Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Little Goth Girl's First Date
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mata
Here's the spiel:

Yep, it's eventually finished, Little Goth Girl's First Date:

http://www.matazone.co.uk/animpages/little...first_date.html

It's 3.5MB, AKA HYOOOOOGE! So it'll take a while to download.

There is also a painting based on the animation to buy on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=3747244417

Bid high if you can afford it please!

I can't remember if I mentioned this last time, but my CafePress shop will be shutting down soon so if there's anything you want in there then now's the time to buy it. I'll probably be shutting that in about two or three weeks:

http://www.cafepress.com/othersidestuff

Right, that's it. I'm knackered. This has been far too much like hard work. The next LGG will be back in 2D style, and will be sillier than this one.

Next animation: Hmm... Probably Mr Snaffleburger. We've not had one of those for a while. Then the Halloween one, then I might get around to the next Saumri Lapin at last.

See ya!

Mata
CommieBastard
Awesome animation! And some long-awaited plot development...very interesting biggrin.gif I loved the style of it.
Mata
I loved the style of it too... For the first few weeks. Now I realise how blooming long it takes I've gone off it a little bit!
MistressAlti
Oh wow... Mata... That was great! biggrin.gif I had been wondering how these things tied in, and now they're starting to... oooh!
Righteous
You're killing those of us with dial-up, man.

Anyhow, that was definately groovy. I'm digging it. It was quite deep for an LGG animation, but I really liked it (the convo was spectacular). I can understand you not being thrilled about doing 3D animations very often, but what you did do with this was awesome. Sea seems like a really cool cat with an interesting set of beliefs.

What I'm confused about is if Sea was with the monks or just there? Could you clarify?

And in regards to your blurbage, don't go back and change any of the animations. They make me proud of you in a weird way. My friends note how your style has progressed and I can't help telling them how much of it I've seen and how happy I am that you've gotten as good as you have. So please, don't change the animations. The history overrides the visuals (to me at least).
Snugglebum the Destroyer
I like it!! I have my suspicions where it's going next with Sea too. I suppose I can wait and see... biggrin.gif
Mata
QUOTE (Righteous @ Sep 8 2004, 05:14 PM)
You're killing those of us with dial-up, man

Sorry about that, there wasn't any way to do this level of detail in a smaller space. Looking on the bright side, I've already put this through a load of software that means that it's lost 25% of the size it was. To start off with the movie was about 4.6MB...

What I'm confused about is if Sea was with the monks or just there? Could you clarify?

Yes. I could.

And in regards to your blurbage, don't go back and change any of the animations. They make me proud of you in a weird way. My friends note how your style has progressed and I can't help telling them how much of it I've seen and how happy I am that you've gotten as good as you have. So please, don't change the animations. The history overrides the visuals (to me at least).

We'll see. At the moment I don't have the time so it's all academic really (pardon the pun).

QUOTE (Snugglebum the Destroyer @ Sep 8 2004, 05:23 PM)
I like it!!  I have my suspicions where it's going next with Sea too.  I suppose I can wait and see...  biggrin.gif

Oo, what are your suspicions? I really enjoy reading what people think is going on... It's half the fun of making them for me!
CommieBastard
My friend Aysha calls me Sea...
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Oo, what are your suspicions? I really enjoy reading what people think is going on... It's half the fun of making them for me!

Well, if Satan can have a daughter then Death can have a son. Would explain what Sea was doing there and his 'job'. (BTW - LOVE the name Sea!)

There're others but they get really far fetched. wink.gif
Wasat
Really great work, again. Does really leave you wondering.

As to old animations. I say leave them as is. They are good as is, no need for messing with. Anyway going back and changing thing is what the pigs do. (Animal Farm, remember?!?) But regardless keep up the good work, regardless when it or how often it comes it's all good in the end.
froggle-rock
Wow! That's absolutly amazing. When you described how it would look in comparison to your regular animations, I wasn't too sure, but I knew that it sounded interesting.

The time and effort and what not that you must have put in, I think has definatly paid off (excuse the pun, but I hope it does).

I've never gotten in to LGG, but well, I think I'm a convert. Blimey Mata, wow. -And well done it really does look distinctive, and striking. I'm well impressed.

/end praise to Mata tongue.gif

*Frog is off to watch all the other LGG animations*

edit: also, the 3D-iness kinda reminds me of Futurama: where all is 2D, then 3D kickis in every now and then. yay.
Oni Usagi
I can't wait to go home and watch it again with sound. Though it'll take a while, I'm used to stuff taking a few minutes to d/l.

I think redoing the old animations is a good idea, as long as you keep the old ones, even if they aren't all accessible all the time. For one, it would be a good excuse for most of us to go back and watch the old ones again. And it might help bring more people in and keep them in case they liked the content but were turned off by the graphics.
Sir Psycho Sexy
can't come up with an intellegent responce, so i'll just say this:

....buh?
spiffilicious05
egads! I can only get it to load to 58%!!!!!!

*pouts*
Righteous
Hmm. Sea did say he has a job as a "security courier" who works the "specialized transport" industry. Thare are about a thousand ways one could interpret that when one sees him looking out the window of a building on some monks who are looking to knife his woman.
Quinny
That blurb must of taken as long to do as the animation, quality work as always Mata.

Don't change the old animations, there look as all part of the story, if you look at other animation or cartoon sites like UserFriendly.org or Penny-arcade.com as look at the early stuff and the new stuff it's different but helps with the history.
Forever Unknown
Ooh! Fun!

I really did enjoy it and the new style. I'm kind of torn between that and the Old Way - just because I found the Old Way™ perhaps a little more... colourful? Light-hearted? I don't know quite how to put it - but the way this one is made certainly compliments the content.
Mata
QUOTE (spiffilicious05 @ Sep 8 2004, 08:37 PM)
egads! I can only get it to load to 58%!!!!!!

*pouts*

You are the person I was aiming that last bit of the into blurb at then. Go to another page, go to Tools, then Internet Options, then click the 'Delete Files' button, then click 'okay'. This will clear the cahced files in your browser. If you return to the page again hopefully whatever error you developed will have been cleared from the memory and you should be able to load it okay.

QUOTE (Quinny @ Sep 8 2004, 10:47 PM)
That blurb must of taken as long to do as the animation, quality work as always Mata.

Oh how I wish that was true. The blurb took less than an hour, probably a lot less. That's just me having my normal wandering mind.

QUOTE (Forever Unknown @ Sep 8 2004, 11:00 PM)
Ooh! Fun!

I really did enjoy it and the new style. I'm kind of torn between that and the Old Way - just because I found the Old Way™ perhaps a little more... colourful? Light-hearted? I don't know quite how to put it - but the way this one is made certainly compliments the content.

This was certainly a more serious episode than many of the others. Next time I intend to do a more light-hearted one to even this up. I deliberately kept the colours quite muted because I didn't want anything to jump out too much, because that would make it look out of place, which is often a problem with this kind of motion graphics.

As a pointer to why this took so long, a simple thing like Sarah shaking her head might be split over twelve frames, a more complex motion might go over sixty or seventy. With the 3D software you can either have everything outlined or nothing at all, and you can either have everything in shadows or nothing at all. Bear in mind here that each frame takes about five minutes to render then you can see why it's not a quick decision.

To get Sarah and Sea to look the way they do I had to go through every frame that they are in, customising every one by elimiating shadows and adding outlines where I wanted them. This takes a few minutes per frame. I wanted them to be outlined, but I wanted their surfaces to have the same clarity that they have in their 2D versions (the exception being Sarah in the alley, but that is in low-lighting, and her darker side is showing itself there too).

I built several city blocks to set the pizza place in, in the restaurant scene alone there are 11 light sources that I would sometimes have to adjust for each camera angle to get the effect I wanted, not to mention the individual tint on each light to cast the right colour.

The restaurant was covered by about seven cameras, all of which were an absolute pain to get in place. They had different lens widths and most were reused for slightly different angles at other points.

I'm really proud of it, but my goodness it was very boring to make.

Oo, painting update: currently the bidding is up to £41! Yay! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...item=3747244417
artist.unknown
Mata, that was truly awesome. I think it's the best so far. Also, you can put a word in that the music was great, too. ^^ The amount of patience that must go into these animations is dumbfounding--animating is hard enough without the 3d rendering! As an artist I appreciate how much you have to love what you're creating in order to put up with all the time and aggrivation that can go with, and my but you must love making these very, very, much. I like how deep the dialogue is, too. Kudos. It's really great.
Tigersong
Loved it. What can I say? You have the patience of a god, which we all knew before, but this is just... incredible.

PS - Sues is a lovely voice actress. Kudos all around.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Tigersong @ Sep 9 2004, 08:38 AM)
PS - Sues is a lovely voice actress.  Kudos all around.

That's true, I thought the voice acting really was very good.
Spacehappy
Wow i loved it, bloody amazing. Not sure of the whole LGG talking thing (stuck in my ways i suppose). The animation style has altered the atmoshere of the story, making it easier to understand the dark nature of Sarah. (loved the red eyes bit, and the blushing).

You and Sue's did the voicing well, still not sure if i liked it though.

Ohh and thanks for the mention smile.gif
LoLo
I liked it and am really looking forward to the next one already. I'm waiting now to have a similiar coversation in my philosophy of religion class, as Sarah and Sea. We sort of hit the edge of that last night.

Keep up the great work, they get better everytime.
sjwt
verry intresting..

Was that IX or IIX or XI or XII in the sumoning circle and on the clokes?

Thats going to take a number more watching before i can get too much of an opion on it..

All i can think of at the moment is skater boy is her opisate..
Twitching
That blurb started giving me flashbacks of the week I spent reading 1984. I've now become immensely paranoid. unsure.gif
Mutilation
Heh, that convo is just "WHAT IS THE MATRIX?" really. REALLY.

And erm, none of it made any sense to me. Merb. Why would anyone want to go out with a goth anyway?
Spacehappy
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Sep 9 2004, 08:44 PM)
Heh, that convo is just "WHAT IS THE MATRIX?" really. REALLY.

And erm, none of it made any sense to me. Merb. Why would anyone want to go out with a goth anyway?

Mata can we ban this one please?, i'll pay you good cash to!. smile.gif
Snugglebum the Destroyer
Mata can we ban this one please?, i'll pay you good cash to!.

I'll never understand why you're not a Mod... tongue.gif
falcon
Dear Mata,

I am a newbie member, but i've been a fan of your site for the last 2 yrs. I wish i could help and donate, i've wanted to numerous times, but i am a poor college student. I remember when there were just 3 mittens animations, that's when i first started reading. Please do NOT redo your old animations. It is a progression. And the old style is CLASSIC. some of them i like better than the new ones even. The original mittens, little goth girl, mr snaffleburger are PRICELESS. i eaglerly check in for new updates all the time, but beg of you, put your energies into the new creations and leave the old ones as is

a long time poor fan

adam
Mata
Thanks for your views Adam. You seem to be in agreement with the general consesus of responses that I've had from all over the world. Everyone seems very keen for me to leave everything the way that it is, and so they will stay preserved that way.

The strength of feeling on this is clear, so if I do ever go back to them then it will be to create a 'special edition' that would not replace the originals, but would be an option available next to them in the animations lists.

Also, welcome to my forums! It's always nice to know that such long-term viewers of my site are still around and enjoying what I do. You might want to join up with the mailing-list, that way you will be emailed as soon as anything new comes out and it will save you checking my site everyday smile.gif
monkey_called_narth
I might be the only one, but i really dont like the 3-d, but that doesnt mean im going to stop watching the toons... It jsut means that im stearing clear of the 3-d ones, the normal ones came faster and it seemed more of a imagination and now is like most other cartoons out there, everyones going for the 3-d to make it more tech worthy... And they loose alot of the content, maybe im just weired....

(im trying for the better grammer, sorry if i failed)

edit: i wanted to get more in to this becaus ei felt like a jerk jsut saying i didnt like it... i guess my main problem is turning into every other web-toon out there, with the dating thing and then the voice and the 3-d... and it makes me feel weired watching it because its no longer the llg that i originally got into... now its jsut a web-toon.... ok?
Wasat
I'd agree it just didn't seem the same, just due to it being the first in 3D. Regardless it was good. The voicing was a nice change. Are you planning to continue that Mata? Only thing is the daughter of a hippy and satan doesn't sound very different from most people. scary thought
fishes005
Hmm I liked it, just I kind of like the old animatiuons better, there was just something more fun about watching the more cartoony ones. And I liked Sarah's hair better too. I did like it though, little goth girl's my favorite! Byeeeeeeeees!
Righteous
I like Sarah's present haircut. I think it makes her look cute. I like it a lot better than the bed head.

And as for dating goths, I've dated some nice goths over the years. They're just as good as anyone else, usually just paler.
Mata
Well, in future I'll be going back to mainly 2D style for the animations. The 3D thing was needed to get the effects I wanted in this animation but it also took far too long to make.

Perhaps the reason this felt less cartoony is that the subject was more serious, which had to happen to get started the things that I want to have in there. LGG will usually have jokes in it, but this one didn't. There is a longterm plot to get through, as well as silliness.

As I've said before, the next one will be a silly one, so hopefully that will be more like what you expect from her.

There was an element in this animation of 'to show that I can do it'. Unlike a lot of web animators, I do like pushing myself technically every time I make an animation, so it was bound to happen that I end up making one in 3D. I've done that now, and it's another skill learnt, so now I can just use it when it's appropriate.

The voice-overs will be on all future animations. I've got to be practical about this and understand that the majority of the web-visiting public likes to be able to hear things rather than being forced to read text, that's sad but true, so if I want the site to continue growing I doo need to have voices on there.
CrazyFooIAintGettinOnNoPlane
Even voices on mittens? blink.gif I really like Sarahs new voice though smile.gif and the 3d was very cool, I dont think any content was lost.

It did take way too long to make tongue.gif

I think it would be interesting to see the original animations redone in a sort of councellers encouter style. Thats still my favourite. smile.gif
Sir Maxerpopple
*puts on flame-proof suit*

I hate to sound like such a harsh critic, Mata, however I largely agree with narth.

I feel like this animation was a betrayal of the original. It seemed to me to simply be technology for technology's sake. The voice overs, I can swing either way, but I didn't like the 3-D.

I'm all for good animations, but I'm also all for them coming quicker. Though the script itself was very nice.
Mata
Fair point Crazymat, no, there won't be voice-overs on Mittens animations, those are an exception, mainly because I've no idea what they would sound like, but secondly because then they'd sound like they are either make of female, and I prefer not knowing.

Sir Mp, fair enough, I didn't expect everyone to like it in 3D. In some ways I did it for myself really, just to see if I could, but I put a lot of effort into the lighting of the scenes to give a suitably artistic look to the whole thing. It did make me realise just to what degree LGG was designed to never step out of the 2D world, but I think it worked better than I had expected.

Each to their own. I'm not the kind of person who gets in a strop if some people aren't so keen on one style that I've developed, there will always be more styles to choose from, that's one of the reasons that I put so much work into finding different styles to operate in, so that if people don't like one thing then hopefully they'll like the next.

I still stand by my point though, that this section of the story would have been far harder to tell in the 2D format. Early on I tried blending 2D and 3D but it just didn't work this time, I'll give it another go in the future, now I'm more comfortable with the software I think I can make it work.
Righteous
A 2D/3D thing would look kick-ass. I like the Counceller's Encounter animation. Combine that with some 3D stuff and you'd have a masterpiece.

And I'm serious when I say this. You two could do professional voice acting. I could see (or hear, depending on how you look at it) you guys doing anime or even series animation. Goofy as it sounds, I see it as possible. Even not as a career, it would still be good pocket money.
DarkInferno
Personally I like the 3D style of the animation.. but if it takes to long then stepping back to 2D would seem a sensible option... at least now you know you can do 3D at will (and a bloody good job too)

Then again I enjoyed the slightly more serioous 'plot'y elements and I think it adds a depth to LGG that bumps her up to being my fav char.. Not that LGG should be restricted in any way to the more serious storylines...

Bravo.
Mata
Thanks for the votes of confidence. 'Good to know people are enjoying the emerging plot.

Ri, you're very kind, but clearly completely insane. Sues and I both think our voice acting was ropey, at best! It's lovely that you thought it was good, but I'm really not sure I agree with you on this one. I did even consider pulling it completely at one point, but I decided that the series really did need to move in that direction so I kept it in. I think it works well, but it's the music that brings it together, not the 'acting skills'.
Wasat
I'd have to agree you do a good job picking music for the animations, when you do have it. Do you know the artists personally? Because most of the time it seems to made for the scene. I know you had someon do music for this one. Is that always the case?
Dreams On Hiatus
I'd have to say that animation was quite deep and quite awesome. I love the 3-D work. Very cool. smile.gif
Righteous
Maybe I've just grown so used to my friends who can't act even with me screaming, "SAY MY WORDS RIGHT!" They're your words, so I figure you can pull them off fairly well or at least better than my friends can pull off mine.
Sir Maxerpopple
Query, Mata. In the blurb of the loader you mention the only permanent thing in the universe is energy. What about matter? Isn't that eternal as well or has physics passed me by?
Wasat
Actually, neither is guarenteed to be perminate because the can be converted back and form, under the right conditions of course, but still is a possiblity
Mata
QUOTE (Wasat @ Sep 12 2004, 01:22 AM)
I'd have to agree you do a good job picking music for the animations, when you do have it. Do you know the artists personally? Because most of the time it seems to made for the scene. I know you had someon do music for this one. Is that always the case?

I know the Modular Series guys personally, but everyone else are people who've contacted me through the net and offered to write music for me. Shok is the only one who writes music tailored to the animation, everyone else usually provides a selection of music that I can use and I choose the right one for the peice. The Mr Sb Island episode music was written on request for a particular style of music (I really love that music, it's precisely what I was looking for).

QUOTE (Sir Maxerpopple @ Sep 12 2004, 04:03 PM)
Query, Mata.  In the blurb of the loader you mention the only permanent thing in the universe is energy.  What about matter?  Isn't that eternal as well or has physics passed me by?

The most recent ideas that I've read suggest that matter is energy resonating at a lower frequency, or some such thing as that (I forget the exact details). I think the general feeling is that matter can be destroyed, but doing this results in energy and that energy cannot be destroyed.

From what I understand, I wouldn't quite agree with Wasat here. Energy technically can be converted into matter, but the process is more like making ice; it has different properties from water, but water is the basic state and it can return to that. Matter becomes energy when destroyed, so energy is seen as the basic state. Anyone who's read more theory about this kind of thing please feel free to correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick!
Tigersong
From what I understand, I wouldn't quite agree with Wasat here. Energy technically can be converted into matter, but the process is more like making ice; it has different properties from water, but water is the basic state and it can return to that. Matter becomes energy when destroyed, so energy is seen as the basic state. Anyone who's read more theory about this kind of thing please feel free to correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick!

I'm fairly certain you're somewhat incorrect on this point. It all comes down to Einstein's oh-so-famous-and-abused equation:

E=mc^2

Basically, matter and energy are interchangeable. Energy can be thought of as a moving wave of matter, matter as a standing wave of energy. Really, then, there is no distinction between matter and energy, it is only a matter (excuse the pun) of the state in which the energy-matter sits. So, yes, your analogy is correct, but ice and water are fundamentally the same thing, only in different states. Matter can be "destroyed" (ie. converted into energy, as in what occurs with nuclear energy) or created (ie. converted into matter from energy), but as far as I know, the latter is only theoretical and we don't observe it in the everyday world. So.

---

As for the voice acting, I think you did a good job (read: better than a lot of crappy voice acting I've come across in my life) but, lmao at "Ri, you're very kind, but clearly completely insane." I'm glad you decided to keep it. It adds an element to the animation that I think would have been sorely missing had it not been there.
Sir Maxerpopple
Indeed, sarah sounds much like I expected her to.
Righteous
[spam]

Just like Samurai Ozaki?

[/spam]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.