Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Little Goth Girl's First Date
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > About the animations
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mata
Yes, isn't it spooky how the male characters on my site all sound like me and the female ones all like Sues?
Righteous
Yeah, I have noticed that. tongue.gif Spooky indeed!
Wasat
Oh I wonder why that is. rolleyes.gif tongue.gif innocent.gif
CoyoteMax
I have to say, this is my first introduction to "lgg".

And I must say, coming from this perspective, it's bloody amazing. I rank this episode in my top 5 web encountered animations.

I watched the other episodes to get the storyline so far, and while I enjoy them, I keep finding myself coming back to this episode and rewatching it. I understand that it took you bloody ages to make, but the results are well worth it. If they were all done like this, I'd buy the whole series on DVD in an instant smile.gif

The voices, the animation, and the music blend perfectly. Speaking of the music, I don't suppose there'll be a way at any point that a copy of that will be available? It's a gorgeous piece smile.gif
Mata
Thanks CM, I was hoping that this one might introduce a few new people to the series. There's no way that I can afford to spend this amount of time making the animations every time, so it'll be back into 2D mostly for the future.

I'll ask Shok about the music when he gets off tour (sometime in December). It belongs to him really, so any distribution would need his permision.
sjwt
QUOTE (CoyoteMax @ Sep 13 2004, 11:40 AM)
I have to say, this is my first introduction to "lgg".

And I must say, coming from this perspective, it's bloody amazing.  I rank this episode in my top 5 web encountered animations.

I watched the other episodes to get the storyline so far, and while I enjoy them, I keep finding myself coming back to this episode and rewatching it.  I understand that it took you bloody ages to make, but the results are well worth it.  If they were all done like this, I'd buy the whole series on DVD in an instant smile.gif

The voices, the animation, and the music blend perfectly.  Speaking of the music, I don't suppose there'll be a way at any point that a copy of that will be available?  It's a gorgeous piece smile.gif

Ok everyone pounce on the newbie!!
Righteous
QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 13 2004, 10:10 AM)
I was hoping that this one might introduce a few new people to the series.

My friends really liked it. I went back and played some of the other episodes and they dug them, too. I think I made a few converts.
Sarah the Spider
I know I'm late on the draw, but only by about a week. tongue.gif

Mata, you're splenidincredible. So cool in fact that I had to combine those two words. wink.gif I really liked this last animation. It was gorgeously done, and I liked the angles a lot, particularly of the city when you zoomed in and out. It really is some great work and I hope you're very proud of yourself.

*gives Mata cookie*

All that being said, I do have to admit there's something I didn't like...Sarah's voice. It was cute and everything, but that's just it...It was really cute. Little Goth Girl + Cute Voice = Meh? Oh well. That's the only thing, and I'll probably even warm up to it in future episodes.

Oh, and a quick opinion: Don't ever go back and change the originals, even if you get the time. I like knowing you started from some primitive, insane kittens to grow into all of this. It shows how talented you are, and there's also something comforting about being able to see the cartoon that completely hooked me on your stuff. I guess the selfish thing goes lots of different ways, nyaa?

smile.gif
Mata
Thanks Sarah, 'glad you liked it.

It's always hard getting the right voice for a character, that's why I don't ever intend giving Mittens & Snowdrop voices, but I think it was time to give LGG one. The general response has been good, so I think I got closer with this first try than I was expecting to!

If I ever do go back to the old animations then I will add new versions as optional special edition versions and leave the originals alone.
sjwt
QUOTE (Sarah the Spider @ Sep 14 2004, 02:27 AM)
I know I'm late on the draw, but only by about a week.  tongue.gif

Mata, you're splenidincredible.  So cool in fact that I had to combine those two words.  wink.gif  I really liked this last animation.  It was gorgeously done, and I liked the angles a lot, particularly of the city when you zoomed in and out.  It really is some great work and I hope you're very proud of yourself. 

*gives Mata cookie*

All that being said, I do have to admit there's something I didn't like...Sarah's voice.  It was cute and everything, but that's just it...It was really cute.  Little Goth Girl + Cute Voice = Meh?  Oh well.  That's the only thing, and I'll probably even warm up to it in future episodes. 

Oh, and a quick opinion: Don't ever go back and change the originals, even if you get the time.  I like knowing you started from some primitive, insane kittens to grow into all of this.  It shows how talented you are, and there's also something comforting about being able to see the cartoon that completely hooked me on your stuff.  I guess the selfish thing goes lots of different ways, nyaa?

smile.gif

Damm it LGG is cuitie..
execpt when the red eyes strike..

'How fine you look when dressed in rage. Your enemies are fortunate that your condition is not permanent. And you're lucky too; red eyes suit so few.' -Cheshire Cat, American Mcgee's Alice
Mata
Fabulous quote there, I may just use that in the next epidsode's intro (with credit to you for finding it of course!).
sjwt
QUOTE (Mata @ Sep 16 2004, 04:30 PM)
Fabulous quote there, I may just use that in the next epidsode's intro (with credit to you for finding it of course!).

Thanks =>

The real question is have you played the game??

The story line its self is the most imporatned part, the game play coud of been a lot better, but it looks all dark and maddend =>
Mata
I've heard it's a very interesting game but I've never got around to it. I try to avoid putting too many games on my PC because I have enough distractions from getting on with work as it is.
DarkInferno
I have played it... and have a copy if you want a go... but its a little too 'walkthroughy' at the start for me... but alice looks hot in those boots... then again boots have always done it for me...
witchblade_babe
~poof~ whoa this place has changed a lot.... its sad i never am able to get on here any more. i wonder if anyone rem. me? tongue.gif me one of the frist ones on here
~points~ see look at my #

anyway LOVE the animation. LGG is still and will always be my fav. this one came out great. i wonder where the story line is going but time will tell hmm?
wonderfull job mata ^^V

~kesh
Righteous
Hey, Babe. I recall wondering where you were a while ago.

Yeah,this storyline's getting thick. I'm seriously liking it.
Mata
Blimey! Very long time no see W.B.! What've you been up to?
Mutilation
Isn't it kinda saddening when such an experienced member types like that aswell?
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Sep 19 2004, 07:14 PM)
Isn't it kinda saddening when such an experienced member types like that aswell?

You mean, courteously and with respect for others? Yeah, I guess you would find that strange.
Polocrunch
Oooh, burn!

tongue.gif
Mata
QUOTE (Mutilation @ Sep 19 2004, 06:14 PM)

Mu, the running of this forum is my business. If WB's style was a consistent problem then this would be an issue for me to raise privately with her. If you have a problem with her style of writing then you privately raise that as an issue with me and let me deal with it. I have spent a long time debating things with you in private because I did not feel that such discussions were either approptiate or important for anyone else on the forums to see. I suggest you give the same respect to other people that I have accorded to you.

I have shown you a lot of patience, now just because I have done this does not mean that you are immune, it only means that I believe that you are perfectly capable of learning what is an appropriate thing to post in public. This is you stepping over that line again and you are running out of get-out-of-jail-free cards.
Cath Sparrow
Now thats a burn! ph34r.gif
witchblade_babe
QUOTE (Righteous @ Sep 17 2004, 11:00 PM)
Hey, Babe. I recall wondering where you were a while ago.

Yeah,this storyline's getting thick. I'm seriously liking it.

awwww i was missed ^-^V thank you righteous and mata its nice to know im rembered(sp? o_O;; ) even if i never have the time to get on here (not to metion no internet unless i go home ~sigh~) what i've been up to? hmm working, getting my own place and now tryin to set up what i need to to open my own store ^^V
Sir Psycho Sexy
wow, old skool

</spammity>

remember me? no? little after you time perhaps
Azrael The Cat
Sarah blushing was so cute! That music was rather catchy too.

I had a bit of a chuckle when I heard her voice and saw the words as well. I remember I always heard a voice in my head reading her lines before (as I do while reading anything) and thought that it would be cool to make an animation where all the character's lines were captioned comic book style. I'm saying comic book style because I remember this game for the Sega Genesis (I think it was called the MegaDrive in Europe or something like that) about a comic book writer that writes a comic on magic paper and ends up trapped inside his own creation by the villain of it. I have no idea what it was called now, but it was cool. It had your classic 2D side scrolled animation, but framed in a 24/Timecode/Hulk kinda way and there was music and effect but all the dialogue was through speech bubbles I thought it'd be cool to hear then read those lines as well, lol.

Anyway.... Ever wonder that if the quantum theoreticists are right, then perhaps there exists a universe where God does exist and/or one where he doesn't? And if he exists in some universes and not other, how far does his power spreads? How do his attributes change from universe to universe? I don't know, I don't think I can put into words what I think about whenever I heard someone having that kind of conversation (because, face it, those are things lots of ppl talk about at some point or another).........

As for the speculation part, I was hoping not to get into it, but since someone mentioned that being a security carrier into specialized transport watching your date about to get knived could mean a lot of things. Maybe he's kinda like the guy in The Collector...... Or maybe he's trying to prevent armageddon. I'm thinking he might be testing her to see if she really is capable of going to the dark side...... Before puching her over the edge.

How much have you written ahead anyway? Have you thought about spinning this into something else? How about a movie? Lol. You are a good writter and your talent seems to be constantly developing. Kudos on puching yourself, that's always a noble attribute.

Your acting was capable. And I mean that as a compliment. I love how your animation still has the same style and feel to it even with the added dimension. I was wondering how different this would be from the previous and I'm glad you've chosen the road of improvement over that of change. smile.gif

On a final note, yes, you do have good taste in music. What are the main artists you listen to?
Righteous
I remember this game for the Sega Genesis (I think it was called the MegaDrive in Europe or something like that) about a comic book writer that writes a comic on magic paper and ends up trapped inside his own creation by the villain of it. I have no idea what it was called now, but it was cool.

COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE!
CommieBastard
That game was wicked awesome cool.
Jonman
I'm assuming that the diner is purposely modelled on that one that features in the painting by that American bloke who paints american urban scenes? And also the Boulevard of Broken Dreams

yeah, check out the edumacation on me.
Mata
What, you mean the diner that is called 'Hopper's Pizza' and looks exactly like the one in the painting called The Nighthawks by Edward Hopper, as was discussed in this thread here:

http://www.matazone.co.uk/forums/index.php...ndpost&p=240123

?

No, that's completely coincidental.
Jonman
No, not that one, the other diner....

*grabs coat*
Oni Usagi
Oops, I replied to something I thought was the most recent post, and as it turns out the question had already been answered.
cait
Nooooooo! *cries* I don't like where this is going. I FEAR change! This is like when the pink panther started talking. *sniffle* Scewing my perception on what I thought was and now realize is completely different. How COULD YOU?!! *takes a few deep breaths* Sarah isn't little goth girl anymore, she's growing uuuuup!! Noooooooo!!!

But with this new found plotline thing going on...you should definitely concider a comic book (now that comics have been mentioned). I think that would be so rad. ^^
Azrael The Cat
QUOTE (cait @ Sep 22 2004, 04:10 PM)
But with this new found plotline thing going on...you should definitely concider a comic book (now that comics have been mentioned).  I think that would be so rad.  ^^

That'd be awesome! Maybe he can get himself on SLG! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (righteous)
COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE! COMIX ZONE!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

That game did rock. I should try and find a copy of it. Of course, someone recently stole my genesis, so I guess I'd have to do a pawn shop hunt and get a nother one.
Mata
Comics take far too long, need to be written far too quickly, and have a fairly small chance of ever being distributed... So for the moment I'll stick to animating. Anyway, I'm not a very good comic book artist, I always want to animate things.
Azrael The Cat
Animated comic perhaps? Like you sugested to the Alpha Shade guy..... Speaking of Alpha Shade, I should re-check that site. The artwork owns.
JimiJimi
It was good, but it took me a while to really get to grips with what was going on. It was much darker than the other animations and contained more blood (mmm) and it really kicked serious ass. But then again, I still like the clunky animations from yesteryear. Mittens and Snowdrop (what a classic) and Mr Snaffleburger (keep em comin) - just jazz em up a bit with sounds and stuff like that etc. I'd like to know if that was Swift 3D, cos I really have been wanting to get into 3D for a while.

Jimi
Pab
I say the boyfriend is Death. But I hope I'm wrong, cos that would spoil it, methinks ... meaning it would be a shame to guess it right cos then some of the suspense is lost ... ya know?

(edited cos it wasnt clear)
~mad_marty~
I've been a fan of LGG for a while now. I must say that my only complaints is that it takes so long for them to get up onto the net!

Ive got my own ideas of "the universe" and "fate". I frankly believe that the "universe" is the invention of human imagination. Reality is merely a perception.

Nonetheless, I absolutely love the LGG animations. You chose the voices well. They are near to exact what I had imagined them to be. A job well done!

-------
~Mad Marty~
Mata
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Sep 23 2004, 05:09 PM)
I'd like to know if that was Swift 3D, cos I really have been wanting to get into 3D for a while.

Hi Jimi, yes, that was made using Swift. There's a great book about it published by Friends of ED too which was completely essential to me in getting to grips with the software quickly. If you get the software then pick up a copy of Foundation Swift 3D too, it really makes life easier.

Swift 4 has recently come out, and isn't covered in the book, but hopefully the book should give you a very solid grounding in the basics of the program so you can get your head around the new features easily.

QUOTE (~mad_marty~ @ Sep 24 2004, 03:30 AM)
I've been a fan of LGG for a while now. I must say that my only complaints is that it takes so long for them to get up onto the net!

Well, I'm sure you're aware of the reasons for this!

Ive got my own ideas of "the universe" and "fate". I frankly believe that the "universe" is the invention of human imagination. Reality is merely a perception.

While our only experience of the world is through our senses, so there is no concrete evidence that the world outside exists, this does lead you to a deeper question of the reasons for you imagining reality to be like this. If it is all in your mind then why not imagine a more perfect world? Or perhaps your subconscious doesn't actually like you, which doesn't really make much sense, so it is rational to belief that there is something else that is enforcing rules on your imagination to ensure that you do not end up grand ruler of the world, which in turn means that there must be some reality outside of your imagination that you are not aware of.

Even if your are imagining everything that is happening in this world, the restrictions on this existence means that there are rules operating against you that you are not aware of so there must be a further reality to what you see here. This would have to be an external reality that you have carefully forgotten so that you are now entirely unaware of its nature. Maybe the matrix has you!

Then again, a more elegant solution to this conundrum would be that this is in fact one level of reality that we are experiencing through our senses and that the physical world most likely does exist.

I think the phrase that you are thinking of is cognito ergo sum - I think therefore I am. This means that the only thing that an individual can be sure of before anything else is their own existence because they are self-aware. Past this all things have to be deductions based on evidence. Currently the evidence weighs more heavily on the idea of my senses showing me physical reality, but I am open minded to this changing in future. Until it does change though I'm not about to begin believing that this is all entirely false. Some of it probably is, but not all of it.
cait
I think that the subconscious is limitted to itself and so cannot allow you to imagine a more perfect world than what already is. What I mean is that the subconscious is just like anything else. For instance, an apple cannot be an orange or a pear or a microwave or puppy. None of these things but an apple can be an apple. So the subconscious can be nothing but what it already is. Everything that you know is part of your subconscious, and everything you will ever learn is a part of your subconscious. All of it is not in light, but it is all there. So I think that reality does exist within yourself, within your own subconscious.

Perhaps the unconscious and the self are the same thing. You cannot be anything but yourself. If you are not a ruler of the world you cannot be one. Though it is true that you can imagine yourself ruler of the world and you can imagine a more perfect world, that does not mean there is one to exist. The only thing that exists is the thought of it. Thoughts are a part of the mind, but it is not thoughts which soley make up the mind. Thoughts do not govern the mind, rather the mind governs thoughts. Thoughts can be in the form of anything, but because the mind is above the thoughts, it has a way of directing them into their proper order; into what they are and what will come from them.

Everything is real, and because you are using your mind to see it, you are indeed imagining it. The mind governs the way in which you see things, and so controls what you see. In my opinion, the mind is the whole you, even the parts unknown or not in light currently, so there is nothing outside of the self that is governing the way the world works.

Somebody said that everything you experience is experienced because it is already a part of your mind. If it were not a part of your mind it would not exist to you. I feel that the world is a part of your mind. Nothing can exist outside of the mind because mind IS everything.

This is not an argument about mind over matter because I think matter is a part of mind.

It is hard though, to imagine other selves outside of yourself. Perhaps then, everyone is a part of the subconscious. Or to put it another way everyone has subconscious, and there is no such thing as plural subconsciouses, otherwise it would be impossible for us to interact because there is nothing in existance external to this. There is no such thing as an external existance. We cannot imagine one because it does not exist.

Erm... *becomes suddenly self-conscious* maybe I should not rant so much...

Socrates was right, turning an intuitive truth into a coherant philosophy is damn hard.
JimiJimi
Err... I think I'll change the topic back to LGG... I think all that needs improving is the Monks voice. Too boring and (no offence) Mata-like. He should sound deeper and spookier, and reverby. Ok, alot of people would argue that the fact it doesn't make much sense for the first few times you watch it is something that needs improving, but who here has seen 2001: a space odyssey (I have the rare gift of spelling that right), or indeed most films by Stanley Kubrick? None of his movies really made any sense at all, especially the monoliths, and no-one complained, so... well... yeah.

Anyway, that's my opinion...
cait
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Sep 29 2004, 03:06 PM)
Err... I think I'll change the topic back to LGG... I think all that needs improving is the Monks voice. Too boring and (no offence) Mata-like. He should sound deeper and spookier, and reverby. Ok, alot of people would argue that the fact it doesn't make much sense for the first few times you watch it is something that needs improving, but who here has seen 2001: a space odyssey (I have the rare gift of spelling that right), or indeed most films by Stanley Kubrick? None of his movies really made any sense at all, especially the monoliths, and no-one complained, so... well... yeah.

Anyway, that's my opinion...

Well, I definitely would never read what I just wrote either.

I have to admit I was slightly bored-stricken by the way the voices came together, however I have a short attention span. I don't understand your meaning of "Mata-like" though, care to elaborate?

Hmm, you have good spelling, but what about capitalization? Hmm? Ever think of that? ;p

And sure people complain about Stanley Kubrick. I was absolutely repulsed by Clockwork Orange. It was just a terrible terrible movie and I can't believe the number of people who love it. He didn't even write it and he still managed to allow it to lose most of the sense it should have had.
darknezz
ok i would just like to say, although i still respect it and it is very deep, this is your worst one yet. i just didnt like the "3d" (if you can call it that) stuff and i dont know it was just kind of boring compared to other ones. but still deep and it is developing the story well. stick to the good old stuff though, and dont even think about changin your old ones.

P.S. to Meta: DAMN!!!!! ive allways wanted one of the Hack Corporate Reality t-shirts since i saw em along time ago, and was actually planning on buying one in a few weeks. well i havnt visted your site in awile, im sorry, and didnt get the email about your store closing until today!!! uh so what i am saying is if you have any extra in Large i would be willing to pay extra, thanks email me if this is posible
ezekiel_100@hotmail.com
darknezz
*just read the last posts above mine*
i liked clockwork orange hahaha

haha im a guppy
cait
I don't know what that has to do with fish but... I read the book first and so was drawn to dislike the butchery that was done in the movie.
JimiJimi
Hmm, you have good spelling, but what about capitalization? Hmm? Ever think of that? ;p

Sorry to point this out to you, but '2001: a space odyssey' was never capitalised.
And to prove it view the cover

And by Mata-like I mean... well... just listen to the voice-overs on Mr. Snaffleburger or anything else he's 'voiced-over'

No-offense Mata, but it's true. (Cowers from Mata's raving fist)
mooooooooooopo
Sorry to change the topic back to mind over matter and suchlike but:

Theres a theory I heard which states that with the current rate of increase in computing power we will eventually be able to simulate an entire universe down to a subatomic level.
If we can do that once we can do it infinite times in parallel so suddenly there is the possibility of infinite fake universes within a single real universe (or infinite real universes each possibly containing infinite fake universes), and possibly nesting further fake universes inside the fake universes. All this means the probability of us being in the real one and not one of the fake ones becomes 1 in infinity, so the probability of us being real is infinitely slim. Should you actually believe in any of the above, that is.

I'm not really advocating that theory nor denying it, and I'm still undecided on my opinion of such things, just trying to stimulate the discussion and add an interesting idea.
Mata
Two things:

1) Yes, I know I tend to sound the same on pretty much everything. I try to change my voice a bit, but frankly I'm a bit rubbish at it, and most of my attempts at accents are dire. The only one I'm vaguely good at it Irish, but I didn't want the monk to be Irish, so I just had to hope that people wouldn't mind too much.

2) Moop, that's a really flawed proposition. The rate of increase in computing power cannot continue at the level that it currently is because there is a finite limit to how small you can make switches.

Also, you can never know perfectly the state of even a single atom due to some quantum law of other saying that you can't measure both the direction and speed of one atom (or something like that... It's been a long time since I read up on the more esoteric bits, I just remember what the meaning was), so even if there was infinite computing power then it still could not predict what would happen next in the universe.

Even if it was possible, you then begin to get into the old story about the king who wanted a map that was as accurate as possible, so he was made a map the size of his table, but it was not totally accurate, so they made one more detailed that was the size of his castle, but it was still not accurate, so they made one the size of the city, but it was still not accurate, so they made one that was completely accurate, and it covered the whole of his land perfectly, but then people were no longer certain whether they were living in their house or the map of their house.
mooooooooooopo
Like I said, I don't advocate that theory and it seems very fragile, but it's an interesting idea all the same.

I may have corrupted the actually theory there by stating it as a precise simulation of every atom and so on, I think the original theory wasnt specific on the how and factored in multiple universes such that there is a chance that not only are they inhabited but they contain civilisations capable of building such things. Though, even if you could accurately predict the state (and indeed the rules) for each particle there most likely wouldn't be enough matter in the universe to build the memory for this thing, considering that it somehow has to store the state of every atom in your fake universe.

I'm not going to argue (or debate) anyways, arguing with Mata seems to prove fruitless, and I have minimal knowledge of the subject area and was just relating an idea I heard and found interesting.

*shuts up and finds simpler something simpler and less mind boggling to do*
cait
QUOTE (JimiJimi @ Oct 2 2004, 08:15 AM)

Sorry to point this out to you, but '2001: a space odyssey' was never capitalised.

Ooh, see I did not know that. I in fact had no idea what this space odyssey thing was. I was just assuming that regular conventions applied. And now I realize I should stop assuming that gravity is going to hold up in every situation. *cowers in fear of flying off the planet*

QUOTE (moop @ Oct 2 2004, 07:07 PM)
Sorry to change the topic back to mind over matter and suchlike but:

Theres a theory I heard which states that with the current rate of increase in computing power we will eventually be able to simulate an entire universe down to a subatomic level.
If we can do that once we can do it infinite times in parallel so suddenly there is the possibility of infinite fake universes within a single real universe (or infinite real universes each possibly containing infinite fake universes), and possibly nesting further fake universes inside the fake universes. All this means the probability of us being in the real one and not one of the fake ones becomes 1 in infinity, so the probability of us being real is infinitely slim. Should you actually believe in any of the above, that is.

I'm not really advocating that theory nor denying it, and I'm still undecided on my opinion of such things, just trying to stimulate the discussion and add an interesting idea.

On fake universes: I don't think there is a such thing. I think that if all these universes were somehow able to occur, they would have to be less perfect than the one harboring them (and if they were equally as perfect than they'd be the same and so just as real). But less perfect does not mean fake, it simply implies that it's a copy or kind of reflection. Kind of like Plato's theory of Forms. Actually in essense the way I interpret the theory you've described is that it's exactly the same as Plato's theory. Well with slight differences...maybe... Okay what I think is that in order to make all of these universes every little thing would have to be planned somewhere ... those plans are like the forms, right?

But anyway, to get away from Plato (why did you let me read the Republic?) I just don't think that it's fake. You don't know what created the universe you're in or what is maintaining it and you KNOW it's real, so all these 'fake' universes would be equally as real within the universe. It's basically like putting two mirrors in front of eachother and looking into one and seeing infinite mirrors in it, but you can't say which mirror reflection is real--they're all equally as fake--but in the fact that they are reflections they are all equally as real. Oh...oh, I don't know...I can't make a solid statement about this. These are really good ideas, but I ... I'm just not literate enough. My brain hurts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.