Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hair Falling Out
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daily life
Pages: 1, 2
Kitty
Recently I've noticed my brush is clogged up with hair in two days, and it normally takes two weeks for it to get so bad o.0 Its kinda scaring me because I dont think my hair is sopposed to fall out like that. My mom says its probally because I'm malnurished and I'm taking vitamins now. But now I'm starting to wonder about my eating habits, I'm about 5'6" and weigh only around 102 pounds.... but I dont think I'm anorexix, I'm just not hungry usually, I eat when I feel hungry so.... I dont know whats wrong. And I dont want my hair to fall out!

I just wanted to know if you think I should eat more or something.... or just stick to taking a Centrum every day

EDIT: I just thought maybe this should go in the issues forum too.... whoops.
acid_rain_child
Honey, I wish I could donate some fat to you. You're like, stick thin! Go eat a Big Mac or something! tongue.gif

Just teasing, gain weight healthily. You are a bit thin I think. 10 pounds isn't gonna kill you.

Uhm, I went through a time where I would lose clumps of hair at a time too. Thankfully, my hair is very very thick, and it wasn't devastating or anything. But from what my mother said, everyone goes through cycles... there are times when we just lose a lot of hair. I think it's just like your body getting ready to have a little hair-spurt. Though, if it doesn't stop soon, like a couple weeks at the most, you might want to see a doctor.

Oh yeah, PS, I also used to have about boob length hair, I chopped a foot off and since then haven't had any more cycles. It might just be because your hair is so long, from what I remember of your picture.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
It could be vitamins. Could be your cycle (like Acid said). Could be your hormones if you're due 'on'. Or maybe you're like a cat and just moult (sp?) in the summer. wink.gif

I wouldn't worry about it too much. My partner loses tons and tons of hair (his is really long) and never seems to run out of it. If it's not coming out in clumps or leaving bald patches (eek!), I think it's probably normal.
Righteous
I shed like mad, personally, as does my little sister. I figure the reason she has so much hair in her brush is because her hair is really long and it's curly so it gets caught in her brush (it's a pain to brush; I lothe it when she asks me to brush it). I don't know how long or curly your hair is, but that could be a factor.
Kitty
Hmmm.... my hair is pretty straight, just.... fluffy. tongue.gif And its long, about 'boob lenght' as Acid put it *laughs* But it iiisss more hair than I normally loose o.0 It could be a cycle or I could be like a cat and malt. My nickname is Kat, anyway.... I'll try not to worry about it so much, its just sortah strange.... creepy.... I still think it has something to due with my diet, and the fact that I've lost like 7 pounds since summer started.

I blame it on the summer!

Boy am I glad I dont have curly hair @.@

Hehe, thanks for the support tongue.gif
Righteous
Lost seven pounds?

For crying out loud girl, eat something. Here, I'll send you all the food I shouldn't eat and maybe I'll lose a few pounds.
Mata
Hey Kat, it could be diet related but more likley it's just a phase that your body is going through. I occasionally have a few months where I lose hair all the time and then it stops for a couple of years. I've no idea why.

Although it wouldn't do any harm to put a little weight on. Have a look around on the web for some advice on gaining weight healthily. I remember a pic of you from a couple of years ago so I know you've always been slender but you've never looked _too_ thin. Try to stabilise your weight loss though, if you keep losing it then there'll be nothing left of you!

*comes out of elder-brother mode*
Kitty
*tackles and huggles Mata* I LOVE YOU!

*cough* *lets go and gives you your space* Heh, but I need an older brother, Mata tongue.gif Mine is all.... like.... work-y and antisocial. Hehh. But yea, I'm going to look for some healty weight gain stuff online, I think I need a few extra pounds.... But now I am starting to think my hairloss is just a phase-ish thing.

Hey Righteous.... What kinda food do you eat? laugh.gif
Righteous
CARBS, MONOUNSATURATED SOYBEAN OIL, CHOCOLATE MILK AND SODA, BABY!

I also eat a lot of fruit and drink a lot of coffee...
Kitty
*laughs* I'll steal your fruit, chocolate milk and coffee from you ^___^ I ran out of my ultravitamin-y German chocolate milk mix and and we rarely ever get fruit and my dad makes his coffee so its undrinkable =(
Patient #212
As people have said, it could be due to a lot of different variables. But I can tell you that I had a pretty severe problem with this about two years ago and I know that it was due to a sudden, unhealthy weight loss. Due to a long bout of illness, I could just barely force myself to eat for a span of weeks and weeks. When it got too severe, my hair started falling out. I think about 40% of it disappeared within a couple of weeks (thankfully I had a lot to begin with so it wasn't weird-looking). Of course, I got better and put the weight back on and my hair started growing back in at a healthy rate.

Don't mean to worry you, just telling you my experience. wink.gif Whether the hair loss is due to low weight or not, it still might be a good idea to try to take in a few more calories a day. Honestly, I'm the same way-- I eat when I'm hungry but that's just not very often.

Hope it's just something simple and natural that will correct itself. smile.gif
sjbbandgeek
102 seems to be a healthy weight for a 14 year old. I'm 14 and I've never weighed more than 103.
And if you've been active over the summer and not just playing video games, than 7 pounds is nothing to worry about.
Kitty
*nodnod* Yea, hopefullyyyy.... it will correct itself. But, weather its due to my weight or not I still really need to put on a bit more weight.... I'm not really worried about it or anything, like you, I have tons of hair normally anyway so it doesnt look like my hair is thinned out at all, but I can tell its alot thinner.

Thats gotta be a bit strange to loose 40% of your hair.... I know I havent lost _that_ much....
Phyllis
You should also check the hair that is in your brush to see if a lot of it has a little white bulb on the end. If it does, then yes it is falling out. If not, then your hair is just breaking and all you'll need to do is get a strengthening shampoo.
Kitty
*nod* Yeah its falling out by the root, its pretty gross.

Heh did I mention my mom is a hair stylist? Yea.... she just doesnt know why my hair is falling out, but its not breaking off, not most of it anyway.
Patient #212
QUOTE (K!77y @ Aug 20 2004, 03:42 PM)
Thats gotta be a bit strange to loose 40% of your hair.... I know I havent lost _that_ much....

Yeah, it was an extreme case...
Kitty
*nod* What happened? You said you were ill but with what?
Silver Star Angel of Da Towers
My hair falls out, too. My hair is chemically treated, so that might be it. Are you taking or eating anything that might cause an allergic reaction?
Kitty
*shakes head* Nothing different from what I usually eat. Though I recently discovered I might be allergic to caffine o.0 Heh. My hair is majorly chemically treated too but it hasnt done this before....
Mutilation
The best cure is to crack an egg IN your hair and then rub the goo around. It does wonders for your hair.
Kitty
Oh OH !! I've done that before!! I made the mistake of taking a hot shower to get it out....

I had scrambled eggs in my hair
Mata
QUOTE (K!77y @ Aug 20 2004, 05:57 PM)
*laughs* I'll steal your fruit, chocolate milk and coffee from you ^___^

No! No more coffee for you! You get absolutely hyper from it if your typing style is anything to go by smile.gif

I felt a bit mean, but I did laugh at the image of scambled eggs in your hair!
Kitty
Yea I get pretty hyper from coffee, but I get pretty hyper from being left home alone for too long too. My typing style definately shows if I'm hyper or not

Yea.... I just thought about it.... scrambled eggs in my hair is pretty.... *falls over laughing* hilarious!!!! I cant believe I did that.... wow.... that was a while ago. I wasnt too smart then was I?

That made me laugh.... you laughing and feeling bad.... I'm babysitting right now and needed the laugh. This little guy is giving me trouble. HE WONT PUT HIS PULLUPS ON!.... and now he's upset so I told him I'll leave him be.... and I'll be in the next room. *sigh* /spam

.... scrambled eggs.

This got a bit off topic didnt it?
monkey_called_narth
ok so yeah... *is suddenly very happy she spent 6 weeks at a fat camp and was drilled on nutrition* ok so hopefully you know what the food pyramid is... if not... you need to... but basic idea... you need so many servings of diffrent things during a day... and well... there is a low and and a high end... such as grain (carbs) 6-11 6 to lose weight 11 to gain weight... a serving is a peice of bread...4 crackers and a cup of cerial... i would go with 9... so that would be like... so your diest should go along the lines of: avrage bowl of cerial in the morning (aprox 2 cups) and 2 peices of toast, a sandwich for lunch and some pasta for dinner fruits and veggies come next... and the are 3-5 (fruit) and 4-6 (veggies) so adding thos to the diet would be like... a large glass of orange juice or 2 cups... a apple with your sandwich... and a bannana as a bed time snack and veggies would be some babby carrots also with your lunch (aprrox 2 cups so 2 servings) and the sauce one your pasta would be the rest... then we have dairy... which is 2-3 so... a glass of milk at lunch... the cheese in your lunch...and the milk in your cerial... and meat would be 2-3 but because of the fats in the meat i would go with only 2... and if there is meat in your pasta sauce that would be one.. and then the meat on your sandwhich would be the other... (2 slices of meat deli style equil 1 serving) and then fats and since your trying to gain a bit of weight... the butter on your toast would be your one serving of fat... and there is your diet plan... enjoy biggrin.gif

ok so i was re-reading this... and i thought i should make the diet plan for one day a bit more mapped out... so here

breakfast: a bowl of cerial 2 peices of toast with butter and 2 glasses of orange juice (side note your getting carbs from the grain... and that give you energy that will turn into fat if not used... the butter... is a fat... and the orange juice has natural sugars in it which are a simple carb that burn rather fast)

lunch: sandwich... 2 slices of meat and a slice of cheese (tmayo and such if used sparingly wont affect anything... now that doesnt mean glob a bunch on thats like... 1 packet of mayo...) some baby carrots like... a plastic bag full... which you can eat some and then save the rest for the way home from school to nibble on... and a apple and a carton of milk...

dinner: pasta (whatever kind you like) with tomatoe sauce and meat in it... cheese on it (if wanted) and a glass of water... (breadsticks would just put you closer to the 11 on carbs that you are supposed to have.. but since your 14.. you might want to have a small serving of pasta and a breadstick)

bed time: a bannana!

and that isnt to much really... seems like it but give it a try for a few days and see how you feel afterwards... if its to much cut one of the servings off of each section of the pyramid and see how that makes you feel...
Mutilation
There's a better diet for gaining weight: The Atkinson One

Also you could try my um, "diet":

Breakfast:
Brown Porridge. And plenty of it.

Lunch:
Prunes and Figs on brown bread. And plenty of it.

Dinner:
Plenty of startch and fibre. And laxatives.

Night:
Take your laxatives with a glass of prune juice.

This should "sort" you out.
Kitty
I-i-i think I like Narth's diet better.... *nodnodnod* *scared*

Whats porridge anyway?! Is it oatmeal or like.... grits.... I never really sorted that out.

Narth your diet plan suggestion sounds great, though you're right, it does seem like alot of food.... I'm trying to remember what I normally eat in a day. The most I eat on an average day is a bowl of cereal and like a sammich, and I drink a couple of glasses of milk or something in the middle of the day. Heehh....

Okay so I'm gunna go eat breakfast o.0 Woo! See how a bowl of cereal and two peices of toast with orange juice.... I dont have orange juice..... meh. Whatever. lol, I'll get fruits in somewhere....

Wee! Thankies for helping!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I eat alot more than that sometimes.... just depends on the day tongue.gif *eats toast*....
Mutilation
OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! You don't know what porridge is?

*Cries for America*

If all you eat is cereal and sandwhiches, what do you have for dinner?
Kitty
Sammich is dinner.... I skip on lunch, or eat like random chips and things. lol
gothictheysay
Pizza is dinner. The American staple, although it's Italian.
Kitty
I dont eat alot of pizza o.0 Its expensive and sickening after a while.... especially if you get it from the same place every single time. Stupid Pizza hut....
Mutilation
You realise it's alot smarter to skip on breakfast. According to my father "Breakfast is the least important meal of the day". He hasn't had breakfast since he was 23. And it's spelt Sandwhich.
Kitty
SAMMICH!!!!!!! Its sammich. It sounds a billion times cooler than sandwhich. tongue.gif happy.gif

Anyway, supposody, acording to scientists, breakfast is one of the most important meals because it fuels your brain for the day. But I think it just makes me feel lethargic and sleepy., which isnt good If I gotta force myself through school.

.... Food is such a problem.

So today I ate two slices of toast with butter.... had half a large Orange Julius thing.... some chili with cheese and a glass of milk or so.... black current juice.... umm, two little peices of pork tenderloin which is probally less than a serving.... but I had potatoe dumpling things with bacon/proshuto stuff in it.... like a serving of salad.... *thinks* Yea I think that was it besides like cookie things and candy.... *innocent grin*

So thats like 3 servings of carbs er, bread stuff.... 2 servings of dairy.... probally one serving of fruit since juice isnt really too fruity.... its all high fructose cornsyrup-y gross.... I'd say like two servings of meat, errmm, oh and two servings of veggy stuff. So what'm I missing? *whimper*
monkey_called_narth
about 6 servings of card... 1 serving of dairy 2 servings of fruit and vegies and a serving of meat smile.gif

but yes breakfast is the most important meal... you shoul always eat it... its how you have energy threw out the dy and you may start off a bit lathergic... but around noon when your burning the fats and such from breackfast.... your not going to be... also make sure you drink plenty of water...
Kitty
Grrr.... thats alot of servings I didnt eat. I'll try better today.

So I'm up at 5 and wide awake, and when I was asleep it was very restleass, this doesnt usually happen, normally I'm sound asleep till.... whenever. Like 9 usually. Think its from me eating more than I usually do? Because I probally have a ton more energy and such.
Mata
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Aug 22 2004, 08:36 PM)
You realise it's alot smarter to skip on breakfast. According to my father "Breakfast is the least important meal of the day". He hasn't had breakfast since he was 23. And it's spelt Sandwhich.

No, it's spelt 'sandwich'. Mutilation, It's probably not a good idea to correct other people's spelling with a mistake.

Your father's advice is entirely contrary to all good dietary advice. A good breakfast will include a lot of protein to start your day in a healthy way. Not only is protein essential for building muscle (important when you're trying to put on weight and stay healthy) but it also greatly helps concentration. Most people get their first bit of protein at dinner time, so it's no wonder people have trouble concentrating.

In an ideal world we'd have our meals in the complete reverse order. Breakfast should be the main meal, lunch smaller, dinner should be the smallest. This would be the most efficient way of eating for our body, but of course a modern lifestyle doesn't let us eat this way.
Mutilation
I was using my father rather silly advice as a joke. Of course I know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day (everyone in my generation should know this if they went to school). It was just back then my dad didn't have time or money enough for breakfast so he decided to skip it and still does. It makes him very grumpy though.

And atleast sandwhich is closer than sammich wink.gif
Kitty
=( Sammich. No one here says sammich?.... Alright. Sandwich....

After reading Mata's post I went to eat scrambled eggs with toast and a slice of ham with a slice of cheese.... I feel much better and energized happy.gif
Mata
More stuff about where to get protein:

For veggies:
http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com/articles/protein.html

For meat eaters:
http://www.healthcentral.com/FitorFat/Fito...D=39939&src=n30

It's easier for omnivorous people to get enough protein because meat has complete proteins in it, vegetable proteins require a combination of foods to make full protein strings.
Kitty
Hmm, thats intresting. I was reading the veggitable site and I was sopposed to go out to lunch with one of my teachers (haha, Mata, one of my 7th grade teachers that was a bit worried about me reading The Dice Man) and I compleatly forgot that I was sopposed to go with her today.... but I made an excuse that I lost track of time reading about how to get adequate protein through eating vegetables and such in the right combinations.

It was rather intresting though, gives me a good advantage when arguing with people who say being a vegitarian is unhealty. That and I dont eat alot of meat either, so now I know how to get enough protein, which I dont think I've gotten enough protein in the past, I've been weaker lately and having a harder time keeping enough muscle, and taking longer to recover from sore muscles after working them out.

More protein for meee @.@;

I have to figure out how much of what I've ate today.... and then figure out how to top it off. My parents wont buy me fruit juice! They're eevill.... acctually I've only asked my dad. So I'll ask my mom, maybe she'll buy me apples or something too happy.gif
Mata
It's often best to avoid orange juice. It's very tasty, but it's also got a massive amount of sugar in it. It's actually the fastest way of getting sugar into the bloodstream, but because of this you get a quick energy rush from it, followed by a swift drop-off, making you feel tired and hungry...

Nutrition is a complex subject!
artist.unknown
If you're vegetarian, or just don't eat a lot of meat, nuts are good for protein. I eat peanut butter straight out of the jar. Yummm. But if that's not your cup of tea, you can get protein bars just about anywhere. They taste like candy, only they're good for you. Wheee.

K!77y, you might want to go to a doctor just to be on the safe side. Two years ago my hair started falling out. This bothered me quite a lot because my hair is short and wispy and it was easy to notice. My dermatologist only made it worse, so I mentioned it to my regular doctor at my next checkup. Three blood tests later, I found out I was severely anemic. What with your diet and weight being what it is, this might be the case. I'm on a multivitamin, biotin, C, and iron pill now, and that sorted out the hair problem, among others. Anemia is pretty common problem with girls starting around your age. Of course, even if you're not anemic, a multivitamin and biotin would still probably help you out with your hair.
Kitty
Yes! Nutrition is a complex subject! And I doooo like peanut butter, on toast. *nod* Cuz it gets all melty and yumm.... Maybe I should eat that more. Oooorrr, whole grain bread, spread peanut butter on it.... slice up a banana and layer it on top of the peanut butter, close it off with another slice of bread and stick it in a sandwich press. (I said sandwich instead of sammich ^^) Yummmm. One of my favorite things to eat. Though I dont make it too often.

Its hard for me to go to the doctor though. I just really hate it there. It makes me feel like I'm going to pass out.... it makes me really stressed in there. *shudder* And plus, mom said next time I go back I need shots!! eeee! So well.... I could take iron suppliments just in case. Or just the multivitamin. Its fun to swallow the huge thing dry tongue.gif But I keep forgetting! Grr. So I'm going to go do that right now.... trying to debate wather to go to the doctors or not *shudder*

I do think I got my diet more under controll now. Though I've been eating too much sugar because my mom stuck a huge bag of sour gummy things in my room. Grr.
Mata
Sues (my gf) has a similar problem with doctors. She's on the contraceptive pill and so needs to go every few months to make sure that she's on the right dosage for her. The problem is that she has to go during the week when the doctor is open, so she's on a break from work, but the doctor is always running late so she'll get in trouble when she goes back, they always tell her she needs to lose a bit of weight, and she never likes doctors anyway...

So, she gets into the examination room, they put the ring on her arm and tell her that her blood pressure is a bit high... It's not really blooming surprising after all that, is it? biggrin.gif
Kitty
SEEE!!! See see seee! Doctors are pure evil, money sucking little beasts!! I dont like them. *grumble*

Plus they make people feel bad. But most doctors give out tons of perscriptions just to get money for them, thats why little old ladies have a perscription medication for every tiny little thing! Its not necissary.

Blah. I'm done with my little rant now ^^; And I have peanut butter and toast *happy*
artist.unknown
Yesyes, I hate doctors too. I don't like how their offices are so sterile and empty-feeling...or the flourescent lighting. Unfortunately, I have heart problems and I keep needing to go to the hospital. It makes me so angry...gaa. But you've got to do what you've got to do, I suppose.

K!77y, I wouldn't recommend going on iron unless you're tested for anemia first. My iron levels are so abismal that I'm not in any danger, but for anyone who doesn't have much of a problem, a multivitamin and iron pill, plus any iron you get during the day via food, could be poisonous. Not fun. Since it sounds like you're going to need to see the doctor anyway sometime soon, you should concider asking them to run a blood test for it--it's fairly simple. In the meantime, try a multivit. and Biotin.

Yay peanut butter! 'Specially with nutella. Wheee hurrar.
Kitty
QUOTE (artist.unknown @ Aug 25 2004, 03:35 PM)
Yay peanut butter! 'Specially with nutella. Wheee hurrar.

YES!!!! NUTELLA!! I have some ^^ Somewhere ^^ I think !!! lol, but it goes pretty fast.... mmmm.....

And yes, I know I really should go see a doctor. But I feeeeel fine, and I'm never sick. And I'm going to create so many excused if I dont stop myself right now, heh. Maybe I'll go.... once school starts.... heh.... ew. *has nightmares about doctors*
Kitty
Soo.... I was going pretty well today till my dad dragged me out of the house, then I compleatly forgot about eating till around 9 at night, so I only had what I ate for breakfast and then another sammich at 9.... whoops @.@ I'm drinking v8 right now for veggies! Wee
porcelainwarrior
Randomly...just out of interest people what's the general consensus on honey? See I kinda go through stages with my food, currently I'm into honey sandwiches and the occasonal hotdog or Onken-lite mousse and - erm - that's pretty much all I eat. My mum made me eat fish and potatoes and carrots last night though! So - I know it aint healthy, the drastic weightloss and odd colour of my skin has told me that much over the last few months - but just how unhealthy am I?
snooodlysnoosnoosnoodle
My Grandparents/Parents/Boyfriend keep telling me that I'm not getting enough protein because I'm malting alot. It's annoying...I haven't changed what I eat at all in the last few years. I'm a really fussy eater, I'm veggie, I don't like anything vaguely spicy or anything with tomato in it.
I basically live on pasta with chees when I'm at uni and when I'm at home I eat potato waffles and veggie fingers and all that kinda fluff. I also eat alot of salad sandwiches with cheese and mayo and then I do tend to eat chocolate and cereal bars and toast.
It's healthier than having take away every day though? Isn't it?
Kitty
Replying to these quickly before I head off to bed.

QUOTE (porcelainwarrior @ Aug 26 2004, 11:57 AM)
Randomly...just out of interest people what's the general consensus on honey? See I kinda go through stages with my food, currently I'm into honey sandwiches and the occasonal hotdog or Onken-lite mousse and - erm - that's pretty much all I eat. My mum made me eat fish and potatoes and carrots last night though! So - I know it aint healthy, the drastic weightloss and odd colour of my skin has told me that much over the last few months - but just how unhealthy am I?

I think its probally best if you try and eat atleast one serving of all the parts of the food pyramid a day. That means a peice of fruit or fruit juice, a vegetable or vegatable juice, some sort of meat, or beans or maybe even nuts if you dont want meat. Grains which you get with your sammich.... dairy, a glass of milk or a slice of cheese.... but it _is_ important to eat atleast some sort of balanced food.... otherwise you're not healthy. I'm getting better at eating but if I dont nibble on something for four hours I compleatly forget to eat the rest of the day.

QUOTE (snoo @ Aug 26 2004, 03:52 PM)
My Grandparents/Parents/Boyfriend keep telling me that I'm not getting enough protein because I'm malting alot. It's annoying...I haven't changed what I eat at all in the last few years. I'm a really fussy eater, I'm veggie, I don't like anything vaguely spicy or anything with tomato in it.
I basically live on pasta with chees when I'm at uni and when I'm at home I eat potato waffles and veggie fingers and all that kinda fluff. I also eat alot of salad sandwiches with cheese and mayo and then I do tend to eat chocolate and cereal bars and toast.
It's healthier than having take away every day though? Isn't it?

Mmmm.... takeout is MSG filled and full of grease and fat and nasty. Well depends what kind of take out.... I'm not sure if it would be better or not with all the fat and all. MSG sopposodly isnt all too bad for you, its just not _healty_ for you.... You should probally try eating more variety....

Lookit me being the balanced diet nut. I didnt eat enough today but I dont have the time to eat all that stuff. I'm going to have a major problem when I go to school, I'm going to need a lunchbox! Gasp! Does Mata have lunchboxes?....

Mata can you make me a lunchbox? Pwweeeeaaaseeeeee??? I'll give you a cookie....

I'll also be waking up at 5 in the morning. Is it bad to drink coffee every morning? Should I maybe drink tea or whats good for getting you up up and ready to go? I'm fine at getting up in the morning, but once I hit school its all downhill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.