, I have to run already... took almost quarter of an hour to get logged on and now I'm going to be late meeting my mate... again. Need to rush off, but I'll be back as soon as I can.
Cath Sparrow
Glad it's going well for you! and Pah to the lack of phone connection!
mooooooooooopo
The key to success is to sneakily install a wireless access point somewhere with a fast connection and line of sight to your room. Then buy some stupidly powerful antennae for your wireless card and the access point.

Regular patrols my be needed to clean up the dead pigeons that will accumulate beneath the path of your wireless signal (make sure you use a directional antenna smile.gif ). These can be sold to your local fast food restaraunt for a tidy bit of profit on the side, as is charging your flatmates for access (change the encryption key monthly to keep people paying those subscriptions).
Tarantio
DACE LIKES YOUR THINKING.

ESPECIALLY THE PART ABOUT THE PIDGEONS.

I had thought of getting wireless net, but the hardware is a little beyond my spending power, and I'm not sure how good a signal I would get in Dundee, especially as far out as the suburbs. Then there's the fact that everything I do would be at the mercy of the weather, and since it's something thats a bit touch and go, especially in Autumn/winter (spring/summer too...), I'm not too keen on the idea to be frank. Still, I can usually get on the forums and my mail (though my official abertay webmail doesn't seem to want to work just yet) without too much bother at the Library. Its a bit of a waste of such great internet, though, as the PC's are all really slow. Takes almost five minutes just to log on sometimes, and it seems to vary wildly from terminal to terminal. Still, its free, so who am I to complain? Plus I'm on the only course in the uni that allows you to borrow computer games from the library smile.gif
Tarantio
Yikes. I start today in forty minutes with my very first lecture ever: maths...

Feeling a bit nervous, as well as tremendously excited. Say a prayer that I remember it all from three years ago, eh?
Cath Sparrow
How'd it go?
Tarantio
Not too bad actually. Most of what we're doing in first year Maths is revision, with only a few new things geared specifically towards dynamics of objects in motion. All my practical classes have been cancelled today, which means my longest day of the week (nine til five with only 1 and a half hours break in between) is totally dead, though we still had maths first thing in the morning. Ugh. Horrendous. But then, you can't really complain when things appear to be going to be fairly easy for the whole first year.

Oh yeah, also, since I get tuesdays off all year, I figured on Monday night that it would be alright to go out and get totally drunk, so we found a party in our flats and attended. I think I must have had a few too many vodkas, because we all got thrown out at some point, staggered to another flat where we proceeded to watch Transformers: the Movie (bliss) and some Billy Connolly (sheer bliss), then a girl called Louise and I ended up going out for food and staying up til eight the next morning. Needless to say, yesterday was not a very pleasant experience. There wern't enough painkillers in the world. wink.gif
Tarantio
Hurrah for updatatron!

Just though I should let all the lonely people on the forums know that I have a date today with aforementioned Louise. We're going to the cinema to see Dodgeball, then might go out for dinner afterwards, then we're heading back to my flat for the party we're having there tonight. Or something like that. Tara = happy.
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
woo! yay for you!
I saw it on Friday and was a little bit hyper and yelled "yay lumberjacks" quite loudly oops unsure.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Oct 3 2004, 07:34 AM)
Hurrah for updatatron!

Just though I should let all the lonely people on the forums know that I have a date today with aforementioned Louise. We're going to the cinema to see Dodgeball, then might go out for dinner afterwards, then we're heading back to my flat for the party we're having there tonight. Or something like that. Tara = happy.

I hope that your date went/goes well! Don't forget to tell us the details. lol
Tarantio
weeeeeeeeeel..... updatatron says that the date didn't go. period (full stop). It got put back til later today. And now it's been put back til later tomorrow, though I might still see her tonight, maybe, if she gets out of Taekwondo early enough, and isn't worn out after all that stretching (which, I'm reliably informed, is what the martial art consists of in general). Tara's happiness is on an indefinite hold for now... I would show you some of the art that I've been doing in the meantime, but I cant be bothered going through the rigmarol of uploading it and everything, since there are no easily accessible scanners around, and I don't have a webpage to put them up on or anything, but mainly just coz I'm lazy. Unlike me, huh?
Tarantio
Well then, here I am again wasting Mata's good bandwidth with unneccessarily boring updates on my life. Only this time interesting stuff has actually happened! Shock! Horror! (Marvel at the amazing SPECIAL EFFECTS!!!) Huzzah!

BEFORE HE CONTINUES, I WOULD LIKE TO DISASSOCIATE MYSELF WITH ANY FURTHER HAPPENINGS. I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING, NOR WILL I INVOLVE MYSELF AT ANY POINT. THE MAN IS A SAP, A CAD AND A ROMANTIC FOOL. HE WILL MEET A BAD END ANY DAY SOON, AND I WANT TO BE AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE WHEN IT HAPPENS. THERE, NOW I'M DONE.

Anyway, Dace's protests aside, I thought I should let u all know that the date did eventually happen last night, and it was a great success, though I was all nerves for most of the first half of it, at least until the movie actually started (we went to see dodgeball at the local cinema). Had fun at the film, then just travelled straight back to the flats and gave her her flowers, said goodnight and arranged another date. Tonight I'm cooking dinner at my flat (after making sure all my flatmates are gonna be cleared out) for two, with about 120 candles, a £10 bottle of wine and - my final touch - strawberries for dessert! Hurrah!

Anyway, need to go, lecturer has turned up.
Cath Sparrow
Aaaww! this is to cute!!!
Good to here things are going well for you. Good luck with the cooking.

*waiting on tender hook for next update*
LoLo
That is so sweet. I hope you have a grand time on this upcoming date as well. Why don't they make men like you in America? laugh.gif
Tarantio
They don't make men like me anywhere, lo wink.gif

Anyway, since u all just need to know more, dinner last night couldn't have gone better if God himself had turned up and blessed the thing. Everything went off without a hitch - except that the starter went out the window due to her being allergic to melon... The food was cooked perfectly, the wine was delicious, the candles were just great and even the music I put on was a success. So now we're going out, officially, after much soul-searching last night. I don't really know what else to say - I still feel really weird about it all. I actually have a girlfriend now! woo! go me! Needless to say this is a very good time to be Tara. biggrin.gif
LoLo
QUOTE (Tarantio @ Oct 7 2004, 07:23 AM)
They don't make men like me anywhere, lo wink.gif

Yeah I guess they broke the mold when they made you. tongue.gif

I'm really happy for you and I'm glad your dinner went so well last night.
Cath Sparrow
Aaawww! Great. Much pleasedness for you. So enjoy being Tara at the moment. biggrin.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Cath @ Oct 6 2004, 01:15 PM)

Far be it from me to criticise, ol' mentor mine, but I beleive the phrase is: On Tenter hooks...

There are no such things as 'Tender' hooks... Trust me on this one... *ouch* laugh.gif
Quoth(The Raven)
Seriously though, I've enjoyed this thread, immensely... Here's to living vicariously... laugh.gif I hope things continue to go well for you...
Cath Sparrow
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Oct 14 2004, 02:16 AM)

Far be it from me to criticise, ol' mentor mine, but I beleive the phrase is: On Tenter hooks...

There are no such things as 'Tender' hooks... Trust me on this one... *ouch* laugh.gif

Well I've alway known it as tender hooks! So whats a tenter hookand how can you wait on one?

Oi! More updateage!!!
Quoth(The Raven)
QUOTE (Cath @ Oct 14 2004, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (Quoth(The Raven) @ Oct 14 2004, 02:16 AM)

Well I've alway known it as tender hooks! So whats a tenter hookand how can you wait on one?

Oi! More updateage!!!

Did some checking... We're both wrong... It's Tinter Hooks... basically, in the old days, they would dye cloth, and stretch it out to dry on hooks. If they didn't keep the fabric taut, some of the dye would rub off in some places, and darken others, resulting in a bad Dye lot... So, to be on Tinter's hooks means you're being held up under stress... Kinda like waiting breathlessly for the next update... cool.gif

Oh, and Tara... sorry for the spamage... but at least, we all learned something... laugh.gif
Tarantio
lol no problems, this is called "educating" tara, after all, and I didn't know that little tidbit of info. Updates, eh?

well heres a stinker: I'm dumped. sad.gif The poor lass felt overwelmed by all the attention she was getting and decided against getting into a relationship at all. She's a bit young, really, for that sort of thing, or so it would seem. So I say once more, LOOK OUT young female students! Tara is once more on the rampage!

WHICH IS A COMPLETE LIE, BECAUSE HE'S DONE NOTHING THIS WEEK BUT SULK AND TRY TO CHEER HIMSELF UP WITH CALCULUS. YES, ITS GOTTEN THAT BAD. SILLY SAUSAGE...
Cath Sparrow
Aaawww! Poor Tara obviously not good enough for you! *huge hugs*
We still love you. biggrin.gif
Tarantio
I'm actually not doing too badly, to be honest. I think I sorta saw it coming, or at least thats what I'll keep telling myself. In the meantime, we're still friends, and we still hang about with each other, and its not really very awkward at all, I just think we both got a little carried away...

Anyway, I'm here for four years, I'm sure I'll find someone else for me in that time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.