Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows Update
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Pab
Hey peeps

I have just run into Windows XP service pack 2. I thought my comp automatically downloaded updates, but this one is a tad different. Apart from anything else, it's 75megs.

Does anybody know, for example, if by installing this (which I'm going to anyway ... no choice, see?) I am agreeing to give Microsoft my first-born, and the registry, and all my email addresses and my car? Does anybody know anything at all about this ?
Forever Unknown
Not sure about first borns and all that, but my computer seems to be running a little happier since I downloaded it.

But to be honest, by allowing Microsoft into our lives at all, I think we've jeopardised the sanctity of our souls.

This really wasn't very helpful, was it?
Oni Usagi
QUOTE (Pab @ Sep 8 2004, 05:28 AM)
Does anybody know, for example, if by installing this (which I'm going to anyway ... no choice, see?) I am agreeing to give Microsoft my first-born, and the registry, and all my email addresses and my car? Does anybody know anything at all about this ?

To avoid this, simply forsake these things until a time in which microsoft is no longer the highest power in this world. Good luck with Emma though.
mooooooooooopo
QUOTE (Pab @ Sep 8 2004, 09:28 AM)

With the right training though instead of losing ones firstborn to Bill Gates you can infiltrate highly skilled assasin kids into Microsoft, then wait for them to come back when the evil tyrant has fallen. And if you're lucky they might even bring your email addresses, car and registry with them.

[/end spam]

On a more serious note there are probably some important fixes hidden in there among the code to make your computer grow legs and lasers to take over the world.

I think its one of those things that will only work if you have a legitimate copy of XP, otherwise it will unleash the full fury of Microsoft on your defenseless computer. Not that I'm making any presumptions about whether or not people have legitimate copies, just giving a warning.

Please don't quote me on any of that...its all an informed guess dry.gif .
eleraama
Yeah, me dad got it. Actually, as far as a could tell without registry surfing, it changed a few icons and made our wireless connection more secure. I say, if your XP is legit and you have broadband, go for it. But backup first.
Mata
I have it on good word that the legit bit is not entirely essential.

It does fiddle with the number of connections that it likes you having. Previously it was 16.7million, now it's 5 I think. They might have fixed this in the official release (I got the developer one).

Basically it seems that most people are happy with it.
Pab
I've tried to download it, but it says 'error', and my copy of XP is totally legit (and expensive). I'll get there eventually.

The secret reason behind this thread is to bring up liscence agreement issues. How about the bit on MSN messenger where the contract you agree to says they own copyright on any material passed through it?
Oni Usagi
I've heard you can mail in for a free cd or something. I don't know if they cater to people in your neck of the woods though.

EDIT: There's an option for Andorra, so I assume they ship there if you want to do it that way.)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx
Pab
I might try that, if only to make them work a bit, like they make me work all the time.

The dashed thing wont download .. *click* error ... end of story. I hope its the language, cos my windows is in spanish ... grrrrrr

Like I said, my XP is legit ... (my Office isnt ...O_O)
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Okay my Windows is NOT legit and I've just got the same update, Pab. (how the hell did Andorra get it first? dry.gif )

I'm about to download now - so if you don't see me for a while, either it's blown my computer up or the Microsoft Nazis have dragged me away to be brainwashed and sent back into the world with a strong desire to buy hideously overpriced software.

Wish me luck.
Spacehappy
SP2 is more about internet security than anything. Has a firewall and an automatic popup blocker. I've found since my install things are running slightly faster, some of my connections were reset, but otherwise the pop up blocker is very nice.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Installed no problem but the stupid firewalls interfere with my work VPN so I had to uninstall. Computer spazzed out.

I still can't get onto my work systems. Stupid Microsoft. mad.gif
Jonman
SP2 is supposed to fix a number of security holes. If you don't have Windows Automatic Update, I have it on good authority that it's EXTREMELY in your best interests to get it.

As for the firewall, you can turn the Windows firewall off (Control panel - Security Centre - a new XP2 feature). Apparently, the MS firewall is a bit poo. You're better off with a 3rd party one (ZoneAlarm do a free one on their site). However, and this is important kids...

An XP machine with no firewall on a broadband connection has an average lifespan of 20 minutes before it's a zombie spam engine.
Get thee a firewall - it's essential. The XP built in one is better than nothing, but not great. Use Spybot and AdAware every few weeks to clean out nasty cookies, spyware and malicious code that's been DL'd (both are available for free - google for them). Get some virus protection too. Norton is affordable - not sure about freebies.
Forever Unknown
Use Spybot and AdAware every few weeks to clean out nasty cookies, spyware and malicious code that's been DL'd (both are available for free - google for them). Get some virus protection too. Norton is affordable - not sure about freebies.

Useful advice, as my Norton stuff has recently expired and I'm painfully paranoid about little nasties eating my PC. Anyone know of a nice, free replacement?
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Jonman @ Sep 10 2004, 02:13 PM)
An XP machine with no firewall on a broadband connection has an average lifespan of 20 minutes before it's a zombie spam engine.
Get thee a firewall - it's essential. The XP built in one is better than nothing, but not great. Use Spybot and AdAware every few weeks to clean out nasty cookies, spyware and malicious code that's been DL'd (both are available for free - google for them). Get some virus protection too. Norton is affordable - not sure about freebies.

I agree here, when i got my broadband connection on my old PC, i set it up and went online with no firewall. Two hours later my pc was taken over, i had to restore my entire PC to basics, and install a firewall. Adaware, Spybot S&D are free also get Spywareblaster too.
Mata
While Fuzzy was setting up my new system, before the firewall had a chance to be installed, the machine was already getting pop-ups even with no browser window open the very first time it was turned on. It took literally minutes to happen. Impressive and scary at the same time.
DarkInferno
the messenger service doesn't help (inbuilt popup service which is enabled as default (duh))... I'd advise an 2k or XP users to switch that little blighter off. Don't worry, it has nothing to do with msn messenger.

*me smeks fuzzy's wrist* you should always install new machines behind a router at least...

AVG from grisoft is a good free antivirus... and Trend's Housecall is always there at a pinch.
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Had to completely uninstall the Windows update - I disabled the firewall and I still couldn't get my VPN working.

I can't use Zonealarm because that also interferes with my work systems (and you have no idea how shitty my boss gets if I cannot log in at least once a day).

I have AVG, Spybot and Ad - Aware and have very few problems with virus invasion. They seem to do the job.

I'm still pissed off with Microsoft though. biggrin.gif

*Edit*

I run through a router that gives me added protection and I NEVER get pop - ups.
Mutilation
Yay, my dad got it from his work and it took all of 30 minutes to install. Basically it gives you an automatic pop-up blocker and erm. Erm.
Mata
I've got SP2, and if a site doesn't work in Firefox I open up IE and bingo, here come the pop-ups. It blocks some, but not all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.