Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Imac G5
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
froggle-rock
That's right, I started to hyperventalate when I saw the new iMac G5. Tears to come to my eyes. -Before I even saw the specifications! blink.gif

Scary thing? -I'm being serious, my Ma was slightly concerned. (After I calmed down though she started to take the mickey. -No doubt my whole family know by now!)

I think I'm in love. -But I'm seriously freaked that an inanimate object cause such an emotional reaction.

On the one hand it's *just* bits of plastic and metal.

On the other however external looks are clean, smooth and uncomplicated, whilst internals like:160GB hard drive; CD-RW/ DVD-R; internal ethernet; Airport Extreame (wireless); 1.8GHz processor. clicky wub.gif

I guess this raises the point of people worshiping 'other' gods.

Am I the only one to feel this way about an Apple, moreover the sight of a 'new' computer? Has anyone else ever given such a reaction in a simular situation?
Pab
Yes

Colour me rigid with rapture.
froggle-rock
*salavates*

Editing on those would be like the sensation of denim on freshly shaved legs!
Oni Usagi
QUOTE (Pab @ Sep 22 2004, 06:15 AM)
Yes

Colour me rigid with rapture.

That was cruel and unusual showing me that. Just cause I'll never have one. sad.gif
DarkInferno
/me smiles and strokes his 2560x1024 duel headed beastie.

I'm seriously considering going to a triple headed machine soon, but i don't really have the deskspace atm. so that might have to wait for a while.

I'd never go back to 1 display on my desktop. (or a mouse with less then 5 buttons)
Pab
QUOTE (DarkInferno @ Sep 22 2004, 07:53 PM)
/me smiles and strokes his 2560x1024 duel headed beastie.

I'm seriously considering going to a triple headed machine soon, but i don't really have the deskspace atm. so that might have to wait for a while.

I'd never go back to 1 display on my desktop. (or a mouse with less then 5 buttons)

ditto ditto ditto and not so sure about the mouse ...

My sceens are big, but crappy old fashioned space wasters ... I could never be with less than 2 screens though.

If we sell our apartment, I might even get one of those triple babies...

hmmm ... that screen, or place to live? ... hmmm
DarkInferno
those displays are a bit bloody pricy thou.... 19k for the 92" (whats that.. 23" x 4?)

I'll make ya one for 15k
froggle-rock
those displays are a bit bloody pricy thou.... 19k for the 92" (whats that.. 23" x 4?)

I'll make ya one for 15k

A bit, I could put down a deposite on a house with (~) £10K.

$15k, bargin! tongue.gif

One is realastic in my current finacial situation. Two is practicle. Three is prefered. And four?- well I could rule the world with four.
Mr Fuzzy
QUOTE (DarkInferno @ Sep 22 2004, 06:53 PM)

Only a 5 button mouse? |/|00|3! Mine has 8! *Wishes there was a rasberry blowing smiley for the sake of amusement*

Seriously though, if you end up needing a new keyboard and mouse I heartily recommend the Logitech cordless desktop MX. It's quite lovely.
mooooooooooopo
My dual monitors could definitely do with an upgrade:

(The small one mainly being used for comedy value)

I've heard go-l.com are a pretty dodgy company though for some reason or another, but the gorgeousness of their products is undeniable laugh.gif .
froggle-rock

*Peeing_Frogg salavates
Oni: holy s***
Peeing_Frogg: no, really, I am.

Edit: This is not a picture of my computer and sound set up. tongue.gif
Mr Fuzzy
That looks liable to say 'I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.' so loud your ears bleed. Never trust a machine you'd need a van to take to a game.
Wasat
That's goes to show you have too much time and money on your hands.
I need some being a poor, engineering college student. So can I have some, please
Mata
More likely it's a small recording studio. They have everything that that a professional tech would need. Probably an electronica artist I would guess, judging by the location of the speakers.
Xkitsurabamix
We just ordered a new apple...thingy. My mom said that it's 'the newest model' and she's getting 'all of the updates' possible. we ordered it a few days ago, but she checked the website, and there's a brand-new version of it that just 'came out yesterday'...could that be what she was talking about? if so...then i'll take some pics of it to make you hyperventilate some more, dear.
Feyliya
QUOTE (funked)out_frog @ Sep 22 2004, 08:58 PM)
One is realastic in my current finacial situation.  Two is practicle.  Three is prefered. And four?- well I could rule the world with four.

I rule the world and Limecats are not pleased*! tongue.gif I just hooked my fiancee's moniter, my roomie's gigantic 21" moniter, and my roomie's bigscreen TV to my laptop, along with a b!tchin' 5.1 surround system that can knock you on your @$$ and shake down the apartment! I must take a picture to show you guys!

*This Limecat is my desktop image:
Mutilation
How much RAM does the Mac have? 250 or 500?

Half the size, half the RAM I say!
froggle-rock
Mu, lifted from the mac site, pertaining the Mac I started the topic about.

Memory: 256MB (supports up to 2GB) DDR (Double Data Rate) SDRAM (Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory).
Mata
Currently my PC's on about 1.5GB RAM, which is rather fun. It also has more than one mouse button wink.gif
Wasat
[envious]

I'm stuck with my P-IIIM 1.2 GHz with 256 MB PC-133 SDRAM laptop

(need...new .. system, but need cash first)
JimiJimi
How many people actually have trackballs? From the looks of the picture, I'd say frog has one.

I've got a Logitech Trackman Wireless. Kicks ass. Apart from that my computer sucks, but I have bought a fair bit for it...

The Pinball Wizard plays Pinball you know...
mooooooooooopo
I just got a quad head (ie. 4 output) graphics card off eBay biggrin.gif
Roll on silly amount of monitors based goodness.

Since people seem to be quoting their specs:

Shuttle SK41G with and Athlon XP 1900+ and 512meg of DDR RAM, GeForce FX 5700 (Dual head + TV Out) - getting a bit old now but still plays Doom 3 at a reasonable pace, let down by the fact it runs Windows.

Asus Terminator with an Athlon XP 2000+ and 256meg of DDR and a crappy built in graphics card and now the quad head beast too, running FreeBSD 4.10 as a web browsing, coding and general server duties machine.

Also, the impressively small but damned slow (120Mhz) laptop of goodness, also running FreeBSD.
froggle-rock
QUOTE (Mata @ Nov 18 2004, 06:49 PM)
Currently my PC's on about 1.5GB RAM, which is rather fun. It also has more than one mouse button wink.gif

Yeah, nice amount of RAM there Mata *hisses*, shame about the mouse. tongue.gif

Jimmi, that pic of the computer with all the speakers is not mine, lol.

The only people I know who use trackballs are people with very limited space.

Xkitsurabamix, do you got de new Mac yet? happy.gif
mooooooooooopo
A mate of mine is a trackball obsessive, and about the only person I know who can play games with one and actually be good at it. I'm getting there thanks to using one for a few months when I was working for a CAD company doing web design, since they didn't have an alternative, but I still think they are the work of the devil.
froggle-rock
QUOTE (Feyliya Nov 18 2004 @ 01:43 AM)
I rule the world and Limecats are not pleased*! tongue.gif I just hooked my fiancee's moniter, my roomie's gigantic 21" moniter, and my roomie's bigscreen TV to my laptop, along with a b!tchin' 5.1 surround system that can knock you on your @$$ and shake down the apartment!  I must take a picture to show you guys!

*This Limecat is my desktop image:

Bump
Have you taken a piccy yet Feyliya?
Feyliya
Ack! No, I totally forgot! I'll have to haul out John and Randy's moniters out to the living room and hook it all up again!
Laramon
It would be better if I could bring my desktop out into the living room. My computer has 3 outputs, one of which I can turn into 2 VGA outputs.

Windows XP Pro
AMD AthlonXP 3000+ overclocked to 3400+ speeds (440MHz FSB)
Shuttle AN35/N-400 Ultra Motherboard
512MB DDR400 RAM
ATI Radeon 9100pro overclocked to 485/500 (VPU speed/DDR speed)
2x80GB 7200RPM ATA133 Hard Drives
802.11b wireless networking card

Yep... yep... drool away...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.