Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The English Language
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Daft
Pages: 1, 2
Usurper MrTeapot
I've always liked when someone says "Well bugger me" (as a way of saying something like "really? wow I never knew that..." ), gets said quite a lot by old ladies on the bus. Generally I decline the offer.
Righteous
I've seen "bugger" used in an "Oh, bugger" sense. First time I heard it in said context was watching Razor Blade Smile (GREAT movie) when the cop was cornered by vampires and shot himself.

And Mr. Teapot, I never heard it used in that sense. Hmm. Folks here say, "Well, I'll be damned" or something like that.

My favorite is, "Well, spank my ass and call me Charlie." tongue.gif
CommieBastard
The sense of "bugger" as "sodomise" is becoming less and less common; when it's used at all, it's really an all-purpose cuss: "Well, bugger me!", "I buggered it up", "Oh bugger", "Bugger off!"

The last one is a staple of my vocabulary...

Edit to add:

And for gothictheysay, 'bugger' is a term for anal sex and 'buggers' the practicers of anal sex.
So now you know.

I've never heard it said in the latter sense - this is probably a regional thing, as I've lived in London all my life.
Righteous
What exactly do "skint," "wonky" and "snogging" mean? I've heard the latter and thought I knew what it meant, but I guess I was wrong.

To annoy the piss out of my brother, I went on a speil using every UK slang term I knew. "TALK LIKE A F*CKING AMERICAN AND QUIT USING THOSE GAY ENGLISH WORDS! WE'RE NOT IN GAY ENGLAND!" He got really thrown off when I told him I'd throw him in front of a lorrie.
CommieBastard
QUOTE (Righteous @ Oct 6 2004, 03:49 PM)
What exactly do "skint," "wonky" and "snogging" mean? I've heard the latter and thought I knew what it meant, but I guess I was wrong.

"Skint" = poor, but usually a temporary lack of money rather than actual poverty. If you're "completely skint", you're probably waiting for your next cheque to come in rather than living on the streets.

"Wonky" = bent, in the literal sense. Not straight (again, literally).

"Snogging" = French kissing. Most people today, at least in my experience, say "pull" rather than "snog", though the former can be highly ambiguous*

*"I've pulled" can mean anything from "I got her number" to "We had sex".

Edit to add: It's "lorry" smile.gif
Righteous
Edit to add: It's "lorry"

I knew that. I was in fact testing you.

So it would be safe to say I'm skint then, I assume?

I still like the way you guys spell "cheque." "I've to check to see if I got my cheque." I get a silly little kick out of it.

"I've pulled" can mean anything from "I got her number" to "We had sex".

It's like that with scored, though one often uses a direct object. "I scored her digits (number)," versus, "Dude, I scored, dude." (the cooky thing is that these are actual quotes I and my friends have used)

Got, I haven't heard "bent" used in that sense in a long time, I think since my English cousin lived here in town.
artist.unknown
A lot of people think it more upscale. I don't know if you've gone to the Plantation (this big ritzy private community), but they use UK spellings on signs and what-not. Maybe they have the whole "British debonair" idea that my grandmama applies to herself, even though she's Chinese and was born in Jamaica.

A lot of developements are going in round where I live (ahh, Suburbialand, how I love New Yorkers and their tree-cutting, valley-flooding, SUV-smogging ways) and all of them have British-sounding names, which I think is a riot. All of them are "-shire", "Centre", and add in unnecessary U's and Y's (incorrect even by British spellings). I've even come across a London something. It's so ridiculously silly, but these people take themselves very seriously. I can't help but thinking that's it's a little insulting to the places they're named after. Then I laugh at their bumbling attempt at pretentiousness.

My Irish she-man friend's favourite insult is "gobshite". This confuses people, and they wouldn't know to be insulted if she didn't preface everything with F*ing. ^^
Polocrunch
Well, inform your friend that "gobshite" should always be preceded by "feckin'", with no exceptions. And it should be spoken in a silly Irish accent.

"Yer a feckin' gobshite, Rory, you know that?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.