Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windows Xp Ras Throttle
The Other Side forums - suitable for mature readers! > The Other Side forums > Tips and tricks
Feyliya
My fiancee and I have our computers networked at home and it's working out pretty well. The only problem is that when we go to copy files or hardware over to the other computer we are only connecting at 28.6 kbps instead of the 4 Mbps the connection says we should have. Why is that? Well, my fiancee apparently configured his Remote Access Server so that it would throttle at 28k. (He was running his own server at the time.) So now we want to turn off the throttle, and obviously we're having some trouble doing that. Randy can't for the life of him remember how he turned the danged thing on, and I'm pretty much computer illiterate in this field. Yahoo and Google searches aren't helping us find the directions, either. So I'm turning to you intelligent, amazing people. I will seriously bake a cookie for the person who successfully helps us turn this thing off.* If it makes any difference, we have Windows XP Pro edition, and we aren't running full Service Pack 2 yet. Just the Beta version they called Service Pack 2 and forced down our throats without telling us it was Beta.

*I may not mail it to them, though! tongue.gif
Mr Fuzzy
I suspect you may find the answer by looking up the tweaks for dial-up performance. They tend to be the ones which fiddle with RAS settings, so should point you at the right registry keys. I have to tell you though, using Microsoft code to limit your networking connections is a sure sign of a diseased mind...
Feyliya
Okay, I'll point his nose at your post as soon as he walks in the door tonight! I hope this is what he needs... Though I don't think he used the coding to throttle the thing. He said that when he configured his server it was an option he could set and that he just can't remember how to get to the right window. I don't think he'd be loony enough to screw around with the registry keys... But then again, he is the type to fiddle around with things...
Mr Fuzzy
Well, if I remember correctly it is controlled by registry keys but there are a number of ways to set the ones responsible for it. Unfortunately running any flavour of SP2 is rather likely to make life tricky for you. The only way it seems to work correctly is from a completely fresh installation.
Feyliya
We've already tried to install the full version of SP2 on my computer once. Suffice it to say that we're not going to do it again until they've got all the bugs identified and worked out. ::grumblegrumble::
Feyliya
Update from the fiancee:
As I was puttering around the Internet trying to find anything resembling the dialog window that I oh so long ago came upon to configure my RAS server in the first place, I found it. It was the Routing and Remote Access tool that comes with Win2k and WinXP Pro. I excitedly ran to my computer now that I remembered where it was located and... realized why I couldn't find that window... the app no longer exists on my computer for some reason...

For that reason alone, the registry keys that control my BAP (Bandwidth Allocation Protocol) settings remain hidden among the MILLIONS of Registry entries. If someone who knows how to get it back sees this before I remember how to do it, by all means help me get it back so I can turn off the RAS options that are killing our bandwidth (a LAN with only 28kbps really sucks).
Pab
Isn't it worth looking under Administrative Tools / Services and finding the Remote Access Server service in the list, and going Properties and then finding the Get Your Mits Off My Connection box? I have no idea, but this seems likely ...
Feyliya
Actually, the problem is that we need RAS for our LAN connection currently (the 10/100 port on her laptop is broken and the 10BaseT PCMCIA card I had finally died on us, so we're connected via parallel port until I get a wireless card on my PC (she has a 802.11b built in to her laptop). I will search for a solution again later, after work.
Feyliya
BUMP! We need answers!!! And just so you know, the black text is Randy, not me. I just need to get him to register here....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.