Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: School!
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Kitty
I have about another three weeks till school starts and I'm going crazy. 3 months of vacation from school is too much for my poor brain to handle! It needs the exerciiseee.... plus I spent half the previous school year trying to get into a specialty program at a school thats super far away from my house (I'll have to get up at 5:00 instead of 6:30 to catch the bus). And now I'm forced to wait three long months till I get to go to the stupid school! I've been waiting three years! I've wanted to go to the school for threee yeearrssss....

Oh its driving me nuts. I just wanted to know if anyone else is going crazy like I am. Anyone?
arpeggiodreams
School started on Monday for me. And someone decided that 7:30 in the morning would be a great time to offer THE ONLY BIOLOGY LAB. I am not amused.
gothictheysay
I sort of miss school. It starts in a week for me. I'll admit I've been bored of the summer, but I did enjoy the free time. However, waking up early (school starts at 7:20), homework, and dealing with a whole lot of people may not be very fun at all.
LoLo
My school started on Monday as well. I will say though that the break was far too long and even though I didn't get much time to relax I had way too much time to think and I needed to get back to school. The funny thing is yesterday was my second day back and I already didn't want to go to school.
Righteous
I'm looking foreward to university in about a week and a half. If nothing else, it'll get me out of the house more.
mooooooooooopo
I'm looking forward to university again, only another year and a month to go. I'm doing a work placement year at the moment. It started 3 weeks ago and already I'm missing the slackness of studentdom sad.gif. Even if it will be the third and final and hardest year when I go back its still gotta be better than this. (In otherwords a work placement proved my suspicion that work is bad bad bad and must be avoided at all costs!)
Marsyas
I moved back to my dorm on Tuesday morning, but my roommate isn't getting here until sometime later this afternoon or early evening, if not tomorrow morning some time. She has to get here pretty soon though since we have our first weekend of band camp this weekend.

Classes start on Monday. Starting at 9:10 for me with Foundations of Education. Good times...I'm ready for it to start back up. Not having to walk to class everyday has made me sort of slothful and addicted to Fritos.
Faerieryn
I have just finished four years at uni and now I'm counting the days until I go back to school!!!! MY first year as a secondary schol teacher starts in two weeks time and I can't wait!
Cath Sparrow
I miss Uni! But I have money now instead of lye in's so it a case of which would I rather sleeping in shool holidays or money, weekend's off and being able to afford to do stuff with that time off so I think I'll go for the job at the moment untill I'm good enough at what I do to become a Uni tutor then I'll get both!!!! tongue.gif
Kitty
Hehe, all of you are older than me. I'm just starting my freshman year. I agree that waking up early and dealing with stupid people (especially since I hate it when guys look at me. Makes me wanna bash their face in with a baseball bat *innocent smile*) and homework and all that cal wont be too fun. BUT ITS HIGHSCHOOL! Freshman year! And I'm going to learn German and get A+ and Cisco certified!!!

But now that you talk about it.... a university sounds like lots of fun too.... hehe
acid_rain_child
If I had my way we'd be in school all year long...

I don't want to go back to school, but school=friends, which is a pretty good deal. Like some of the others, I just wanna go back so it'll give me something to do; this summer's been mind numbingly uneventful and depressing. And this year my bus comes at 7:00 and not 6:45, score!

12 more days to read The Brothers Karamazov... I can do it.
Aria
I start my first year of university on September 7th. God help me, I'm gonna need it.

Just out of curiousity, anyone know how to speak Mandarin and do calculus? I think they're gonna be my two hardest classes.
Kitty
QUOTE (acid_rain_child @ Aug 19 2004, 05:47 PM)
12 more days to read The Brothers Karamazov... I can do it.

Thats my attitude!! Except I have three weeks.... hehe.... But I need to write a report. Stupid Great Expectations. How many pages do you have?

QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 19 2004, 09:58 PM)
I start my first year of university on September 7th. God help me, I'm gonna need it.

Just out of curiousity, anyone know how to speak Mandarin and do calculus? I think they're gonna be my two hardest classes.

Good luck tongue.gif I'd help with the math part if I was taking calculus yet.... I'm only in geometry though. Sorreh!
gothictheysay
100 more pages to read in this book and annotate about 150 pages in 6 days. Whoopee.
Righteous
Don't worry about high school, K!77y. Looking back, high school was nothing. University is where it's at. Consider the next four years as an ordeal which upon completion, you will be rewarded with the uncomparable university experience.
Phyllis
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 19 2004, 05:58 PM)

I don't speak Mandarin, but I did somehow manage to get an A in calculus. However, that was 4 years ago, and to this day I'm not really sure how I did it! I promptly forgot everything I ever learned in that class..lol. So that isn't much help to you....sorry. I did the same thing with Physics. I remember a bit from Chemistry...but Physics just...errgghhh.

School doesn't start for me until late September. But when it does, I'll be drawing naked people! ohmy.gif 5 men and 5 women. Not a big deal really...I've just never done it before. I'm also taking a course on Human Sexuality. It's going to be a kinky semester for me, it seems. My other two courses are mathy, so I figured some nudity was in order. biggrin.gif
Kitty
QUOTE (Righteous @ Aug 19 2004, 10:14 PM)
Don't worry about high school, K!77y. Looking back, high school was nothing. University is where it's at. Consider the next four years as an ordeal which upon completion, you will be rewarded with the uncomparable university experience.

Mmm, but you still gotta get good grades in highschool so you can gooo to a university! Hehe. Plus. I like having super good grades and doing all my work.... except for the annoyance at doing my work.... sometimes.

Stupid required reading.

QUOTE (candice @ Aug 19 2004, 10:26 PM)
QUOTE (Aria @ Aug 19 2004, 05:58 PM)

School doesn't start for me until late September. But when it does, I'll be drawing naked people! ohmy.gif 5 men and 5 women. Not a big deal really...I've just never done it before. I'm also taking a course on Human Sexuality. It's going to be a kinky semester for me, it seems. My other two courses are mathy, so I figured some nudity was in order. biggrin.gif

Heh, I was told that drawing naked people isnt that special. "Once you get to collage you wont be giggling about it anymore. Its all just natural"

o.0 I dun think thats entirely true.... *shrug*
Ashbless
Heading back to school in a week. It's a full time course that ends in February and is home-study for all but two classes. Meanwhile I'll still be working full time in order to support the luxuries. ( food and rent ) blink.gif
Anticipating that I'll be more than a trifle insane at the end of February. I'll be this workaholic, basement dwelling, antisocial hermit. ph34r.gif laugh.gif
Friends have threatened that they will take steps to prevent this.
Kitty
*laughs* I guess I should be major glad that I'm 14, living with my parents, and go to free public school....

I would like a job though. Do you like having a job? I guess you just sortah _need_ to have a job
acid_rain_child
Thats my attitude!! Except I have three weeks.... hehe.... But I need to write a report. Stupid Great Expectations. How many pages do you have?

Some 620... 11 more days. I also have to write 25 dialectical journals...

Okay, I'm soooo not gonna make it.
Kitty
Haha! Sure you are! You just need.... to stay.... focused.... and use ALL your time *laughs* Okay.... so maybe not. What grade are you going into? I guess you're older than me arent you? I'm 14, 9th grade.... weewoo

I spent 2 hours or so reading 25 pages in my book. Why do I read so friggin slow??? *annoyed*
markslut
*works so doesn't get school holidays off*
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
I start September 13th. I'm going into high school too, so I'm really excited, and really scared. I have to wake up extremely early, like 5 something, or 6 something in the morning, because I have to commute into Manhattan. It's a really good school though. I'd give the link, but the site is under construction.
Kitty
MANHATTAN?! I envy you. Envy envy. Once its finished can I have the linky?? ^___^ How far from manhattan do you live? I live about 15 miles from my school (seems much farther....)
I live about 10-15 miles away. It's hard because there's usually traffic, and the buses from my neighborhood stop only on 5th Avenue. I then have to get on a crosstown bus to Ninth Avenue, and those are some LONG blocks.
Kitty
*laughs* Jeez that sucks. Well, I dont know where in the world my bus stop is sopposed to be, it could be a half mile down the street or three miles the other way.... Stupid school system. They dont post the bus routs till.... a week or less before school starts. GRR!

Do you like living in NY? I use to have friends that live in the Bronx....
Sir Psycho Sexy
I have to say I'm looking forward to going back to university, its been a long summer and i'm looking forward to a good long rest....with the obligatory learning....of course >_>
Ashbless
Well, I went back to school yesterday and I'm already behind on the reading needed for tomorrow's class. Eeeeppp!
I refuse to claim responsibility for the one reading as the bookstore didn't have it in stock to get - let alone read. It's a module, aka professor produced, aka not available in the library. So whatdoyoudo, eh? Thankfully another text was in the the library so that eventhough I can't afford to buy my textbook till next week's payday I can still find out what the teacher wanted us to learn. I'm tempted to keep using library book but it's the wrong edition and the wrong country (produced in the states vs produced in canada) so makes following the helpful read pgs x to y really tricky. blink.gif smile.gif
And now, off to work. To answer a previous question - I do like my job but I don't want to do it the rest of my life or even for very much longer. Change, adapt, grow and keep the little grey cells alive. laugh.gif
Kitty
*laughs* Yay school! I think they make summers too long. Obligatory learning isnt so bad, till you get half way through the year tongue.gif Then I just tell myself "C'mon Kat! This is funnn!!!...." x.X; Being friends with teachers helps tongue.gif

I've never had problems with buying textbooks because mine are always provided for by the school. I just have to give them back in the same condition (sometimes they make you pay if its in bad condition. Usually only if they're brand new books)

As for work.... work sucks. I dont even work yet tongue.gif But changing jobs helps keep away restlessness! I would think so anyway
Ashbless
Work may suck but it is nice to have money. I started doing a paperroute at 12, saved my money and bought a car at 15. I also had enough for a really good stereo system for it. So, work's not so bad. tongue.gif
If you can figure out what you enjoy doing and pick a job that supports it then you'll also do well. I know a few people who found their niche and find they love going to work. They like the challenge of it, or what they do, or maybe the group they work with.

I'm sure school will go well. But yes, having to shell out hard earned cash for books you may only look at for one year is part of college/university. dry.gif On the flip side - you get to keep 'em. I've still got a cool textbook on perception (how we see the world) and how to muck with it. (comman illusions like the water mirage you can see on the road on a hot day or like why the moon is small high in the sky but large on the horizon) Usually you can sell back the books to the bookstore for some cash or to a used bookstore on campus. You don't get what you paid for them and some you can't sell back but at least some you can.
Otherwise they make good spider squishers, doorstops, furniture levelers, flower presses, and other various and sundry uses. Worse comes to worse most school libraries are happy to take 'em off your hands and you get a bit of good karma.
Gypsy
QUOTE (candice @ Aug 19 2004, 09:26 PM)
School doesn't start for me until late September. But when it does, I'll be drawing naked people! ohmy.gif  5 men and 5 women.  Not a big deal really...I've just never done it before.  I'm also taking a course on Human Sexuality.  It's going to be a kinky semester for me, it seems.  My other two courses are mathy, so I figured some nudity was in order.  biggrin.gif

That sounds like great fun! (When I was in figure drawing I was in a conservative Baptist Uni. We could only have clothed subjects.)

As for going back to school. I dont start till Oct. , lucky me unsure.gif
craziness
NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO SCHOOL! i dislike 75% iof the people there, and ive been having the summer of my life!!!!! 6 weeks of camp, and ive done something almost every day since i got home, im dreading school. plus my bus comes at 6 F--ING 30 IN THE MORNING! however, my parents are trying to arrange a carpool. unsure.gif i hope it works
Jaq
Meh. At least you guys don't have it like Korean kids. They have 7 week summer vacations (which aren't actually vacations because they're usually still going to their after school lessons in English or dance or music or tae kwon do or math or whatever) Then once they go back to school they go from monday to friday for about 7 hours for high school students (less for the younger kids) and about 4 hours on saturdays. They all wear uniforms and the vast majority of them go to private after school lessons every day of the week except the weekends. At their regular schools it's not unusual for their teachers to pinch or whack them or put them in uncomfortable positions (hands above their heads or kneeling on the ground).
helicopter pilot
oh you poor kids! my heart goes out to you and your having to get up so early!! when i was in high school, i didn't even think about getting out of bed before 8am! what time do your schools start to have to be up so early? also we never had any assignments or readings to do over summer. we only got 7 weeks though.

and i am starting to get excited about my uni year ending (about 9 weeks away) and my graduation! (start of december).
Kitty
HELP!

I have 8 days till school starts and I have a history project that I need to do and because I procrastinate at a very unhealty level, I'm stuck and in way over my head. I have to finish Great Expectations (I'm not yet half way through) And need to finish labeling bodies of water on 6 different political maps.... where the rivers arent drawn.... meh.

So the history project I need a bit of help with consists of finding one world event from a different region of the world. I need one from North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East, Asia, and Sub-Saharan Africa.... I'm not asking you to find world events for me, unless you want to. Just an idea on where to _find_ the world events since I dont have newspapers from the past three months.

*sigh* So.... any suggestions? Heh....
Gypsy
There are new headlines all over the web. In the last couple of wks theres been alot about the olympics in athens. World News From Yahoo! or A list of some online newspapers.... Not finding what your looking for? Try google... its all the rage wink.gif
Cassiel
*Sighs*I know I'm getting off subject of what you guys are talking about..but I am not looking forward to school...at all.
Kitty
Awsh, why no school likey? Usually its because of the people.... or you have uber bad luck with teachers. Nay?
Mutilation
I still have a few more days to sit around, occasionally play tennis (thanks Jonman) and wank. Hurray!
jicama
10 days ago i wrote my last exam ever. i'm all done with university. don't need no more book lurn'n and such. i enjoyed uni for the most part, but it'll be nice to not have to worry about homework or exams anymore. i just wish i could find a bloody job!
Kitty
Everyone seems to be having problems finding a job right now.... All over the world. Meh.
eleraama
Meh. I started HS... A junior (ick). To all the freshmen: hang in there and at all costs, don't look lost. That makes them angry.
Kitty
lol, why does looking lost make them angry?
deranged_ferret
I go back to school tomorrow. *freaks out* I'm not very good at the whole school malarkey (it's not so much that I find the lessons hard, more finding motivation to actually turn up). I don't have any friends in my school, which doesn't help too much, though I am hoping this year will be better than last year. I'm going into year 10 (not sure what that is in grades... ages 14 to 15) which means I'm starting my GCSEs and kinda rules out the option of skiving 20% of the time. Meh. I suppose I just have to try and get on with it.
TehRoxxorCOD
I've been in school for two weeks, there is so much more work Sophomore year than Freshman, it's incredible!
My orientation is next week... and I'm already losing sleep. I'm sure when September 13th rolls around, I'll be a exhausted, nauseous, scary person.
Kitty
Ah, I had my orientation today. It sucked and was stupid. They shuffled us around school and were like blah blah Science hallway math hallway everything else downstairs COMMONS! ENCLOSED CAFATERIA!!! Smush in here now and listen to this stupid thing! Now go talk to these people about sports! OKAY BACK HERE!....

I left at the "Okay back here" Part. I think it was going to be cheerleaders x.X;

I'll find my way around....
SPEAKERfortheLOST
I've been back to school for 3 weeks now...
Even though two of those have been 4 day weeks, and i was supposed to have another week...
I love hurricanes...
So far ive missed 7 days of school for hurricanes...

I love mondays
Kitty
Hehe, I go to school tomarrow. Excitement? No not really. Nervousness? Nah.... not too much of that either. I just wanna go back. Hahaha....

Freshmen year.... my school is full of people that look like like.... beach boy-esque people. Bleache blonde hair and fitted polo shirts and all that stuff. Its a bit scary.
tptcow
I have been at school for the past few weeks. I like it a lot, more so since I changed my major to music education. Which means I can be a music education advocate, yay!! I love it here too, the sun is out..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.